Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach Accomodation Help

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for help/ ideas on accommodation not too far from Shattberg Xpress lift. Having never been we are finding it difficult to judge accommodation distance when looking at Airbnb etc. Friends are staying in Saalbach Hof hotel but it’s outwith our budget - well also a lot to do with a 14 year old fussy eater that it would also be wasted on! On that note self catering would be ideal for us but open to options. So it’s just 2 adults and a 14 year old. Any recommendations greatly appreciated but I’m thinking they all may be expensive in that area?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gilly28, try searching accommodation on www.Saalbach.com there is a whole range available. The Saalbacherhof is quite central in Saalbach, everywhere is quite close together.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Everything in the village centre is close to the Schattberg. Most (not all) self catered options will be little further out though. Why close to the Schattberg lift especially? It could be argued that others offer greater access to a higher proportion of pistes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@hammerite, Mainly as we don’t have a clue about the resort, and thought be best to be near where friends are staying. Wouldn’t know where else to look.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Yorksboy, Thanks having a look at that.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Hotel Koenig is really nice - good food, comfortable and no more than a 5 minute walk to the Schattberg lift. Nicely positioned for central Saalbach and, in a fair snow year one can just about ski back to the boot room (from the other side of Saalbach (Kohlmais etc).

https://www.hotelkoenig.at/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=gmb&utm_campaign=gmb_standort
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gilly28, ah ok. The village centre is pretty compact. It doesn’t take long to get anywhere. If you were near to the other two lifts you would still only be a few mins from your friends.

I can recommend the Hotel Panther. It backs onto the Kohlmais and is across the road from the Bernkogel. It’s a few mins to the Schattberg, with the Saalbacherfof on the way. You might end up with the same food problems for your 14yo in any hotel though. That said a good hotel will probably be able to knock something up based on their tastes - especially if you warn ahead of arrival. There aren’t many/any poor hotels in Saalbach.

If you want to go self catering, I’ve stayed here a few times in the summer http://schoene-aussicht.bigfoot-design.at/en/ - we were a family of 3 staying there (I say were because he’s grown up and does his own thing now!). It’s a lovely place to stay but a bit out of the way - like many apartmenthauses. It’d be worth asking on the Saalbach thread. Tatman has an apartment he rents out that is central but it depends on availability obviously.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gilly28, you don't say whether you plan to rent skis but if you do then they can be rented at the Schattberg lift and also stored there overnight. That isn't a bad place because the new piste means you can ski back to close to the lift and storage depot from a couple of different directions and the valley buses also stop there so if you end up anywhere else along the valley you can get back easily (I think the depot does close around 6 but you would need to check). If you don't mind walking there in the morning and onwards from there at the end of the day (whether back to your accommodation or more likely for a swift apres half) it may allow you to widen your search and find better value. We did that staying at Pension Enzian in 2020 and it worked well. It certainly didn't stop us trying bars around the village afterwards and meant our skis and boots were already stowed and secure.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 17-10-21 8:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gilly28, I also agree with @yorksboy, the accommodation search facility on the saalbach website is very useful
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@toyah807, We will be re ting for our son as he has outgrown all his gear through lockdown, so we are planning to rent for this holiday. We would hire lockers for our skis if possible, we did this for the first time in Soll (we have only skied in Austria twice) and found it so convenient.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gilly28, , Message this fellow snowheads member @tatmanstours,
He knows most things about saalbach and I rent 2 apartments through him a few years ago, so they maybe available?/
Like others have said its a compact village so nothing is to far
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gilly28, I’ll message you.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is worth looking on subweb as they can have some good deals with a lift pass thrown in
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we were in Saalbach March 2019 just before the big shut down....we stayed in the Mulk hotel, just on the main road past the Schattberg. i can highly recommend the hotel and its a lot cheaper than the ones in the pedestrian area. easy walk to the lift, maybe 6-7 mins in ski gear...or if feeling lazy get the bus...maybe 30s haha
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy