Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire at Geneva, that chestnut

Poster: A snowHead
Just a comment that states the obvious, but I think it's becoming increasingly wise to try and book flights in relation to public transport timetables to your destination i.e. work backwards from when you want to arrive in your resort. This will help avoid either long gaps in the transit schedule or picking a flight that's too late in the day. And even if you're intending to hire, it gives you a backup option in case of problems.

I often find that when we're 'in residence' at our place and friends and family are coming and going, the outbound flight is often selected as if they were hiring a car and the transfer wasn't an issue. The common problem is that they're stranded for 2-3 hours over lunchtime where the télépherique links with the local bus, because the schedule reflects that few people are travelling at this time. On the way back, because there's a bus out of the village to the railway station in the valley at 8am and 9am, the problem is more often that they've chosen a flight that has them hanging-about at the airport much longer then needed.

Of course, some locations are difficult/impossible to get to on public transport. But for quite a lot, you can pick a flight that leaves you with public transport as an option/contingency, but it can be helpful to pick the flight based on with a 'working backwards' approach.

I also think that it's sensible if you're in a group arriving on different flights to schedule them in relation to public transport. If the driver(s) are delayed, then there's the option to get the train. And if one/more of the passengers gets delayed, then the hire vehicle can leave and the delayed follow them on public transport. I for one have had this when five of us had to wait 4½ hours for one person to turn up after their flight was delayed. Similarly, I always tell people coming/going while we're in residence that they need to assume I can't pick them up from the valley, even if I want too, because of weather. The PostBus will almost always get through - but if it can't then I certainly won't be able to.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My concern was more that the hire rates seem to have trebled since I booked the flights.
I need transport from Geneva, to Le Fayet, and transport for nine people for the week.

At the moment, a set of wheels & snow tyres, I drive out for January; March, I drive out and pick them up at the airport, hire a small car for the other guys: is looking more flexible, and no dearer.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jameswp Can the people you're picking-up get nearer to the destination by train? Sometimes this hybrid approach can work quite well i.e. you do the final leg of the transfer. Where we are, getting to within 15kms is no problem, and indeed, going by train from GVA Arrivals is easier than hiring, really. It's just the last leg which is more prone to gaps in the timetable. It also means that if they're delayed, I'm not hanging about in GVA waiting, or getting caught up in the traffic en route.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just had this emailed to me by a friend, so French side and chains in the boot will do.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/New-winter-tyre-rules-take-effect-on-some-French-roads-from-November

Must admit, last time I actually stayed in Switzerland, the Hotel bill in Geneva did leave me thinking the place looked better in the rear view mirror.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Car rental has been nuts for more than a year now. A combination of covid hangover (rental companies not buying new cars, huge rebound in travel, companies need to make back money they lost) + semiconductor shortage (automakers prioritizing building and selling high-margin/high trim level cars rather than base models for rental sales) ==> rental rates through the roof.

However, they're still relatively affordable in Italy. I just locked in a Fiat 500L (one of the worst cars in recent years, but decent space for four) at Marco Polo/Venice for 450 euros/8 days...have paid less in the past, but it is what it is...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Pasigal, sign of the times that 450 euros for 8 days counts as "relatively affordable" Sad On my last ski trip to Italy in March 2019, car hire cost 77 euros for 8 days!

If these high car hire prices persist into future seasons, I will need to rethink my current approach to skiing holidays - which is to fly, hire a car and visit multiple resorts.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been asked if I'd like to join my sisters family in Tignes 26th Dec-Jan 2nd. All I've got to do is get myself there. I said yes, obviously.

Flights - looks like nothing below £400 return with a bag. Car hire - nothing below £700 for a week. So struggling to get it below £1100, and that's ignoring airport parking and car hire add-ons.

I'm thinking £220 for the chunnel, £200 for petrol and £125 for tolls and I can drive there for not much more than £550. Just got to be careful with the alcohol intake on Christmas day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Judwin, may not be relevant for you but your £550 would be for 4 people if you filled the car. if I stayed anywhere near a couple of hours from tunnel I dont think I would ever fly
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sorry all, but i am feeling quite smug now as i booked back in feb for this feb half term, 9 days renault kadjar or similar (gva swiss side) for 336 chf, currently £270 at todays exchange rate, with free cancellation on a 36chf deposit Very Happy Very Happy

with all the responses above, i will definitely stop trying to get any cheaper, which i have been from time to time!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Car hire - nothing below £700 for a week.

And then there is the train from Geneva airport to Bourg st Maurice at £31 plus a taxi to Tignes. The flights, however, are still looking very expensive.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How much would a taxi from Bourg to Valdisere run to?
My only experience of French taxis was chasing a dead Volvo around Lille a couple of years ago, the prices were eye watering.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jameswp wrote:
How much would a taxi from Bourg to Valdisere run to?

Looks like about 80-90 Euros each way (from Google), although I don't know if it's the same rates on a Sunday. Bens Bus from Geneva to Tignes seems a better option at about £90 return if flight times are Ok.

Still think I'm gonna drive though - will be 3 or 4 hours slower/longer (traffic permitting), but only one border to cross and no airports.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Judwin, Look at Snow Drone Transfers. They run about 6 scheduled shared vans a day from
Geneva airport to Val d’Isere / Tignes. It’s approximately €70 each way
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OMG! just checking 8 days over New Year and the cheapest is around £900! That's around twice what we'd normally pay at this time of year
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
zazoupazou wrote:
OMG! just checking 8 days over New Year and the cheapest is around £900! That's around twice what we'd normally pay at this time of year

Whats that for, a Fiat500? A couple of years ago I think we paid half that for a 7 seater. Shocked
snow conditions
Checking private car/taxi and that's around £150-200 each way to Praz sur Arly. Given there are 5 of us that's what we'd pay Alpybus etc
So, will save £500 but we will have to stay local. Our fave ski hire people have said they can deliver - but not sure high season. Will need to do supermarket etc on foot
latest report
£900 for a Ford Focus; just a compact 5 seater!
latest report
Yup. Thats the going rate at the mo, its been about that for the last little while and creeping up. I don’t think it will go down despite me about to cancel on a couple as we’re going to take the train.
latest report
WindOfChange wrote:
james75 wrote:
So would a train to Val D’Illiez, followed by a bus/taxi up to resort work?

Allowing for the usual airplane station nonsense, you could feasibly get the R90 train from Contrin towards Brig at 15:11, which arrives in Aigle at 16:20.
You can get the R25 cog from platform 11 in Aigle at 17:28, this arrives in Val d'Illiez at 18:23.
Then take the 81 bus to Les Crossets, arriving 19:28
According to the timetable the bus leaves at 18:25, and you might think this is tight, but the bus waits for the train, as it is a joined up service, but because it's in Switzerland, the train will be on time. The bus driver will normally help load your bags / skis as well.
With the current pricing it will be 16.40 francs which is about GBP 13.20.

It may be possible to do it without such long gaps, but this is the no-rush way. According to the SBB site, the whole journey is 2h54 mins, but my defensive planning allows for a quiet pint in Aigle.

As for the whole French-side winter tyres surcharge, I would have thought that as of yesterday when the new winter tyres / chains rule came in, winterisation for must be standard for the French cars or they will not be legally allowed to leave the airport.

Thank you so much for that detailed breakdown - looks like a plan. will have a realy good look at all those timings as ideally wanted to be in resort before 6 to pick up skis & boots! Might be a bit too tight though. May have to train it to Aigle and then a taxi from there to resort. Thanks again though Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
@james75, I think if you just take trains and the Postbus the earliest you'll get there at 18:55.
Taxi from Aigle will be expensive.
Best option would be trains to Val d'Illiez then a taxi for the last bit.
The 14:23 train from the airport will put you in Val D'Illiez at 17:25, from where its about 10-15 mins in a taxi (10 KM).
latest report
zazoupazou wrote:

Glad to say this isn't a permanent situation. Probably a combo of late booking; v. busy period and maybe building disruption on French side reducing supply.

Just booked a car for half term and got a 4x4 for £250 for 9 days!

Pick up from the French side - obviously that means summer tires (but it is 4x4) and need to pay for Vignette for Swiss motorways - even so it's a bargain even in normal times.
snow conditions
zazoupazou wrote:
Who did you book with?

I wonder if the (likely?) legal changes around requirements for all cars to have winter equipment when driving in the French Alps will mean that rental companies will start equipping their cars in the same way as they do in Switzerland? I don't mind paying extra for winterisation, but when I've tried to do that in the past from Lyon airport it was impossible to guarantee a car with winter tyres. When hiring from Toulouse for a trip to the Pyrenees I paid extra but had to downgrade a car size to get a car with winter tyres, and the chains that were provided were the wrong size and secured with a thick plastic cable tie that I wouldn't have been able to gnaw through with my teeth if I'd needed to use the chains. Those problems are avoided by hiring from the Swiss side of GVA, but this winter the rental prices there are insane.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
zazoupazou wrote:
Who did you book with?

Enterprise via Carrentals.co.uk
snow report
zazoupazou wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
zazoupazou wrote:
Who did you book with?

Enterprise via Carrentals.co.uk
Thanks.
ski holidays
zazoupazou wrote:
zazoupazou wrote:

Glad to say this isn't a permanent situation. Probably a combo of late booking; v. busy period and maybe building disruption on French side reducing supply.

Pick up from the French side - obviously that means summer tires (but it is 4x4) and need to pay for Vignette for Swiss motorways - even so it's a bargain even in normal times.

Watch this :

http://youtube.com/v/atayHQYqA3g

4WD is no substitute for winter tyres.
latest report
snowdave wrote:
@ster, yep, there's plenty of issues with the French side - the faff of two extra border crossings, 15 mins longer journey, absence of motorway permit, extra cost for snow tyres (c. £20/week). However, for £700 price difference I can live with it.

£20 per week? If Ican get snow tyres for less than £3.50 a day (when the car costs £200 less than a CH rental) I will be well pleased!

Which hire company is that with?
snow report
With the French law change, I thought all French hire cars out of Geneva came with winter tyres from November 1st. The drive through Geneva rather than round it is not much of an issue & let you see a bit of the city.
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
With the French law change, I thought all French hire cars out of Geneva came with winter tyres from November 1st. The drive through Geneva rather than round it is not much of an issue & let you see a bit of the city.
All cars from the Swiss side of GVA come equipped with winter tyres. I don’t think that has previously been the case on the French side of GVA. Will the law change now mean those cars are winterised?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Will the law change now mean those cars are winterised?

The law change just means that you can be required to have chains anywhere in the alpine departments, maybe more of a chance that the supplied ones will fit the car in future
snow report
Quote:

The law change just means that you can be required to have chains anywhere in the alpine departments,

I'm not sure about that. I may be wrong but the Isere lists which communes they are required for and which they are not. The valley communes are excempt
snow report
@zazoupazou Just check that your 4x4 can actually take chains at all. It's not uncommon for standard 4x4 wheels to be too big to take conventional chains.
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
WindOfChange wrote:

As for the whole French-side winter tyres surcharge, I would have thought that as of yesterday when the new winter tyres / chains rule came in, winterisation for must be standard for the French cars or they will not be legally allowed to leave the airport.

I did think that but was waiting for someone more in the know to confirm.............

Also interested.
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
WindOfChange wrote:

I did think that but was waiting for someone more in the know to confirm.............

Also interested.

I don't understand why it would be illegal for a car to leave the airport - my understanding is that the new winter tyre regulations do not apply to the entire commune, but to selected areas within it, as determined by the local prefet. Unless Ferney Voltaire is within a mandatory winter tyre zone, you'd be able to drive on summers.

As I indicated above, with Europcar (booking after the recent law change) I was offered winter tyres for about £18/week, or snow chains for about £40. I went for the tyres option. Avis had some cars with winter tyres included in the price, and some optional.
snow conditions
I’m driving out to Austria before Christmas, leaving the car for the season and will bring it back after my last trip. I live in London and get round by public transport mostly and my car is near 20 years old and valued at £150 so leaving it is a risk I’m prepared to take.
snow conditions
snowdave,

£18 per week for winter tyres?

I've just been offered then for £240 from the French side of Geneva! Shocked Shocked

Europcar (a different company to the above) aren't offering winter tyres as an optional extra on their website, though I can have snow socks for £18 or chains for £127.

It looks like I will be hiring from the French side as 8 days rental is £180 from there, plus socks or chains, versus £380 from the CH side. Shocked

As others have said, the prices this year are a joke in CH.
snow conditions
Sorry to 'go there'. I've not rented from the French side in GVA before so I have a couple of quick questions about possibly using that side for a trip to Val Thorens in early April ...

1- In April, just driving around Geneva to get to France I'm guessing I would be required to have winter tyres?
2- Is there a legal requirement to have winter tyres in France in April? (Hertz didn't offer me a winterisation option). I know that winter tyres make a difference, I would probably buy a set of chains at a supermarket, just in case there's a dump in resort on my arrival/departure day.
3-Is it still the case that you don't need a swiss Vignette if you avoid the motorways?

Thanks in advice for the sage advice.
latest report
Quote:

1- In April, just driving around Geneva to get to France I'm guessing I would be required to have winter tyres?
2- Is there a legal requirement to have winter tyres in France in April? (Hertz didn't offer me a winterisation option). I know that winter tyres make a difference, I would probably buy a set of chains at a supermarket, just in case there's a dump in resort on my arrival/departure day.
3-Is it still the case that you don't need a swiss Vignette if you avoid the motorways?

1/ Winter tyres are not required in Switzerland or France in April
2/ No, but you may need chains. I have driven to Les Arcs a lot and only needed to fit chains twice. One of those was in April. I would be suprised if you were offered a winterisation option in April
3/ The vignette is only required for Swiss motorways. Check wether your car has one already. They often do.

ps has the French side car hire now reopened? When I recently checked there was nothing available apart from the middle of the day.
ski holidays
Thanks for the fast response. Hertz and Alamo both offered hire cars for collection 2nd April in the morning. Normally I'd just use the swiss side but the price difference, as others have noted, is massive.
latest report
WindOfChange wrote:
@james75, I think if you just take trains and the Postbus the earliest you'll get there at 18:55.
Taxi from Aigle will be expensive.
Best option would be trains to Val d'Illiez then a taxi for the last bit.
The 14:23 train from the airport will put you in Val D'Illiez at 17:25, from where its about 10-15 mins in a taxi (10 KM).

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. Having had a really good look at train times and connecting trains / buses etc, I’ve gone for the quickest route, which is the 15:11 from Geneva to Aigle (1hr10mins - no changes) and then a taxi to resort, in order try and make the hire shop before 6. I have had 2 quotes for a taxi - 100CHF - 120 CHF each way. A little pricey but considering a car was £600+ i think that’s ok.
latest report
Hi, been looking at Geneva car hire for a 4 day weekend in March. I've previously used Autoeurope.co.uk but have found (via another Snowheads thread Smile ) Discovercars.com which is about £100 cheaper. Only thing looking odd is the pick-up instructions:

"Before picking up your vehicle, follow these instructions: 1. Please get your free TPG bus ticket at the machine which is located in the baggage pickup area of the airport - right before the exit doors. 2. Head to the Departure Level (upstairs), & exit the airport. 3. On your left, you’ll find different bus stops (in front of the CFF train station). 4. Embark on one of the following buses: 23 - Direction: Carouge-Tours 28 - Direction: Les Esserts 56/57 - Direction: Hôpital La Tour 5, Get off the bus at the following stop: BLANDONNET. 6. Head up the stairs and you’ll find the desk at the entry of the Blandonnet Shopping Center. It is located at the main entrance, in front of the COOP Restaurant. In case you encounter difficulties, you can contact at: +41 22 341 22 22"

I don't recall doing that previously but it was pre-pandemic. I think we walked through the terminal to the desks, got the keys and then took a short bus ride. Is the above the new normal or is this a big faff to get the cheap price. Speed out of GVA is a big attraction on a weekend trip.

TIA
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy