Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for Austria Skiing in November

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

My boyfriend and I are intermediate skiers from the U.S. who will be traveling to Munich for a wedding in November 2021. We are planning on staying for a bit of a holiday afterwards and would like to drive to go skiing for a few days in Austria, followed by a few days of sightseeing in Austria/Bavaria (Innsbruck or Salzburg are possible options). The dates of our trip are 17-29 November, and we will be in Munich from 17-22 November for the wedding. We are thinking the skiing portion of the trip will be from 22-25 November (midweek, first ski day would be the 23rd). Are there any resorts in particular you would recommend for us for this time frame?

We were looking at the different glacier ski resorts given it is early in the season. I have been to Germany and Austria before, though neither of us have ever skied in Europe, so any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. We have been skiing at various places on the East Coast in the U.S. and in Colorado and enjoy skiing anything from Green to (some) Black slopes at those ski areas. We are a little rusty as we sat last season out due to COVID-19 concerns but are excited to get back out there for a few days way earlier in the season than we could in the U.S.

Our priorities are: not crowded, good beginner/intermediate slopes, good ambiance/regional character, some ski-in/ski-out lodging options would be nice but are not required. I am still a bit COVID-19-wary so places that have good outdoor dining (I know that's not always possible given the weather but if it's nice out we would love to eat lunch/dinner outside) and apartment lodging options would be ideal. Apres ski isn't super important to us currently given COVID.

We are currently considering Hintertux, Solden, Pitztal, Kitzsteinhorn, Kitzbuhel (is it too early in the season for good skiing there?), Kauerntal, Obertauern (same concerns at Kitzbuhel), Stubai, etc.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated!

Thank you!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jlv24, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

For your dates I'd recommend Hintertux. I like the area for early season skiing (in fact I'll be there for a couple of days about a week after your skiing dates). I usually stay in the Hotel Jaeger in Lanersbach which is just a few km from the Hintertux base area. There's a frequent skibus service between Lanersbach and Hintertux, but as you said you'll be having a rental car you'll be using that no doubt. If you prefer an apartment to a hotel then I'd suggest you look at the local tourist office website: https://www.tux.at/en/

Good luck and hope you enjoy your trip wherever you stay. Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you can push the dayes back s little, Ischgl opens on the 25th Nov snd would be pretty ideal.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jlv24, the number of ski areas open in Austria in November will probably be limited to the glaciers, plus a very small number of places which are either high and snowsure (like Obergurgl), or they do something funky like storing snow over the summer and then spreading it out on a couple of pistes in October/November and spraying manmade snow over it just so they can claim to be "open" (like Kitzbuhel). If the early snow is spectacularly good, some places may open early for weekend skiing only, but I wouldn't base a trip on that hope.

As @Alastair Pink recommends, Hintertux (60Km of slopes) is probably your best bet and is easily reachable from Munich and Innsbruck. Other possibles would be Kaprun, Dachstein, Sölden, etc but they are further away and don't offer any advantages which would make them compelling.

If you are prepared to wait until the last minute, the other option might be Garmisch-Partenkirchen in southern Bavaria, where the Zugspitze area (20Km) plans to be open by then.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jlv24, before getting to skiing Covid bureaucracy is important. To access pretty much any sort of leisure activity (probably including skiing but certainly bars & restaurants) you will need to produce documentation that proves you comply with, what is known in the German speaking world as, 3G (vaccinated, recovered or tested). Given that you will be flying in from the US that means fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved in the EU (I guess that would mean all used in the US). The general way to do this is with a certificate with a QR code (normally on a phone app) which can potentially be scanned to check it is valid. This is an issue for people vaccinated in the US (or other non EU location) as they dont have the "correct" certificates. I believe that it is possible to get pharmacies in Germany to issue the relevant certificate but know not all are willing or knowledgeable to do so. Best go to one at the airport on arrival or one of the "International" pharmacies in the centre of Munich. You should then be able to upload this to one of the apps (ask in the pharmacy) which can then be used anywhere in the EU & Switzerland. Failure to sort this is likely to cause all sorts of grief and a miserable holiday.

In terms of skiing, not sure how good conditions will be, the forecast is very dry & mild for the next couple of weeks, better for hiking than skiing. You need to hope for a change in the weather by mid November. I avoid glacier skiing as it always seems limited and glaciers can be very bleak places, however if you are keen Hintertux probably is the best option but Stubai is OK too (both easy to get to from Innsbruck and access from Munich is straight forward)

Except in rare seasons its way too early for Kitzbühel (there is one run they open mid October with "farmed" snow from the previous season, but it is no more than a gimmick for the tourist office). Same with most other resorts.

If you can wait until 25th November, Ischgl is due to open. This is a non glacial area but high so even if they have to make snow there will be skiing short of storms shutting the lifts or seriously weird weather. Ischgl is a bit further from Munich but driveable in 3 to 4 hours.

In November ski in / ski out is not happening. Assuming it is not blizzards & storms eating out on the mountain at lunchtime would be possible (wrap up!) but doubt it will be a thing in the evenings though access to restaurants etc is controlled with the 3G thing so is pretty safe, certainly none of the issues we read about in the US.

Note if you go to Austria you will need FFP2 masks (believe known as N95 in US) including on enclosed lifts.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all for your feedback and advice! I appreciate it greatly.

What do all of you think of Solden? Or Obergurgl?

I've seen mixed reviews of Solden but wanted to get your opinions nevertheless. I see Obergurgl is starting winter operations on 18 November as well.

Solden's website is advertising that they're going to start winter operations (which I assume means lower mountain operations) on 18 November. I assume this means that the main gondolas and lifts will probably be open by the time I arrive even if there's only man-made snow on a limited number of lower mountain trails by then. I found accommodation that is on the Giggijoch trail and cable car boarding area so that may be a possibility for ski-in, ski-out if that trail is open by then. Not sure which trails usually open first there and if it's worth hoping that trail and cable car are open by then. Obergurgl is on the same super ski pass as Solden as well (not sure if an alternative to a glacier would be needed if the weather is poor while I'm there). It looks like it's a 3 hour drive from Munich, versus Hintertux's 2 hour 15 min drive, so not too much further. I was initially thinking of going to Hintertux when I started considering glacier ski areas since there are multiple hotels located near the gondolas that lead to the glacier. Maybe with the winter skiing operations running at Solden but not at Hintertux in late November, Solden may be a better option? That being said, if all of you think Solden lacks alpine ambiance then we will probably go elsewhere.

Also, @munich_irish I appreciate the COVID-19 related advice. I have a question for you as I hadn't considered Ischgl previously. Being relatively unfamiliar with Ischgl, why would you recommend Ischgl other than its snow surety over other resorts?
I believe the CDC vaccination card has been accepted in most places as valid (one of my colleagues traveled around Italy in September just fine with it) but was going to try to get the EU digital vaccination certificate with the QR code as well just to make things easier. I am also planning on stocking up on FFP2 masks upon arriving in Munich so I have the proper type of mask. I've been more COVID-cautious than most because I've had to report COVID-19 cases as part of my job...but luckily the rules are much more sensible in Europe than in much of the U.S. (though vaccination requirements to dine inside restaurants and attend events are becoming popular in major U.S. cities) and skiing is an outdoors activity. Just personally am not yet ready to go to a crowded restaurant or bar. Gave a lot of thought before deciding to travel from the U.S. to attend this wedding, but now that I have decided to go, I am getting excited to go to it, and to go skiing and to see some Christmas markets. Smile

@ousekjarr I was initially considering spending a day or two to go skiing at Zugspitze before I started thinking about going to a larger ski resort in Austria for a slightly longer time frame. Do you think the snow at Zugspitze would be decent enough in November? I see they open for the season on 18 November. I wasn't sure if there would be enough trails open that early in the season, especially given it seems to be a somewhat small ski area to begin with. We want to go skiing for at least two days (one day needed to get the hang of it again after such a long break, day two to feel like I really have skied), will there be enough there to entertain us for two days? Or will we have left thinking we should have gone to a "real" ski resort further afield?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jlv24 wrote:
Maybe with the winter skiing operations running at Solden but not at Hintertux in late November, Solden may be a better option?

I don't know why you think winter skiing at Hintertux won't be operating in late November, Hintertux is open 364 days a year. Obviously the skiing in the middle of Summer is limited to the highest runs, but in late November the ski area should be much more extensive.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zugspitze is fairly limited - whether it is enough for you is hard to say. For me it would be too small, but for others it would be more than enough…
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jlv24, Obergurgl would work too, though it is not the biggest or most difficult area, it is high. There is not much to do outside of the hotels but I guess that might suit. Sölden has some glacier skiing so possibly that is what is planned to open, I know they often have an early season ski race there (Obergurgl & Sölden share the same lift pass, there is a shuttle bus link). Not been in winter so cant comment. Ischgl is a pretty big area, I loath the "village" because of the people who own it and the atmosphere that permeates the place however for early or late season skiing it is well ahead of the competition in the variety of skiing on offer. The Zugspitze area is pretty small at the best of times only really enough for a day trip.

The requirement for having a "green pass" is becoming more important. I too was in Italy during the summer and we were not asked at all for our passes but things there have changed since, you need one simply to go to work now. Here in Germany there appears to be less checking, in my village no one bothers but in the centre of town some places are quite strict. In Austria there seems to be more enforcement and apparently some places are scanning the codes so your CDC passes might not be accepted. No FFP2 masks in Germany only Austria though you should be able to buy them here in supermarkets.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sölden is where I normally go from Munich for a couple of days riding. I'll bag Ishgl as well if I've longer out there. I drive over the Fernpass. Watch out for Austrian speed traps just on the border. The standard route to Sölden doesn't use toll roads if you use that pass. The Cafe just on the German side of the summit has edible food. It's easy to get to and the glaciers are big and varied, by glacier standards. The slope-side food on the glaciers is stodge, but no worse that US ski resort food. There's a little first floor (UK metrics) cafe at the base of the Rettenbach which has the best coffee/ cakes there, but the cafes in the village down below are all much closer to Austrian standard. You drive past Garmish on the way; I've never felt the urge to stop although it's a nice little town with some decent cafes.

Quote:
on 18 November. I assume this means that the main gondolas and lifts will probably be open by the time
I arrive even if there's only man-made snow on a limited number of lower mountain trails by then.
Well in May the lower stuff is all green fields. Usually you'll be on the two glaciers, and there's a pair of big car parks up there for summer skiing etc. The Rettenbach has I think the steepest pisted glacier run on it which is easy but a hoot, and there's "the fridge" across the other side which provides much amusement with gentle bumps. Through the tunnel on the Tiefenbach it side feels more spacious. Unfit skiers won't ride either side top to bottom without stopping. Those are super-wide easy slopes with amusing small bump features. Obviously if you get a dump then there's a lot of surface area so you can expect (at season's end at least) a full day of fresh tracks if you're prepared to search for it. No trees, so if the vis is bad you're working for it, although it's rare in May at least. The Rettenbach main lift is a gondola and quick. Mostly they're demountable chairs. The Fridge and a few other places have T-bars. Pistes are generally super-wide: it's a glacier.

That lot will definitely be working if they're open. You may or may not find any of the lower stuff open. They do have snow making on the main routes.

Quote:
I found accommodation that is on the Giggijoch trail and cable car boarding area so that may be a possibility for ski-in, ski-out if that trail is open by then.
It's all fairly close. In May that runs over green meadows, and it's quicker to rode the bus up to the glacier. When it's open I think it's because the stuff from the mid-station up there upwards is open, or at least that's been the case when I was there. If it's running, I'd use it.

I've not ridden Hintertux as my EU snowboarding mates use Sölden and I go there because it usually closes last of the mainland EU places.

Quote:
That being said, if all of you think Solden lacks alpine ambiance then we will probably go elsewhere.
I've heard that. I think it's because it has the main road going through it, so it's not as funky as Vent for example. But it's still massively alpine by every other standard - you know, green fields with cows, chocolate box hotels, the whole deal. There's no need to get involved in the main road much at all, really, and the other side of the river feels much quieter. The Hotel Central is excellent with a good spa, although I like the VAYA more... it has an excellent spa but no pool, although their rooms are really good. Village-ambience-wise, well google maps street view will probably help understand the ambience a bit. There's an excellent municipal pool too: if you stay in a guest house (which are all very Austrian) then you get free or discount access to it.

Oh, I have a very old video from in Sölden in May 2014. Covid sent me to Iceland this season, the season before we were locked down, so it's three seasons since I've been there.
https://vimeo.com/94756838

These are the glacier slopes as described: in May 2014 that was all we had, but it's plenty for a couple of days.
I don't know if there's Mexican food in Sölden but I'm sure it'll suck. Stick to the local stuff.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink wrote:
jlv24 wrote:
Maybe with the winter skiing operations running at Solden but not at Hintertux in late November, Solden may be a better option?

I don't know why you think winter skiing at Hintertux won't be operating in late November, Hintertux is open 364 days a year. Obviously the skiing in the middle of Summer is limited to the highest runs, but in late November the ski area should be much more extensive.

Maybe this is part of my misunderstanding coming from the U.S. where we don't have glacier skiing, but it seems like at Hintertux/Zillertal 3000 only the glacier skiing area is open there in late November. If I wanted to ski for a day not on a glacier at one of the nearby resorts in the Zillertal 3000 resort region, that would not be possible until December. So, if there's a bad weather day with low visibility above the tree line, there aren't really any other alternative options for skiing that aren't on the glacier. Not sure if this is something I should be concerned about. I'm not sure what the weather is generally like in the mountains in late November. I have been in Colorado where I had to stop skiing because it was too snowy, windy, and cold (was -12C with 15 miles/hour winds that day). Skiing below the tree line definitely helped keep us going for a few hours before we gave up. Not sure if this is at all likely weather in Austria in November (not sure how often storms come or how windy it can get on the glacier skiing areas). Is this something I shouldn't worry about too much regarding Hintertux?

With Solden it seems a little bit of below tree line skiing will be opening there with the start of their winter (non-glacial) operations on 18 November and at Obergurgl if needed, that's why I brought those places up for discussion.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The tree line is way lower than you'd expect in North America. If the visibility is bad you're going to be struggling, although I've only had maybe 1 such day in about a dozen trips to Sölden, but it's a risk I think you can't sensibly mitigate in November. Seriously, I've ridden to the mid station in May, but not encountered any trees. It's "all Alpine" as the Canadians would say, up there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its Hintertux or Stubai for me.
But thinking about it Kaprun is probably better.

Kaprun is a small village well connected to the glacier, there is one bar in the middle of the town so you dont have to fuss over where to go, as everyone is there.

You wont get ski in ski out on glaciers. Or I dont think so.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another bar at the bottom of the lift to the glacier, and a large nightclub on the outskirts. Theres a line of small bars/nightclubs/ahem as well. There'll be loads of people training in November, so there will be things going on. NB the funiculair disaster happened on 11th November, so you will hear sirens going off (its not for armistice day)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would recommend that you spend your few free days in Europe in November doing something other than skiing. You are going to be there before most European ski areas are even open. There is a reason for that, and it's called weather. I just worry that you will get an unreasonably negative impression of skiing in the Alps because you are doing it at the wrong time.

It sounds like your experience with travel to Europe is limited, so there are tons of other fun things you could do during this visit and save the skiing for a year when you can do at least a full week and go during what is likely to be prime time. You will be over there at a time of the year when tourism is muted. I would take advantage of that to do cities, rather than mountains, on this trip.
snow conditions
mr. mike wrote:
I would recommend that you spend your few free days in Europe in November doing something other than skiing. You are going to be there before most European ski areas are even open. There is a reason for that, and it's called weather. I just worry that you will get an unreasonably negative impression of skiing in the Alps because you are doing it at the wrong time.

It sounds like your experience with travel to Europe is limited, so there are tons of other fun things you could do during this visit and save the skiing for a year when you can do at least a full week and go during what is likely to be prime time. You will be over there at a time of the year when tourism is muted. I would take advantage of that to do cities, rather than mountains, on this trip.

I appreciate your perspective, however, I want to ski on this trip. A bad day skiing beats a good day doing almost anything else. I do not have incredibly high standards for ski conditions given that I currently live in the mid-Atlantic (where the climate can be characterized as "barely skiable"). I have skied in ankle high slush and on what amounted to basically a sheet of ice after an ice storm in Vermont. I have also skied in fresh powder but am not expecting fresh powder on this trip. This will be my third trip to Munich, my fourth trip to Germany more generally, and my second trip to Austria. I haven't been skiing in Europe before, which is why I sought out the advice of Brits who ski in Europe quite often. I will have some time before and after skiing for other activities, but would prefer to get out of the city and into nature for a bit on this trip.

I currently have things narrowed down to Hintertux and Solden and appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback!
ski holidays
jlv24 wrote:
A bad day skiing beats a good day doing almost anything else.

Spoken like a true snowHead! Laughing

jlv24 wrote:

I currently have things narrowed down to Hintertux and Solden and appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback!

I've not been to Solden so I can't comment on it. Good luck wherever you decide to go. snowHead
latest report
I guess to make plans & not overcomplicate it, then you are looking at a glacier. So no in/out ski
So Kaprun, Tux & Stubai
Kaprun is close to Zell am See and you could probably squeeze in Salzburg en-route
Hinterux would let you take in Kitzbuehl for a walkabout & you could probably squeeze in Innsbruck or Salzburg.
Stuabi - you could actually stay in Innsbruck & get the bus daily (takes an hour or so).
1st day of xmas markets is 25th Nov (& would be the same for Zell, Salz., munich, etc.)
If you get back to Munich for the 25th, then you might catch the Krampus parade (but not 100% sure on dates, but usually one in late Nov)
As mentioned, there is always the german resort Garmisch-part. & you could also visit Neuschwanstein Castle as part of the detour!
latest report
Usually end of November all the Glaciers are open less or more.
Furthermore you have to be more precise :
how good can you skiing? do you want blue wide slopes? something more difficult?
mid week will be not so full everywhere you go, so you could (theoretically) choose where you want and enjoy.
Will you rent a car?
However there is almost one month till 22 Nov.
Meaning : there is possible that Kaprun become 1m snow and the other glaciers in Tirol only 10 cm , or vice versa
Check up the weather / snow conditions around 15 Nov. and decide where is better to go according to the snow conditions
I have been to all the Glaciers so if you want my opinion :

Kaprun - i dont like it so much. Too many lifts in a relative small area , and usually is full. Except that as i know the Gondel from the middle of the village will open from December (the 3 K connection)

Hintertux - i think the biggest, usually more people as the other in Tirol (except Stubai) there are some really nice runs, and some of them difficult. Plus if you find a hotel in Hintertux and you have ski in ski out

Stubai - also usually relative full . Many blue slopes, not someting super difficult (forget something like black diamond) . Plus it is 40 min from Innsbruck. You can combine this too.

Sölden - i dont know if you can have in this time Ski in ski out. If Gigijoch area is open then yes. Not so full als the others, the slopes are wide and relative easy. Good for carving. Negatives : if Gigijoch is not open you have to drive to 2.900 m (or with the bus)

Pitztal - my favorite. Not so big, not so full, there is the highest cafe in Austria , there is a nice black slope, a couple of blue, and thats all. There are some nice hotels at the bottom, so ski in ski out is possible. A big , really big - : the train you have to take from 1.600 to 2.700 m. Sometimes you have to wait over 30 min (but weekdays is really rare).

Kaunertal - my favorite no2 . Really scenic, at the boarder with italy. Most blue slopes, but there is also the steepest slope in AUT (at least thats they are saying). I love this place, is usually empty, no waiting etc BECAUSE getting there is a pain in the aXXX...this road is the best way to see on your clothes what you had for breakfast.

Forget Zugspitze.

You want to go in the mid Week. Search a couple hotels, in Sölden, Hintertux, Pitzal or Stubai. Send an Email for an offer, and then wait a little bit, look where ist the most snow and how will be in the days you will be there, and make your reservation 10days earlier
snow report
jlv24 wrote:
Thank you all for your feedback and advice! I appreciate it greatly.

What do all of you think of Solden? Or Obergurgl?

I've seen mixed reviews of Solden but wanted to get your opinions nevertheless. I see Obergurgl is starting winter operations on 18 November as well.

Solden's glaciers have been open for a few weeks, plus now one non glacier run. The glaciers are rather easy and a little dull.

They are making snow in Obergurgl, but don't seem to be doing on lower Solden runs yet (Obergurgl is 500m or so higher at the village); it's a fair drive from Munich though, but will be proper non-glacier skiing. I'm hoping to be there (Covid permitting) in December

No to Kitz - they will have one short red run at Pass Thurn with a slow lift back. Snow stored over the summer. There may be another short run at the top of the Hahnenkamm, miles away from Pass Thurn
snow report
My take on Solden - is that the skiing is generally very good on the main slopes (though glaciers aren't worth the lift ride if you can't drive up there - FIVE lifts to get there, with just one blue run to break the monotony). Also I really don't like the look of the village much - seems rather tacky and not typically Alpine. (Mayhofen has managed to maintain much more class for a place with a similar "lively" reputation). Obergurgl is much more pleasant, but VERY quiet... so some would say dull. You can of course ski both off the same pass, but I think it has to be a 3+ day pass. Skiing is generally pretty easy in Obergurgl, no really true blacks.

Your dates are probably too early for anything other than glacier resorts, Obergurgl and maybe the Arlberg?
snow conditions
Thank you everyone for your advice and for the fun video of Solden! After discussing with my boyfriend, I think we may go to Hintertux. His initial preference was to stay at one of the hotels within walking distance of the glacier lift, but then looked at the price of those hotels... We probably will stay somewhere a little further away like Lanersbach like @Alastair Pink says he will be doing.

We are going to try to book something with a good cancellation policy to allow for flexibility if the snow ends up being much better at one of the other resorts, but would like to make sure we have something lined up now in case we get too busy trying to wrap things up with work around 15 November (right before we fly out) to make any reservations/changes to our plans then.
ski holidays
I doubt that the snow will be better elsewhere. The most likely - only? - non glacier resort likely to be fully or near fully open is Obergurgl.
latest report
I have one more question for all of you, thank you for all of the thoughts and advice you have provided thus far.

If we would like to go tobogganing/sledding and cross country skiing/Nordic skiing, will that not be an option near Hintertux in November due to lack of snow off the glacier? Would there be a greater possibility to do that at one of the other ski areas? I am not sure if this is anything any of you have any knowledge about, a lot of the websites I found do not really list the dates during which tobogganing or cross country skiing is available. I assume that is because they open when they have snow, which isn’t really something they can predict way in advance.

I am considering combining Hintertux with a few days in Innsbruck and Seefeld (where they open for cross country skiing on 18 November with the help of snowmaking and farmed snow) before returning to Munich. If they have all of these activities available in November near one of the ski areas, that would greatly inform our plans.
latest report
There is a toboggan run at Obergurgl- not that long. Follows the red from HochGurgl down to Untergurgl. Small amount of cross country too but says from December. You are looking to do rather a lot in 3 days. https://www.gurgl.com/winter/winteractivities/cross-country-skiing.html
snow report
Cross country skiing is usually on valley floors so unlikely in most resorts in November. Obergurgl valley is 1800m to 1900m so if it’ll happen anywhere it’ll happen there.
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
There is a toboggan run at Obergurgl- not that long. Follows the red from HochGurgl down to Untergurgl. Small amount of cross country too but says from December. You are looking to do rather a lot in 3 days. https://www.gurgl.com/winter/winteractivities/cross-country-skiing.html

We would probably stay longer than three days if these activities are available at one of the resorts. Our only real time limit is our flight out of Munich on 29 November.
snow conditions
I too think you are being very optimistic about what might be possible. Anytime pre Christmas is very early season, November is the province of either very keen locals or race clubs etc wanting to train. There are occasional years with heavy snowfall by mid November (this year doesnt look like being one) but mostly "proper" snow arrives in December. I can see that Seefeld and a few other places might open a few cross country trails (need less snow than alpine), but again I suspect mostly for race training. Also bear in mind that local folk mostly dont go skiing before Christmas, even in great conditions, there are other things to do like Advent markets. I think you would be better off leaving making firm plans to nearer the time when you can get a better idea of what conditions will be like. You might be lucky and the forecast will change and the snow comes down (the longer term forecast is for a cold winter) but it might be it is still hiking weather. There will be no problem getting accommodation, even at the last moment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good to know, I'm just pretty excited to get the chance to get in some "bonus skiing" that we wouldn't be able to do normally in November. They don't have cross country skiing anywhere within a few hours of where I live (even at the places near me that offer downhill skiing they don't offer cross country skiing as there's usually no snow off piste during most of the winter). Even the possibility of being able to go cross country skiing at all on this trip is exciting to me. I like cross country skiing slightly better than I like downhill skiing (and I really love doing both), but there's hardly anywhere less than a 6 hour drive from me where I can go to do it so it is really a "special occasion" activity for me. And, if it's not cold enough and cross country skiing doesn't happen to be available yet, I would be up for going on a hike or doing some general sightseeing instead.

Just was trying to get a sense for what may/may not be available at the different resorts in November.

My friend who lives in Austria told me it might be too cold/rainy/snowy/gloomy for hiking then, but if it happens to be warmer out and we have some free time, then we would be up for going on a hike. I know it's a transitional time of year. And I know we won't have time to do every single thing we want to do, and that's okay. Just was trying to get a sense for what is possible. I'm going to book accommodation sooner as I just don't want to leave things until the last minute and then run out of time and forget to book something when it does come time to do so but am going to try to get something that I can cancel just in case we want to amend our plans. The last few days before departing on a big trip are always a bit hectic, and I have some free time now to consider the different options and book something. I appreciate all of the advice from everyone, it sounds like Hintertux or Obergurgl are the best options.

Thank you for all of the advice regarding skiing in Austria!!! If anyone has any recommendations for restaurants or anything else, I'd be happy to take them.

I'm excited for SKI SEASON and am also excited to go somewhere not owned by Vail Resorts Very Happy
latest report
Your best bet for a chance to do a bit of everything possibly is Obergurgl simply because of height. Solden is 20mins bus journey from it. Even then I’m doubtful about any cross country skiing. Obergurgl hotels are expensive though.
snow conditions
the only glacier tha MIGHT have something for cross country is Dachstein. But if so, it will be only for race teams.
I think you have to forget it. However if you have luck, MAYBE you could do something in SEefeld.
Seefeld is no1 in AUT for Cross country. I think at 2015 was really cold, and sometime during last week of November they have opened a trail for the publikum
ski holidays
Thank you everyone for your advice.

My boyfriend liked the sound of Hintertux the most so we are going with that. We booked a few nights at an apartment owned by Hotel Bergfried in Tux. Will let you know how it goes!

Haven’t decided on the rest of the trip yet, will either go to Salzburg or Innsbruck (with a possible side excursion to Seefeld for their Christmas market and cross country skiing). I went to Salzburg in 2016 so we’re debating whether to go to Innsbruck since it would be new to both of us (and closer to Hintertux) or to Salzburg since my boyfriend seems to be drawn more to it than Innsbruck. In doing some research, Stubai, Pitztal, and Kaprun all offer small cross country skiing areas on their glaciers in case anyone is curious. But, the BF liked Hintertux the most so that is where we will be going.
snow report
jlv24 wrote:
mr. mike wrote:

I appreciate your perspective, however, I want to ski on this trip. A bad day skiing beats a good day doing almost anything else.

Welcome to Snowheads!

Fantastic! That's what we like to hear! You have very much the same outlook as lots of us on here Very Happy

I would definitely recommend a twin centre glacier trip so agree that you are on the right lines there.

However, as much as I love Solden, I would combine a Hintertux trip with Stubai Glacier, near Innsbruck. While Solden and Stubai glaciers both offer great skiing I would very much recommend the ambiance of Neustift (Im Stubaital) as a base, as opposed to Solden. Neustift is a beautiful Austrian village, which outweighs Solden in my opinion. There's nothing wrong with Solden per se, but it's not a patch on Neustift for pure Austrian authenticity and charm.

You could also combine Stubai with an Innsbruck visit, as Neustift is only 30km away. Then the glacier is about a 20 minute drive further up the valley from Neustift.

Regarding the weather... mountains are mountains and you can have good or bad weather every month of the year, as no doubt you know. Over the years we've skied European glaciers every month of the year - and had variable weather every month of the year. I certainly wouldn't forego a glacier trip through fear of bad weather - though, your earlier comments suggest that wouldn't be the case anyway wink .

Have fun planning your trip and remember to let us know what you decide. And please also remember to let us have a trip report.
snow conditions
Hi everyone! Just wanted to give all of you an update that due to the COVID-19 situation in Austria I decided to rework my trip plans. Will go skiing in Austria some other time when the situation is more stable! Just seemed too risky with the massive growth in cases there over the past few weeks. I appreciate everyone's advice and will keep this information saved for later. The hotel that owns the apartment I had reserved was more than accommodating in letting me cancel.
latest report
That's a shame jlv24 Confused We're just back from a fantastic week at Stubai, Hintertux and Pitzal. Conditions were absolutely excellent for the time of year. See my report and pics under 'Trip Reports.'

The covid checks and measures in place in Austria were very reassuring. It actually felt a lot safer than the current, maskless free for all in England rolling eyes

We're going back to Austria in mid December Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy