Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva to sieser alm question

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at the piste maps it looks possible to go from piz sella down to monte pana then pick up the bus to sieser alm. The dolomiti superski app says this is impossible. I know that some pistes on the app aren’t there and others are. The family would be up for the trip but don’t take kindly if I got them so far and there was a non existent slope. I’ve been there before and the grief comes in from all sides with varying degrees of humour and annoyance.
So it would be good to know first hand if this is indeed possible
Thabks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It’s a great ski there if there isn’t a bus. Ski down Sasslong, travelator across the car park into funicular station, walk across platform to Col Raiser gondola, bit of poling and a red through trees, couple of chairs, then La Longa to Ortisei. That’s as far as I got but apparently there’s a funicular under the gondola that takes you across Ortisei and near the gondola up to Alpe di Suisi.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, looks like bus 12 still runs from Monte Pana to Saltria...

https://www.silbernagl.it/fileadmin/user_upload/Silbernagl/pdf/Winter_22-23/aush_12_w22_web.pdf

€4.50 single €8 return

You could do the 'Val Gardena Ronda' circuit which includes a tour of Alpi di Siusi

https://www.val-gardena.com/en/tours/detail/ski-circuit-val-gardena-ronda/

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 8-01-23 23:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here's the map of the route:

https://www.valgardena.it/dl/stchristina/pdf/val-gardena-ski-ronda.pdf

The map shows the route going anti clockwise, up to Seceda, down La Longia to Ortisei, up to Alpi di Siusi, the bus to Monte Pana.

But I think you can work your way round clockwise too using the piste that goes down from Mont Seuc down to Ortisei.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 8-01-23 23:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@HugoC, Al the times I have taken that route, there has been a bus - its a bumpy ride! Toofy Grin

https://www.opensnowmap.org/#map=15/11.726/46.538&b=snowmap&m=false&h=false

its a nice ride on ski under Sassolungo

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 8-01-23 23:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@HugoC,if you take the Piz Sella cable car from Plan de Gralba when you get out from the cable car you walk out onto an open air restaurant terrace. From the terrace there are two possible ways of skiing down, only one of which will take you to Monte Pana. Off to the right hand side of the terrace between a gap in the buildings there's the entrance to quite a tricky short black run, you don't want to take that one. Off to the left hand side of the terrace there's a wider slope, if you ski down a few hundred yards keeping to the right hand side there's a sign off to the right pointing to Monte Pana. It's a nice run down to Monte Pana and from there you catch the bus to Seiser Alm. For more info about the bus trip (which I call the Magical Mystery Bus Madeye-Smiley ) see this thread: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156121#4814606

The bus drops you off at Saltria on the Seiser Alm. Note that when you've skied all the way across the Seiser Alm from there you no longer have to download to Ortisei on the gondola, there's the option of using the new red run piste down to Ortisei that was opened last season, well worth doing, see this post: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4925467&highlight=piste+seiser+alm+ortisei#4925467
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Alastair Pink, is correct. That black run is rather short but can be butt-puckering by midday as it gets scraped off. Just take the second option he describes. It's run 52 on the map. Keep going past the lift to your left after about a km or so...iirc there are some parts of that run are flattish so not ideal for snowboarders?

I also recommend taking the "new" red run down from the Alpe to Ortisei. Great views, not too narrow, can get a little icy by days end but manageable for most skiers.

One thing to consider is how you will get back from Ortisei to whereever you need to be (if you've done the Alpe before, ignore this...). There's no easy way back, but there are choices. If you take the bus back from Saltria you can go up and down from Monte Pana, but be aware that the wait can be longish and bus packed. From the base of the Ortisei cable car you can bus back up the valley or take a ski taxi (not a bad deal for 4 people). Finally, you could also bootpack across Ortisei proper to the cable car to Seceda but it's a longish walk...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HugoC,
I would recommend skiing the Val Gardena Ronda anti-clockwise:
Down fabulous Saslong (red or World Cup black) to Santa Cristina.
Up underground funicular and gondola to Col Raiser and chair to Seceda.
Down fabulous 11km-long La Longia to Ortisei.
Walk across Ortisei (escalators and travelator only take you part of the way unfortunately!)
Up gondola to Mount Seuc.
Ski over to Seiser Alm via 61 Steger Dellai 2-seater chair.
If you’ve time, lunch at Gostner Schwaïge &/or visit Laurin terrain park (even to watch others on huge ramps) &/or timed GS run on Spitzbuhl.
Up 62 Panorama and 74 Paradiso chairs.
Fast cruise down to Saltria bus stop.
If there’s time, up 65 Florian and back down.
Bus (fitted with snow chains) from Saltria to Monte Pana through forest - magical! (See Luigi’s post above about fares and timetables. Get to the bus stop at least 10 mins before the bus is due. Don’t expect anyone to respect an orderly queue. Pair up and one of you load skis while the other gets on the bus. Just don’t miss the last bus!)
Up 23 Mont Seura chair, down a short way and up 21 Tramans chair.
Down to Selva, either via Plan de Gralba or 22 Piza Pranseies chair and down red or black Ciampioni.
It’s an amazing day out! You’ll have earned a cold one when you get back!!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 11-01-23 16:24; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^what's cool about that is you get to see just how amazing the ski infrastructure is in the valley. Underground trains, moving sidewalks, buses. Although no heated chairs, I think?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pasigal, there are various heated 8-seater chairs in Selva (above Plan de Gralba), but I think none on the Val Gardena Ronda circuit, though it’s been 3 years since I did it last.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here's a Google Maps link to the 11-minute walking route from the bottom of the Seceda gondola to the Ortisei-Seiser Alm gondola via the travelators in the Curta pedestrian tunnel at Ortisei:
https://goo.gl/maps/VKtPsWkPmRqCoW6D9

And here are the travelators in the tunnel:

And here's Seceda:
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks everyone. we'll be coming up the to Col rondella from Val di fassa as rather than from the sella ronda resorts. I've never done this bit as my wife loathes selva in the morning, and i get "why are we here in these queues when i could be on prolongia.. " We're staying in Moena with the plan to ski the smaller val di fassa/val di femme and probably civetta too. I know some people have done reports before. i plan to do one, but probably not as detailed from the perspective of a family of 4 with two teens, no one wants to go on anything more than a "medium red" (other reasons to dislike selva) or anything too crowded and we all need a lovely lunch (not a cafe but not lux) I hope that would be something people would find interesting. I have been told I'm not allowed to discuss my route plans for the family for at least another two weeks...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the subject of seiser alm, I’m coming to selva soon for the first time and was told Sunday would be my busiest day so find somewhere quiet to ski, would this area be good for a whole day of gentle cruising? Was thinking of catching bus directly to ortisei to make a day of it, good idea or not?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
this looks pretty straightforward and we've done most of the constituent parts (except the bus) but has anyone here actually done this route in a single day ? I'm wondering if it's an chilled day or not.

Also, if so what direction, we were planning a day in Seiser Alm so I was thinking about doing this clockwise from Ortisei so you end up in Seiser Alm and know how much time you've got but then you miss the lovely long red from the top of Seceda Puzzled
cheers
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HugoC wrote:
we'll be coming up the Col Rondella from Val di Fassa … a family of 4 with two teens, no one wants to go on anything more than a "medium red" (other reasons to dislike selva) or anything too crowded and we all need a lovely lunch

I’m not sure it’s doable in a day from Val di Fassa. Maybe if you’re on the first lift and it’s not peak season, but I wouldn’t swear to it. It would need to be a quick lunch and no side detours, but even then I’m still unsure.
latest report
richb67 wrote:
has anyone here actually done this route in a single day ? I'm wondering if it's an chilled day or not.

Yes, I’ve done it 3 or 4 times from Selva, Santa Cristina, and Alpe di Siusi. It’s very doable in a day from any of those starting points (or from Ortisei). I wouldn’t say it’s chilled.

If going anti-clockwise, ski a direct route till you’re in the main area of Seiser Alm (past 61 Steger Dellai chair). At that point you can decide how much time you have to ski that area before heading to the bus at Saltria.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 11-01-23 19:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Scrunch77 wrote:
richb67 wrote:
has anyone here actually done this route in a single day ? I'm wondering if it's an chilled day or not.

Yes, I’ve done it 3 or 4 times from Selva, Santa Cristina, and Alpe di Siusi. It’s very doable in a day from any of those starting points (or from Ortisei). I wouldn’t say it’s chilled.

If going anti-clockwise, ski a direct route till you’re in the main area of Seiser Alm. At that point you can decide how much time you have to ski that area before heading to the bus at Saltria.

thanks,
snow report
rizzotherock wrote:
On the subject of seiser alm, I’m coming to selva soon for the first time and was told Sunday would be my busiest day so find somewhere quiet to ski, would this area be good for a whole day of gentle cruising? Was thinking of catching bus directly to ortisei to make a day of it, good idea or not?

Seiser Alm is noticeably quieter than Selva and offers lots of gentle cruising, especially from:
65 Florian
71 Goldknopf
74 Paradiso
73 Laurin
64 Spitzbuhl
63 Puflatsch
snow conditions
@Scrunch77, appreciate the reply, will pencil that it in for my first days skiing then
snow conditions
@rizzotherock, suisi was a lot of fun and at least last week was much quieter than selva. Punta d oro the best run , spitzbul was icy . Highly recommended a day there
latest report
@Harrow lady, thanks for that, I’m gonna bus it from selva to ortisei on the Sunday and explore this area I’ve decided, hopefully enough there to keep me amused for the day
snow conditions
Regarding the Saslong lifts (and slope), here's the review I wrote for Google maps (visit https://goo.gl/maps/wW7c5DVscyCeP3VDA to read all the reviews):
Stay away from the Saslong gondola that departs from St. Christina, take the ski bus to Selva (Wolkenstein) instead. The owner of the Saslong lifts has gone crazy and forces skiers to take a long and dangerous detour. The direct link (left turn) between the Saslong gondola and the Sochers/Ciampinoi ( Nr. 18 ) chair lift to Chiampinoi has been barred. Now you have to turn right, walk or push some 200 meters, cross the Saslong slope and take the Sochers ( Nr. 19 ) chair lift, crossing the Saslong slope again to reach lift nr. 18. A dangerous and very unnecessary detour, aimed to make more money with lift nr. 19.
Here's the page with information on ski busses in Val Gardena: https://www.valgardena.it/en/bus-schedule/#c4947

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 17-01-23 20:41; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@Manja, thanks for that useful information (seems crazy that they apparently now stop you from using the chairlift no.18 when you get out at the top coming up from St.Christina), and welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

P.S just one point, the lift from St. Christina isn't a cable car, it's a gondola. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Manja, Thanks for the info

For those interested - you can see some of the new fencing on webcams - https://valgardena.panomax.com/ciampinoi

and the new route - https://www.tageszeitung.it/2023/01/01/der-zaun-des-anstosses/
snow report
I did wonder what all that fencing was about,
they also have two big guys patrolling the area. Now I understand… I suppose they check no one jump the fence, we were really puzzled on what they were doing.

I didn’t know that the lift system is owned by different people, I wonder how they split the income
ski holidays
@Manja, I had to take this ridiculous detour when there in December which makes you walk/push over the piste before then crossing the busy Saslong slope to take the lift 19 to then ski back down to lift 18 which is only 20 metres from where you originally got out the Santa Christina Gondola.
Mad & causing the possibility of missing lifts to return to Selva or further afield at the end of the day.
Hope they see sense & stop this.
snow report
@Harrow lady, that is bonkers!
snow report
Harrow lady wrote:
I did wonder what all that fencing was about,
they also have two big guys patrolling the area. Now I understand… I suppose they check no one jump the fence, we were really puzzled on what they were doing.

I didn’t know that the lift system is owned by different people, I wonder how they split the income

I think each lift is assigned a points value based on its cost, ulility and age. Then a count is made of how many skiers pass through the gates. Then the liftpass income is divvied up accordingly. Must be super complicated and loads of arguments! Confused

In the Dolomites, many lifts are privately owned or owned by different consortia, so they have an interest in directing skier traffic their way.

On the run down from Passo Sella to Plan de Gralba, they always try to get you up the Sole chair with big signs and arrows, but you can skip it and carry on down the blue.

This latest ruse at the Saslong sounds pretty outrageous. I guess that lift 19 wasn't earning enough cash for its owner! rolling eyes

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 17-01-23 20:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Manja P.S just one point, the lift from St. Christina isn't a cable car, it's a gondola. Madeye-Smiley

I'm sorry for that. English isn't my first language, so even though I try to avoid them I will make mistakes now and then. I'll correct this one.
snow conditions
Thanks Luigi, makes sense .

Just hope they see reason and remove the fence, it is a challenging run for a beginner especially early morning when the snow is hard.
snow report
@Manja, Geen probleem! snowHead
snow report
Can I resurrect the discussion about this to ask whether you are allowed to go back up lift 18 if you ski down to it from, but don’t proceed further down to S Christina?

Also, if you do go down to S Christina, how easy is it to get across to lift 15 instead of taking the Saslong Gondola back up? Is that any less painful? I can see it would involve 2 or 3 chairs to the same area-ish…
snow report
@swoafs, "..ask whether you are allowed to go back up lift 18 if you ski down to it from, but don’t proceed further down to S Christina?" - Yes, just make sure you keep right and ski direct to the bottom of 18.

Getting to 15? not done it, sorry
latest report
It’s a pita faff now. Skiing down to st Christina you have to remove your skis at the top of the gondola (coming back up from st Christina) go through, what can only be described as a curtain, pass left across the unloading exit of the gondola, then pole uphill to get back on track.
Coming back uphill is even more bizarre as you realise that the curtain is one way, with a guard in place. You can see the chair back up to Ciampinoi through the curtain as you get off the gondola but you have to pole to the chair on the right, ride it and ski back down to 20m from where you got off the gondola.
Not the nicest surprise when you are trying to get home to Arabba after doing La Longia.

Re: getting to Seiser Alm: ski down La Longia, directly behind and below gondola at the bottom is a tunnel with a travelator. Turn left at the end there is an escalator. Then short walk through Ortisei
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy