Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

easyJet abandons “ludicrous” policy for carry on luggage

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
how many times have you been unfortunate enough to have your bag lost?
For me, twice. Plus another three occasions for people who have been in the group I have been travelling with.

I carry my boots in hand luggage as I have odd shaped feet and having to ski in rentals is a game-changer. I carry my laptop in my hand luggage as it’s relatively fragile. Having either of these items going missing for even a few days when I’m teaching in the Alps would cause very significant disruption. Fortunately the risk of this can be very easily avoided by carry on luggage.

The check in staff must really dislike you Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin *

* watch them lose my bag now....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr.Egg wrote:
The check in staff must really dislike you Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin *...
No, it’s the opposite of that, they like me so much they’ll do anything to keep in touch with me after the flight.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've had lost or delayed baggage on quite a few occasions but it's always been on journeys with flight changes, never point to point.
Must admit I always but boots in the hold.
Mrs T Bar bought ( much needed)new boots after hers were delayed on a flight change.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@T Bar, some years ago we were returning from Edinburgh to Geneva, direct, and checked our bags in, containing an ample supply of Scottish sausages and black puddings ...

It took them 4 days to get them to us.

Didn't need to open the bags to know what was in them ... Going green Going green
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I love the weigh your own case policy at Stansted. Can’t remember which airline it is but you just remove some luggage, weigh your case, then put it back in.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr.Egg wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@Mr.Egg, I always check in bags on the way back. However, on the way out I check my skis in but take my boots on board in a bag with sallopettes, and one base layer plus a couple of days t-shirts/pants/socks.

If they lose bags, I can rent skis and have enough clothes to see me through until they deliver the lost bag.

Never flying via T5 at LHR but 3/4 of the last ski trips returning from VCE. The last time I didn't even wait until the bags came out, I just went and asked Menzies if I was on the list. Normal business travel Ive had bags delayed a few times but mostly on a short connection at LHR.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I always offer to do BA a favour by checking our hand luggage into the hold when travelling with the family and they are always very happy to do so for no charge. I am happy as we don't have to lug 5 small cases around the airport, we avoid the hassle of trying to find overhead locker space as this is often taken by people sitting elsewhere and as we are waiting for hold luggage any way it makes no difference at the other end. Laptops and iPads come on board still in small individual bags. My only gripe with BA is their winter sports baggage policy - they need to follow Lufthansa and Swiss and include it as part of total weight allowance split across two bags. Although I recognise that I could choose not use Sportubes to transport skis and get a big snowboard/ ski bag and combine the two.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
For me, twice. Plus another three occasions for people who have been in the group I have been travelling with.

I have seen it happen on several trips. However on every occasion the only label on the outside of the luggage was the one the airline add at check in and when they eventually got the luggage back it was minus said label. I have often had luggage with missing labels or tags at baggage collection.

Which is why I have a separate labels for out bound and in bound flights that are laminated and then tied with strong cord to the luggage. The label has my name, flight number with date and destination airport along with the either the hotel or home address. The reason for the separate labels is you should never put your home details visible on luggage on your out bound flight for security reasons. On top of that I add in some Sentinel luggage tags on everything and internal to all luggage are more laminated cards with my home address on. I also close up all bags that are checked in with coloured cable ties. They won't stop anyone getting in but I will know that they have because the chance of them having a purple or orange etc. cable tie of the same size are next to zero.

Personally I have never had luggage not arrive. However I also cross pack some stuff into my ski bag along with an old pair of salopettes and wear my ski jacket. My boots are in my suitcase and are the weak link. I could rent them even though I have wide feet.

What always annoys me is I could put a couple of stone in weight on aka 14kg and that's free.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jabuzzard wrote:
I have seen it happen on several trips. However on every occasion the only label on the outside of the luggage was the one the airline add at check in and when they eventually got the luggage back it was minus said label. I have often had luggage with missing labels or tags at baggage collection.

Which is why I have a separate labels for out bound and in bound flights that are laminated and then tied with strong cord to the luggage.
On the two occasions I’ve had lost luggage the airline knew exactly where my bag was, it just wasn’t in the same flight as me. First time I was in Montreal for an onwards flight to Quebec City but my bag was in Munich. The second time I was in Miami but my bag was still at Heathrow. I was impressed that their luggage tracking system operated globally, less impressed at their ability to route that luggage correctly.

I don’t find it a hardship to carry my ski boots and laptop in my hand luggage, so for a very small amount of effort I have piece of mind that the two essential bits of kit on my ski trip don’t run even the small risk of getting lost along the way.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, exactly on boots and essential, fragile electronics. Why else do the heli operators in Canada suggest it's a very good idea to bring boots in hand luggage? For everything else there's Mastercard.

I had the pleasure of routing through Rome during a period where average 40% of transit bags daily. I was not in the 60%. Took them 5 days to get my bag from Casablanca (!) to Palermo. (Well, they had to get it to Casablanca first, obvs Shocked ).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IainMcT wrote:
I love the weigh your own case policy at Stansted. Can’t remember which airline it is but you just remove some luggage, weigh your case, then put it back in.

This is the same attitude that creates the hand baggage problem, i.e. trying to game the system to get more than you have paid for. If everyone just followed the rules the whole process of flying would be so much more pleasant. Imagine how much quicker check-in would be if it was all self-service? For that to work (and to be safe) the total of weighed luggage needs to be fairly accurate so it relies on passengers being honest - if this becomes too inaccurate it will kill self-service. Imagine how much quicker the security process would be if everyone was prepared, did not try and take on more than the allotted allowance of liquids, removed laptops etc. Imagine how much quicker and more pleasant the boarding process would be if people only took what was essential into the cabin.

On a moral note what you seem to proud of is nothing less than blatant dishonesty at best.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zikomo wrote:
IainMcT wrote:

This is the same attitude that creates the hand baggage problem, i.e. trying to game the system to get more than you have paid for. If everyone just followed the rules the whole process of flying would be so much more pleasant. Imagine how much quicker check-in would be if it was all self-service? For that to work (and to be safe) the total of weighed luggage needs to be fairly accurate so it relies on passengers being honest - if this becomes too inaccurate it will kill self-service. Imagine how much quicker the security process would be if everyone was prepared, did not try and take on more than the allotted allowance of liquids, removed laptops etc. Imagine how much quicker and more pleasant the boarding process would be if people only took what was essential into the cabin.

On a moral note what you seem to proud of is nothing less than blatant dishonesty at best.

But they have no idea how much the passengers weigh so that is all a bit moot, they have to effectively guess. If I put on a stone in weight which would be 14lbs so a bit over 6kg that would be fine but an extra 2kg of checked in luggage massive surcharge. Why does some clinically obese person get to take on board more than my entire luggage weight extra for free?

Besides for a ski trip in Europe you are never going to be anywhere near the maximum take off weight for the plane for two reasons. First you are not flying anywhere near the maximum range of the aircraft so the fuel load is massively reduced. Second ski trips take place in winter so you are not going to get into problems with air density at take off (if it's very hot the air is thinner and it reduces maximum take off weight of the plane). I would also argue that the statistically a flight to say Grenoble in February will have fewer than average for the population, overweight persons. The clinically obese tend not to go on skiing holidays.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
for a ski trip in Europe you are never going to be anywhere near the maximum take off weight for the plane

Interesting discussion here from a pilot who flies into Innsbruck - to allow for single engine failure at takeoff, they sometimes have to minimise fuel weight and refuel at Munich en- route due to excess weight of extra ski gear

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2225257&highlight=inn#2225257
Quote:
With a limited permitted weight we cannot generally offload baggage (as there are rarely any later flights that day to repatriate said bags, it's not like Geneva with lots of flights per day!), which leaves us only one option - take less fuel and have to stop on the way home to refuel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jabuzzard, That argument does not stack up, any pilot will tell you that total load is critical to know within a tolerance. There are good averages used for passengers (even based on gender mix) where there will of course always be a tolerance. Being accurate on fuel, cargo and luggage metrics is important to ensure thats the overall load variability is low.

It also does not address the issue that it is plain dishonest to cheat the scales at a self-service check-in. EasyJet, for example, have sold you a product at a price that is predicated on charging for luggage based on weight. If everyone cheats, the base ticket prices will have to increase to compensate. That penalises the poor sod who has little or no luggage to check in. It is this attitude of being dishonest, only caring about oneself, and taking delight (even boasting) about how you got more than you paid for that I find so disagreeable.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jabuzzard wrote:
Besides for a ski trip in Europe you are never going to be anywhere near the maximum take off weight for the plane …

MTOW is as much to do with the take off airport as anything else. Getting a fully loaded B737 off Heathrows' 09L/27R with it's 12800 foot runway is one thing. Getting the same plane off Bristol, Innsbruck or Chambery (all 6600 foot ish) in the wet is a bit more errr... ambitious.
ski holidays
Quote:

It’ll be interesting to see how many people actually pay the (rumoured) £15 extra - in my experience the article is wrong as it suggests £30 for an up-front seat - that may be correct for extra legroom, front-row seats but rows 2-6 seem to be around £15 a go.

The prices of the up-front seats vary by demand like the rest of the extras, I think I paid around 15 each way last time but each leg was different. It will be the same with the new luggage fee, according to money-saving expert the fee is £15 each way on average.

I thought this was actually going to be an excuse to push up the prices of upfront /xl seats. If they don't everyone will book those first rather than pay the fee and in my view it makes them less attractive.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy