Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice me the correct size please

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, hope you are doing well, I am just choosing a snowboard for the beginner and came across Men's Burton Ripcord Flat Top Snowboard, now I am choosing the correct size and if you mind helping me out here it would be amazing. I have four options "159; 156W; 158W; 162W", I don't know what that "W" means in the end but if someone cares to explain it will be more than amazing. So my weight is 90 kg currently might go up to 93 by winter. Height is 185 CM, foot size is EURO 43. Kindly advice me the correct size if you can, thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
W means wide. You probably don’t want a wide board with feet that small

Go off the manufacturers specs on rider weight to find the right length
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
159 would be ok for a beginner. Your height & weight is borderline for that size, but you would find it easier to control the board as a beginner.
162 would be perfect for your height & weight, but the W board may be a to wide for a euro 43 & may be more difficult to control - ideally you want to be a euro 44 / UK size 10!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
any of 159, 156w 158w, would be hard to tell the difference between all of them. WaistWidth is 256 258 259mm , sidecut radius 7,9 7,8 7,8, all rated for same riders weight.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Entry boards can be very limited .

Soft flex ,soft torsional flex, super easy to use on flat low angle at very low speeds making your first turns..... thats the design you get for £300 odd new.....thats it thats all, they are full on gumby designs .

If your six foot with leverage at 90 odd kg plus gear your not a ballerina.
If your reasonably fit for sport etc no old injuries or disabilitys etc and have some youth?

I would weigh up the odds or at least consider you may only need a "entry design noodle" for the initial 7 days max .

Boards are easy to pick, bindings are not hard to pick but its the boots that are the item that throws 80% so are the item that you could expect to buy twice .

I would at least consider a Burton all mountain design on your short list vs the entry stick at your weight and height if your reasonably fit and/or have some of your youth .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've not looked at the named board so can't be sure about that specifically, but you'll be wanting
something better very quickly unless you're un-athletic. Sizing's less critical for absolute-beginner boards which
will be soft and forgiving. You're not going to be carving them hard, so you don't need to match the flex to your weight/ ability.

Most people rent for these reasons. Plus it avoids the "all the gear and no idea" gybe, along with the embarrassment
of being the one stuck with a beginner board on day 2.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No a big fan of renting, variable quality and besides I'm a great believer in getting 'familiar' with your equipment as you progress, which IMO is a big part of the process

Find a decent middling used board ...... plenty about with almost no snow time as it's easy to quickly lose the 'enthusiasm' for 'boarding ...... up to five or six years old, the right length and not too stiff, or soft for that matter, so you can at least have 6-8 weeks on it before you stop being the limitation

If you can't ride it prior, look online at similar experience level choices, there's simply no magic answer ...... but I'd avoid specific recommendations as gospel ....... it's more of a personal thing, however as already said, avoid a 'beginner' board, buy more of an intermediate one and grow into it

Bindings the same, but boots I'd get new, and always try them on prior unless you 'know' the make/model, and again don't go too soft or tight

If it's not what you thought after a few days, stick at it ..... it'll be worth it
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi guys,

I'm a former snowboarder - boarded from age 30 to 43, then switched to skiing. Because I'm going to be out in the Alps for quite a few weeks this season, I thought I'd give snowboarding a go again on a powder day.

I was thinking of buying a K2 Alchemist, but I'm not sure whether to go for 160 or 163 length. I'm 181cm tall and weight around 85kg. My last board that I used for about 4 years was a Burton Custom X 163, which was fine, but I'm thinking that perhaps there's an advantage in having something a touch shorter (swift turns in a steep couloir?).

Thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
(btw, I'm now 50, so it's about 7 years since I've been on a board).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Contrarian,
Don’t do it, Luke! The power of the Dark side is strong but you must resist or the Empire will rule forever Toofy Grin

PS I know nothing about boards, sorry Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Red Leon, Seeketh not to divert this wayward son from the path back to true righteousness and the glory of the One True Edge!

@Contrarian, The Alchemist is a lovely bit of kit - rode one at the Oktobertest in Hemel a couple of weeks back. You're about my height and about my weight and the 160 is fine - IMO it rides a lot like my Jones Flagship, but with a bit more playful feel.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Richard_Sideways, thanks very much for that. I'm reassured that I'll probably have more fun with the 160.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

rode one at the Oktobertest in Hemel a couple of weeks back

They have snowboards at this? I missed that part, would have taken more notice, although I only found the forum shortly beforehand.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BCjohnny, I only just read your post from September, really good advice.
snow conditions
@silentice, The guys from Blackpeak Trading have come along with the new K2 and Ride gear for the past few years.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy