Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European School Holidays 2020-21

Poster: A snowHead

Click image for a clearer version

Shamelessly lifted, once again, from Eric Bonnel:

https://twitter.com/ebonnel

Note that Mardi Gras / Fasching / Carnaval / Pancake Day is 16 February and Easter Sunday is 4 April 2021.

Preceding year: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139730

Succeeding year: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4739608

More useful links:
Calendar: https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=2020
Austria: https://www.feiertage-oesterreich.at/schulferien/2020/
France: https://cache.media.education.gouv.fr/file/Services/57/8/2019_calendrier_scolaire_2020_2021_1164578.pdf
Germany: https://www.schulferien.org/deutschland/ferien/2020-2021/

NOTE: This is for winter 2020-2021.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 17-02-21 14:41; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here's the dates for Austria:

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good old Eric - and good old altis too.

This is the bible for the child-free skier snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
UK Half term week looks like an incredibly busy week for Austria.
Any idea what Italy would be like that week?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does anyone know when Russian school holidays fall ?
We are in Alta Badia this feb half term and lots of Russians are here (and more in Kronplatz).

It is already very busy this year - with carnivale/ fasching next year aligning with virtually all the EU school holidays - Feb 2021 is to be avoided at all costs !!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sheffskibod, but the week before half term (ie 6 to 13 Feb) does not necessarily look too bad for dolomite skiing from the table? I doubt france holidays have too much influence on crowds in dollies, although I am more concerned over influence from German and polish hols? Austria possibly an influence too?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, any views on how busy Austrian resorts will be in the 1st week of Feb with partial holidays in Austria and Germany. Thanks in advance, Brian
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This chart is always very helpful, thx for posting. Now I get to wait and see if I will be allowed to enter Europe next season. Given the US response to the pandemic, that's iffy and for good reason.

(and FWIW I haven't run into Russians in Alta Badia)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@brianr, the whole of February is high season in Austria because someone is on holiday in every week, as the calendar above shows. Resorts will typically be 90% full or more, but full is a relative term. I've visited Saalbach-Hinterglemm in UK half term week every year for the last 10, and while it has been busy in places, we've also had some occasions when we were the only people on the piste. Choose your resort wisely and it will be busy but bearable. Max queue will be something like 10 minutes at peak times (e.g. 0930 when all of the ski schools arrive at the bottom of the key lifts), and less than 5 minutes at others.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@brianr, 1st week of Feb is a good time to go. The Austrians and Germans haven't fully ramped up by then and prices (including ours!) are about 20% lower for the 1st week. Plus, if you're driving down the roads will be a little less congested. Pick a decent sized resort and eat lunch late and you should be fine.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
First week of February is Vienna week in Austria which means roughly 35% of Austrians are on holiday. It is usually busier than UK half term, depending on which German and Dutch holidays coincide with that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all, I'm considering 20th Feb which, from the above holidays charts, would suggest no Germany or Austria holidays. I appreciate Dutch and Scandanavians are on holiday and favour Austria.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Am I correct in saying that 13-18th Austria will be a good, quiet time to visit? Bringing my father here for his first ski trip. Would be great if the slopes were relatively quiet too. Zell Am See we’re going Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nba2005uk, which month? 13-18 February will be busy. Same dates in April, less so. And December, January or March should be quieter.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
last week of Jan is usually pretty quiet in Austria.
snow conditions
Sorry I meant 13th March. Hoping for a bit of quietness and good weather!
snow conditions
13th March should be ok, its before the easter break so the crowds should arrive as you leave.
latest report
@queenie pretty please, During Vienna week do the Austrians Mainly tend to ski locally or do they venture into The rest of the Alps. I’m in Tignes that week. Was hoping for a quiet week.
ski holidays
Will there be a lot of poles in the french alpes in period of 31th of january till 7th of february?
ski holidays
No more than usual. They will be marking the edge of the pistes. Very Happy
ski holidays
@Eggfried, Vienna week is usually the busiest week of the season in our part of Austria. I would think very few Austrians make their way further west into France. Switzerland maybe. But most of them remain in Austria.
ski holidays
@queenie pretty please,
Thank you Queenie.
I’m in Obergurgl in 6th March. I understand that this is the 2nd week if the Hamburg holidays. Would you think the slopes would be very crowded because of this. I could move the trip back to the 13th March.
Thanks for your help.
snow report
No sign as yet of the calendar for 2021/22 ? I am guessing Monsieur Bonnel has more pressing concerns...

But for us long term planners (and since this season in reality is looking quite unlikely) - it would be nice to try and get something in place for us to pin hopes on...

Does anyone have any good links to school holidays country by country ?

Edit - I have tweeted Eric to ask politely if he will be creating a new one...
snow conditions
France here

https://www.vacances-scolaires-gouv.fr/vacances-scolaires-2021-2022
snow report
My partner has to change his week of annual leave from mid March 2021 to sometime in February (or late April). If skiing is miraculously unrestricted again by then, is the week of 20-27 February likely to be usable from a price / queues perspective?

We're usually able to go in low season so I don't have any recent experience of going in February.
ski holidays
In France you'd normally expect that to be a very busy, expensive week. 3rd week of 4 of the french holidays. 2 zones including Paris. But this winter won't be normal, who knows.
ski holidays
Thanks @Claude B. I meant to put "except France which I know will be busy then", but forgot! Italy would be more likely - any guesses? Does Italy "do" half term?
latest report
sheffskibod wrote:
No sign as yet of the calendar for 2021/22 ? I am guessing Monsieur Bonnel has more pressing concerns...

But for us long term planners (and since this season in reality is looking quite unlikely) - it would be nice to try and get something in place for us to pin hopes on...

Does anyone have any good links to school holidays country by country ?

Edit - I have tweeted Eric to ask politely if he will be creating a new one...

Update to this - Eric did respond to say yes he is working on it (but is obviously busy trying to get his season up and running)

He did give me a link to ALL the files he has created over the years - been doing it since 2009 !

https://t.co/4ViSURzQvh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure how to add the photo, but here’s the link for anyone wanting info on 21-22 holidays!

Apologies if I’ve missed another thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pdctr00fybsz0vx/AABjTo4zWHzYiPkQW0Auzk8Da?dl=0&preview=VAC+scol+21-22+au+04+janvier+2021.pdf

Aside from the french weeks, which other weeks are there to avoid for France.
snow report
@willirvine, nice one. snowHead
snow report
Here you go...

snow report
Thanks! So looking at that how busy do you expect w/c 22nd jan and w/c 29th jan to be. Working in a school up until now I’ve never had the chance to go outside of UK holidays.

We’re looking at France (most likely Val d’isere) at one of those weeks, I’ve no idea how much the Berlin and Brandenburg holidays and the polish holidays will affect us?
latest report
@willirvine, it'll be quiet both weeks. W/c 22nd Jan will be quieter.
snow report
@willirvine, Those two weeks are both crackers, the German speakers hardly go to France
snow report
@denfinella, I've always found the very first week of Feb to be the quietest (i.e. the one starting 29th Jan in this instance). The people without kids think it's holiday season, but none of the schools have broken up. I've taken the kids out of school for the last 4 years specifically to go on this week and we normally have the slopes to ourselves.

Now my wife has gone and got a flippin job in a school, so we're stuck to school holidays now Mad
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, more accurately she is stuck in school holidays....
ski holidays
Trying to work out what that means for the southern alps on w/c 19th Feb. If B is on holiday then, will they be flooded too?

It's looking more and more likely I'll be heading to Italy!
latest report
pieman666 wrote:
@Timmycb5, more accurately she is stuck in school holidays....

Haha! Yes, well I've already laid the foundations for 2 x family trips and at least 1 or 2 more for just me for next year.
snow report
That's the spirit @Timmycb5, I work at a school and my only question at interview was can I take holidays during term time (I'm support staff) luckily they said yes otherwise i would of had to of passed on the job...
snow conditions
@pieman666, my wife is support staff too, attendance officer. I guess she could ask the question?!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy