Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Allalinhorn ski tour in November

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone toured up here early season?
https://www.sac-cas.ch/en/huts-and-tours/sac-route-portal/allalinhorn-7755/alpinism/

Seems to be a heavily frequented route but are crevasses with weak snow bridges a problem in November?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes.

But they are problem at any time of the year, potentially. If you are on a "live" glacier you need the right gear and expertise to be safe. A guide will be able to help you.

If I were to tour the Allalinhorn (which I wouldn't as there are better things to do in November) I possibly wouldn't rope up for the climb as the most heavily crevassed area can be avoided but I would wear a harness and short rescue loop but it is a risk, I would certainly carry all the gear in case. Ice would also be a danger, especially early season.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 20-10-21 8:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've not toured there but I was up there is summer 2019. I'd say it is reasonably high risk from a crevasse POV. Strahlhorn might be a better option on that front. Access a little longer though
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, been up in summer a few times (one time a really nice traverse from the Alphubel, though doubt there is enough snow these days). Assuming you mean to go from the funicular station (as opposed from the Britannia hut) it is no more than an easy plod. In summer there are constant long lines of roped tourists being dragged up by the local guides. Consequently there is a well beaten track with the odd obvious crevasse, I felt safe enough to do it on my own. The track did seem to be somewhat menaced by snow masses from under the summit and there was various old avalanche debris in places. The view from the Feejoch was one of the best I have seen.

No idea what the state of the glacier is now and especially at this time of year, there are bashed pistes on the Fee glacier but they dont really cover any of the route up to the summit. Not sure I would risk it without more local knowledge.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the beta. Looking for a high altitude aerobic workout to bed in new touring gear pre a late November touring trip. Not enough snow here yet. Any other better route recommendations?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Breithorn would be a better bet for you.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tempting, only done it in August
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH wrote:
Thanks for the beta. Looking for a high altitude aerobic workout to bed in new touring gear pre a late November touring trip. Not enough snow here yet. Any other better route recommendations?

As davidof says - the breithorn is a good bet, though its quite (very) short vert gain from kleine matterhorn (guess you could always start lower if feeling masochistic...) - last time I was working Zmatt in November ( a few years back) the Italian ski rando race team were up training throwing laps up and down the Breithorn at ridiculous speed! One or two other things to potter about on on skins round the lift system there, but I know of at least 1 person who had a very close call with a slot off the side of the 6 man chair a bit lower down a few autumns ago...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobinCH, I don't think you need to bother about High Altitude training especially as you're going to Siberia.

Just make do with the bike and hiking steeps, and run around inside with your new skis on Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How fast are Siberian bears anyway?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shirley this should be in off piste.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam wrote:
run around inside with your new skis on Laughing

Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
offpisteskiing wrote:
One or two other things to potter about on on skins round the lift system there, but I know of at least 1 person who had a very close call with a slot off the side of the 6 man chair a bit lower down a few autumns ago...

I can imagine, it is pretty thin at the moment around that area.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Breithorn plan B. Thanks!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not sure : Breithorn from the lift is like 380m climb if the snow is good. If not it‘s leave the skis approx. half way.
latest report
BobinCH wrote:

Breithorn is the obvious suggestion ... Though might end up a walk on crampons rather than a skin. Or Aiguille du midi to Hellbroner?
Though both of those very weather & conditions dependent.

If you just want to shuffle about on some new touring kit to check it works then somewhere like Glacier3000 / Les Diablarets could be ideal in early November. Always been stupidly quiet when I have been there (though never in November). Could probably ski down the Combe d'Audon and skin back up?
snow conditions
I wouldn't have suggested the Breithorn if it wasn't feasible on skis at the moment. Obviously.
snow report

I've only tried it once in Jan 2016 and didn't make it. The snow/ice surface conditions defeated me, as it was too hard for ski crampons, yet when we switched to boot crampons we punched through knee deep. It was best described has trying to ski/walk on creme brulee Shocked

There were plenty of crevases in Jan, so there would be many more in Nov/Dec. Picture take about halfway up from the top lift to the peak. Any early season glacier touring is going to be 'interesting' Very Happy
snow conditions
@BobinCH, I could PM you details of a guide I know, actually met him in Siberia when he was on hols with his OH, and he lives in your part of the world and you could ask him sort a trip out where he thinks would offer best conditions etc
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
I wouldn't have suggested the Breithorn if it wasn't feasible on skis at the moment. Obviously.

When I went up Breithorn in March 2019 we were looking forward to great snow conditions. The weekend before we went winds of up to 122 km/h stripped a lot of the snow off and left blue ice. Most of the climb up was with boot crampons and there wasn't much of a ski down. Not sure how the snowpack and wind conditions are up there at the moment though, that's all I was saying.
ski holidays
DB wrote:

When I went up Breithorn in March 2019 we were looking forward to great snow conditions.

I wasn't criticising your post. Just saying I'd checked the conditions and the rimaye is bridged - but conditions can change on a daily basis so who knows in early November? There should be some fresh snow or it could be wind scoured. As least there are the pistes to use if all else fails.
latest report
Rather than the Breithorn couldn't you also consider the Grenz Glacier ?

We climbed it from the Italian side up to 4,500 then skied down Zermatt, but presume no lifts to help you unlike the Breithorn, but you might be able to drive a fair way?

Naaaahhhh just checked the map and no trails so would be a long hike and the Bétemps hutte at 2,800 is probably closed.

This is why a guide would know the best logistics.

All I know I was well fecked at that altitude Shocked

And @BobinCH, that was when I met a Brit team from Verbier at the hut the night before, and one of them was in a hell of a state getting to the Rifugio Gnifetti at 3,600m.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2277085462

snow conditions
DB wrote:
davidof wrote:

When I went up Breithorn in March 2019 we were looking forward to great snow conditions. The weekend before we went winds of up to 122 km/h stripped a lot of the snow off and left blue ice. Most of the climb up was with boot crampons and there wasn't much of a ski down. Not sure how the snowpack and wind conditions are up there at the moment though, that's all I was saying.

The wind blew like crazy (from SW) last night and not much fresh so suspect all options will be scoured or wind crust/loading
ski holidays
Skied worse…

http://youtube.com/v/g3X3MDpjW-g
snow report
Nice Cool
snow conditions
DB wrote:
Nice Cool

Beautiful day for it

Alas sketchy approach and breaking trail through it on a steep convex slope was too much risk for us
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy