Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee

Poster: A snowHead
Really is a stunning place!

Sitting in a Winter cauldron surrounded by glaciers hanging off the numerous 4000m peaks that surround it

We were there to climb the Allalinhorn

Alas 75cm of fresh wind deposited snow on a fragile old base was a bit too much risk so we threw in the towel, took off the skins, and skied some of the powder off the sides of the piste

And jolly nice it was too!

http://youtube.com/v/g3X3MDpjW-g

Although quite a few crevasses lurking under the surface

http://youtube.com/v/vdQTKvGSU_A

Or in plain view

Access was super easy with the car park and then the 3 lifts to the summit. It was possible to ski all the way down.

Will definitely be back!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saas Fee in April is one of my ski musts so, hopefully, will arrive on Easter Monday!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great stuff BobinCH - thanks for sharing the pics. Yes, SF is a fantastic place.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was there on my first ski holiday in 1972 (Hotel Allalin). Loved it. Not been back. A pilgrimage is on bucket list.

Sorry it reads like a telegram. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I learn't to ski in Saas-Fee in '89, and I've been back pretty much every year since, but I now spend most of my time outside the prepared pistes.

The change to the glacier in those 30 years is dramatic, with numerous runs lost and lifts decomissioned.

When conditions are better, take a guide and do the Saas-Almagell run from the Metro mid station (you can't get out without a certified guide). Without touring the run is pretty good, but with skins there are endless options Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It is a great place. As a Zermatt part time resident I am embarrassed to say I have only been there once. I must correct that.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Allalinhorn is a good day out, some nasty crevasses on the way down these days! Better luck next time!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My daughter spent 3 weeks there in September training. It looked brilliant
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobinCH, we are tempted to pop down for a weekend - any hotel recommendations?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@BobinCH, we are tempted to pop down for a weekend - any hotel recommendations?

Sorry first visit for me and didn’t stay so no experience of the hotels
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Park Hotel excellent host and centrally located
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jill t, thank you
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Having paid 80chf for a day ticket shows just how good value the Magic Pass is at 400chf for the year!!! Saas Fee with its height and touring potential is a cracking addition
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
Having paid 80chf for a day ticket shows just how good value the Magic Pass is at 400chf for the year!!! Saas Fee with its height and touring potential is a cracking addition

What is the Magic Pass Robin? I have a Valais Pass that I use for Saas Fee and Verbier (I have an annual pass for Zermatt).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JohnMo wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

What is the Magic Pass Robin? I have a Valais Pass that I use for Saas Fee and Verbier (I have an annual pass for Zermatt).

https://www.magicpass.ch/fr/

399chf if you get in early
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, Allalin is still good too, but a short bus ride or reasonable walk to the lift
snow conditions
twoodwar wrote:
@Nadenoodlee, Allalin is still good too, but a short bus ride or reasonable walk to the lift

Glad to hear it - as I suspect things have changed significantly in the 50 years Shocked since I was there.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Thanks Robin. That is really interesting. Unfortunately I don’t spend enough time in Switzerland travelling to other resorts so it probably wouldn’t make sense for me. Maybe one day!
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Interesting looking at the list of resorts covered by the Magic Pass. Some well known "international" resorts but mostly smaller local ones. Looks excellent value for anyone living close to the area. I hope to have 3 weeks at different Swiss resorts this coming season, but none of them are in the list covered by Magic Pass!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy