Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy (Or Tignes/Val D'Isere) 2021/2022. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
sbooker wrote:
@Steve Angus,
Is it realistically possible to catch the bus from Tignes over to Val before morning lesson starts?

Before morning lessons start - i dont think there is a bus that gets across in time - it might be possible but I've certainly never had anyone get across from Tignes for a group lesson and arrive at our meet point for 0930 in Val centre... IF the session was to start at 0930 then its much easier as either meet bottom of Tommeuse (usually in a private lesson situation) or potentially (if you are quick) connect Toviere then Marmottes lift and download (ski down Face) to get to our meet point for 0930!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On the plane on my way to sunny Tignes. Probably not worth getting the carta neige ski pass insurance as the of piste probably not worth a venture as weather been do sunny and no snow forecast for this week or is it still handy to have. Cheers for any answers
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dutch Carl, always get it. The cost is minimal and worth it as accidents occur on piste as well .
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GeorgeVII wrote:
@BobbyJ, I would second Chocksaway's suggestion of Jean Charles @ Sport 2000 (Rue de la Poste). A couple of months into my Season in Tignes I started to develop a bunion on one foot. Saw Jean who eased the shell of my boot out for me. Cost me 10 euros. He said that he'd left room for more tweaking if req'd and to go back if it was still troubling me. I did end up going back again. He eased the shell a little further but also shaved the liner at the pressure point. Sorted! But he wouldn't let me pay him again.

Then at half-term a mob of the family and in-laws came out to Tignes. One of the group was being crippled by his boots. Bought new pre-trip on recommendation from EB in Manchester. I sent him to see Jean Charles. He got an appointment that afternoon and my son took him round there. He was sat in the shop in his socks, boots by feet and waiting his turn, and hadn't spoken to Jean about his foot issues at that point.
Jean walked past him, glanced at his feet and said "wrong boots, you have wide feet and a narrow boot". He blew the shells about as far as he dare and the rest is history as they.

He's also supplied a couple of ski buddies with touring boots (Dalbello) and neither of them have had issues with them.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Question: do I need to book in with Jean Charles in advance? Or can I just walk in?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobbyJ, More often than not he's in the shop in the afternoon and evening.

Chocksaway is on his way to Tignes today so may be to confirm as and when.

An appointment is probably recommended.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

@Dutch Carl, always get it. The cost is minimal and worth it as accidents occur on piste as well .

Seems more than ever this winter, collisions on piste. Perhaps lots of over-eager skiers/boarders who've had a long gap since their last ski. Heli evac, whether from on the piste or off, is €70 a minute.

Great to hear others are on their way too...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All the ifs turned green and am now posting from Chez Chocks. But I fell amongst thieves in La Queue de Cochon, so will do a full report tomorrow, in between bouts of cleaning and washing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chocksaway wrote:
All the ifs turned green and am now posting from Chez Chocks. But I fell amongst thieves in La Queue de Cochon, so will do a full report tomorrow, in between bouts of cleaning and washing.

And in between watching Ski Sunday?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorted
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Kenzie, If I can persuade a browser I'm in England.

The journey was probably the least hassled one for years once I left home armed with all the bits of paper which then no one checked! Lyon airport seemed very quiet but the Altibus was quite busy with French folks, mask compliance was about 90%.

So after a quick trip to the sherpa for 2 weeks grub (and a swift coffee at the Jam Bar), I met up with some mates for a quick half or two at the QDC in the evening. You have to wear masks if stood up and they scanned as many vax certs as poss. I've just used the paper NHS one in a plastic folder, worked like a dream.

This morning and the afternoon was spent wearing Marigolds, there was a fine layer of dust everywhere (they have build a new hotel across the road, so not surprising, but it has stolen some of my view Sad . I also popped out to get a carte neige and one or two bits and bobs like a 'buff sanitaire'. Most shops and the Maison had sold out, but the new Intersport next door to Escale Blanche came good, its huge. I dropped my skis in at Sport 2000, unfortunately Jean-Charles the bootfitter of choice has retired, hes just doing some odd taxying jobs. I will ask around and see who is new. Jo-Jos Nevada Sport is now an estate agents, as is Cafe Flo. Lost count how many agents are on Rue de La Poste! The Gravity Lab ski servicing place on the Gallery du Palafour is now - wait for it -
A Caviar and Champagne Bar - in Tignes!

The posh coffee shop on the other side of the cut through is now Oxygene ski school and a cafe.
The kebab shop on the Gallery has been rebranded again.

As I wander more I will continue to report changes. There should be a live ski report tomorrow once I have found everything. Amazing how you get out of the routine after 2 years off. If only I had made a list.

The weather is very springlike, unbroken blue skies and certainly warm enough for a terrace lunch. The nights are still very cold though. This pattern will continue until Wednesday, Thursday will see the arrival of a few clouds before unsettled weather on Friday. Hopefully there will be more detail tomorrow evening.

Right time to make a vat of chilli.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At last - back on skis!

I managed to make the slopes by 9.30 and it appeared I had remembered to take everything. That said it takes ages to walk anywhere at the moment as everybody is pleased to see Brits and I have had to repeat my life story to dozens of people I know well - even in the loos of the Maison. The sun has shone all day and it is really like early March, lots of eating and drinking on terraces in the Sun. On the pistes the going is good to firm, perhaps a bit nearer to firm. They have been using the cannons so on my first couple of trips down Palafour I had a couple of bambi moments crossing a few of the 'white hippos'. Off piste is effectively done, I was surprised to see how little snow depth there is, a lot of 'known obstacles' are still visible, where I would expect them to be covered. I had my vax pass checked twice, it seems they are batch checking on the base lifts for an hour or so. It does mean a bit of a queue as folks have to dis-glove and faff with the phones. I have my paper copy of my NHS pass in an old building society passbook wallet, which I can retrieve with my inner glove on, sometimes progress slows things down! Mask or buff wearing was negligible and not being enforced on the lifts. We skied round the Palet Sector and up to the top of Vanoise and then down to La Daille for a really warm welcome at Rosée Blanche, it was, by this time Croque o clock! Good to see Old Jacques in there, still going at 94! I then skied back round for a bit more cleaning, check the bank card works in the ATM with the bank open etc.

The high pressure is set till mid Thursday when the centre of it moves northwest towards Cornwall. So tomorrow and Wednesday will be a repeat of today. Thursday wont be much different, probably, although there may be a breeze on the Motte. Currently the high pressure is blocking the weather that was supposed to bring snow on Thursday night into Friday. It currently, looks like any precipitation will be about a hundred miles to the east. But given the high is flexing there is a bit of indecision on this, it wouldn't need much of a change to bring it our way. Friday will see more cloud, but fast moving sunny periods as the wind at altitude may even preclude the higher lifts. Next week looks unsettled with snow from maybe Tuesday onwards.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ta for the update chocksaway.

Quote:
they have build a new hotel across the road, so not surprising, but it has stolen some of my view
How's it looking? Is it the monstrosity that has been feared? Or is it a tasteful addition to the resort?

We're wondering if it will also steal some of our view - from the 4th floor of Chalet Club 4. We haven't been back to Tignes (since covid) to find out...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mountainaddict, The one I'm referring to is in place of the Chalet du Lavachey (Savoyarde spelling) in Lac it is tasteful. Unlike the one that replaced the Paka, which looks like it hasn't been finished, I'm sure in the architects eye it's wonderful.

I think your opposite the new Club Med, I had a quick look at it today, you may be OK, just not able to seethe low bits of the State, no promises!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers chocksaway. Apologies for the confusion and for marking you down as a Val Claret dweller wink

Hopefully we won't be too badly affected - here's our 'before' view.

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My skis could do with a service, well certainly the edges doing I would say. Where would people recommend in Tignes? Thanks.
latest report
@blacksheep, If you're in Le Lac I would recommend Sport 2000, Rue de la Poste.
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, thanks. We're in Val Claret but it's not too much of a trek to Le Lac from memory.
latest report
Has anyone found a good boot fitter in le lac yet. Anyone used mika at intersport. Cheers
snow conditions
Quote:
We're in Val Claret
We've used two places near the Hotel Diva for overnight ski servicing and been happy enough with both - 1. The big Intersport shop. 2. The little shop next to the Irish bar.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Great to see you got back out.

Couple of quickies - I see you managed to get a "buff sanitaire" - is that a deffo requirement, or may my usual buff suffice..........my assumption is that the compliance and checks are falling away quickly?
latest report
@greenday. All but the funicular
snow report
@blacksheep, +1 for Sport 2000, I had 2 pairs done on Sunday.
@Dutch Carl, Sadly not, I am asking around though. Most people I know have just arrived and are getting out as much as poss and not worrying about new kit.

Another bluebird day today in Tignes, if anything it was a couple of degrees cooler and there was a hint of a breeze at altitude, barely enough to ruffle a feather. No checks on certificates today. We spent most of the time between Val Claret and the top of Vanoise brushing up the technique, the snow on Genepy is great, just a bit skaty on Prariond as usual. As there are very few little ones here this week we did go through the kids zone tunnels etc to the left of Bollin. A hot choc was taken at the Panoramique, the sheer decadence.

The weather has changed little, the high pressure will dominate and we are in for another 3 Dame Vera days. We shouldn't see a cloud until Saturday, although there may be a bit more breeze on Friday, especially in the afternoon. With the temperature dropping a bit, it may be time for another layer by then. Saturday will also be breezy and there will be a stronger breeze at altitude but the clouds will only be fluffy and they will be moving sharpish, so nothing to spoil the light. Sunday is up for discussion, but likely to be cloudy and windy right to the lowest levels of the resort. Early warning for very high winds and snow showers on Monday.

Have a great Burns Night to all the McSnowHeads, and to answer your question GreenDay, no it was already booked up when I got here!
snow conditions
@chocksaway, Ooft - disaster Very Happy if it makes you feel any better I am off out tonight, but also not eating haggis !
snow conditions
@chocksaway need to get boot blown out a bit
snow report
@Dutch Carl, Ahh, I have just messaged someone down in Lavachet, but it might be worth calling in at Tignes Spirit in Lavachet, about 30 metres from the bus stop (just past Pizza Nick). If your are not fluent in French it may be easier to talk in English.

@GreenDay, Not been challenged yet, but not been on the Funi, as its such nice weather at the moment, chairs just reduce the risk. I'm finding that it just stops on my chin easier than a normal buff, which is nice! €16 from Intersport in Lac (Escale Blanche) and has the appropriate standard on the box, the Tignes branded ones are well over 30, but they have run out. Bon App for tonight.
latest report
@Dutch Carl, Mate has spoken to the Boss of Tignes Spirit (who was up a ladder - the power of snowHeads!). Yes, he has a good boot fitter who does blow things out, he is available after 1630 tomorrow and Thursday. Good Luck!
snow report
@chocksaway nice 1 mate. Will book in the morning as staying in same block
snow report
@chocksaway nice 1 mate. Will book in the morning as staying in same block
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
how much are we believing the Bergfex forecast? I'm not convinced. I'm going to Tignes on Saturday for the first time since 2019!
ski holidays
@zariel, Follow Chocksaway's forecasts as above.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, @chocksaway, thanks for the recommendations. Cool
ski holidays
Wonder if any info on food delivery services in tignes?
ski holidays
@snowornever, The pizza shops deliver, not seen anything else unless you want ready meals to cook yourself, in which case Huski are fab!
latest report
Cheers chocks will check them out!
snow report
@snowornever, https://alpineroots-food.com/ will deliver you a raclette or fondue for the evening. Ran by an english couple down in Bourg.
ski holidays
timlongs wrote:
@snowornever, https://alpineroots-food.com/ will deliver you a raclette or fondue for the evening. Ran by an english couple down in Bourg.

added to list thanks
snow report
Good mountain resturant tignes?
snow report
@snowornever,
Tignes Cuisine?
snow conditions
@chocksaway,
Someone at Tignes Spirit speaks French? How things change!
ski holidays
@Dutch Carl,
Actually up the mountain or in one of the villages?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy