Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine Advice

Poster: A snowHead
@Nadenoodlee, I will confess that back in the day (1988-1991) I would have an omelette in les Marmottes at least once a week …
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@andy from embsay, no there is not. There is a beginner pass but probably worth waiting for ski school the next day and letting him take it all in on first afternoon.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Nadenoodlee, doesn't one of the little drags charge €1 a shot?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From distant memory I had a feeling that in Les Gets if you had something like a five or six day pass then you were allowed to use it for two or three hours the afternoon before it started.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think we’ll send him to the pub…
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@andy from embsay, there are 3 magic carpets in LG if he doesn't mind sharing them with 4 year olds. Also a flat tow rope / pulley system that drags you along for 50m. All free to use afaik
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @polo, as he’s not my responsibility I shall pass on the information and razz off up the hill with my own daughters!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, i’ve got a Daily Mail Good Ski Guide from 1994-i’ll have to dig it out and see if you remember any of the names of operators! I’d happily eat an omelette there every week for the rest of my days
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Heading here in Jan, all things permitting, for the first time. Having a quick look at the piste maps as you do. Figure I'll be off to Avoriaz a couple of times in the week anyway via linking lifts/pistes.

When coming back from Avoriaz to Morzine once you get back to the top of the SuperMorzine lift the trails on piste map appear to stop - is there a skiable route down to Morzine if there's snow cover or is it just a rough route under the lift, therefore people take that lift back down 99% of the time?

If you are heading back to Morzine from Avoriaz, what's the latest you can leave Avoriaz village as a medium paced skier? - is 20 minutes before the last SuperMorzine lift down to Morzine enough time?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Klammertime, there's no piste down from the Super M to Morzine at all, it's lift only from there.

I'd say 20 minutes is probably enough, but I'd leave 30 mins, it gets busy and the one lift you have to take, the TSD Séraussaix is quite slow.

Alternatively if you want more of a run down, take the Crôt blue run down to Les Prodains and catch a bus back to Morzine. There's also an option of skiing down to Ardent and getting a bus back to Morzine as well.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good point on skiing down to Prodains - you can leave that a lot later as the buses run quite a bit later so time for a beer in the Kinkerne at the bottom (2055 on 19/20 timetable).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1994, @Nadenoodlee, many of the ones operating while I was there went out of business after the '91 season, had been 3rd or 4th bad snow season, Iraq war, failure of Air Europe, etc.

Not sure how many I'd recall other that the big ones.

If you had the 89-90 edition 'twould be a different story Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@swskier, +1, Crot is in the shade quite a bit, and can be icy towards the bottom.
SM pistes (Zorre and Tetras) are in the sun and there are 2 nice bar / restos with big sunny terraces at the top of the SM gondola (a third but has smaller terrace) where you can meet up with your friends before getting the last bubble down.
Ardent has live music in the apres bar, so if thats your thing, then that's a good option. Really depends if you want to finish the day with a bus or a gondola or live music. I'd rather sit on a sunny terrace than stand in the shade waiting for a bus, but whatever floats your boat.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skiinghamster wrote:
Hello Snowheads! Its been a while... (like about 4 years!!)

I would like to pick the hive brains.

Due to a change in circumstances (= wrong passports!), Mr Hamster and I are looking at actually being able to go on some ski holidays this season rather than working most of the season.
One of the places we fancy trying for the first time is Morzine - we've never been and it looks like a great place to try. Hoping to go for a week, mid January.
We are both accomplished skiiers and plan to drive out with our own gear.

So, I'm looking for advice around:
- where in town to base ourselves? ideally once in resort we'd like to park the car and leave it where it is for the week.
- if anyone has recommendations for specific accommodation rather than general areas, that is also gratefully received... (a couple, one car, apartment or B&B basis preferred, will consider half board)
- are there ski garages near the lifts or will we have to walk through town in boots and take skis "home" every day?
- good places to go in the evenings? (tend to be early beer, food and bed before 10 people in order to get early lifts and ski until they close) (equally, places to avoid!)
- pistes that "just HAVE" to be ski'd
- local top-tips and tricks
etc etc

Thanks all,
Skiinghamster.

Thanks in advance

Hey - been to Morzine 3 times in recent years all in different accomodation. We were in Inferno first; its a bit basic accommodation-wise (our room had no toilet, only shower - shared toilet down the corridor). Also very isolated - as its up on the mountain. Not really possible to hit the town, but the location is great for skiing - the Nyon sector has some great runs and its super quiet in the morning - no queuing for lifts.
Second time I was in Hotel Tremplin, which is DIRECTLY below the Pleney gondola/run. We did B&B. Rooms were basic but clean and functional (and had own toilet as well as shower!). Bar gets quite good around 4pm and is a popular place for Apres. Lots of live music etc. We ate out most nights and you're right near the centre so no long walks to hit restaurants / bars.
Third time I was in a catered chalet just near the Tremplin.

Agree with most of what's posted here about Morzine vs. Avoriaz. Avoriaz is better skiing as its higher, but its also more crowded and the lift system seems to exacerbate the crowdi-ness.
If you do venture up to Avoriaz though, I would not do the Super Morzine lift. Get the free bus up to Les Prodains and get the Prodains gondola up. Its probably quicker, and much less frustrating than the slog across the green runs at the top of the SM. Come back via SM on the way home though - its OK in reverse.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@andy from embsay, @under a new name, Thanks for the replies, some insider knowledge is priceless, avoid some logistical catastrophes! Little Angel
You hear some horror stories - at Monte Rosa heard of people residing in Champoluc getting stuck in Alagna for example, £180 taxi ride back to resort! Crying or Very sad
snow report
@Klammertime, the big risk in PdS is getting stuck in Chatel or over in Switzerland. As long as you’re back in Avoriaz you can ski down to Prodains and get back to town, or if you’re in Lindarets you can ski to Ardent and get a bus up til about 1800. All the lifts in Chatel and CH have big signs saying what time the last lift back is.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 1-11-21 13:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Klammertime, The equivalent taxi ride horror story can happen if you miss the last lift back from Chatel into the Lindarets valley, TS de Rochassons or even worse miss the last back from Switzerland.
Missing the last lift from Les Gets is no problem as it's a 1€ or 1€50 bus ride back to Morzine.
snow report
@Timc, snap!!
snow report
Timc wrote:
Missing the last lift from Les Gets is no problem as it's a 1€ or 1€50 bus ride back to Morzine.

That’s a useful thing to know. (Not that I think we have ever missed the last lifts and don’t intend to start now…)
snow conditions
WindOfChange wrote:
@swskier, +1, Crot is in the shade quite a bit, and can be icy towards the bottom.
SM pistes (Zorre and Tetras) are in the sun and there are 2 nice bar / restos with big sunny terraces at the top of the SM gondola (a third but has smaller terrace) where you can meet up with your friends before getting the last bubble down.

This is my absolute must-do at least a couple of times each visit, and definitely makes the journey over from Avoriaz worth it. The Grenouille (sp?) place is awesome for a well-deserved beer in the afternoon sun.
ski holidays
Rois1980 wrote:
WindOfChange wrote:

This is my absolute must-do at least a couple of times each visit, and definitely makes the journey over from Avoriaz worth it. The Grenouille (sp?) place is awesome for a well-deserved beer in the afternoon sun.

Almost every day we were last there (Jan 20) we stopped at L'Passage before getting the Super M down. It's not got a huge terrace, but we liked it the first time we went in, and the lady working behind the bar was really friendly so we didn't bother trying any of the others round there.
snow report
swskier wrote:

Almost every day we were last there (Jan 20) we stopped at L'Passage before getting the Super M down. It's not got a huge terrace, but we liked it the first time we went in, and the lady working behind the bar was really friendly so we didn't bother trying any of the others round there.

That’s what my kids still call “the hot chocolate shed” from years ago.
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:

That’s what my kids still call “the hot chocolate shed” from years ago.

Mine (40+ now) always called it "the parachuting frog)
latest report
@andy from embsay, the hot chocolate shed is at the bottom of Chamoissiere - best choco rum around
snow report
Random question but may I ask when do people usually book lunch tables on the mountain for busy weeks? Is it silly to do it now?
snow report
They wont be open now. Wait until the season starts at the earliest but really a week or two in advance is fine.
ski holidays
Is the tap water in Morzine fine for drinking/putting in camelbaks etc or do people buy bottled? Handy to know for stocking up etc. thanks
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, thanks so much!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Klammertime, lol
snow report
@Klammertime, Morzine tap water is delicious. Why would it not be potable? Is this the 19th century?
snow report
Klammertime wrote:
Is the tap water in Morzine fine for drinking/putting in camelbaks etc or do people buy bottled? Handy to know for stocking up etc. thanks

The Morzine tap water is available worldwide, it is branded as Evian.
ski holidays
Its usually fine but they have had issues up on the mountain in the past but not in town. It’s quite hard water- I notice it when I wash my hair.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
Klammertime wrote:

I still think it's a risk to drink it straight from the tap though. You should either boil it (before adding to a cup with a tea bag in it) or ensure it's been treated in some way (adding sugar and yeast, and either drinking 'as is' or to be extra safe distilling the resulting liquid before drinking).
ski holidays
@Mjit,

Why?
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
Klammertime wrote:

What rjs says. Nip down to the Mairie in Morzine. If it’s like Chatel you’ll find a notice board with results of tests on the various water sources on it.
ski holidays
zzz wrote:
@Mjit,

Why?

Because then you have beer! Eh oh!
latest report
skiinghamster wrote:
zzz wrote:
@Mjit,

Why?

Because then you have made beer! Laughing
snow report
Also not Evian - different source but the marketing by association doesnt harm.
snow report
I believe that all of Morzine's water comes from a source in L'Erigne, 5km from town up the Vallee de la Manche.
ski holidays
skiinghamster wrote:
zzz wrote:
@Mjit,

Why?

Because then you have beer! Eh oh!

Or a nice cup of tea/shot of spirit.

I really didn't think I was being that subtle!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy