Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Gear replacement (timeframe)

Poster: A snowHead
So here's a question, how often do you change your ski equipment?

by this i mean things that aren't subject to fashion (ski jackets) or marketing guff (skis) like gloves, helmets, poles, googles?

I was getting excited for the upcoming season by looking back over pictures from previous seasons and i suddenly noticed that i've had the same ski googles and helmet since about 2010! Now i ride a lot of bikes and i know helmets etc have a shelf life and i would never consider keeping a bike helmet for that length of time, they get replaced after every crash or every 2 years (which ever happens first haha) but the ski helmet thing i've never thought about.

I average about 25-30 days on the snow each year so that's about 250 days on the same helmet with a few hits.

i expect that we change clothing based on fashion and skis based on tech or new styles but how often do you swap out the other kit?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@enduroaid, jackets / pants / goggles / gloves / in fact, everything when they wear out.

I like to think we do 50-60 days a season ... but they are not necessarily all very full days Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowboard boots would be my main item that NEEDS renewing, I use top end stiff boots and they last 100-130 days which is 3 years for me.

Helmets: when I think it needs it, say 3 years plus.

Boards: I like to buy a new board most years but that's pure indulgence.

Gloves; 3 years or so but have good ones now so I'm looking after them.

Clothing lasts forever once you get decent stuff.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My 20 year old Ski Pants got (potentially) replaced due to a Timeframe problem - Mine! Toofy Grin

Put on just a little weight around the middle. I hope to lose it, but needed insurance from TK Maxx.

Other stuff I hoard, as I buy when I see a "Too good to be true" offer. Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I keep considering replacing my thermals - 2 tops and 2 sets of leggings. They're "Rodeo" branded - my mum bought them for me from C&A in Birmingham when I first went skiing with the school in (I think) 1982. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am going to watch this thread with interest, I have no strategy whatsoever.

But helmet must be at least 10 years old now, though I am only aware of one moderate bump (though it saved me a few times from thumps by chairlift bars being brought over before I was ready). Goggles are probably beyond the pale (I wear sunglasses whenever conditions permit) but we have a collection of goggles due to my wife's struggles over the years to find ones compatible with her glasses, so I will probably just swap to one of those. Gloves rarely last more than two years anyway. Boots have only done about 6 weeks (used to rent before that) and skis were almost new when Covid hit.

Like @Judwin thermals are old - though not nearly as old as his - but leggings only used infrequently when really cold, and I have over time acquired a slightly lesser thickness top and another from merino wool.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@enduroaid, Skis last about 100 days. Boots about 15 years - 400 days. Gloves last until the gaffer tape no longer covers the holes, the same with jackets and trousers (I wear normal pants for skiing so they get mixed in with day to day life), hats - indefinate, Iv'e never worn one out. Poles, until I cannot straighten them any more, or they are stolen. Goggles I wear until they are either broken or the foam has disintegrated. I think one pair I use are over 30 years old. I have several pairs.

@j b, my gloves normally manage over 200 days. In fact the ones I am using at the moment are approaching 300.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, gloves used to max out around 80-100 days for me due to the smell but washable liners fixed that.

Ski boots; kind of have to consider shells and liners independently ...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My ski helmet was about 8years old and a budget special as didn't know if I was to continue skiing... Its done its job well but literally just pulled the trigger today on a Giro Neo Mips lid... Also replenished my base layers and treated myself to a couple of pairs of Icebreaker socks...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, I think my hands don't correspond to the shape manufacturers work to. Ones that are the right finger length tend to be too tight over the palm which means seams split. As a result I buy ones a size too big, but somehow that also increases the wear.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dunno. When stuff is beyond duct tape or when you find something newer you like better. For helmets probably buy a new "spare" every 4 or 5 years when I find something that fits my melon head.

I have a tonne of gloves for every conceivable weather scenario - 901 mitts for deep winter, mechanics gloves for spring.

Boot shells until bits start to fall off them then beyond if they are "just right". Liners dead by 100 days easy.

Poles pick up the oldest school burly Alu ones in a sports recycler shop when I find some I like.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My first jacket lasted me about 20 years then I switched from the back row to the second row and needed a bigger one Toofy Grin
I've just bought my fourth (not got to wear it yet, thanks Mr Covid) in 40 years of skiing.

As for skis:
    well those look pretty
    and I like the ones in red
    how many pairs do I have ?
    well it's not that many ...

PS.
I just dated the second jacket, I bought it on this holiday, one I will never forget (so it was only 18 years old).
Quote:

BANFF – This month marks the 20th anniversary of the fatal cougar attack on Frances Frost as she cross-country skied near Lake Minnewanka in Banff National Park.

To this day, the Jan. 2, 2001 death of the 30-year-old Canmore resident remains the only fatal cougar attack in Alberta’s history.

The day previous it killed a husky that was tied up outside a house just outside the town.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I replaced my helmet when newer tech came out making them safer. Whilst I'm sure sum of it was marketing guff on how much safer I decided any improvement was worth the 150 quid.

Gloves every year/2 years/3 years. i.e. whenever I lose them.

Goggles - Probably averages out to be 2 pairs every 3 years as they get scratched so I am either replacing lenses or whole goggles. I can't stand scratches on them and they scratch so damn easily. Oddly they scratch more when you enjoy après ski more than average.

Clothes - buy way to much outerwear. Love it and get's me excited for the coming season.

Skis - I've had 3 pairs in 10 years. Only have 1 pair at a time mind you. Rent skis 50% of the time if I'm doing trips that are anything less than 7 days.

Thermals - they last well and some are easily 10 years old.

Poles get replaced when people brake them. A mate of mine must have ruined 2 of my poles on his own by either sitting on them, snowboarding into/over them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gloves-about every 3 years.
Skis-In my case there is a not very fine line between "needing" and "wanting" new skis. I did buy a new midfat pair last winter with Salomon Shift bindings. All completely justified ( Very Happy ) as my old Brahmas were starting to fall apart and I wanted to try my hand at some novice touring.
I've had my fat skis for about 7/8 years.
More piste orientated skis about 5 years.
Thermals-when they get holes in.
Outer gear-when the previous shell jacket starts to fall apart.

Goggles-I've had my Anon goggles with magnetic lenses for at least 6 years and now just replace lenses when they get scratched.
Helmet-every 4-5 years.
Boots-probably about 5 years or so. Hate changing them.
Ski trousers-I had had my crazy tartan trousers for over 10 years and they still get an outing from time to time!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slightly off topic just curious to see how people manage to average 30+ days per season. I'm struggling to fit two weeks in!
snow conditions
The correct amount for any piece of ski equipment or item of clothing in N+1.
ski holidays
@euanovsky, in answer to your question..Self employment, but in a profession rather than having to run a business. I consider myself very fortunate as I'm not tied to 4-5 weeks holiday per year Very Happy
snow report
euanovsky wrote:
slightly off topic just curious to see how people manage to average 30+ days per season. I'm struggling to fit two weeks in!

Well you probably have 25 days annual leave for starters. Time your travel well and do 1 fortnight plus 1 week and that's 23 days from 15 days leave. Add in BHs over Xmas and you get another 9 from 3 days leave Easter is 4 days for free . 36 days already and you've still got some leave left for "summer" holiday if you are one of those saddos into such things wink
snow report
I have had my Hestra Alpine Pro gloves for 12 years now...I have changed the liners a few times, but they are still going strong. Happy. I probably ski 35+ days a season. My trick to keep the leather well greased up using saddle leather softener...
snow report
What DoTm said on holidays, it's all a question of managing things carefully. It helps too if you have business meetings in snowy places, like America. Ok, it's a big continent, but your average company travel people have little idea of geography outside Disneyland and it's surprising how many places are within reasonable distance of mountains. Xmas is handy as many companies have weird policies around there which can be exploited if you're careful. Once you have your own business it's not an issue if you're good at remote stuff.

Gear... when I was poor, I'd keep it as long as I could because I was poor. Now I'm not, I get new stuff when I see something I like better than the stuff I've got. My mates are always happy to take last season's Gore-tex off my hands, and if I've more they don't need then the charity shop workers are next in line. My oldest stuff is probably, um, possibly my Kessler [race] snowboard - race board designs don't change much.

You definitely need to "soap" up anything with leather near it. Mitts last longer than gloves as they've fewer fiddly bits and seams to seal.
snow report
Still using my Couloir jacket from circa 1998.
Would use my Ami Chaud gloves from 1994 but lost one 5 years ago.
Dumped my no brand padded trousers for fancy Rossignol race trousers on sale in Andorra. They are nice but are looking tired after 5 years.
Helmet might have 4 years now.
But I only ski 1-2 weeks a year.
snow report
my POC gloves are pushing 10 years and several cuts but are good. Jacket and trousers 4 years and skis/ boots 5 years, only got new ones as they were a wedding gift from my wife.

interesting to see what people think in terms of replacement, i think its time for a new helmet.
snow conditions
enduroaid wrote:

Now i ride a lot of bikes and i know helmets etc have a shelf life...

That's actually just a marketing claim by the helmet industry and has been debunked a long time ago. Bike helmets hardly deteriorate over time. Same goes for ski helmets as they are made of polystyrene as well.
snow conditions
Having skied in a series of ridiculous woolly hats for 30 years, I don't see myself changing my 12 year old, well-fitting, comfortable Salomon Custom Air helmet, until it gets a bad knock.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy