Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2021/2022 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Ozboy - I’ve been on lifts with Julian a couple of times in the last week, when he’s had one little girl with him. Guessing it was your daughter as Pierre knew her. Yes we’ve had Julian fill in for Pierre a couple of times, when Pierre was working at the youth Olympics, my son liked him as well. Pierre is teaching my son this year, but he’s his only student, as he’s working as a physio most of the time.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’m glad we came home on Xmas eve and didn't stay til NY as i am a very fair weather skier. Hoping we get a good top up before mid Jan when we are next down. At the moment all i get is severe rain warnings for Champery from Meteo Suisse
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
doddsie wrote:
Ozboy - I’ve been on lifts with Julian a couple of times in the last week, when he’s had one little girl with him. Guessing it was your daughter as Pierre knew her. Yes we’ve had Julian fill in for Pierre a couple of times, when Pierre was working at the youth Olympics, my son liked him as well. Pierre is teaching my son this year, but he’s his only student, as he’s working as a physio most of the time.

Yea that was my youngest 7yo - she remembers meeting you!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,

Apologies if this question has already been asked, me and a group of 7 our due to stay in Chatel from 22nd to 29th Jan, however due to current French restrictions we may change our accommodation to stay in Morgins in Switzerland.

Can you currently ski from the Swiss side to the French side? We will all be coming from the UK.

Thanks

Harry
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hcavenagh, yes you can ski over to France and vice versa unrestricted with the PDS pass.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks. Thinking it might just be worth changing our accommodation to Morgins, doesn't seem like France will change there restrictions too soon.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can't help feeling the genteel denizens of Morgins and Champery may be in for a bit of a shock this season.... Shocked snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If I (as a banned Brit) ski from Swiss side to French side in PDS will we get checked at lifts / piste restaurants on the French side?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@franga, Yes. You will be checked at every restaurant/bar for pass sanitaire or NHS equivalent, and occasionally at a lift. No one gives a monkeys if you are a Brit, banned or otherwise; you just need to prove your vaccine status, like everyone else.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another good day out in Les Gets today despite the afternoon snow a bit mushy - it's like April but in December, having to stop early came as a shock.

More Dutch overheard, as well as Russian and even German, than English, that sure was odd. Lots of French tourists too.

Plenty of people without masks in queues and even in a TC Confused it's like they just gave up. We even found a restaurant where nobody checked our pass. And then we all wonder why we can't slow down the pandemic...

(on the plus side we finally got hold of oh so very practical Covid-certified LG/PdS buffs)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shep wrote:
@franga, Yes. You will be checked at every restaurant/bar for pass sanitaire or NHS equivalent, and occasionally at a lift. No one gives a monkeys if you are a Brit, banned or otherwise; you just need to prove your vaccine status, like everyone else.
Thank you very much.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@patrick!, we were there at Christmas and everyone was wearing them on lifts. I suspect its more the NY clientele than ‘everyone giving up’.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Same general feeling in Avo today, but I do hope you're correct. La Folie Douce seems to keep things a bit quieter than at other times, it's January 1st after all. HNY all!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My observation today was not many people wearing masks and lifties didn’t seem to care/weren’t enforcing it. Quite a difference to Laax the other week.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jonm wrote:
My observation today was not many people wearing masks and lifties didn’t seem to care/weren’t enforcing it. Quite a difference to Laax the other week.
Hopefully that won't create a cluster that the media can link to PdS in any way, there are people's living endangered by one or two idiots not playing by the rules...
snow conditions
jonm wrote:

We also noticed this while in Chatel for 2 weeks over the holidays. Covid pass was never checked to ride a lift and I am only aware of consistent checks on the Linga gondola. Mask wearing was haphazard. Mountain restaurants were checking covid passes at the start but it did wane over time. Village restaurant were consistently checking. There are now many cases with restaurants and the local pool / spa unable to open due to Covid staff shortages.
ski holidays
They were checking covid passes in the queue for the Pleney gondola today. A couple got in with us and the guy wasn’t wearing a mask, until I asked him to…
ski holidays
patrick! wrote:
jonm wrote:
Hopefully that won't create a cluster that the media can link to PdS in any way, there are people's living endangered by one or two idiots not playing by the rules...

I really don't believe mask wearing (or not) in these situations is going to create any sort of cluster.
snow report
Surely there are other threads to express outrage / virtue signalling / neuroticism. The lifties not wearing masks, oh my god we are all going to die, some restaurants not checking the useless pass....IDIOTS.....whatever. I might even get involved in a polite conversation about the world being gripped by mass formation psychosis (trending)...but not on this thread.

Can we keep it to snow conditions and general PdS skiing related.

Avoriaz was good fun today, still full of dutch. Found nice untracked snow to skiers left top of Chaux Fleurie, and head high powder spray on that steep off piste area under Grands Coombes below.
Pistes themselves were a little rough as it snowed (graupel) most of the morning.

IMG-2611
snow report
polo wrote:
Surely there are other threads to express outrage / virtue signalling / neuroticism. The lifties not wearing masks, oh my god we are all going to die, some restaurants not checking the useless pass....IDIOTS.....whatever. I might even get involved in a polite conversation about the world being gripped by mass formation psychosis (trending)...but not on this thread.

Can we keep it to snow conditions and general PdS skiing related.

Avoriaz was good fun today, still full of dutch. Found nice untracked snow to skiers left top of Chaux Fleurie, and head high powder spray on that steep off piste area under Grands Coombes below.
Pistes themselves were a little rough as it snowed (graupel) most of the morning.

IMG-2611

Sorry Polo don’t agree - this thread is about all things PDS and never been limited to just snow. The observations posted relate to skiing experience in PDS. In any case I respect your views in regards to the sanitary measures what ever they may be but this is an open forum.
snow report
@Ozboy, yes every thread is open, and refreshingly un-moderated as far as I can tell.....but technically this is "Snow reports - weather - snow conditions"

Surely there is a point to the various thread / group titles.....but again am not actually bothered. Just a thought.
snow report
@polo, all good Smile
snow report
@Ozboy, we had a "PDS not-the-weather" thread in Resort Reviews and Trip Reports at one time. Idea being to keep all the other stuff in one place. It soon filled up with people asking how the snow was and if the weather outlook was favourable. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
My take, for what it's worth, is this place is for all things PdS, weather, snow, or other PdS specific nonsense Toofy Grin. Covid, mask-wearing, travel rules, Brexshit, is all (exhaustively!) catered for elsewhere, and none of these topics or issues are exclusive to the PdS.

Let's have somewhere where we can get away from all that worthy but tedious bs, please! snowHead
snow report
@shep, "Let's have somewhere where we can get away from all that worthy but tedious bs"

Hallelujah, Joy to the World ala Chevy Chase .....it's probably not possible here, am just as likely to slink away quietly into the Les Gets mist.....don't seem to have much in common with the 99% on here, apart from the obvious snow-weather link.

Maybe there is hope for common sense to prevail at some point.

Is anyone left in Holland? Apart from all the cars and large groups, I passed 3 groups following Dutch speaking instructors.
While I'm on a rant....when is Avoriaz going to sort out a new Tour lift....even by 10:30 this morning the only lift open over there was Stade.....Fornet, Lac Interets and Tour were all closed. Queue errrm, enormous queues.....I spent 30 mins trying to get on Tour to get over to Lindarets, having left home staring at a completely empty Mont Chery (not a single skier coming down by 915).

Love Avoriaz, but I've had so many slow days starting at Prodains and then stuck at Tour. It's all good once they open up and everyone spreads out....but they need a new lift there. Ardent always a hassle-free start in comparison.
ski holidays
Looking forward to returning to ski here in march hopefully. Yes up from ardent is a good start for getting to linderets Chantel and Swiss side. What are the new lift and run higher up the valley towards mossettes like?
snow report
Hey @polo, don't bail, I love your posts and your enthusiasm for getting up the hill Madeye-Smiley. These are extraordinary times but one day soon the forum will settle back down and be all about the skiing again, just keep the faith!

No-one is going home to Holland until their lockdown ends Twisted Evil

Not sure the problem is the Tour lift per se (unless it was wind related?), more likely pingdemic staff shortages maybe? I'm sure you know you can get over using the Boulevard chair and Chapelle drag when the Tour isn't running? Slow but it gets you there snowHead .
latest report
@polo, isn't the old chair along the boulevard still there?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@shep, cheers

I didn't know there was another way out....thanks, will try next time. Viz was shocking until midday....a bit of wind, but not much, and didn't seem to be avi - snow related closures.
Tour, once it did finally start up, it kept stopping every few minutes....they are struggling for sure.

@MHskier, been over there a few times recently and the new lifts are a great addition.....but today Cases and Mossettes were both closed...it's a great area though, relatively quiet, long reds and nice restaurants at Brochaux and a lot of directional choice.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 5-01-22 22:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@shep, @under a new name,

Which one is the Tour lift? Was it the old 3 man with the exhibitionist , self pleasuring holiday maker from about 1989?
ski holidays
@zzz, Yes that's the one. I still think of the current chair as "new"!

Wern't me guvnor, I always kept the curtains closed when performing on that side of the Club Med building, honest! Shocked Skullie wink
snow report
I think the Avo Club Med is no more - my mates were there last week and it's now a Belhambra.

We also faced an annoying queue at the dreaded Le Tour TSD, the thing is, when arriving late from the lake, you have no choice (we missed the last lifts up towards Arare that would take us back to Boulevard des Skieurs). Funnily enough later on we also ended up there, but this time having to walk back up to get to Prodains as all lifts were closed. The 4yo was not impressed.

Back to the weather... it's winter again in the Alps! With the new snow from Tuesday night, Wednesday was the day to enjoy Mont Chery. My boy came back with a grin, they cancelled training and went on leisure skiing the whole afternoon.

It looks like today should be amazing too, until more white stuff Fri Sat.
snow report
@shep, have I not told you that tale?

Lovely young lady having a lot of fun on her own and waving at the passers by as she enjoyed herself? Extraordinary behaviour.
latest report
Top 3 lift tips for Avoriaz to avoid 3 big queues Prodains / Tour / Lac Interets.
If you're gonna drive, instead of driving up to Prodains and paying to park and queuing for the Gondola, drive 2/3 the way up, and park at the little car park by the bottom of Zorre, it's free and theres no queue. Also this avoids Tour if you're heading to Lindarets as Proclou takes you up to the Crete.
To access the Arare sector easily, instead of queueing to use Lac Interets, ski down Crot towards Prodains, but only halfway, and come back up on Grand Combes. You can loop this instead of going down into the Tour / Lac bowl each time.
The boulevard de skieurs lift followed by the board park will also get you up instead of Tour, but also you can use the public elevators in the buildings to get you up to the town centre, and then take the baby drags through town to the plateau from where either the board park lift or Proclou will get you up to Crete.
Conditions look amazing today btw....
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, great tips, Crot-Combes is a reliable one, will try the other two at some point.....never thought of using elevators, inside info of the highest quality
ski holidays
The Tour lift was always referred to by our family and visiting friends as the bonking lift as it travels so close to the windows….. there was one occasion a few years ago when some of our lot got stuck on it for a while as there was a fire in one of the apartments and the lift was stopped for a while. They had a ringside view - of the fire and smoke.
We rarely drove to Prodains, usually Ardent or as @WindOfChange, says the small car park by the top of the Super Morzine bubble/Zorre lift.
snow conditions
My lift rant is Chaux Fleurie. Only once in the last 3 weeks have I arrived there in the morning and it be open and running. Longest wait was 45 mins one morning and my wife had to wait 30 mins this morning. It's supposed to open ant 9:00 and I normally arrive at about 9:15. I've only had a problem with Tour one morning and I did the chair up past Aquariaz as described above instead.
ski holidays
Did anyone buy lift passes in the black Friday sale and been able to alter the dates at all? We bought for next week but as we aren't allowed in I wondered if it was worth asking them to move them on a week (being ever hopeful) or if it would be a pointless exercise. Terms were non refundable, we were pretty confident of coming at the time hence taking the offer!
latest report
polo wrote:
@WindOfChange, great tips, Crot-Combes is a reliable one, will try the other two at some point.....never thought of using elevators, inside info of the highest quality
Ditto - cheers for the tip. It'll remind us of Val Tho!
ski holidays
Crot-Combes is the way to go. As we come down the Boulevard we stop outside the Prodains arrival and glance left. Any hint of a queue down there and it is off down Crot
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy