Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to the alps and COVID

Poster: A snowHead
So we're driving to France next Feb, got the tunnel booked and looking at s/c accommodation at the minute.
I'm the only driver (taking the wife and 2 kids), so what would happen if I were to get COVID whilst over there? . . . .I'm guessing I would end up in a covid hotel and my wife and kids would have to find a flight home, any more thoughts on this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There’s no requirement to test on the way home for fully vaccinated adults (or the children thereof). And give that you will be self contained in a car, I don’t think you would be failing any moral duty to test either.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does your travel insurance cover you for a replacement driver?
On the basis that if you catch it maybe you become too ill to try return home?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rick34512, I wouldn't go skiing either as you might break a leg Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam wrote:

Yep keep the slopes quiet Eh oh! Eh oh! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't test = no problemo. Why would you given the consequences. Particularly when there is no need to any more if vaccinated-either legally or for public health.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam wrote:

Or even a finger nail.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rick34512, are you vaccinated?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
telford_mike wrote:
@rick34512, are you vaccinated?

Yeah we will all be vaccinated by the time we go, didn't realise the rules had changed, thought we would have to provide a test of some description to get back into the UK.
So does sound a bit more promising
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Legitimate question, given the OP has driving and also parental responsibilities to consider. Agree with snowhound response above, now the testing requirement has been dropped, logistics much easier. Have a great trip rick34512.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Where you guys seeing the testing requirements have been dropped?
On gov website it's still saying you need a day 2 test??
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rick34512, you are right, at the moment if you are vaccinated and coming back from a non-red country you still need to do a test in the UK by day 2 after your return , currently a PCR but signalled to be changed to a Lateral flow prior to end of half term.

Previously you also had to do a test PRIOR to your return as well, which I think is what the other posts are referring to as this pre-return test is no longer needed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ster, yes exactly so. That is what I was referring to. If you test positive after you are back then non of the problems of the OP apply.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ster wrote:
@rick34512, you are right, at the moment if you are vaccinated and coming back from a non-red country you still need to do a test in the UK by day 2 after your return , currently a PCR but signalled to be changed to a Lateral flow prior to end of half term.

Previously you also had to do a test PRIOR to your return as well, which I think is what the other posts are referring to as this pre-return test is no longer needed.

Nice one, that makes it a bit clearer, thanks all for your help
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rick34512, your questions from the OP have been answered above, BUT

The bigger issue I'ld be worried about (well am worried about) is whether travel into France and access to lifts will be possible dependant on the age of your kids.

There is the possibility of lifts coming under Pass Sanitaire, and additionally I am concerned that entry to France for over 12's might go from negative tested to Pass Sanitaire.

Currently UK kids between 12 and 15 fall into a black hole regards Pass Sanitaire if the negative tested option if changed to fully vaxed.
snow report
@midgetbiker, Bang on and it is something which the main media do not seem to have picked up on yet. Which is surprising given it will affect hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of families. 16 and 17 year olds can't get a double vaccination either unless they have underlying conditions.
snow report
@midgetbiker, I thought the french government made an announcement a week or so ago that ski lifts would probably not require the pass sanitaire. In the worst case they did one would have to pay for a test in a pharmacy for the teens every 72 hours.

Although it would obviously be a whole lot better if UK teens were given the option of the double jab. It seems unfair on families that we are going to be liable for extra costs as a result of the gov not giving the double vaccination option.

To go back to the OP I would just check that you have good travel insurance in the event anyone in your family gets covid.

Whilst generally it would not be a problem that you are the only driver, if you were to injure yourself skiing would your wife be willing to drive home? If not maybe your insurance would cover repatriation of the car.
ski holidays
@snowymum, there is an expectation that the testing to get Pass Sanitaire will be dropped (also recovery plus one jab) to leave just double jabbed able to get Pass Sanitaire.
latest report
@midgetbiker, Where did you hear this?
ski holidays
Skipedia On Twitter

French ski lifts will open this winter, with no Pass Sanitaire required, if the health situation allows, according to Secretary of State for Tourism Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne
https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/maladie/coronavirus/pass-sanitaire/stations-de-ski-reouverture-des-remontees-mecaniques-cet-hiver-et-probablement-sans-pass-sanitaire_4790365.html
latest report
@snowymum, I can’t see anything that backs this up on Google. I hope it doesn’t transpire to be true otherwise the skiing holiday Will extremely one dimensional!
snow report
@snowymum, about five posts down in this thread of mine on the subject https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156514&highlight= @under a new name says that @davidof is of the belief this will happen. I certainly also hope it is untrue. I also hope that a) recovery plus one jab stays as a PS pass, and b) that I find some way to lodge that on PS for my 15year old daughter (of whom it will be true by Xmas). Failing that I hope neg tests stay as a PS pass, but I can see the logic in the French gov withdrawing it as an option in order to drive the vax programme forward.

I hope all the above as I just had a rush of optimism and spanked €2k on ski passes in the last half hour.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 11-10-21 16:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@boredsurfin, I think the "if the health situation allows" pretty much covers it. @davidof and others have said there will be a decision in the next few weeks.
latest report
les menuires website is showing this
https://lesmenuires.com/en/covid

pass sanitaire not required for lifts
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy