Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ste Foy @NewYear vs Arc1800/Reberty2000 @Easter

Poster: A snowHead
After 15 years away from the slopes we are looking to organise our first family ski trip, with our 2 daughters.

After searching I think I’ve found suitable accommodation, in budget
either in sainte foy for new year
or in either les arc 1800 or Reberty 2000 during Easter holidays.

I was wondering what the pros and cons are for each resort at those times of year.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sainte Foy is small , cosy and pretty . The skiing of is top quality but limited compared to the other two which are purpose built stations within huge areas . I see that you have not been skiing for 15 years and presume that you and your children are not experts or maybe beginners . If that’s the case I would suspect Ste Foy would be perfect if however you are seasoned skiers you will find Ste Foy too limited and my choice of the other two that I have both skied and stayed at would be Les Arcs 1800m which I would also pick over Arc 2000 if given the choice .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As @Rob Mackley, Sainte Foy is absolutely perfect for introducing family/children to skiing if they've not been before or very low experience. You don't say the requirements there so just guessing.

Very friendly, relaxed and certainly more intimate village get everyone going and enjoying their skiing. It's so easy to use with exemplary access onto the snow being a fairly small village area. From green/nursery pistes right up to much more seriously challenging runs.

Really like Arc 1800 too as it's so well located for no fuss direct piste access, obviously quite a contrast to SF but very good for families. Our two teenagers love both of these two if that's the age you're also accommodating.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the reply Rob.

Yes the children are indeed beginners. My skiing will be pretty ropey after 15 years, i'm sure! Confused My husband skied quite a bit when he was younger. But as this trip is more aimed at getting the girls on the snow for the first time, I don't think he'll need as much of a larger ski area.

The children will be in ski school in the morning, and then we'll be looking to spend time altogether in the afternoon. Whether that's back at the apartment, or with them back in the beginners area on the slopes.

Also how is ste foy at easter?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With Easter being April 17th next season - towards the late side - I would choose the New Year week. However, New Yew is possibly the busiest week of the year, whereas Easter would be very quiet.

Though I ski in Les Arcs quite late into April, the snow can be difficult for less expeinced skiers being rock hard in the mornings and deep slush in the afternoon and with frequent plaque de terre.

If you can cope with the crowds I would go to st Foy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Katski78, Sainte Foy would be perfect for you in that case I really mean that and the ESF is top class , Easter is nice but the beginner slopes can get a bit slushy in the afternoon and with longer days won’t have that winter feel that you might looking for . On NYE there is a big firework display in front of the snow front for all . I think you would love new year in Ste Foy . I do .

Ps don’t hang around and book the lessons , mornings go quickly
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Katski78,

Look at the station website https://www.saintefoy-tarentaise.com/en/ it really gives you a great feel for the place
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In your position I would go to Sainte Foy in the school Easter holidays if you can do w/c April 2nd. L'etoile des cimes is good value accommodation - Peak Retreats offer self drive packages to it if you are looking for a TO. If you are looking at the week after I'd go to Arc 2000 (rather than 1800). La Cime des Arcs is a good residence in Arc 2000. We booked it through Ski collection.

Sainte Foy is a smaller resort but beautiful with runs that are ideally suited to beginners and less confident skiers. It also tends to attract families so you are less likely to be skied into by an out of control skiier. Les Arcs is a great resort and much bigger but it gets very busy at Christmas and New Year. It is worth considering for the second week of Easter as it is likely to still have good snow on the higher slopes then and will not be as busy as it is earlier in the season.

New Year will be busier and more expensive than Easter and the snow conditions at Easter are likely to be more favourable for beginners.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone for the info Very Happy

@snowymum thanks for the accommodation recommendations. We were looking at l'etoile de cimes apartments.
I'll have a look into the arc 2000 ones.

Does anyone have any info on Reberty 2000 (in les menuires) ? That was the other area we were interested in!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Katski78, Though Les Menuires is high and perfectly suitable for less experienced skiers its aspect means that come late April it really does become a sun drenched shushfest. I recall skiing though it with water almost coming over my ski boots.

Yes, look at Arc 2000 for Easter rather than 1800. The extra 400m altitude makes a significant difference (Arc 1800 is at 1700m and Arc 2000, 2100m) I think it is better set up for beginners anyway.

Don't get me wrong I really love very late season skiing. Knowing the resort and being able to chase spring snow around gives some wonderful skiing. However, I did learn to ski in April and the conditions scared half of my class off within 2 days. The prospect of coming across a 4m length of blue ice does tend to frighten some people and ploughing through shin deep slush can be rather tiring.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
St Foy - 100%.
1 - Its a nice village not a collection of purpose built carbuncles.
2 - New Year is cold, so more consistent learning conditions vs Freeze <-> Thaw.
3 - If they enjoy skiing / boarding SO much, you might magically find enough loose change down the back of the sofa for an easter trip as well Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Katski78, I’d say Reberty 2000 is one of the more attractive bases in the Les Menuires sector. That’s not saying much though!

However, I think Easter would be a much better time for your needs than New Year. Quieter, warmer, longer daylight.

It’s true that in April the beginner friendly south facing Les Menuires slopes are likely to go through the full freeze/thaw cycle each day. But doesn’t that lend itself to learning different skills and techniques to deal with that?

Bear in mind also that it’s in the same valley as high altitude Val Thorens. Snow conditions usually hold up very well there in April. That’s why snowHeads have a Family Bash and End of Season Bash there then.

Overall, Reberty 2000 far less attractive a village than St Foy. A lot more infrastructure and ski area. More snowsure late season.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wind of change…..+1

SF all the way

Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Reberty is a mint base, but bang into the sun. Fine if you can ski elsewhere, less easy for beginners ro travel, and horrendous to learn in knee deep slop
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Katski78, since no one else has mentioned it yet, have you considered the Family Bash? Val Thorens, 9-16 April 2022. It may not be the absolute cheapest way to ski as a family (though the price is good and the apartments are very nice so it's great value), but if your budget covers this it would be a very easy way to get back into skiing with your family.

The snow is likely to be as good as anywhere in the Alps at Easter. It's probably not as pretty as Ste Foy though.
ski holidays
Ste foy is a perfect resort for what you want., though new year will not be cheap. As above, if they love it then the family bash would be a very good option for a second trip - or a first trip if finances are important as it would likely be cheaper than new year
snow report
@Katski78, I normally ski big resorts such as The Three Valleys. But one year, a family I know invited me to join them in Ste Foy for a week, and so because they are fun, I said yes.

I took a look at the piste map, and was not expecting anything special, but it turn-out to be one of my best ski holidays ever! The snow and weather was perfect, and there are some really good reds and blacks, plus lots of easy blues. And importantly, all the runs end-up back in the village, so no-one gets lost. It was also not too busy, mainly because I don't think there is a huge amount of accommodation. Plus, the restaurants on the slopes an in the village were wonderful.

So like others have said here, Ste Foy is perfect for a family.

Have fun! snowHead
ski holidays
Very Happy Brilliant, thanks everyone for all the info and advice! Really appreciate it! Eh oh!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy