Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skyway Monte Bianco - worth sacrificing a day skiing for?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If all goes to plan, we'll be in the Aosta valley in March with a 6 day pass for La Thuile. The pass includes two days in other Aosta valley resorts - one of which we'll probably use to visit Courmayeur.

For the other day - is it worth going up the Skyway Monte Bianco, as pedestrians (not skiers)? The alternative would probably be a day at Cervinia, though I hope we'll visit that ski area for a full week sometime in the future. Ditto for Monterosa Ski and the lower Aosta Valley resorts.

We will probably also ski Pila and Crevacol (and possibly Cogne) at a different time on the same trip, using separate lift passes.

Edit: we'll have a car.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 27-10-21 21:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, we went at sunset and the views were stunning, you don’t need a lot of time up there and the gondola is one of the fastest I’ve ever been on, it also rotates so you get a fantastic view on the way up.

We got there by the public bus from La Thuile as well.

It feels like your level with the top of the mountain but you’re a 1000 metres below it !
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went up it in the Summer and it was good with great views as @gad, states.
However, personally in the winter, with snow all around, I would feel a bit frustrated taking a lift up that high without skiing back down.
I agree with @gad, that it shouldn’t take up a whole day and maybe can be tagged onto the end of your Courmeyeur ski day, especially if the snow is getting a bit ropey by the afternoon in March
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can also stop in the middle station and have a short walk there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies. Seems the jury is out, so far...

The lift pass wording is a bit unclear, but I'm not sure you can do Courmayeur and the Skyway in a single day (unless you buy a separate lift ticket for €50pp or so, which I don't think would be worth it, for me). It also looks like Courmayeur merits a full day at least.

Similarly, I wonder if you're allowed to do half a day in La Thuile and the other half on the Skyway? I might ask the lift pass office about that.

e.g. 4 days La Thuile
1 day Courmayeur
1/2 day La Thuile + 1/2 day Skyway
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been up on the Skyway in summer and enjoyed it. Half a day would be enough and you could ski in Courmayeur that afternoon. I'd definitely do a full day in Courmayeur as well.

Have you considered skiing the vallee blanche to Chamonix with a guide...I think the Skyway goes to the place where you can start on the Italian side. (not completely sure about this as I skied the vallee blanche many years ago when the old Italian lift was there.) It used to be possible to book the vallee blanche trip including the bus back through the Mont Blanc tunnel.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Probably not if it’s a cloudy day?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@denfinella, Yes do it, it’s not often we get the chance to get close to the top of Europe.
We did it a few years ago when we were in Courmayuer for the week. We skied until 1pm then drove over and took the first lift to mid station and had lunch in the restaurant there, then took 2nd lift up to the top.
If I were going again I’d skip the lunch bit, food was fine but it felt like a bit of a waste of time, get there about 3 which will give plenty of time at the top. There is a cafe at mid station, I can’t remember if there’s one at the top.
Main thing to consider is going on a nice clear day, pointless going when it’s a whiteout.
I’m fairly certain you when you buy your pass there’s an option to include a day out and the skyway, there is also the option to buy the pass wheee you can ski any resort on any day plus one skyway trip which is about €10 more than a weeks pass.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skyway + guide and do a lap or 2 on the Toula glacier. If you can survive a black run and are happy on reds then you are good to go.
It's a lot shorter then the Vallee Blanche, a bit of a walk/pole to get to the main entrance (15-20min) but flat. Much easier than climbing out of the VB. You might be in luck and be able to ski all the way to the bottom.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Idris wrote:
Skyway + guide and do a lap or 2 on the Toula glacier. If you can survive a black run and are happy on reds then you are good to go.
It's a lot shorter then the Vallee Blanche, a bit of a walk/pole to get to the main entrance (15-20min) but flat. Much easier than climbing out of the VB. You might be in luck and be able to ski all the way to the bottom.

This surely!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes we combined it with a half day's skiing and half a day up the lift (as pedestrians) then a look around Courmayeur. Highly recommended.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree with various posters above. We went up about 2/3PM on our final day of 3 skiing in Courmayeur. I felt like I had done pretty much all the on piste skiing there was by then (at relaxed pace with some good lunches too) and it was nice to see. There’s a museum, shop and restaurant and all is totally skippable except the ride up and the view itself.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the replies.

Re. combining Courmayeur + Skyway on the same day:

I'm not keen on this, because 1. we'll only have a single day in Courmayeur, as we will be using a La Thuile lift pass, and 2. the La Thuile lift pass doesn't let you visit Courmayeur and Skyway on the same day - they count as two separate resorts for this purpose. I would need to buy a separate pass for either Courmayeur or the Skyway - which are both quite pricey.

Re. guided off-piste from the Skyway:

I will look into this, though it might be out of our budget range. It might be a bit tricky for my partner too, although technically he fits Idris's description of "fine on reds, survives blacks" Laughing One day I would like to do the Vallee Blanche, from the Chamonix side.

We will probably end up doing:

4 days in La Thuile
1 day in Courmayeur
1/2 day on the Skyway + 1/2 general sightseeing or back at La Thuile if allowed

Plus on separate lift passes: Pila, Crevacol, Cogne. Other Aosta valley resorts on a future trip!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds like a good shout. If you are keen to have a break from skiing and some time looking around, the skyway is as good an option as any. Especially if it’s covered on your lift pass.

Have a great time!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy