Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who has pulled the trigger on their season passes?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry I didn't state this clearly. We only take a season pass rather than an annual pass since our total lift usage during the summer season is less than 30 euro. Last summer I never used a lift at all in Les Arcs. I'm more into climbing than mountain biking.

OK, i'm inexperienced in these matters having only been blood waggoned off once. They kept my skis after I went to the medical centre and I had to go back to collect them the next day and pay the rescue fee. It was all very good natured and everyone spke English. I paid by credit card and claimed off the insurance policy when I got home. It took almost 15 minutes most of which was the claim for doctors treatment, pharmacy etc. Apart from the insurance company fiddling me by using the wrong exchange rate it all went smoothly. If I pay, let us say, 20€ for every year I spent skiing for extra insurance just to make the form filling easier that would be in the the order of 500€. I really do not see the point.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@johnE, which is all fine if you don’t find yourself being choppered off (when you could be paying out €000s), or end up in a debate with your insurance company about whether you were on the right or wrong bit of mountain to be covered. There’s endless threads on here about whether x policy covers you off-piste etc, and I like the fact i could just call from wherever I happen to be (or more importantly these days wherever one of my kids happens to be) and not have to think about form filling and reclaiming the costs. I’ve never been taken off the hill or rescued, but the one day I didn’t pay the €3 for my daughter’s boyfriend’s insurance he dislocated his shoulder, and ended up with a €600 bill for a 200m sledge ride - and of course being a 22 year old lad he thought his EHIC covered it… So my daughters both have assurance on their season passes as well as travel insurance. But you make a good point about what you’d have paid extra over the years!

My BMC insurance costs me 4x what my season carré neige costs and covers the same stuff, but having both means I don’t have to even think about whether what I’m doing is covered (eg when does ski touring become ski mountaineering?).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I got my early bird Glencoe pass £310
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@andy from embsay, I must have explained the ski area insurance about 5-6 times this week to various new colleagues who have got season passes for the first time. A quick illustration about paying out of their own pocket for a skidoo ride to a medical centre for a couple of x-rays (like another colleague had to last season!) led to 5 of them getting in the queue at the ticket office before our first lift this morning!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE wrote:
Sorry I didn't state this clearly. We only take a season pass rather than an annual pass since our total lift usage during the summer season is less than 30 euro. Last summer I never used a lift at all in Les Arcs. I'm more into climbing than mountain biking.

OK, i'm inexperienced in these matters having only been blood waggoned off once. They kept my skis after I went to the medical centre and I had to go back to collect them the next day and pay the rescue fee. It was all very good natured and everyone spke English. I paid by credit card and claimed off the insurance policy when I got home. It took almost 15 minutes most of which was the claim for doctors treatment, pharmacy etc. Apart from the insurance company fiddling me by using the wrong exchange rate it all went smoothly. If I pay, let us say, 20€ for every year I spent skiing for extra insurance just to make the form filling easier that would be in the the order of 500€. I really do not see the point.

I’ve been heli’ed off twice and had the same friend bloodwagoned off twice - unlucky couple perhaps but who knows who Lady Luck favours or not. For the pittance extra cost for carre neige or equivalent I always take pass insurance and always recommend it to others and always regard those not taking it as chumps. As soon as the Pisteurs know you’ve got it, you’re away…. I like to be in the hands of someone who knows they’re going to be paid - this augments normal trip/holiday insurance.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Top 4 purchased on Friday. They came out at £750 each, hopefully ski 50-60 days on them so still good value.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Just hit the buy button and €1,538 for an annual 3V pass with insurance. ouch....

For how many people? I've just paid €1188 for my wife and my Paradiski passes combined.

Though Carré Neige looks good value combined with EHIC I have declined it since I already have travel insurance.

The above price is for 1 season pass in the 3vs Shocked . Mrs B and I were relieved of €1465 each (without insurance) on Tuesday this week when we were in Val Thorens rolling eyes .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rogerdodger wrote:
Top 4 purchased on Friday. They came out at £750 each, hopefully ski 50-60 days on them so still good value.

That looks good value, maybe my 23/24 season destination
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grinning wrote:
johnE wrote:

I’ve been heli’ed off twice and had the same friend bloodwagoned off twice - unlucky couple perhaps but who knows who Lady Luck favours or not. For the pittance extra cost for carre neige or equivalent I always take pass insurance and always recommend it to others and always regard those not taking it as chumps. As soon as the Pisteurs know you’ve got it, you’re away…. I like to be in the hands of someone who knows they’re going to be paid - this augments normal trip/holiday insurance.

Mrs B has been stretchered off the mountain 4 times (Germany, USA, Canada and Austria - including 1 heli evacuation) and all went smoothly on the admin side with the rescues. My mate's grandson was also "rescued" from the mountain in Val Thorens when we were there. Again, admin-wise, all went well.

There were no questions asked on any occasion as to whether we had insurance or not and in each case it was evident that the rescuers were keen to assist and to do their jobs professionally. I certainly didn't get the impression that the ski patrol/heli team were wondering whether to assist or not, in case they (or rather, their organisation) weren't paid for the job.

So to believe that the ski patrollers/rescuers treat you differently if you aren't insured (with Carré Neige or similar) is (in my experience) something of a misconception.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bergmeister, I don’t think there’s any suggestion that you wouldn’t get taken off the hill - it’s just for a relatively small amount of money you can make the insurance conversation a very short and simple one, and not have to shell out what could be large amounts of money whilst waiting to get it back.

They’d never ask whether you have insurance - but they certainly ask if you have it on your lift pass as (in France at least) the process is different (having experienced both). With assurance on your pass they just need your lift pass #, without they have to take all your personal details, hand you a form and how to pay.

I imagine, as with uninsured drivers, there’s some kind of levy on policies to make sure the rescuers aren’t out of pocket in the case of non-payment.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy from embsay wrote:
@Bergmeister, I don’t think there’s any suggestion that you wouldn’t get taken off the hill - - - They’d never ask whether you have insurance - but they certainly ask if you have it on your lift pass as (in France at least) the process is different (having experienced both).

This ^

The Pisteurs do a great job no matter what your insurance status but having Carré Neige or equivalent made for a streamlined process, in my experiences. Perhaps @Idris might comment from the piste security perspective?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy