Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Westendorf

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
First time skiing in Austria (not first time skiing) - anything we need to know.
I’m a cautious blue run skier and not good with ledges and edges.. any suggestions for good runs close by Westendorf for me.
We’ve gone for the big pass so any must-do runs or sights in the area?
Other half is a fully competent, confident skier so suggestions for him too.

It’s a BIG area so suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did an over long trip report a few years ago which you might find useful. Smile https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3215022&highlight=#3215022

Can't remember any real edges and ledges on the blues in Westendorf; the many of the reds are also relatively benign. Enjoy!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Westendorf sounds like the best resort in the area for you.
Go across the road to Brixen im Thale to see the iglu bar, there is some nice easy skiing on that side as well.
Avoid the Soll direction if you are going at a busy time.
Unless it's cold the lower slopes can get a bit slushy so it's best to stay higher up.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skiseekers, the blue runs directly above the village can only be accessed by starting higher up which are shown as red runs on the map, though they are not really difficult (do not even think about doing the black from Choralpe, it is short but steep, there are warning signs "nur für Geübter" - only for experts!) and should be no issue in decent snow conditions. The runs over to Ki West (for the link into the Kitzbühel ski area) are a mixture of reds and blues though there is very little difference between them except for a short pitch on the long pleasant run just above Ki West, for which there is a path alternative. Lots more skiing in Kitzbühel much of it easy, not sure which ski pass you have, some cover Kitzbühel. The long red from Choralpe down to Brixen is one of the best in the area, north facing so usually good snow, there is a "black" section in the middle but there is a path alternative. From Brixen you can access the main part of SkiWelt which has lots of easy skiing. On the return, give the red run back to Brixen a miss and get the gondola, this run is always (even after half a metre of fresh snow) a mess, icy, cut up etc with various folk floundering around with others trying to ski around them.

You might want to try some of the various Austrian specialities like Jägertee, Heißschokolade mit Rum, Krapfen & Kaiserschmarn. The ones with alcohol in are probably best left for a small hut just above the village on the last run of the day Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skiseekers, you'll be fine in Westerndorf, in fact on the back of a few SH recommendations especially @munich_irish, we went o Brixen in 2019.
and are now going to Westerndorf this coming January (fingers crossed all will be fine, of course). Last time we stayed in Brixen and had a great time exploring much of the SkiWelt area. We visited Westerndorf whilst in Brixen, so can highly recommend it. My OH was also a cautious blue skier back when we visited, but after this visit to Brixen is now a much more confident skier, had lessons from an instructor from Westerndorf which is recommended.
My OH really enjoyed the Blue 1C from the top of the skiwelt back to Brixen, a nice long/wide blue, albeit you have to catch a bus back to the gondola as its the other side of Brixen, the bus service was really good and efficient.
The long Blue 111 that sweeps around from Talkaser at the top down to Westerndorf is a fantastic run for nervous skiers, you can make a decision half way down to get the lift back up and do again, or go all the way down to Westerndorf.

As we did most of the SkiWelt, plan is now to explore Ki-West and pop over to Kitzbuhel. IMO though, you will enjoy Westerndorf and will not have any issues with any of the reds, let alone the blues.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@skiseekers, @Simon94, When will you be there? We'll be in Westendorf for a week from 8th January.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tom Doc, arriving last weekend of January, 1st week into February.. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Tom Doc, going for Christmas
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Simon94, @skiseekers, Oh well, all different. Have a good trip!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was in Westendorf in early March 2020. Really liked it and it is much quieter than the rest of the SkiWelt. Some nice blues - although my fave run is the long Red KiWest.
Blue 111 is as mentioned a great run for anyone nervous.

Only reason not going back to Westy is the flight in Salzburg were too expensive for me this time. But I will be definitely going back.

We rented skis from Hausberger and used their ski deposit which is close to the Schneeberg lift at the skischool meeting point in the village.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="munich_irish"]@skiseekers, the blue runs directly above the village can only be accessed by starting higher up which are shown as red runs on the map

Thanks for your advice..I’m a bit concerned that there won’t be any nice easy blues to start off on. Are we best to head to another part of the area to get some blues that are more easily accessible?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="munich_irish"]@skiseekers, the blue runs directly above the village can only be accessed by starting higher up which are shown as red runs on the map

Thanks for your advice..I’m a bit concerned that there won’t be any nice easy blues to start off on. Are we best to head to another part of the area to get some blues that are more easily accessible?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blue run 111 starts directly from the top of the main gondy out of Westendorf (it's flat as a pancake along the top, linking the other runs) So you'll be able to immediately access that, the shorter blues over the back, and down the bottom the other lift to access blues from the middle station.

They are all nice and relatively gentle, 111 is a lovely run. And as mentioned the reds are also mostly quite easy - and the short ones up top are great to practise on.

Edited to add - there's a learner slope and chair straight out of Westendorf for getting legs back/warming up in the morning. Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's quite common for instructors to take new beginners to mid-station and then back down to either the silver or red gondola as these runs are generally very quiet. The other common beginner loop is the drag near the Talkaser at the top and then down to the 4 man chair back up to the Talkaser. A couple of laps of that and most people are happy to try the red straight down to the 4 man lift. It's a little bit intimidating at the top but so wide and almost bowl like - nothing to go off the edge of. Skiroute Schrandl is also super easy but can require a taxi (worth doing with lunch - can't remember the deal) so break off it early and get back on the main piste.

To get to the rest of the area just take bus to Brixen as the long red from the top can be a challenge (steep compared to other reds and can stay quite hard as it's in the shade). Other bits people don't like are the short red tracks that get you on to the main red hence why the mid-station option is good. As you don't like edges the red from the top of the Fleiding is probably easier as the blue has an edge on both sides. I'm not really sure how it's a red.

As for food, Talkaser apple strudel is decent, 11er alm on the long blue for a gluhwein and Wastlhof (bottom corner of beginner area) for lunch are my favourites on the mountain. You also need to experience apres at Gerrys for the drunk Dutch experience.

I'm staying in Brixen the week up to Christmas so I'll definitely have a day in Westendorf and head over to Kitzbuhel this time. Message me if you want to meet up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy