Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy (Or Tignes/Val D'Isere) 2021/2022. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking a ways out here. We’ll rent a self catering apartment 23/24 season for my family to use. My daughter for the full ‘gap year’ season and me and my wife for parts thereof. The preferred location would be Tignes but Les Arcs is a strong contender due to its proximity to Bourg for better value groceries etc. We will have no car.
Aside from the local bus to Bourg is there any tricks to doing regular weekly shopping?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sbooker wrote:
Thinking a ways out here. We’ll rent a self catering apartment 23/24 season for my family to use. My daughter for the full ‘gap year’ season and me and my wife for parts thereof. The preferred location would be Tignes but Les Arcs is a strong contender due to its proximity to Bourg for better value groceries etc. We will have no car.
Aside from the local bus to Bourg is there any tricks to doing regular weekly shopping?

If you're in Arcs without a car but want 'better value groceries' from Bourg you'll be taking the Funicular, so be near that and you'll be reet. Personally I'd rather have a car stashed out there if you'll out and back several times a season - you'll save a fortune over booking transfers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We’re from Australia so it is likely my daughter will do early December to mid April and I would do the month of January and the month of March. So there wouldn’t be that much back and forth. We caught the train to Bourg when we visited last March and that was fine.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sbooker wrote:
We’re from Australia so it is likely my daughter will do early December to mid April and I would do the month of January and the month of March. So there wouldn’t be that much back and forth. We caught the train to Bourg when we visited last March and that was fine.

Fair enough, but being without a car does kind of 'limit' places for good value supermarket shops.

When we're out int' alps we do a big shop every 10ish days, and we stuff the car full. Bear in mind you'll need to stow it on the bus so you'll need to have somekind of fool proof method of making sure your shopping survives whatever method of travel you take - sources from No. 10 say suitcases are good for transporting wine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is that (at last) a bit of fresh snow I see on the top bit of the glacier Puzzled

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sbooker,
Do your daughter a favour - choose Tignes, preferably Le Lac or Lavachete. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is now official. Unless there is exceptionally snowy weather Tignes will not open for Autumn Skiing.

https://en.tignes.net/skiing/le-ski-en-automne-sur-le-glacier
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Kenzie,
That’s the idea. Just thinking around the logistics. As a 18 year old girl that will likely be working part time I’m sure she’ll meet people. Getting a lift into Bourg occasionally should be possible I would think.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sbooker, Are you happy for her to hitch hike? Folks are very good at picking young folks up, at the top end of Bourg or near the Ferme in Tignes. Those of us with cars know the buses are not cheap and that parents are often too busy working to take the kids down to BSM.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway,
For half the time I’ll be on the other side of the world so the hitching decision will be on her I suppose.
I’m sure she would manage somehow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sbooker,
Check out tignes-spirit.com for seasonal accommodation. If you make it to the Espace this season try asking them if you can view any properties of interest apres-ski. If you have an idea of what you are looking for let them know - if they don't have it available now they might be able to source it for 23/24. Handily, they are also employers.
If possible rent from the start of the links to VDI opening (usually last Sunday in November) to Tignes closing in May. Those early & late weeks can be some of the best & quietest of the season and in Novemder/early December she"ll get to meet seasonnaires before too many punters turn up. Early season is also when Snowheads hold their PSB & is popular with Brit students - not sure if these two are good things or not!
Work wise what would she be looking for? A bit of info would allow chocksaway et all suggest potential employers, but I'll start the ball rolling with tignes-spirit (Clare & Kieran), the Loop empire (Jamie & Morgan), Niurou (Debs & Dan) and La Queue de Cochon (Sarah & Duncan).
Oh and as regards to shopping in BSM - it probably won't be worth the hassel without car. The supermarkets in Tignes are not that much of a ripoff.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kenzie wrote:
@sbooker,
Oh and as regards to shopping in BSM - it probably won't be worth the hassel without car. The supermarkets in Tignes are not that much of a ripoff.

I will second that - we stayed in Rue dl Poste last year and the two near the Palafour lift in Lac are in excellent positions and were reasonable for on the days we cooked.

I think if you are doing a massive shop it may be worth it, but not via bus etc
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Kenzie,
Great tips. Thanks. I think university finishes late November so that should work. And she won’t be going back until July so going until May could be possible.
Emily works in a deli/cafe now so she can do that kind of stuff but she could easily adapt to bar work. I guess being a lifty would be a possibility too.
With regards the shopping she is not fussy and being about 5 feet 2 inches and 50 kg is not a huge eater. And fillet steak won’t be in the budget either I suppose.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sbooker,
If her French is up to it look at bar/restaurant or ski hire (tignes-spirit again!) work. The former is also a great way to meet other seasonnaires - I worked my first season at the Rond Point in Meribel (the Ronnie) as the accountant, but even so, a great social life!
To be honest jobs with the lift company generally don't go to Pommies (she'll be classed as a Pommie so tell her to suck it up! On the plus side she can support Le Rosbifs in the annual rugby match).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Booked into some early course with Snoworks. Chalet company after payment. Seems a little pointless planning anything pre 26/11 and even then....
Asked for an update from Snoworks
snow conditions
Latest I head @Mark1863, is that for the instructor-focused training they were looking at moving it to Cervinia. I've decided against that as it would involve significant additional costs. Plus the link from Cervinia to the glacier (which is Zermatt-side) is prone to closure owing to high winds, so potential for many lost days.

My original plan was to get to Tignes late Oct, get some free skiing in for a few days and then do a few weeks of training with Snoworks. Given the late-opening announcement I will revise that plan and will aim for late Nov instead. But it leaves me at a loose end as regards getting some training. I may try for more of a drip-feed arrangement through the season but all ideas are welcome!

Of course if we are blessed with good autumn snowfall, an earlier opening is still possible - but that's hard to plan for. If it happens I may dash over last minute.
snow report
@bobski62,
I was only due out on 19/11. I had a big hip operation in June. Not a replacement (but lots of work to the cartilege, a reshaped head of the femur and removal of a spur that had fused the joint). So am keen to make the most of the winter. So the news about the glacier was a real downer. The enthusiasm to do 20 different re-hab exercises a day wavered for a few days.
Like you I am looking to spread my instruction over the whole winter.
latest report
Hi Chocksaway
where did you find the 22/23 prices published? I have 2 kids under 8 the raising the age from 5 to 8 is going to save 00s Smile

thanks

chocksaway wrote:
Some detail now on Tignes.net re next seasons lift pass prices.

Highlights for main season (from 17 Dec)

6 day pass €360
Under 8's free
8-18's €300
64-74 €300
Over 75, still free!!

Daily rate is €60, so no benefit to buying in advance if the weather is dodgy, but it appears that the 7th day is free.........

The full tariff grid is not yet published, so hold your breath.
There also appears to be a new Tignes a la carte, but the link doesn't yet work, STGM busy selling summer stuff.
snow report
Just booked yesterday a cheap Airbnb for the Christmas Week in Val Claret. £570 for a 23sq m Studio, which I think was a very good deal for the time of the year.

We had written off going away at Christmas, but we lost our dog last week very suddenly and unexpectedly to cancer, so we've taken a sod it attitude and booked the week.

I've got a new job that takes me up to the end of March, so plans to spend all of April in Tignes are looking promising, and the very reasonably priced apartment in Le Lavachet i'm eyeing up is still available, so hopefully in a months time i'll book that up once I have a better idea about the new job. That'll get me 5 weeks in Tignes this winter, plus we have a week in Saalbach in January. Excited is an understatement!
snow report
Keneski wrote:
Hi Chocksaway
where did you find the 22/23 prices published? I have 2 kids under 8 the raising the age from 5 to 8 is going to save 00s Smile

thanks

chocksaway wrote:
Some detail now on Tignes.net re next seasons lift pass prices.

Highlights for main season (from 17 Dec)

6 day pass €360
Under 8's free
8-18's €300
64-74 €300
Over 75, still free!!

Daily rate is €60, so no benefit to buying in advance if the weather is dodgy, but it appears that the 7th day is free.........

The full tariff grid is not yet published, so hold your breath.
There also appears to be a new Tignes a la carte, but the link doesn't yet work, STGM busy selling summer stuff.

https://en.tignes.net/skiing/ski-pass-you-need
Note that early & late season rates are cheaper than full season.
snow conditions
@swskier,
All of April - not into May?
ski holidays
@Kenzie, tentative plan is 4 weeks from 1st April, then come home and work again.
snow report
@swskier,
If & when you book the accommodation ask if you could possibly have it for the same price 'til the end of the season. The 'stolen' week in Tignes used to be fun, with the mountain to yourself.
If they say no you've lost nothing. If they say yes & you don't use it after 4 weeks you've lost nothing!
If you do do April, be careful of the end of season 'drink the bar dry' closing parties - the hangovers! Not too much of a loss not being fit to hit the slopes until 11am if you've done a full season, but a bit of a percentage loss of mountain time otherwise. wink
snow report
@Kenzie, Good advice on both accounts!
snow report
There's snow visible on the village webcams Very Happy - here's Val Claret.

And the glacier is looking whiter, at last. (It's foggy looking up - hence the photo of the view towards the valley).

It's coming!! Winter's on its way! Laughing
latest report
The Grand Motte is looking good this morning.

I wonder if the decision to not open to some degree for autumn skiing will be revised. Although I guess the big crevice in the glacier hight up will need a lot more snow and careful management to make safe.
latest report
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
The Grand Motte is looking good this morning.

I wonder if the decision to not open to some degree for autumn skiing will be revised. Although I guess the big crevice in the glacier hight up will need a lot more snow and careful management to make safe.

If it becomes safe on the glacier before 26 Nov then I'd be surprised if it wasn't opened for skiing. There's a lot of money in prenting out pre-season ski racing runs.
snow report
Quote:
If it becomes safe on the glacier before 26 Nov then I'd be surprised if it wasn't opened for skiing
Not to mention that, historically, the Double M run down to Val Claret has sometimes opened in the first week of November and is usually open by mid-month. That being the case, and if the upper section of the glacier remains unsafe, they could surely open the runs below the top station of the funicular? 1000m vertical or so would be very decent at that time of year.

Surely Tignes has to try and maintain its reputation as a snow-sure early season destination?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I read it like this: good chance of opening 3032m / Panoramique downwards last weekend of Nov; low chance of anything higher, however good the snowfall might be.

Reason for my scepticism is that STGM have to arrange staff and contracts and as a business may prefer to play it safe rather than risk the outlay at a 50/50 chance (being optimistic) of getting a return.

The recent announcement can be paraphrased as: "no pre-season skiing / opening last weekend of Nov / earlier only if there is exceptional autumn snowfall". I imagine the last of these is most probably a sop to make us all feel better rather than a statement of serious intent. How exceptional that snowfall has to be will be open to interpretation by the board of directors and their accountants I expect...

Bear in mind also that the teams that want race lanes will be making alternative plans by now, so undermining Tignes's ability to sell that commodity.
snow report
Nice dusting of snow in Le Lac and Val Claret this morning, more forecast this week.
ski holidays
Quote:
Reason for my scepticism is that STGM have to arrange staff and contracts and as a business may prefer to play it safe rather than risk the outlay at a 50/50 chance (being optimistic) of getting a return
Hmmm...Looks like a lot of people will be off to Val Thorens in November then rolling eyes

Quote:
Nice dusting of snow in Le Lac and Val Claret this morning, more forecast this week
Great! See pic below. Following on from the above, heavy November snow is all but nailed on... Confused Can't see how the glacier is looking at present as the cam is snow covered.

latest report
@chocksaway time for the 22/23 thread to get opened??
ski holidays
Seems to have snowed as low as the Grattalu this week.
snow report
Not sure that the posts here on when things will open are correct. The bit of Double-M below the top of Les Lanches will open on Oct 5 for race training on preserved snow, the report suggested to me that Les Lanches will be running, seems like a long round trip to me so maybe they will use snowmobiles or a wire tow to lap the courses.
snow report
@kitenski, It'll be soon, still waiting for e mails to return, plus a few too many things going on this week. I thought retirement was going to be easy!
snow conditions
I'm booked to got to Lac for the 10th of December, been a few years ago around that time just hopping for some snowboarding before Christmas!
latest report
@rjs, I've seen the French national team do this previous autumns: Lanches for the main uplift / downlift (bottom is grass or mud pre-season) and skidoo to lap the courses set at the top of Lanches.

If you are a member of the public intending to ski the upcoming pre-season in Tignes expect to argue the toss with the lifties on Lanches and remember to pack your skidoo...
snow conditions
PS
Quote:

the report suggested

Do you have a link ... ?

Thx.
snow conditions
bobski62 wrote:
Quote:
the report suggested

Do you have a link ... ?

From the DL here.
latest report
@bobski62,
They are taking bookings:-
https://en.tignes.net/professional-contents/lanes-booking
latest report