Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire at Geneva, that chestnut

Poster: A snowHead
Just been looking at hire rates for January and March.
Swiss side seems to be double the French; March "needs" a nine seater (although hiring two cars could be cheaper).
Have rates suddenly jumped?, a lot, or did I miss-read them back in September; they seem to have near on trebled.
March, the car hire is now more than flights and accommodation combined.
I could bin the flights and drive out cheaper at this point.

Any advice on alternatives please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rates have rocketed recently. Pretty much doubled for Feb I reckon. I’ve learned my lesson and will book a car as soon as I book flights - we have a long weekend in Feb (not half term) and we’ve ended up paying £600 for a Ford Focus for 4 days.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I reckon you want to book hire cars will free cancellation (up to 48hrs before) well in advance of flights with a variety of likely dates to lock a price in, then arbitrage if you can when you book.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ster, good call. I have a couple of options in March so may book a couple of cars until my daughters make their ******* minds up…
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The French side rates are normal/cheap. £250 for a mid-size for half term (Europcar) with free cancellation etc.

Swiss side rates are insane; not much below £1k for the week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowdave, Congratulations on finding Geneva airport French side car hire. When I looked there were no cars available. Now I see that the car rental is only available for a few hours a day, which don't correspond to when my potential flights land.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Isn’t there an issue with the French side is where they are not obliged to provide winter tyres as the Swiss side is at certain times of the year. Perhaps one reason, apart from the general differences in price levels, between the Swiss and French side.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ster, yep, there's plenty of issues with the French side - the faff of two extra border crossings, 15 mins longer journey, absence of motorway permit, extra cost for snow tyres (c. £20/week). However, for £700 price difference I can live with it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just to make things more complicated Geneva Airport is shutting the French side for 4 months https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Passagers/News/2024-2020/Secteur-francais-modification-parcours-passager
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timc, Thanks for flagging - worth noting it's only checkin and security. "This temporary relocation of check-in and security clearance has no impact on French car rental companies, which remain available to their customers, as well as for passengers with tickets to other destinations arriving via the customs road. Using the customs road and the car parks on the French side are still possible. "
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A set of snow chains can be had for circa £50 at most larger French supermarkets/hypermarkets. Just stop sooner rather than later because if you end up in Bourg during a Snowmageddon event they will probably have sold out of the size you need. And don't drive up to the resort on summers on a dry road, only to find snow covered roads on departure day - you will pay through the nose for chains in resort (assuming you can find any).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a mini heart attack when I checked the prices for our Christmas trip to Thyon - 19th December to 1st Jan - coming in at £3500+ for an SUV/Estate!!

The relief when the wife reminded me we booked the car hire a few months ago and it was "only" £950
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NewSkiingDad wrote:
I had a mini heart attack when I checked the prices for our Christmas trip to Thyon - 19th December to 1st Jan - coming in at £3500+ for an SUV/Estate!!

The relief when the wife reminded me we booked the car hire a few months ago and it was "only" £950

Just had that heart attack whilst checking prices as I thought I had booked at £300 for 18-23th Dec. Unfortunately I hadn’t confirmed booking Eh oh! Eh oh! Cheapest price now is £600.

Given that info - any suggestions for getting from Geneva to Les Crosets on Dec 18th, and back to Geneva on 23rd???
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
james75 wrote:
any suggestions for getting from Geneva to Les Crosets on Dec 18th, and back to Geneva on 23rd???

Probably a train to Monthey and then another one to Champery, then cable car up to resort - hopefully someone with local knowledge can confirm!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
denfinella wrote:
james75 wrote:
any suggestions for getting from Geneva to Les Crosets on Dec 18th, and back to Geneva on 23rd???

Probably a train to Monthey and then another one to Champery, then cable car up to resort - hopefully someone with local knowledge can confirm!

Have taken the train to Champery which is further up the valley - was super super simple - granted in your case you will likely need to get off at Val D'illiez or just after and get a bus for the last bit - I couldn't fault the swiss train service! was just under 50CHF per adult one way last year.
ski holidays
Oh yes, sorry, I forgot that the cable car doesn't go directly to Les Crosets, it goes to the hill above it! (Though if you had skis and boots...)
snow report
@denfinella, hand luggage only then. wink
snow conditions
So would a train to Val D’Illiez, followed by a bus/taxi up to resort work? Landingin Geneva at 13:35?
ski holidays
Yeah, you'll change at Aigle and then the bus from Val D'illiez - the train to Aigle is pretty frequent its on the line that runs to Brig, then the train up was less frequent maybe 30/60mins from memory. Would check out www.sbb.ch for schedules - give them a call on the phone if you can't find what you need they are super helpful.
latest report
Ok this has me worried, cheapest I can find for 26 December- 4 January is £903 & that’s from French side
ski holidays
@Jonny996, cheap taxi to St G instead?!
snow report
@snowdave, I’ll be looking at bus, shared transfer or train but for sure I’m not going to be paying that for a car.
snow conditions
Utter madness, after new year scare I thought I better get booking half term.
£193 for 9 days, makes no sense
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
Utter madness, after new year scare I thought I better get booking half term.
£193 for 9 days, makes no sense

£193??
snow report
Yes, Renault twingo from the Swiss side
From Saturday through to the following Monday
ski holidays
For Feb half term?
latest report
@Jonny996, can I ask who that’s with? I’m looking for 26/2 to 2/3 and it’s £150 a day
latest report
I’m on £620 for 18/12 to 23/12 - swiss side, £420 French side!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For Feb half term?
ski holidays
Sorry Scottish half term 12/2-21/2
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
Sorry Scottish half term 12/2-21/2, it was via carrentals
snow report
@Jonny996, you got a bargain - appears to be £800+ now!
latest report
Ridiculous prices elsewhere too now. A January week from Salzburg Airport is coming up at £450+ now... rolling eyes
snow conditions
Apologies just checking booking as it seems to good to be true, it’s there but I noticed it is French side , still not to bad
ski holidays
It has gone crazy, seemingly everywhere. We have a long weekend for 2 in March and even using French side a private transfer to Val D'Isere is now only £40 more than car hire. Given we are flying Business on vouchers I'll pay the £40 and let someone else drive, and avail myself of the airport lounge!!
ski holidays
Ski in Switzerland and take the train?
snow report
twoodwar wrote:
Ski in Switzerland and take the train?

Given the double whammy of expensive flights and rental cars (and teen restrictions in France) I think if we go thats the way we’ll head and offset the flight price by losing the expensive car.
ski holidays
james75 wrote:
So would a train to Val D’Illiez, followed by a bus/taxi up to resort work?

Allowing for the usual airplane station nonsense, you could feasibly get the R90 train from Contrin towards Brig at 15:11, which arrives in Aigle at 16:20.
You can get the R25 cog from platform 11 in Aigle at 17:28, this arrives in Val d'Illiez at 18:23.
Then take the 81 bus to Les Crossets, arriving 19:28
According to the timetable the bus leaves at 18:25, and you might think this is tight, but the bus waits for the train, as it is a joined up service, but because it's in Switzerland, the train will be on time. The bus driver will normally help load your bags / skis as well.
With the current pricing it will be 16.40 francs which is about GBP 13.20.

It may be possible to do it without such long gaps, but this is the no-rush way. According to the SBB site, the whole journey is 2h54 mins, but my defensive planning allows for a quiet pint in Aigle.

As for the whole French-side winter tyres surcharge, I would have thought that as of yesterday when the new winter tyres / chains rule came in, winterisation for must be standard for the French cars or they will not be legally allowed to leave the airport.
snow report
WindOfChange wrote:

As for the whole French-side winter tyres surcharge, I would have thought that as of yesterday when the new winter tyres / chains rule came in, winterisation for must be standard for the French cars or they will not be legally allowed to leave the airport.

I did think that but was waiting for someone more in the know to confirm.............
snow report
Like wise.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy