Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2021/2022 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All! Finally confident enough that our trip will be happening to come back on this page. Seriously can not wait!

@paulmags, If you're Morzine, Les Gets side, we're big fans of Nannon at the top of the Troncs lift and the Rossitaz just downslope from the top of La Rosta lift. On the Avoriaz side, we tend to have morning coffee in Plaine Dranse at a little chalet I can never remember the name of (under the Cornebois) and lunch at either restaurant half way down the Linga. We've stopped for lunch at the cafeteria at the top of La Folleuse, Morgins when we do the loop and it's always been good.

@MattJUK, A few years ago we asked Ricey from Ski Beyond to do odd the lessons for our boys with another family and it worked really well.https://skibeyond.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MattJUK, we used PDS Snowsport for individual private lessons - they definitely have availability first wk of March for 2 hr lessons.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MattJUK, first week of March is Paris holidays iirc. Ski schools will be busy but you should be able to find something. Maybe not a 2/3 hour slot on first morning though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi All. This is a another boring Covid question but I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere. I'm driving with the family from the UK to Champery over half term & I have got my head around the restrictions, requirements etc to drive through France and into Switzerland. We go every year and ski on both sides of the border. We also go back and forward across to Chatel from Switzerland to eat and shop etc.

My first question is - can we ski and drive freely across to France without having to show negative covid test results within last 24hrs (going into France) or 72hrs (returning to Switzerland)? We will have proof of vaccination but as Brits do you have to show negative tests also?

I know the road border crossing between Morgins & Chatel is rarely manned but I have been stopped before and I don't want to risk getting stuck in France. Also if we ski over the border and have any problems is our insurance valid?

Also- when driving back to the UK from Switzerland through France, will we need to show negative covid tests within the last 24hrs at the border to enter France again?

If anyone has any advice or recent experience of this I would be very grateful to hear about it!

Many thanks!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
joeshrimp wrote:
Hi All. This is a another boring Covid question but I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere. I'm driving with the family from the UK to Champery over half term & I have got my head around the restrictions, requirements etc to drive through France and into Switzerland. We go every year and ski on both sides of the border. We also go back and forward across to Chatel from Switzerland to eat and shop etc.

My first question is - can we ski and drive freely across to France without having to show negative covid test results within last 24hrs (going into France) or 72hrs (returning to Switzerland)? We will have proof of vaccination but as Brits do you have to show negative tests also?

I know the road border crossing between Morgins & Chatel is rarely manned but I have been stopped before and I don't want to risk getting stuck in France. Also if we ski over the border and have any problems is our insurance valid?

Also- when driving back to the UK from Switzerland through France, will we need to show negative covid tests within the last 24hrs at the border to enter France again?

If anyone has any advice or recent experience of this I would be very grateful to hear about it!

Many thanks!

You do not need to show an LTF at Morgins as you are crossing from a border region. Crossing at Vallorbe will also be fine as you are crossing from CH and not U.K. (rules based on where you are coming from and not nationality). We crossed to and from Châtel over Christmas (during the ban - we were already in France) and never stopped including driving back to U.K. via Vallorbe border.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MattJUK wrote:
We're a group of six travelling to Avoriaz in the first week in March. Two of us are experienced, the other four are beginners.

All of the beginners have had lessons in the UK. For what it's worth they look fairly confident on the indoor UK slopes (slow but early parallel turns, control speed well etc).

I'm fully aware that there's a jump from the indoor slopes in the UK to the real thing on the mountain and therefore I'm looking to get them booked in for 2/3 hours of private tuition on their first day of skiing. Essentially to try and transition them onto real snow, a real mountain etc.

I thought hiring a instructor for a few hours would be relatively straightforward, however most of schools seemed geared up for multiple days and don't seem to cater for one off sessions.

Is there anyone who could give me some pointers?

Thanks

What you want shouldn't be an issue - for EFS in Avoriaz it would be https://www.ski-school-avoriaz.co.uk/adults/individual-lesson/ (see the "Extra person : +10€/person/lesson").

It's quite possible the website's only configured to handle the general group lessons as there are too many variables with private lessons, which could be anything from 'learn to snowplow' to 'learn to land a 720'. Drop the ski school an email.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ozboy thats brilliant. Thanks very much for the info. Really helpful
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@paulmags, Les Mouilles - we ate here several times during our last visit (2020 mind). Cute little place, great food, quiet, reasonably priced, good outdoor (suntrap) and indoor seating. Owners also used to have a St Bernard wandering around the place! Located right next to the bottom of Les Mouilles chair. Good place if you have kids as they can mess about without hoards of skiers blasting around as it is not on the main drag.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fantastic. Thanks @davejsy & @snowfraise.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This thread appears to have deviated from weather & snow conditions, so hope it's ok to ask this here:

Can anyone recommend someone for a private 1-2-1 lesson for 2 hours for intermediate/advanced skier please?

Same question for another person who is a good beginner (can parallel, confident on red groomers, needs help in choppier stuff).

Edit - in Avoriaz.

TIA.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lionel Reymond - https://www.morzineskimtb.com/index.php/en/10-synergie-ski-school-gb/28-lionel-reymond-ski-instructor
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arriving in chatel Saturday, weather looks cracking for next week… how’s the snow holding up?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BobinCH wrote:
2 new pistes in Portes du Soleil snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/fdc0PRxZnx4

Nice. Are these firsts? Can't believe the first one is. Way too easy. Second is gnarly for sure and needs exquisite conditions. I wonder how steep it is really. And one perception, if you watch closely, you can see tracks of three skiers. Either one of them went twice or there were three guys on the mountain. Does anyone know?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tristero wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
2 new pistes in Portes du Soleil snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/fdc0PRxZnx4

Nice. Are these firsts? Can't believe the first one is. Way too easy. Second is gnarly for sure and needs exquisite conditions. I wonder how steep it is really. And one perception, if you watch closely, you can see tracks of three skiers. Either one of them went twice or there were three guys on the mountain. Does anyone know?

Okay, found it myself. Little Angel

Both are on skitour.fr and get skied regularly. The first, Dent Jaune, is only 4.2 E2 and must be looking like a ski piste most of the time. https://skitour.fr/topos/1732

The second is clearly tougher at 5.2 E2, but nothing unheard of for experienced skiers. Have a look at the number of the tracks at the bottom! https://skitour.fr/topos/2822

I don't want to be naggy, but let's face it, their biggest achievement was to catch them in mint conditions and bring a drone. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone current in, or have been recently, in Morzine?? Just wondering what the current snow/piste/lift conditions were? Advice on good runs at present?

Also if anyone has restaurant/bar recommendation? (sorry if that Q is for the other thread)
ski holidays
@Roscoe, +1 would love some reports of current snow conditions in PDS. Slightly worried about thinning and very hard snow in the Alps right now from some reports.
latest report
It does need some fresh snow. Areas without snow cannon and in the sun are getting sketchy (e.g. Morgins Corbeau sector) with muddy bits appearing. The main runs are still fine and it was great today in the sun. Cold when the cloud rolled in around 1530. We haven’t been off piste but looks a bit thin in many areas. The trick this week has been to pick the right aspect at right time of day. Hardly anyone around and virtually no queuing.

Some forecasts suggesting a bit of fresh overnight. It would be welcome.
ski holidays
Gorgeous day again today in Les Gets/Morzine. With temperature at -7c first thing this morning Arbis was perfectly groomed and hard. Managed both first person up the lift and then second. Loved it. All pistes except those leading to the Atray lift in beautiful condition, a couple of nasty ice patches on the Retour du Nants.
As an on piste skier it is one of the best January weeks I've ever had here. Off piste looks tracked out, hard and icy.
Big disappointment the halfway point up to Pointe de Nyon is no more so will miss the beautiful ice carvings.
26 runs, 8,000 vertical and 50k ski distance. A great day.
snow report
Thanks - good to hear! here's hoping for a top up soon
ski holidays
Very light dusting in Chatel which will make no difference to the pistes (or off piste). Off to bed now, hope for a bit more by morning but not holding my breath.
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
Very light dusting in Chatel which will make no difference to the pistes (or off piste). Off to bed now, hope for a bit more by morning but not holding my breath.

Same in Les Gets
snow report
I guess around 1cm up top (might be less) and piste conditions unchanged. Pretty cloudy and a bit colder. We dodged a bullet by being a few back in the queue when Grand Combes lift stopped. By the time we went down to Prodains, up the big gondola and looked across it was still not moving so a chilly wait for those on the chair. Pretty quiet everywhere.
snow conditions
What's the apres & evening drinks sitch like? Do the rules around not standing in bars mean you've got to book in advance, or is it quiet enough to be able to walk in?
latest report
How is it in PDS last few days/today?
Considering a train day trip via Champery.
What's a good plan for the day starting and ending in Champery for a strong intermediate?

Would you suggest starting in a different resort on the Swiss side for a nice day trip?
latest report
@klanfa, you could easily do the circuit
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

Best anticlockwise. You really dont want to ski Morgins Corbeau sector at the moment
ski holidays
@DJL, what's the problem?
latest report
DJL wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Best anticlockwise. You really dont want to ski Morgins Corbeau sector at the moment

As somebody who's never been to PDS and couldn't really see the "Corbeau" part on the ski map, why is that? Bad conditions i.e. lack of snow right now?

I'm in Geneva so I'm considering a trip to La Clusaz or Les Carroz as an alternative too...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:

Mud mainly and pistes down to the village closed.
snow report
Very busy in LG today.

The cold spell helps despite the lack of new snow: it's perfectly fine on the pistes (I even managed to ski Arbis for once, usually the boy takes me on Creux or off piste below the lift), but hopefully some new powder comes in next week for a bit more fun.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

The snow is pretty crap and Morzine is full of geezers on blokes skiing holidays. I preferred it last year.
snow conditions
@zzz, whereas today we just had Sunday nutters skiing too fast for their own, and my, good rolling eyes
snow conditions
DJL wrote:

Best anticlockwise.

Clearly a big fan of doing The Wall - R.E.S.P.E.C.T
snow conditions
I note that the Black from Mossettes lift down into Les Crosets was not marked this weekend, only the red piste.
It looked like the excavators had been taking snow from there, presumably to keep the red piste in good nick.
Hopefully they'll re-instate it after the next big dump.
Didn't notice loads of blokey groups around the mini PLJ - Les Crosets - Avoriaz circuit this weekend, maybe they were over in the tourist sector of Pleney - Les Gets.
ski holidays
klanfa wrote:
DJL wrote:
under a new name wrote:

As somebody who's never been to PDS and couldn't really see the "Corbeau" part on the ski map, why is that? Bad conditions i.e. lack of snow right now?

I'm in Geneva so I'm considering a trip to La Clusaz or Les Carroz as an alternative too...

Bit further by train but Verbier pistes were still in excellent shape this weekend
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
klanfa wrote:
DJL wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Bit further by train but Verbier pistes were still in excellent shape this weekend

I think Verbier is a great call at the moment.
snow conditions
Corduroy rules ko

http://youtube.com/v/_zRw2wuyezg
ski holidays
If anyone was in the area at the weekend, have they opened the black under Chaux-des-rosees yet in Plaine Dranse? Thanks.
snow report
WindOfChange wrote:
DJL wrote:

Best anticlockwise.

Clearly a big fan of doing The Wall - R.E.S.P.E.C.T

I have been known to take the chair down Embarassed
ski holidays
doddsie wrote:
If anyone was in the area at the weekend, have they opened the black under Chaux-des-rosees yet in Plaine Dranse? Thanks.

It was closed on Thursday last week but plenty of people were skiing it. Some also appeared on the shoulder just below the lift and appeared to have some sort of death wish as they side slipped towards the cliff above the piste!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy