Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Decline of Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

That's a matter of opinion.

Uh-oh, sounds controversial.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eblunt wrote:
I like the way that 45 years ago you didn't get a letter published in the Times unless you were a 'name'. Lawrence Durrell's letter just above.

And Arthur Koestler too!

Get off me lawn!

But, you know, I could see where Monty was coming from. Back "in the day" there were only a couple of lifts, if any, and no sno-cats. So basically, it was like the motto of Mad River Glen in VT -- "Ski it if you can"
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I sometimes ski with someone who worked for Montgomery, I think at NATO, can't remember if he said they skied together.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about a fantasy race:

Monty on old schools skis vs an L4 instructor with modern kit. Gnarly off piste somewhere.

Who wins?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

That's a matter of opinion.

Uh-oh, sounds controversial.

Not really. Montgomery's failings are well documented. While unarguably one of the finest military strategists of his age, his unwillingness to deviate from a plan once committed to it, and reluctance to move without overwhelming numerical advantage caused issues in several late war operations, as did his regular disregard of orders from commanding officers he deemed 'Unsound'. His love of personal aggrandisement and his lack of tact caused rifts within the Allied forces, and cost him higher office in the post-war period.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
... cost him higher office in the post-war period.

Not sure what other posts he could have held, he was the head of the British Army then Deputy Commander of NATO.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
... cost him higher office in the post-war period.

Not sure what other posts he could have held, he was the head of the British Army then Deputy Commander of NATO.

PM or even editor of The Telegraph?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

PM

Quite - He was second only to Churchill for being adored by the public; although as someone once said "He is universally loved by anyone who has never met him". His terms as Chief of General Staff and his time as Dep.Cdr of NATO were basically a decade of constant bickering with his own side, but then again so was the preceding decade.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:

PM

Quite - He was second only to Churchill for being adored by the public; although as someone once said "He is universally loved by anyone who has never met him". His terms as Chief of General Staff and his time as Dep.Cdr of NATO were basically a decade of constant bickering with his own side, but then again so was the preceding decade.

He would have been an awful PM wouldn't he?

The funny thing about him a strategist is that having been very conservative he came up with Operation Market Garden which was about the least conservative operation you could come up with!
I'm no expert on this stuff but it is tempting to speculate he bridled at his reputation for not taking risks and wildly overcorrected.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MorningGory, because it is driving people away from highly efficient human power that keeps you fit, it is a huge waste of resources on the batteries, which despite the electricity power clamour is not great for those mining the rare metals in Africa, and as to @AL9000, point, in Liverpool at least they are nearly always on pavements.
Further the electric scooters are just dumped it would seem always in the middle of payments awaiting collection, blocking it for prams, wheelchairs etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@twoodwar, I'd say the opposite. I think it's encouraging people onto 2 wheels. Also hugely less wasteful than a car.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
... Not really. Montgomery's failings are well documented. While unarguably one of the finest military strategists of his age, his unwillingness to deviate from a plan once committed to it, and reluctance to move without overwhelming numerical advantage caused issues in several late war operations, as did his regular disregard of orders from commanding officers he deemed 'Unsound'. His love of personal aggrandisement and his lack of tact caused rifts within the Allied forces, and cost him higher office in the post-war period.
This.

I got onto it personally because my step father (who joined up whilst under-age and lived long) drove tanks for this Rupert amongst others.
I guess you could say that he wasn't as impressed with his leadership as the propaganda would suggest. I don't think Montgomery was
necessarily the thickest even.

Quote:
Jesus, some people are ignorant.
I was thinking about that as a general thing - how quick people are to put the worst possible connotation on things on the internet, versus real life. In real life you occasionally come across someone at work who'll take every piece of information and try to "weaponize" it in some destructive way, but it's very rare. On the internet it's the default mode of operation - if someone says something, instead of saying "why would you say that?", we instantly assume the correspondent is "ignorant". I'm not trying to slag anyone here - we all do this - I'm trying to work out why it happens and why we've not worked out a better approch.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
E scooters I can vaguely accept if they are replacing cycling/walking. But often they are replacing driving (or adding a mix of e scooter + train/bus) which still often improves activity (e.g. scoot to station, walk across station to platform, walk across destination station, scoot to destination still has a fair hike in the middle beyond what they would do in a car).

There is research showing e bikes actually result in more exercise/health benefit than normal bikes!

The explanation for this is:
1. Most benefit is gained at a very low level of exercise (so 70-80% assist still gets low level exercise)
2. They get far greater use because people are confident they will complete a journey so will use them as transport (rather than a sports activity)
3. People do tend to adjust the level of assist and it self adjusts because of the legally mandated cutout.
4. Often ebikes are used by the least mobile (seriously unfit (for whatever reason), elderly, disabled) who without assist would do nothing

To keep my post vaguely on topic:

Skis have also improved so are easier to use. But off piste skiing has probably not gotten much easier because:
1. easier routes with sensible gradients etc have been converted to pistes.
2. The better skis can cope with terrain relatively easily that was once regarded as impassible.
3. The internet means people know where the good off piste spots are so the easier nice off piste is skied out in hours (if it lasts that long)

Of course this also means people are more likely to take risks with ski standard on piste as well (complaining about moguls because they can't ski them as their easy to use carving skis otherwise let them cope with steep "difficult" blacks)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MorningGory, we’ll agree to disagree Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@twoodwar, I was thinking the same Very Happy
latest report
^ sickening!
We don’t come on here for agreement FFS!
ski holidays
@AL9000, F*ck agreement!
snow conditions
@MorningGory, Well said!
snow report
@AL9000, you may have noticed we are not agreeing Puzzled
ski holidays
@twoodwar, We've agreed - to disagree Very Happy
ski holidays
Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy