Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy (Or Tignes/Val D'Isere) 2021/2022. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@chocksaway, Bravo you did a good job
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Rob Mackley,
'La Rosiere is different'
It always was. Back in happier times a six day or longer lift pass (Espace Killy, Paradiski, Ste Foy, 3 Valleys) came with free days in the other resorts - except La Rosiere, which gave 35% off a day pass.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 1-08-22 0:05; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, "chapeau" @chocksaway for that explanation! So basically, it's political rather than technical. I can still kinda square it off on the basis that if I should ever base myself in BSM, the saving on accommodation more than covers having to buy two season passes (and pay for odd days in St Foy and La Rosiere)!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rob Mackley, @bobski62, Ta, and Bob, if you are in Bourg, don't forget the Super U vouchers for St F on your till receipt. Normally less than €30 for Wed and Sat. Every little helps!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bobski62, until the end of August you can buy a season pass in Ste Foy for €440 this includes a one free day in Val/Tignes , Les Arcs and La Plagne , a 35% discount whenever at La Rosiere and a book of 6 half price vouchers for friends in Ste Foy . A bargain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chocksaway, thanks, good answer, including showing your ‘workings’ I’d say.

Always interesting to try to understand the power and influences behind how ski areas develop, remain the same, change strategy, decide on some of the seemingly small but important policies and so on.

Helps explain why some of the way things are, or change, don’t seem grounded in rational thinking or common sense.

Questions, if you know about these things. If the Companie des Alpes don’t own the lifts but only the operating license, who actually owns the lifts? Then who owns the land all the lifts are on?
I doubt it’s simple Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PeakyB, You are right, it's not. Again as I understand it the Commune 'own' the lifts, the licence to operate could be revoked. Interestingly, Tignes was the first CdeA resort back in the 80s when the resort was just about bankrupt. Val D'Isere didn't handover control until the noughties, when STVI was about to go bust, after blowing the budget on the Olympique Express.

The land above which we ski is as complicated. This is how it was explained to me by a councillor. The land is owned by numerous farmers but only really to an altitude, basically where grass grows. Bizarrely, they don't own the snow above it, but the resort still needs permission to put a piste above it. The resort doesn't pay for the use but the owners get free lift passes thanks to an old statute. But, it gets more bizarre, I suggested we needed lots more posted to keep it safe for all the extra skiers, but it has now been ruled that benefits in kind to allow the right to use the snow above the owned land has been forbidden. Meaning, no one is now interested. Some of that might have been lost in translation but the main thrust is right.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, thanks again. Fascinating!
Glad the farmers don’t own the snow accumulated on their land.

Otherwise, it might be harvested and up for bids on skibay Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And in other news, Tignes Seasonaires has a picture of the foundations going in for the Aiguille Rouge Chair. That's good news although later than normal, going by previous installations.
Here's hoping they don't bump into any issues, either technical or environmental.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway, I always get confused with Aiguille Rouge and Marais (sp) but checked the piste map and Marais is now not on it, can't remember if was on last seasons as at the PSB that side wasn't open, but what are the replacement plans for that?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stevew, Easy to get confused, I used to refer to them as the short one, Aiguille Rouge, and long slow one, Marais.

The Marais was condemned and ripped out last summer, but it's replacement ran into planning difficulties, which are now mostly resolved. But a huge bottleneck ensued at Aiguille Rouge last season, so it's replacement was fast tracked this summer.

Hopefully Marais will reappear shortly, but I think the Tichot Gondola is the priority to service HMS Club Med. But then again it didn't get through planning at the first attempt!

We also have to take into account what's in the new lift kitty, that's a percentage of the lift pass take, so significantly down in 19/20, nothing in 20/21 and a reduction in 21/22, although that was quite marginal.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, thanks for the reminder, hopefully we'll get a fast Marais for 23/24 Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We’re going round to Tignes from Val d’Isere tomorrow for the food festival and looking for some advice from Tignes snowheads. Some enterprising person from Tignes has attached signs for the event at some of the roundabouts in Val.

1/ Parking, where is best.
2/ A nice place for lunch, fat salad, planches,charcuteries.
3/ Hike routes, something about 2/3hrs.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lac 3 under the Maison de Tignes.
I would say Terrachu by the lake, but it's likely to be fully booked unless you get on the phone in the morning. The terrace at Escale Blanche is reliable.
Hiking, there is a good route up Toviere and round the Pointe de Lavachet, downside is you will get views of La Daille wink
A shorter route is to walk down from Lavachet down the right bank of the stream to the waterfall.
Or up Palafour to Lacs du Chardonnet, bathe feet and then down Grattalu or traverse Lognan back to the upper reaches of the Golf Course.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10227481005629317&set=a.1681920966397
ski holidays
Some detail now on Tignes.net re next seasons lift pass prices.

Highlights for main season (from 17 Dec)

6 day pass €360
Under 8's free
8-18's €300
64-74 €300
Over 75, still free!!

Daily rate is €60, so no benefit to buying in advance if the weather is dodgy, but it appears that the 7th day is free.........

The full tariff grid is not yet published, so hold your breath.
There also appears to be a new Tignes a la carte, but the link doesn't yet work, STGM busy selling summer stuff.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, 6 Day last season (inc insurance) was €342.

So gone up a tad, not massively though......
latest report
@GreenDay, Yeah, not bad, but if I was on a 6 dayer in low season I would be tempted to buy passes by the day in case of bad weather or a riotous evening with a bunch of delinquent seasonaires and staff in QDC...... wink
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@GreenDay, Yeah, not bad, but if I was on a 6 dayer in low season I would be tempted to buy passes by the day in case of bad weather or a riotous evening with a bunch of delinquent seasonaires and staff in QDC...... wink

That, and - is there a "Tignes only" and an "Espace Killy" pass? If there is, and you're going for a lunchtime into evening bender down in Brev/Boisses no point in buying the full area pass for that day.
latest report
@Judwin, There is a Tignes day pass, but you don't save a lot, but enough for a beer in Brev!
ski holidays
The freezing level is coming down and there's a bit of snow forecast on the glacier.

At last!!

Fingers crossed that it's a sign of things to come Little Angel

ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
The freezing level is coming down and there's a bit of snow forecast on the glacier.

At last!!

Fingers crossed that it's a sign of things to come Little Angel

Wonder where they get their data. Meteo France differs:-
https://meteofrance.com/meteo-montagne/tignes-3500m/732962
ski holidays
Very very speculative at the moment, but trying to make things tie up with work that mean I could possibly get over for the whole of April.

Do they do a reduced price season pass in Tignes? A spring pass sort of thing?
latest report
@swskier, No, but you now only need to ski for three weeks to break even on a season pass*

*Subject to ratification when full details are published
snow report
Just seen some pictures of the building site that is the Aiguille Rouge Chair, the base station is coming along nicely and it looks like the slope down from the Boisses bubble is being be regarded, hopefully to avoid that tiresome step up.

In other news, The Tignyards have had a tough week. Adele Milloz, 26, was killed in a fall whilst climbing in Cham. She was a former ski mountaineering champion, now training to be a mountain guide. Also, Jacques, of Jack's Club fame (He was the son of the original owners) has passed away at 41. His trademark black pork pie hat will be sadly missed around the village.
latest report
Okey dokey, there have been a few rumours whizzing about 're the state of the Glacier in Tignes.

From a source in the village, there is a major horizontal split in the upper glacier. Figures of 5m of snow needed to fill it are being bandied around. It is believed that a meeting to discuss the way ahead will be held next week.

This may lead to a delayed opening to later in Autumn or an opening when it is possible to ski from the top of the Funi to Vanoise.

Hopefully we will have an official answer soon.
ski holidays
Backing up what @chocksaway, is saying. I have heard the same thing but he has a little more detail. I was booked in for a course with Snoworks 21-25/11 and just got a note saying amongst other things:
"We have received some information from Tignes resort that they will be discussing potential opening dates for the autumn/winter next week. The date that is being discussed is the weekend of 26 November."
They suggest their clients do not book accom pre 26/11 unless they can get a full refund.
snow report
Another sad day for Tignes. News is filtering through of the death of Sander Carling of Alpaka fame. The stories of his life could fill a book or three.

A long life well lived.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No. A sad day indeed
Someone I knew very well. I remember going for the odd days skiing with him. One day in particular when we ended up in the L'Arolay up in le Fornet for a very, very long lunch with the old chap who ran the place. There was some very wobbly skiing on the way back back to Tignes.
Spent many weeks in the old Alpaka. It had an atmosphere that I and I think Tignes miss

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 25-08-22 17:39; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
I'm guessing the split in the upper glacier is what is visible on the webcam.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
I'm guessing the split in the upper glacier is what is visible on the webcam.

I'm guessing so. Looks in a bad way all the way down. Receded noticeably this year Sad
snow report
@chocksaway, thanks for the info re season passes.

I'm holding my fingers crossed on the interview I had yesterday that would potentially enable this to happen!
snow report
Terrible news re the split on the glacier...So in the worst case scenario, potentially no glacier skiing until the normal ski area opens.

If so, 2022 will have seen two weeks' skiing on the glacier between May and the end of November.

It's absolutely tragic. From skiing 365 days a year to this... Sad

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 29-08-22 10:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Just had a peek at the Grande Motte webcam and if I am looking at the right spot then I think @chocksaway's report of
Quote:
Figures of 5m of snow needed to fill it are being bandied around
may be no exaggeration. It looks like it could swallow piste-bashers whole... Last time we got a snow-depth of 5m+ was the epic 2017/18 winter and it took half the season.

I'm pinning my hopes on the 3500 / Termignon T-bars being pressed into service to save the autumn and indeed maybe staying in use through the season. The cable car looks like it might be useless other than for taking in the view and then coming back down in it.
snow report
Quote:
The cable car looks like it might be useless other than for taking in the view and then coming back down in it
It could surely be used to traverse across to the Termignon T-bar?

The light isn't great on the current webcam view - but I can't spot the crack...

Presumably it affects both the red and the black runs from the top of the cable car Puzzled

snow conditions
I think if you traverse you will be bounded by a steep rocky outcrop and the crack. You have to ski down a short bit of the red run (Glacier) or black run (Descente) before you reach the arrival level of Termignon / 3500 and both pistes look like they have been sliced open by this crack.

If you go full-screen on the webcam you can then scroll/zoom in. If I am figuring it correctly, in the pic you posted @mountainaddict, the crack lines up with roughly where the parallel cables appear to vanish into the black mountain.
snow report
Oh dear bobski62...Sounds like a worst case scenario, if ever there was one Sad
snow conditions
It does seem pretty grim. Let's see what comes back from the meeting @chocksaway mentioned...
snow conditions
When we were out in Tignes over the whole of August, we took every chance to peek at the glacier with our binoculars, there's a good view of it from Col de la Leisse, so we watched some people on the summit for a while and just looked at the glacier for a while longer - it's in such a sad state and most of the glaciers are. I had an old map that was part of the print run published according to 1975 data (which now tops an upcycled unit), and we have a new one published with 2006 data, the 2006 map shows in yellow where the glaciers were in 1975 - quite a few of those 1975 galciers do not exist anymore so there's just a patch of yellow on the map and 'glacier ancien' is written, it's shocking to see how many have shrunk by as much as they have.
snow report
I had my first summer trip to Tignes in 1986, the glacier covered all of the rock in the foreground of the webcam image posted by mountainaddict and went down to where the Vanoise chair starts now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy