Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK joins EU Vaccine passport scheme

Poster: A snowHead
IT would appear that the UK Vaccine Passport Cert will now be recognised in the EU etc from the 1st of November.

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/eu-vaccine-passport-uk-joins-europe-covid-vaccination-certificate-scheme-1274431
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good news!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes excellent news
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How will this operate?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Won't we just flash the QR code on out NHS phone page, have it scanned and be welcomed with open arms?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Charliegolf, Unless you are selling fish.....! Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't have a smartphone so can't do QR codes and whatnot but do have a paper letter showing my vaccine. It says at the end of that article you can request another letter for international travel, does that mean my original letter is now not good enough? What is it going to say that is different?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Charliegolf wrote:
Won't we just flash the QR code on out NHS phone page, have it scanned and be welcomed with open arms?

I hope so. The problem with the NHS app is that you have to log in, which takes ages if you don’t have Face ID or Touch ID, then navigate your way to the appropriate section, and finally grab your certificate. The Swiss app just shows your certificate as soon as you launch it - no fiddling at all.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mah, Letters before 7th of Oct are no use (according to gov.scot) so I assume others in the rest of the UK are the same.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
telford_mike wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

I hope so. The problem with the NHS app is that you have to log in, which takes ages if you don’t have Face ID or Touch ID, then navigate your way to the appropriate section, and finally grab your certificate. The Swiss app just shows your certificate as soon as you launch it - no fiddling at all.
If you have an iPhone just add the NHS QR Code to your wallet. No need to even open the NHS app, which won't work if you don't currently have some sort of internet access.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
but does it change the stance on teenagers with the single UK allowed jab, My teen has the UK & French app but at a restaurant last week we were advised that his QR code was for his first only.
I should say it was followed by a shrug of the shoulders & served us anyway.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agreed, when you have added the QR code to the "wallet" it's just a double click on the side button of your iPhone to bring it up. Far less hassle and much quicker
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
telford_mike wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

The NHS Scotland vaccine certificate app works off-line (i.e. no remote server login required), and takes literally 3 seconds (I just counted) to display the QR code and the vaccine types/dates. If a user doesn't have fingerprint reader on their device, they use a 4 digit PIN instead.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mah, We requested the NHS "letter" version a while back and I don't think that they're suitable. Ours show info ref both jabs. But the barcodes are just a single strip. I downloaded the PDF version from the NHS App. The letter and the info are pretty much identical apart from the barcodes. The latter has the QR "tile" type (2d?) barcodes.

(hope that makes sense)

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 29-10-21 17:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I downloaded the PDF version from the NHS App
+1 for this - you can also request an email of the certificate from the app, but it's identical to the pdf download
I'm planning to print a couple of copies and maybe laminate one so it doesn't get too tatty
snow report
We used our NHS app in France in August and it worked just fine.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

If you have an iPhone just add the NHS QR Code to your wallet. No need to even open the NHS app, which won't work if you don't currently have some sort of internet access.

Good shout, thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
According to the article originally referred to, and my interpretation, it seems that the QR code is changing and needs to be reloaded so as to be recognised by the new system.

"Our vaccine certification app is working well and anyone planning to travel can download their Covid status QR codes again following the ‘go live’ date of the scheme from Monday 1 November"

Hopefully I'm just reading too much into it. But that.word "again" looks ominous.
snow report
GeorgeVII wrote:
@mah, We requested the NHS "letter" version a while back and I don't think that they're suitable. Ours show info ref both jabs. But the barcodes are just a single strip. I downloaded the PDF version from the NHS App. The letter and the info are pretty much identical apart from the barcodes. The latter has the QR "tile" type (2d?) barcodes.

(hope that makes sense)

Thanks. I'll need to look into this as without a smartphone I don't know how to get the app and therefore the letter with the QR code. As you say my current letter does not have a QR code only a strip barcode.
ski holidays
About time too.
latest report
mah wrote:
I don't have a smartphone so can't do QR codes and whatnot but do have a paper letter showing my vaccine. It says at the end of that article you can request another letter for international travel, does that mean my original letter is now not good enough? What is it going to say that is different?

I've just been through all this faff, and concluded it wasn't possible without a mobile 'phone. The reason is that even for online registration, the NHS portal requires you to have an "07" number to text you a validation code that you then enter into the web site. I tried it with one of those online numbers, but they seem to be blocked. The site won't let you enter anything other than an "07" number, so even though our works landlines can receive text messages, the NHS website won't let you use them.

So my method was to use an 'NHS burner phone'. Get any old cheap 3G phone, and a free sim card, and a £10 phonecard voucher from the post office. Activate it, and use the number to register on the NHS site and use that to receive your activation code. On the activation screen you can then tick a check box which says something like "remember this device and don't text me any more twaddle". Then bin the mobile phone.

Your next challenge is to defeat the following stages of verification. They want you to upload a photo of your passport, and video a video of yourself reading out a pin number. Not easy on a desktop pc with no camera or microphone. But the bottom of a list of options is to enter a load of guff you get from your doctors surgery. You need to be registered for internet access at your local surgery, but I did that on Wednesday, and they emailed me the magic codes that evening.

Pop the magic codes into the web page, and hopefully that'll let you in. Then you can see the 2 QR codes for your vax's. You can print them, download them, save them as pdf's etc.

If you use multiple devices (I've 5 desktops and 3 notebooks) you need to do the verification on each device, so don't bin the burner phone before you've activated everything you want to use.
snow report
moffatross wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

The NHS Scotland vaccine certificate app works off-line (i.e. no remote server login required), and takes literally 3 seconds (I just counted) to display the QR code and the vaccine types/dates. If a user doesn't have fingerprint reader on their device, they use a 4 digit PIN instead.

The NI one is similar, but with no security.

Will the different UK country apps work in Europe now, or is there an over-all one I need?
ski holidays
Does this mean TousAntiCovid app is no longer required for entry into France?
ski holidays
This is good news.

I wonder whether it also means that a UK issued QR code will work in Switzerland, or whether we'll still need to apply for a Swiss certificate?
snow conditions
@Oleski, I didn't use the French app to enter France in September, although it was on both our phones in case we were asked for it. We had uploaded everything in advance to Eurotunnel account. I assume everyone who then needed to see it on our trip through border control had access to it.
latest report
CathS wrote:
This is good news.

I wonder whether it also means that a UK issued QR code will work in Switzerland, or whether we'll still need to apply for a Swiss certificate?

It should do. I'll have an answer for you on Monday.
ski holidays
Oleski wrote:

Entry into France requires proof of vaccination status and the sworn declaration. Proof can be NHS app or paper copy, TAC is not neccesary to enter but once you get there access to restaurants and lots of other venues depends on TAC
ski holidays
esaw1 wrote:
According to the article originally referred to, and my interpretation, it seems that the QR code is changing and needs to be reloaded so as to be recognised by the new system.

"Our vaccine certification app is working well and anyone planning to travel can download their Covid status QR codes again following the ‘go live’ date of the scheme from Monday 1 November"

Hopefully I'm just reading too much into it. But that.word "again" looks ominous.

Following Rob’s comments, the NHS app for England offers a download- but valid up to 30 days only.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why does everyone refer to the UK app, no such thing exists
snow report
@Timc,

From the European Commission's website page on the EU Covid Certificate:

"Potential use of certificates for access to facilities
EU law covers the use of the EU Digital COVID Certificate to facilitate safe free movement inside the EU.

Member States can also use the COVID-19 certificates for domestic purposes, such as access to events or venues, but this is not regulated at the EU level.

In case a Member State adopts a system of COVID-19 certificate for domestic purposes, it should ensure that the EU Digital COVID Certificate is also fully accepted. This is to make sure that travellers going to another Member State do not have to obtain an additional national certificate."

This would suggest that you wouldn't need to have TAC in addition to the EU certificate. We'll find out soon enough anyway!
snow report
You don't need to faff around with apps if it's a hassle. Just get your QR code on display once and then screenshot it. Job done.
latest report
@stevomcd, But, as Achilles said above, the QR code is only valid for 30 days...
snow report
Oleski wrote:

It never was - the French verif app could read English NHS QR codes without having to import them into TAC.
latest report
albob wrote:
@stevomcd, But, as Achilles said above, the QR code is only valid for 30 days...

And (as I discovered recently) it disappears if you have a positive PCR test and doesn’t reappear until 10 days after your test (not your isolation date).You do, however, get a lovely “certificate of recovery” to add to your vax certs.
snow report
kb36 wrote:
Why does everyone refer to the UK app, no such thing exists

Everyone doesn't. I referred to the NHS app for England.
ski holidays
albob wrote:

and you can just refresh it and get another one.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
albob wrote:

and you can just refresh it and get another one.

Unless you get a positive PCR - there was a long thread recently where a chap had to cancel a trip because his certificates disappeared. I think I might be tempted to renew mine as I put my sample in the postbox!
snow report
Tom Doc wrote:
moffatross wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

The NI one is similar, but with no security.

Will the different UK country apps work in Europe now, or is there an over-all one I need?

The NHS Scotland app has two certificates, one for domestic, and one for EU/International, so I have no reason to believe that Scottish folk need a different and overarching UK digital vaccine certificate app.
snow report
Quote:

The NHS Scotland app has two certificates, one for domestic, and one for EU/International, so I have no reason to believe that Scottish folk need a different and overarching UK digital vaccine certificate app.

So does the English NHS App.
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

All you need to do is check it before you leave and take a screenshot of your certificate and put it to the top of your pictures
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy