Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort choice 5-12 March

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

Very happy to discover this forum and I'm hoping the collective wisdom of it can help me with planning my first-ever weeklong ski trip because frankly, I'm a bit overwhelmed with choices.

We're a group of 6 skiers, most of us beginner level and we're looking for a resort that ticks the following:

- good blue and red slopes to build up our confidence, with a mix of both tree-lined and naked terrain, a minimum of 100km of slopes
- a bit of apres, mainly bars, terraces and good restaurants
- accommodation options that don't break the bank
- somewhere relatively close to an international airport (max 2hr drive)
- resort is high enough so that we don't have to worry about skiing conditions in March

Now I've been doing a bit of reading and research myself over the weekend, but that just made me jump from France to Italy, Austria and back so I really need to narrow my focus to 1 or 2 resorts that fit the requirements and this is where I could maybe use some suggestions. The ones that caught my eye are Le Grand Massif (Morillon and Samoens), Saalbach and Val Gardena, although I'm yet to find well-priced accommodation in those.

Thank you in advance. Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That time of year you wouldn't go wrong with any of the 3 valleys resorts. Lots of options for bars/restaurants etc and even more on skiing for all levels of ability. Not so much tree lined unless you go over to La Tania. They are around 2 hours (plus a bit) from Lyon and Geneva but worth the effort in my opinion.

Loads of options available from Innsbruck as well. Heard very good things about Saalbach and St Anton. So much so that we are booked for a week in St Anton on the dates you have asked about
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can't really get this wrong. It's a great week for skiing - choose anything you like the look of.

As you're in Berlin it might feel more like a holiday if you choose France over Austria for example as the food and language will be different.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah i don't think you need to worry about resort altitude for the first half of March. That's generally when snow depths are at their deepest.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
France could be half term week, so busy busy busy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mr.Egg, half term (or technically winter holiday) finishes on March 7th
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Berlin to Radstadt by train overnight, maximise your ski time and come to the Ski Amade. We're full but try @flangesax at https://austrian-adventures.com/ for great value accommodation. Usually my favourite week of the season here.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE,

I did say could wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you can go later (say 2 weeks).
Then you could trade off the later season, by bringing in accommodation into your price point.
If you are stuck with them dates, then maybe look at other villages near Val Gardena. You should find a well priced Garni.
Either look at Official tourist website, or use google maps to see any businesses that may have registered.
Sunweb can have good accomodation + lift pass options. That late March, but before Easter can be a sweet spot for best bang to buck.
Especially to resorts where early March can be pricey.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
From Berlin, I would look at a resort accessible by train, thus ruling out France. It seems like a waste to fly when you have dozens of good resorts within a day by train or train+bus.
The Dolomites are a bit of a stretch, but reachable. Siusi (Seis) or Ortisei (St Ulrich) would work well as a base for beginners, as they provide access to the very mellow Seiser Alm area.
Saalbach as well, especially if you base yourselves in Leogang (which is likely to be cheaper, and is easier to reach).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Saalbach might be a bit late in the season (eg. Low and much of it south Racing) - Don’t get me wrong, it is a VERY Nice ski area earlier in the season, but can be hit and miss at that time. Obertauern or Ischgl maybe (of Austria) or anywhere in the Tarentaise Valley in France.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Deckter, "The ones that caught my eye are Le Grand Massif (Morillon and Samoens),"

Welcome to the forum.

That choice above I've often been there at the date you prefer as it's a grear time to go. First choice would be Morillon 1100 (les Esserts) if you wish to stay on the snow. Fairly small village with no accommodation more than about 100mtrs from main lift and so very convenient. Some very good restaurants in that area too and slopes with easy access to the rest of GM ski domain. As you want, it's literally all red and blue to move around the whole ski area, ideal for your group ski level. Accommodation cost there is generally good with very friendly atmosphere. Has one of the best green runs in the Alps too with a long enjoyable run all the way from top of it's area to 1100 for some confidence boosting skiing.

Samoens obviously skis the same area, larger village but not on the slopes. Usually a bus ride to gondola and up to snow in one lift, it's not bad but doesn't match Morillon 1100 for walk out onto snow convenience.
Of the two I'd always pick Morillon for that reason.
It's a very good and easy area to explore with good runs over to Flaine (and to samoen + les Carroz ) easily achieved, plenty to keep your group going for a week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I will throw La Plagnes/Les Arcs into the mix.

They are 2.5 hrs from Geneva (1.5 hrs from Chambery). They are high, have Glaciers, open runs and runs through trees.

If interested, check out the Piste Maps to see which village suits what positioning you are looking for - and see if prices suit.

La Plagnes has more motorway skiing, with many different proper villages to visit, if the snow is good enough...but can have more bottlenecks. Les Arcs has more varied skiing, where Arc 1800 is next to to Vallendry/Peisey wooded skiing and link to La Plagne.

Both La Plagne and Les Arcs on their own have enough skiing for a week for Beginners and Intermediates.

If interested, there are enough snowHead familiar with the area to answer more specific questions.

BTW, welcome to the circus!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Deckter, welcome. I agree with most people here, your target dates are great for almost anywhere. If you are unlucky there might be a few slushy runs towards the bottom by the afternoon, but there will be snow down to 1300m and most likely lower.

So the question is where you fancy. As you realise yourself, you don't need the biggest of resorts at this stage - you won't get full value out of 3 valleys or La Plagne/Les Arcs, or for that matter the Sella Ronda (Val Gardena). Save those for when you are confident about doing longer trips, next year. Of your own suggestions Grand Massif seems good (though I don't know Saalbach at all) but there are many other possibilities, maybe look at travel convenience and restaurant reviews to decide.

(And be aware - a lot of people on this forum have their favourites among resorts, they are brilliant for advice about the place they know but it doesn't mean there aren't other equally good alternatives).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As others have already said, those dates mean most resorts would be fine. Gran Massif and Saalbach are good options.

Montgenevre would meet your needs and may be more friendly on the wallet. Also look at La Rosiere, Sestriere, La Clusaz, Les Saises.

Sunweb is a good site to find bargains.
snow conditions
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
Berlin to Radstadt by train overnight, maximise your ski time and come to the Ski Amade. We're full but try @flangesax at https://austrian-adventures.com/ for great value accommodation. Usually my favourite week of the season here.

Austria is already scheduled for a long weekend in February, although i must say booking the night train from Berlin all the way to the ski resort on one ticket proves to be quite challenging. Thanks for recommending the area, i was there a couple of summers ago and it's great, always wanted to return for skiing.
latest report
Thanks, everyone for the warm welcome and suggestions. We're probably going to end up in France as most of us have never been skiing there; we'll leave Italy for another time. I'll let you know once we decide on something, maybe anyone has some local tips. Cheers
snow conditions
Quote:

Saalbach might be a bit late in the season (eg. Low and much of it south Racing) - Don’t get me wrong, it is a VERY Nice ski area earlier in the season, but can be hit and miss at that time

@DanishRider, Saalbach is snow sure until the season ends around the second week of April. It’s not particularly low for Austria, which has a lower snow line than the western Alps. I’ve never known early March to pose any problems whatsoever, and the middle of March can often be one of the best times to visit. Leaving aside Zell am See, to which it’s now linked, the area has 270km of piste, of which I would estimate about half is south-facing. All parts of the area are easily accessible, and it’s easy enough to find good skiing in late season (i.e. late March and early April - when of course cold snaps and fresh snow are certainly not unusual). But I reiterate that even the most fussy skier would be unlikely to complain about conditions in early/mid March - unless they were unlucky with unusually warm, spring-like weather, but that would affect the whole region, if not the whole of the Alps.
latest report
DanishRider wrote:
Saalbach might be a bit late in the season (eg. Low and much of it south Racing) - Don’t get me wrong, it is a VERY Nice ski area earlier in the season, but can be hit and miss at that time. Obertauern or Ischgl maybe (of Austria) or anywhere in the Tarentaise Valley in France.

It's not low by the standards of most Austrian resorts (1000m to 2100m), especially those more to the east (e.g. Kitz 760m to 2000m). It's a huge ski area, and fits the requirements bang on.

I've had two weeks there - very warm February half terms, as warm as most early March days. Yes the lower south facing slopes get soft in the afternoon, but there are plenty of slopes facing other ways, so don't ski those slopes until you need to go home if it's a problem; most slopes are above mid station anyway. The area is huge and the lift system is most likely the best anywhere. And the prices are - like most Austrian resorts to be fair - very reasonable.
latest report
Yes, that's a great week to go to France - first week after the 4 week French holidays. If you are all beginners you will presumably be taking lessons? Are you all adults? Some of the resorts mentioned in the thread are far from ideal for beginners (St Anton being a case in point). If you are driving, the Espace Diamant would be a good bet - will be uncrowded and if you base yourself in Les Saisies, the snow should be about the best around the area. Attractive village, beautiful surroundings (including Mont Blanc) and loads of blue and red runs skiing to choose from.
Accommodation and ski lessons will be at low season rates from 5 March.
latest report
Quote:

That's impressive. Les Arcs' low season doesn't start until April
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Saalbach might be a bit late in the season (eg. Low and much of it south Racing) - Don’t get me wrong, it is a VERY Nice ski area earlier in the season, but can be hit and miss at that time

@DanishRider, Saalbach is snow sure until the season ends around the second week of April. It’s not particularly low for Austria, which has a lower snow line than the western Alps. I’ve never known early March to pose any problems whatsoever, and the middle of March can often be one of the best times to visit. Leaving aside Zell am See, to which it’s now linked, the area has 270km of piste, of which I would estimate about half is south-facing. All parts of the area are easily accessible, and it’s easy enough to find good skiing in late season (i.e. late March and early April - when of course cold snaps and fresh snow are certainly not unusual). But I reiterate that even the most fussy skier would be unlikely to complain about conditions in early/mid March - unless they were unlucky with unusually warm, spring-like weather, but that would affect the whole region, if not the whole of the Alps.

@tatmanstours Saalbach is also a place that we really want to go to, just having trouble finding a website with accommodation options, apart from the usual Airbnb and booking.com. Are there better/local resources for accommodation in Austria? Due to the size of our group we are looking mainly at houses/chalets types.
snow report
@Deckter, If it’s a group of more than say four or five, your best bet is probably the accommodation search engine on Saalbach.com
It it’s a smaller group, I know most of the British people who have apartments to let in Saalbach, and I am always happy to circulate an enquiry for accommodation.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Yes, that's a great week to go to France - first week after the 4 week French holidays. If you are all beginners you will presumably be taking lessons? Are you all adults? Some of the resorts mentioned in the thread are far from ideal for beginners (St Anton being a case in point). If you are driving, the Espace Diamant would be a good bet - will be uncrowded and if you base yourself in Les Saisies, the snow should be about the best around the area. Attractive village, beautiful surroundings (including Mont Blanc) and loads of blue and red runs skiing to choose from.

It looks like we'll go with the Grand Massif area this time around, as the group got slightly bigger and now we have 3 kids in tow. The number of chalets available in the area really tipped the balance for us, even though the apres-ski scene is not the strong point of the area.
snow report
@Deckter, Grand Massif should be an excellent call for beginners, it's very family oriented and gets good snow fall. Where exactly are you thinking of staying as e.g. Samoens itself is a nice enough village but a drive from any lifts. One thing to bear in mind as beginners is you/they may not want to ski all day every day and convenience to/from accommodation, restaurants, bars, coffee, dry gloves, etc. can be pretty important.

And what exactly do you mean by "chalets" - catered? or just houses.
ski holidays
@under a new name, We haven't booked yet but we have two options, one in Flaines and one next to the gondola in Vercland. In this context, I meant self-catered chalets.
snow report
Vercland and Flaine are very different in height and facilities. Vercland is a hamlet at 825 m with a gondola which is new this season and hopefully a vast improvement. The main run back to Vercland from the rest of the Grand Massif is a red with couple of steep sections. Flaine is much higher at 1650m, a village and purpose built with a large variety of lifts/runs. Both give access to the GM. A lot to weigh up....
snow conditions
jgr1 wrote:
Vercland and Flaine are very different in height and facilities. Vercland is a hamlet at 825 m with a gondola which is new this season and hopefully a vast improvement. The main run back to Vercland from the rest of the Grand Massif is a red with couple of steep sections. Flaine is much higher at 1650m, a village and purpose built with a large variety of lifts/runs. Both give access to the GM. A lot to weigh up....

Thanks for highlighting the differences, guess it will come down to a democratic vote amongst the group.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Deckter, I don’t know Verlcand, but have had 7 consecutive trips to Flaine with our son when younger, as a resort centre it’s really well laid out, as all runs lead back to a compact centre, from green through to reds, with plenty of runs in the main bowl, and the rest of the GM a a couple of lifts away, Samoens first then Morrilon and furthest Les Carroz. The accommodation is mainly apartments ranging from small 2 person studios up to 10 plus, there been a few new higher end buildings in recent years, a couple with pools etc. A little bit out of the main resort is Flaine Hammau, it’s mainly chalets, I think it’s a bit remote and not ski in out. There’s a few places to eat out in the centre at night and a couple of Spar mini supermarkets for self catering.
FWIW we used to stay in Le Totem when it was a Crystal place, its in a prime place and it’s been renovated a few years ago, worth looking at.
I’m planning on going back this year on a solo trip as it’s so easy to access from GVA, with good skiing.
snow report
If you have to get kids to ski lessons - and pick them up afterwards and get them some lunch etc - being in Flaine will be hugely more convenient. The timing in the morning can be very tricky, even when everything is super-convenient. There's a lot to do and an amazing amount to carry! And always someone who needs a wee at the last minute.
snow report
@Deckter, Vercland really is a hamlet. There was a bar/resto at the bottom of the lift, but I had heard rumours that the new lift would require its demolition. Other than that, there isn't even a bakery.

And as @jgr1, says, the home run is not really for beginners and is anyway very snow sensitive, at that altitude even early March you couldn't guarantee it being open.

So not at all convenient, for anything.

Aall in all, I'd go Flaine all else being equal.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Deckter, Vercland really is a hamlet. There was a bar/resto at the bottom of the lift, but I had heard rumours that the new lift would require its demolition. Other than that, there isn't even a bakery.

And as @jgr1, says, the home run is not really for beginners and is anyway very snow sensitive, at that altitude even early March you couldn't guarantee it being open.

So not at all convenient, for anything.

Aall in all, I'd go Flaine all else being equal.

Thank you, i have made it very clear to our group what are the differences between the locations, the thing is, it's very hard to find a chalet of that size (8 adults, 3 kids) up in Flaine, Carroz for our price point. The only thing that i have seen are chalets in Flaine Hammau (still a bit secluded), for Les Carroz we would have to increase our price point or stay in separate apartments.

On another note, can anyone tell me if there are ski lockers in Samoëns 1600?
snow report
@Deckter, I think there are ski lockers.

The difficulty on price is, you pay for what you get.

Vercland is not hugely sought after for accom mostly as there's nothing there. So it's cheaper, obvs.

I don't have a real handle on Flaine property but as a purpose built French self-catering resort, houses/villas/chalets of any description I presume are quite rare.

Les Carroz Is quite sought after (I think there's even a Michelin starred resto there now) hence pricing!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy