Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy (Or Tignes/Val D'Isere) 2021/2022. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@Atomic_Mick, refurb completed, all very swish now. Prices seem about the same and par for the resort. Pizzas still very good, although I wasn't that impressed with my salade chèvre chaud tbh, too much salade v chèvre. Wine list improved. Service efficient in a French sort of way.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is anyone who's already been out there this year able to clarify the mask rules on lifts? Is it all lifts? Are there any minimum requirements for the masks, i.e. is a buff ok?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sugarmoma666, Keep an eye on this:

https://en.tignes.net/informations-covid-19
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can see from the pic on above link that a cloth mask is acceptable it seems. I am bringing a box of surgical masks plus some FFP2 standard masks plus a few re-useable cloth ones. I intend to use one surgical mask a day. On bad weather days I will use one of the cloth ones or an FFP2
I am hoping the surgical are ok for bars and restaurants
Hoping I will get to ski a few runs late morning / early afternoon on 13th Nov. I have day then to warm up before doing some technique reminders during the following week. Hoping they will be able to get some kind of Double M piste down by then.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sugarmoma666, Val d’Isere tourist board seem to be promoting these buffs with a type of filtration.

https://boutique.valdisere.com/en/goodies/tour-de-cou
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. I'm hoping as some of those doing some early season skiing might be able to share some experience of what's happening on the ground. The info on the Tignes website is quite short.
Also, what's happening in restaurants etc? Have I understood that if venues are checking COVID passes then masks aren't required? Cheers.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here's how things are at the moment.

Shuttle bus: masks compulsory, everybody complies, driver has a hissy fit if anyone dares not to.

Funicular and lobby: masks compulsory with frequent reminders. Practically everyone complies.

Telecabine: rule relaxed to allow masks or buffs. Frequent reminders by cabin driver and high compliance.

Chairlifts and T bars: no masks worn or buffs but the coming weather might change that!

Shops and other enclosed spaces: masks.

NONE OF THE ABOVE HAVE REQUIRED ANY COVID PASS

Cafes, restaurants: have to present a Covid pass and the NHS one is working fine. Enforcement strictness varies. No mask once sat down but masks worn if circulating eg going to the loo or leaving.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 31-10-21 21:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow conditions. A few inches of new snow yesterday on a firm base. A bit like spring snow - very cohesive almost slush and very nice to ski.

Don't know if we'll be allowed up tomorrow as a big storm may be rolling through. As the radio said this morning - "winter is coming".

Snowmaking has begun on Double M.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@bobski62, Thanks on the mask stuff, I was assuming that a buff would be sufficient when going into the funicular and bars etc. Might make me avoid the funiculars at the PSB and use the chairs / gondolas instead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi @stevew, to summarise, it's a blend of masks/buffs with the majority being buffs on the funi/box and the majority being masks in shops and on buses. The main issue, particularly in the telecabine, is the faff factor, which is why buffs are in the majority and the lifites are OK with them.

They have been testing Lanches chair, so by bash time funi should hopefully be avoidable for those who would prefer not to use it. Canopy down = mask on in theory but it's not been put to the test yet. No gondolas running yet but my expectation is buffs from what I've seen so far.

In general I feel a lot, lot safer here than in the UK. The regs are stricter without getting in the way too much and are being observed by the vast majority. Very much the opposite to my last few weeks in London.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do wonder how much covid difference the masks/buffs/whatever on lifts will make, beyond making some people 'feel' safer despite being fully vaccinated....the large majority of potential transmission must surely be in bars/apres etc. So if you're particularly worried about Covid, surely just stay out of these places.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always love it when they take the netting down on the Tennis Courts by the lake. Today seems to be the day! Its the clarion call for the winter. Is this the start of snow cover for the winter? Lets hope so
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mark1863, Next step is the tyres coming out. Maybe tomorrow after the toussaint holiday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The other time-honoured tradition
Snow looks wettish in Lac. Hopefully snow Weds/Thurs will be better. Possibly Sat-Sun forecast snow may have too high a freezing level but that is a long way off but would make GM conditions better.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Snow looks wettish in Lac.

Not just Lac, @Mark1863, but up top too. About 20cm of fresh clag most places. Consistency a bit lighter down the side of 3500 but viz a struggle.

High winds closed the lifts a few hours early today. Not too hopeful of them opening again tomorrow given the forecast but let's see in the morning...
snow conditions
Quick questions having not been before and looking at opening week:
1 - Are they likely to get home runs to Val D'Isere open on opening week of 27th-4th with snow making even if there isn't enough real stuff?
2 - If staying in Tignes what is best area (Lac/Claret etc) - we need a good 3* hotel close to a couple of bars / restaurants

Thanks in advance
snow conditions
@RobJsy, 1 - Are they likely to get home runs to Val d'Isere open on opening week of 27th-4th with snow making even if there isn't enough real stuff?

Quite unlikely, they often open without the home runs open but I wouldn't be too put off, there is likely to still be quite a bit of stuff to go at
snow report
@RobJsy,
I slightly favour lac but there is not much to chose between the two. The centre of VC has a few good places to eat and drink. Ditto Lac. Lac tends to be quiter in the evening.
snow conditions
RobJsy wrote:

2 - If staying in Tignes what is best area (Lac/Claret etc) - we need a good 3* hotel close to a couple of bars / restaurants

IMV, I'd choose Val Claret over Lac in very early season. Why? Because if anything to valley level is going to be open, it'll be Double M, and that ends up back in Val Claret. Also easy access to the Funival up to the Glacier if that's all that is open. If more than Double M is open, then you can get Tufs and/or Tichot to access the other areas, and both have blue runs home (although some are dark blue in parts). Fresse/Paranoid often doesn't open till nearer Christmas week.

Le Lac has the Toviere Gondola, but the run home from there is Trolles/JulianClary which is a Black, so depending on your ability may not be an option. The other side is Palafour which has a nice easy blue run home. Chaudannes rarely opens until closer to Christmas week.

There are bars and resturaunts to suit most budgets in both parts of Tignes, and a good bus service between the two if you fancy exploring the other resort for apres.
snow conditions
A few hardy souls were skiing down Double M today. Watching the webcam. Walking the last bit into VC.
ski holidays
Considering it was grass yesterday morning must be using hire skis or old rock skis!
ski holidays
Hello. snowHead Long time lurker here, I have enjoyed reading your posts about Tignes - been following this thread for a couple of years. Planning my first trip to Tignes at the moment (actually, since the start of the year but who's counting?). Heading out second week in December - VERY excited.

However, I have what may seem like a strange question for you - hopefully some of you experienced/local heads may have an opinion. There's a possibility my partner won't be able to go with me in December and I will be flying solo. I love skiing solo, so all of that is ok. But, as a female who will be staying on my own, in a rented apartment in Val Claret, I'm hoping safety-wise that would be ok? I haven't travelled on my own for years, and have some irrational nerves. I'm guessing crime isn't a huge problem in Tignes? Sorry for the neurotic question, I guess I'm just trying to put my mind at ease Very Happy And thanks in advance.
snow conditions
@random_banter, In 8 seasons IME there has been little crime in Tignes bar a bit of petty thieving (keep your apt door locked at all times), drunken students fighting and dog fouling. The only serious event was a gang related fight on New Years Eve when a couple of rival gangs from Annecy had a fight with terrible consequences.

We live in a very distant dead end, if the Police close the road there is no way out, so there are little or no travelling miscreants.

The buses run all night between the big resorts. You'll be just fine.
snow report
Webcams show heavy snow falling as low as Les Boisses (1800) at least. As I am going towards end of next week its a great thing to see.
snow report
Vanoise opened this morning, but then closed for a tech issue!
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@random_banter, In 8 seasons IME there has been little crime in Tignes bar a bit of petty thieving (keep your apt door locked at all times), drunken students fighting and dog fouling. The only serious event was a gang related fight on New Years Eve when a couple of rival gangs from Annecy had a fight with terrible consequences.

We live in a very distant dead end, if the Police close the road there is no way out, so there are little or no travelling miscreants.

The buses run all night between the big resorts. You'll be just fine.

That is the exact kind of reassurance I was looking for, I did think the nature of the resort's location would also have an impact on safety too. Thanks so much. Smile
snow report
@random_banter,
Lock your skis up if stopping to eat or at apres.
snow conditions
Ditto Rossolin, @chocksaway, at which point I gave up. It coincided with the weather turning horizontal (it had been quite well-behaved for a few hours, even a bit of viz at the top) but most folk upped sticks - some literally - by 2pm.

What's being laid down is of a much nicer consistency than Monday. Can't speak for Tuesday as nothing opened. Best skiing today was along the side of Termignon where no gates today. Most place else very chopped up but once the storm has passed and the pisteurs have done their stuff we may get sunshine and hero snow for the end of the week and weekend.

On which point, missing your forecasts: Radio Val d'Isere great at telling me what the weather is (rather than what it's going to be) and the snow forecast websites rather off the mark.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A difficult start to the day for the lifties with little open till well after 10 o'clock and a very stormy morning. Long queues for lift tickets ensued as they didn't want to sell any until opening was more definite. Then, what a turnaround - by noon the winds had calmed, box and 3500 had opened and we were treated to a bluebird afternoon. Rosolin continues to break down though, constantly.

Conditions: light chopped up snow everywhere. Little yet pisted but a delight to ski it nonetheless. Some 'growlers' between the pistes so care needed or best avoided. Tracks heading down towards Double M but not tempted for same reasons.
ski holidays
It looked like the snow cannons were running for an hour or two on Double M this morning.
snow report
This is all exciting to hear, keep it coming please!
Looking forward to PSB in Dec.
Q: Does anyone know of a LIVE video webcam in Tignes/Val. By "live" I mean moving/video with little people walking or sliding down snow. When stuck behind a desk it's very relaxing to have it in on a little happy window. There used to be one for La Tania I watched, If not Tignes then I'll take a recommendation for anywhere in the Alps pls Very Happy .
latest report
@ninthtoe, here's one from Les Gets - have checked, clouds are moving...plus there's some snow too..! Cool

http://youtube.com/v/8lbXwHSsWGM
ski holidays
thanks thats great and people moving too and sledding
snow conditions
Not quite what your after but this gets refreshed with a bit of video every hour. The snow cannons going full tilt an hour ago
https://tignes.roundshot.com/lac/#/video
Snow cannons blasting out on the Double M - hopefully means I can ski down in 8-9 days time
snow conditions
All lifts open today from Vanoise upwards. Bluebird day. Hero snow. Report ends.
ski holidays
Great to see a bit of snow has arrived, looking forward to arrival on 8 jan!
snow conditions
bobski62 wrote:
All lifts open today from Vanoise upwards. Bluebird day. Hero snow. Report ends.

Even Leisse chair?
ski holidays
Kenzie wrote:
bobski62 wrote:

Even Leisse chair?

Leisse - very much doubt it’s open but sounds like cracking conditions.
snow report
Sorry @Kenzie, no, not Leisse. Forgot about that one as it's tucked away and not a pre-season lift.
ski holidays
@bobski62,
Back in the day it was a cracking lift for pre & late season freshies. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy