Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another helmet thread, Covid related

Poster: A snowHead
It seems that Austria at least, is om course to having masks on lifts. If it's going to be a demand on all lifts, how will you put a mask on and take it off with your helmet on? Are you going to ski with the mask on? Are you going to revert to wearing a beanie? Ski with the mask on your chin?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sugardaddy, mask on chin, pulled up on lift
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Same way you put sunglasses on. My helmet doesnt cover my ears

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 28-09-21 7:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used a buff last year und put the mask underneath it using the buff to hold it in place when required.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Same way you put sunglasses on. My helmet doesnt cover my ears

Most helmets do cover the ears. Sunglasses are sat ON your ears, mask bands go round the ears
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I used a buff last year und put the mask underneath it using the buff to hold it in place when required.

You mean without putting the elastic bands round the ears?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The more I'm thinking about it, if it's a sunglasses day, a beanie might work, but if it's windy, snowing i.e. a goggles day, I'm not going back to foggy goggles (raising the goggles on a beanie is going to fog them)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll just take my helmet off & put my mask on. Its a magnetic clasp, so quite easy to undo with one hand & gloves on.

I think the chin strap on my helmet would make it difficult to do anything else as the mask would not be fitted properly, so would not have much use.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sugardaddy, on my first trip last year I found the constant pulling up and down really chaffed the back of my ears over the course of a day and they were really sore by the end of the week. That was in Verbier early season where there was quite a lot of lapping of short lifts/runs. I did a second week later in the season in Zermatt and it was not so bad as much longer lifts and runs. However I found right at the end of that trip that you can buy little attachments for your helmet so that the mask attaches to your helmet rather than your ears so I’ll do that this season. My helmet has ear covers so I need to leave the mask attached to either me or the helmet as otherwise I’d have to take the helmet on and off at every lift.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are they requiring masks or will a buff suffice?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sugardaddy, I skied last winter - i dont recall anyone googling how to put a mask on but maybe… practice at home.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masks only and quite possibly FFP2
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cacciatore wrote:

I suspect they may alter this as we get into the season and case numbers etc continue to drop off.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sugardaddy, you’ve just reminded me about last season’s google fogging issues. You have to lift your googles up at each lift too to stop that, which is annoying when it’s snowing. I don’t mind masks on cable cars/gondolas but I thought they were a pointless PIA on chairlifts. This summer there’s been no mask requirement on chairlifts in Switzerland so I’m crossing my fingers they don’t re-introduce that for winter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GreenDay wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:

I suspect they may alter this as we get into the season and case numbers etc continue to drop off.

Much will depend on the percentage of intensive care beds taken up with Covid cases, naturally. There is a formula in place that will determine the level of restriction. Personally, I’d be very surprised to see a reduction in the FFP2 mask requirement this Winter season on lifts in Austria.
ski holidays
@Gämsbock, Austria is saying FFP2 at the moment, I think. CH may be different.
Do the helmet attachment thingies go inside or outside the helmet?
snow report
@sugardaddy, they go on the outside. I very much doubt CH will go FFP2, thus far any kind of fabric or surgical mask has been fine.
snow conditions
Thinking about it, you just need a mask with a headband, or maybe some sort of clip on the goggles strap to attach ear loops to?

ahh, just found this on a 3d print
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/gadget/hook-for-face-mask-on-ski-helmets

If I get time later, I shall print some out & test.

a few more
https://3dmixers.com/m/110558-ski-helmet-covid-19-ffp2-mask-holder
https://grabcad.com/library/mask-holder-ski-helmet-ffp2-1

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 28-09-21 8:12; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Lift goggles, trap nosepiece of mask (this is for FFP2) under goggles, pull buff up over the top and tuck elastics inside. After a few goes, you won't need to take your gloves off. It will be a horrid soggy mess by the third lift anyway.

Can't see FFP2 on ski lifts going away in Austria this season, unfortunately. Last season they were also required on chairlifts with covers, even if the covers were down (in some resorts they were fixed open with cable ties), but not always enforced if you looked like a family group.
latest report
So, I don't like pulling the mask on my chin, faffing with taking a mask out of the pocket, taking off helmet etc is not ideal for chairs and thinking about the attachments @Gämsbock, mentioned, I'm thinking some type of lanyard or extension might be the solution
https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/best-face-mask-extenders
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
Lift goggles, trap nosepiece of mask (this is for FFP2) under goggles, pull buff up over the top and tuck elastics inside. After a few goes, you won't need to take your gloves off. It will be a horrid soggy mess by the third lift anyway.

Can't see FFP2 on ski lifts going away in Austria this season, unfortunately. Last season they were also required on chairlifts with covers, even if the covers were down (in some resorts they were fixed open with cable ties), but not always enforced if you looked like a family group.

If the mask is not fitted correctly on your cheeks, then when you exhale, wont that just come out of the side towards the people sitting next to you?
snow report
@Mr.Egg, that looks like a good idea. I'll have to see if my son can make those at his high school printer
snow report
@Mr.Egg, It's a soggy, dirty mask that's been in and out of a pocket several times, it's not doing anything useful. Also, with the number of hoops you have to jump through to get on a ski lift, the chance of infection is very low, the windows will be open so you can get hypothermia instead.
snow report
I'm not too worried about catching or spreading the virus on a chairlift, so less bothered about fit, more about comfort. Masks in gondola are another matter.
I saw some extenders on Amazon that go over the back of your neck. Might be very good for skiing
ski holidays
sugardaddy wrote:
I'm not too worried about catching or spreading the virus on a chairlift, so less bothered about fit, more about comfort. Masks in gondola are another matter.

Generally, from what I observed last season, I’d say masks will possibly be required for queuing for chairlifts. The 4-seat+ chairlifts were operating only with 50% occupancy and it was quite normal to see most folk removing masks once the chair had departed from the lift station.
snow report
Given we don't need masks in bars now (well, in Chamonix anyway), I don't see masks needed in chairs. Maybe bubbles/cables, maybe not even there either.
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, yep, mask off after departure, back on at the mid station, off again when it's gone past the lifties, back on for the exit (sometimes). How else are you supposed to eat your snack? Laughing
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@Cacciatore, yep, mask off after departure, back on at the mid station, off again when it's gone past the lifties, back on for the exit (sometimes). How else are you supposed to eat your snack? Laughing

Laughing Laughing

Or indeed whip out the hip flask for a quick Zirben Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.velcro.com/products/ties-and-straps/velcro-brand-face-mask-extender-straps-4pk/
I guess you can place it on the back of your neck (not over the ears) and then pull the mask up over your nose quite easily. The mask is going to stay in place for a few minutes
latest report
@Scarlet, if you have a buff on, how likely was it to be asked to show that you have a mask underneath?
snow report
sugardaddy wrote:
@Scarlet, if you have a buff on, how likely was it to be asked to show that you have a mask underneath?

From my experience last Winter, I did see some lifties stopping buff-wearing skiers in queues (especially for gondolas). By no means all, though.
ski holidays
In CH we had this requirement all last season. Manufacturers came up with a mask/buff combo - in effect a buff with an insert pocket for a mask. They worked ok for the most part. Unlikely to work if Austria insists on FFP2 though, I guess.
ski holidays
sugardaddy wrote:
if you have a buff on, how likely was it to be asked to show that you have a mask underneath?

There was one very long queue where there were stringent checks going on and I saw someone told to swap a normal mask for FFP2. Never saw it anywhere else though, and lot of people wearing buffs. They may have had a FFP2 mask underneath though.

Generally, the lifties don't want to be mask police, but if people start complaining that a ski area is “not safe” and post sensationalist photos on social media, it damages their reputation. Also, the actual police will be round, bothering their guests, so they don't really want that either. If you make a token effort to comply, everybody's happy. Very Happy
latest report
Buff do a 'Covid' buff

https://www.climbers-shop.com/clothing/face-masks/buff-filter-tube--cashmere-black__11108263?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=80002463%20XS/S
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
In CH we had this requirement all last season. Manufacturers came up with a mask/buff combo - in effect a buff with an insert pocket for a mask. They worked ok for the most part. Unlikely to work if Austria insists on FFP2 though, I guess.

Is that a Bask or a Muff?

Very Happy
ski holidays
FFP2 on an open lift seems overkill. Closed gondola I can understand. Was this the case in other countries last year, or only Austria?
ski holidays
If you sew 2 toggles or buttons onto the side V shaped webbing straps on yr helmet (1 each side), then it’s possible to hook the mask straps round these instead of round your ears. Prevents sore ears and allows you to wear a buff inside the mask. Worked reasonably well at Hemel.
snow conditions
GreenDay wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

Is that a Bask or a Muff?

Very Happy

I think it's a BuMa, no?
ski holidays
printed off a pair of
https://3dmixers.com/m/110558-ski-helmet-covid-19-ffp2-mask-holder
this evening & they seem to work very well.
latest report
@Mr.Egg, You should market them. I'd be up for a few pairs!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy