Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot shell moulding - foam pieces on liners

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Last week I got my right boot shell moulded at the ski store to increase volume on my instep (boot started causing forefoot pain after about 45 mins of skiing in the fridge). As part of the process, the boot fitter placed pieces of foam on the exterior of my boot liner in strategic places to facilitate the stretching.

When we were done I took the boots back with me and I tried them on a couple of days later and the boot seemed more tight if anything. The foam pieces are still attached to the liner, so perhaps I was supposed to remove these Puzzled

I feel like it might just be me not seeing the obvious that you should take the foam off for stretching the boot?

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It sounds like they should come off, but I'd check with the boot fitter.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi @itsLiamFleming, welcome to Snowheads.

Why not just call the ski store, speak to the fitter and ask?

Maybe it's just lost in translation but I am struggling to understand how the foam aids the stretching. My understanding was the boot shell needs to be heated and pushed out, presumably with something hard, to expand/stretch it a little. Then left to cool.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Layne, yeah I probably should just call, I was mostly just wanting to make sure that I wasn't missing something completely obvious.

I guess rather than foam it's like these adhesive pads that he stuck to the exterior of the liner. I would assume the resistance from the additional layer would give the shell just that extra mm or so of room. Maybe foam was not the best way to describe them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne, I think the foam pads are added so that the boot is stretched just beyond the compressed foot. The hard thing stretching it is your foot. The foot will be compressed slightly by the boot and the boot by the foot while stretching takes place so the pads compensate for that compression. When they are removed the boot now fits to the relaxed size of the foot.

But that's just my thoughts
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@itsLiamFleming, I had some shell stretching done on a previous boot at Solutions4Feet and as I recall they just marked on the outer the pinch points where it needed stretching. I don't recall the use of any pads. Logically the stretch/punching out is to give the bits of the foot that are pinched the opportunity to push out the inner boot into the extra mm of space in the shell. I see no use for pads, except perhaps as a way of highlighting where the pinch points were.

The only other reason for the pads would be because there is extra mm of space in certain places. Generally you can't make the shell smaller. So pads could be used to take out the space and make for a snug fit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I had boots fitted at solutions for feet they stuck the pads to my ankle bones under my socks then put the heated liners on, then the boots and tightened the whole lot up and let them cool, hence releasing the pressure on the ankle bones. I suppose they do different things under different circumstances.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, yeah, I had exactly the same thing. But that is different I think to what the OP the is describing. Maybe.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Did they stretch the boot/shell...

by heating it then putting you in it and buckling up...
or by assessing where it was tight and then warming that specific area and working it from the inside to create more room?

I suspect the first and the pads were to create more pressure in those areas and push the shell out/compress the liner there. In which case I'd expect they should be removed after.

Caveat... Im not about fitter.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
adithorp wrote:

or by assessing where it was tight and then warming that specific area and working it from the inside to create more room?

I suspect the first and the pads were to create more pressure in those areas and push the shell out/compress the liner there. In which case I'd expect they should be removed after.

this is what i think - the fitter forgot to remove the pads
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
adithorp wrote:

Have you given into the cake stops on your bike rides then?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
adithorp wrote:

Yeah it was a case of heating the boot in the oven (both the shell and liner with the pads placed in offending areas and then clamping the hot boot to my foot and cooling.

It was mostly that the pads were adhered onto the liner and left that had thrown me a bit. It's my first pair of boots so I'm anxious to get them right...

I'll check with the shop this afternoon, but I suspect you and the other snowHead are right, that the pads should be taken off.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@itsLiamFleming,

Before you peel them off... snowHead
There are other reasons for having bits of foam attached to the liner. My liners have all sorts of bits of foam and felt glued to them to help with holding the foot better and performance tweaks.
So good plan to check with the bootfitter first Madeye-Smiley

New boots should feel tight. Unless you have old school race injected liners they will pack down so you don't want them loose to start with.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
adithorp wrote:

Have you given into the cake stops on your bike rides then?

I'm old school and have always stopped for cake.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy