Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2021/2022 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
That’s impressive, thanks both. Was just a bit concerned about the lack of new snow for a while till recently and that there’s now a dry (but nice!) forecast.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hopefully arriving Sunday morning - everything crossed !! - how busy is Les Gets atm - do we need to book restarants before we come out ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Always worth booking Grande Ourse.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone have any good suggestions for a taxi company from Geneva to Morgins?

Have been quoted €550 return, which isn't too bad but wondering if there may be cheaper options.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hcavenagh, That’s on the steep side. You could try Rubin Taxi in Châtel. We pay €430 for that trip after hours. It’s €170 each way during the day. Should not be much more as it’s only a a few extra kms. You could also get a train to Aigle directly from the airport and catch a local taxi from there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks I’ll try and contact them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@hcavenagh, train airport to Troistorrents (change at Aigle) bus to Morgins if it fits your timings.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DJL, +1 Done this a couple of times, works well and is a nice journey, especially the cog.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My whinging about Chaux Fleurie continues, it didn't even open this morning. Son waited an hour and then had to cancel his lesson.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@doddsie, was it windy?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No, electrical failure apparently. The lift seems to have had a non weather related issue on over 50% of the mornings this year.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone familiar with Les Crosets? we go next week and have an apartment near the lifts and from what I can tell it is a quiet resort which suits us fine but does anyone know if there is anywhere for an evening drink if the notion takes us?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Binked, There's a bar by the Grande Conche and 8 man lift called le Caveau de Somebody or Other and a Steakhouse, and a Creperie by the big hotel by the car park.
But really you're 25 years too late, as the best bar Ev's: the legendary Sundance closed its doors a fair while ago.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@WindOfChange thanks that is great information as long as there is somewhere, we are just delighted to be getting on skis again .. we had decided we would go even if the bars were closed!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello everyone.
Excited to be going to Champery Saturday morning. We bailed on our usual Morzine trip (If only we had a crystal ball) We are not familiar staying this side of PDS. Does anyone know if I buy prepaid train tickets from the airport for specific train time, am I able to use them for later train if plane late etc. Does anyone know if there is a reliable resort bus from train station as don’t fancy lugging cases 1.3km up hill to the apartment.
Also any tips things to do with a 2 year old? Especially if anywhere for sledging in the village.
Shame to hear about some lifts not running. Fingers crossed we can get over to Avoriaz without too many delays. Thanks in advance Eh oh!
snow conditions
No the supersaver tickets are train specific and are closely checked
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, Sundance was defo open in the last 20 years ... certainly not recently however.
snow report
Thanks that’s helpful won’t risk buying a specific time then and hope train got spare seats.
snow report
You’ll always get seats from the airport as that’s where the train starts from. If you download the SBB app the timetable gives you an estimate of how busy the train will be.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@WindOfChange, Sundance was defo open in the last 20 years ... certainly not recently however.

Those leather skirts.....

Must have been freezing serving the outside tables. snowHead
ski holidays
hi everyone,
Has anyone driven from Chatel through the border at Morgin to ski on the Swiss side or to Aigle to meet the train. If so were there any border checks made?
latest report
@PDSB11, I was stopped in November, passport and driving licence checked.
ski holidays
PDSB11 wrote:
hi everyone,
Has anyone driven from Chatel through the border at Morgin to ski on the Swiss side or to Aigle to meet the train. If so were there any border checks made?

In normal times it happens very rarely (if there is someone on duty) but can happen, as can stops a bit further down the hill by Swiss douaniers with an ad hoc road block.

Given the hassle to get across under the channel (forms, tests, etc. etc.) we changed our usual route to avoid CH and went via Bourg en Bresse, Nantua, Annemasse and up the valley from Thonon. Longish day but now installed in the apartment with a glass of wine. Very quiet all the way (apart from Annemasse, as ever) but some thick fog. Clear sky and -3C in Chatel.

Anyone around?
ski holidays
Hi

Any suggestions for a Taxi place if we get the train to Aigle then taxi to Morgins?

Cheers
ski holidays
Quick report from Les Gets. Arrived 5pm yesterday, never seen LG so busy. Traffic down into Taninges was queued for 2 miles. Glorious sunshine on hard piste softening a little later in the day.
No PS checks on lifts but rigorous in bars etc. Mask wearing a bit hit and miss.
Greeted by name by bar staff at our normal lunch stop. Pretty impressive after 2 years since we were last here. First round on the house Eh oh! . They are overjoyed to have the English back.
5 tables occupied in the restaurant tonight 3 English.
latest report
Kicked off with a gentle introduction. 1200 start at La Chapelle Braitaz. No request for vax proof at ticket, kiosk, any lift or the restaurant at the top. Mask wearing/checking conspicuous by absence except in restaurant. Pretty quiet with the only queue when we coincided with an ESS group of littlies at the bottom drag in Torgon (which I then proceeded to fall off much to my kids amusement Embarassed ).

Snow a bit thin in places but wall to wall sunshine. What more do you need?

Headline on an inside page of the Dauphiné welcoming the Brits back. Slightly surprised by the number of GB (or is it U.K.) plates in the village.

Our concierge told us the Gendarmes had been up to a neighbouring block (I saw their car parked) checking on Brit quarantiners!
ski holidays
@DJL, Arrived in La Chapelle this evening. We were going to stop over around Dijon but having made good time we decided to carry on, and like you thought about heading over to Vallorbe and then thought about how long the return detour would be if we got turned back at the border! (LFTs taken Friday night in Scotland prior to Eurotunnel Saturday evening.)

I don't enjoy the motorway from Bourg E B to Annemasse, but only took around 10 mins longer.
latest report
Matt1959 wrote:
@DJL, Arrived in La Chapelle this evening. We were going to stop over around Dijon but having made good time we decided to carry on, and like you thought about heading over to Vallorbe and then thought about how long the return detour would be if we got turned back at the border! (LFTs taken Friday night in Scotland prior to Eurotunnel Saturday evening.)

I don't enjoy the motorway from Bourg E B to Annemasse, but only took around 10 mins longer.

We did the same and avoided Vallorbe on way down. Not much time difference as you say like you I find the tunnel/viaduct motorway section very stressful as it comes when I am starting to get tired. Much prefer the 80kph pootle cross-country and stopping at the cheese shop on the left in Jogne to stock up on Mt D’Or cheese and Arbois wine. Conditions are currently amazingly - enjoy!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DJL wrote:

Our concierge told us the Gendarmes had been up to a neighbouring block (I saw their car parked) checking on Brit quarantiners!

Perhaps I am being a bit dim but why would they be quarantining?
ski holidays
@zzz, Something on Facebook too. Seems that people who travelled soon after the restrictions were lifted had to upload the earlier version forms to Eurotunnel. The Gendarmes weren't convinced the rules had changed!
latest report
zzz wrote:
DJL wrote:

Perhaps I am being a bit dim but why would they be quarantining?

I thought they may have come in pre 14 Jan, or perhaps were not fully vaxxed. There was some talk of Carte de Sejour in another context so they may have come in without motifs imperieux but at that point my French was at the limit of my ability. The gendarmes car was certainly outside their block.
snow report
On happier matters wall to wall blue sky again.
snow conditions
And very few people Very Happy
snow report
Has anyone used AlpinBus recently? Or recommend a reliable transfer outfit for a GVA to Les Gets private transfer please?
snow conditions
Am using Action Transfers from Geneva to Morzine for 7 private transfer on 29th Jan - cost is 460E. They were fine last time (but that was 2 years ago) Shock
ski holidays
simonmj66 wrote:
Am using Action Transfers from Geneva to Morzine for 7 private transfer on 29th Jan - cost is 460E. They were fine last time (but that was 2 years ago) Shock
Thank you, will contact them.
snow report
Skied the Cret Beni side of La Chapelle today. Blue sky but surprising amount of shade (sun hiding behind Mont de Grange) very quiet, perfectly groomed pistes and enough snow though the odd patch was showing some wear and some pistes closed due to lack of snow. Needs a good dump really.
snow conditions
Hurrah, we arrive on Saturday. Fingers crossed for some more snow as you say but we’ll have a good and big ski in any case.
Just wonder if anyone can suggest some tasty lunch stops that are worth a try?
latest report
We're a group of six travelling to Avoriaz in the first week in March. Two of us are experienced, the other four are beginners.

All of the beginners have had lessons in the UK. For what it's worth they look fairly confident on the indoor UK slopes (slow but early parallel turns, control speed well etc).

I'm fully aware that there's a jump from the indoor slopes in the UK to the real thing on the mountain and therefore I'm looking to get them booked in for 2/3 hours of private tuition on their first day of skiing. Essentially to try and transition them onto real snow, a real mountain etc.

I thought hiring a instructor for a few hours would be relatively straightforward, however most of schools seemed geared up for multiple days and don't seem to cater for one off sessions.

Is there anyone who could give me some pointers?

Thanks
latest report
Quote:

Or recommend a reliable transfer outfit for a GVA to Les Gets private transfer please?

I can recommend Mountain Lifts. Used them several times to go from Geneva to PdS and Grand Massif.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy