Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Live TR: Tignes by train 3-12 Dec 2021

Poster: A snowHead
@mgrolf, without trying to totally hijack your TR, a like for like comparison on my outward journey looks like this:

Yatton - London Paddington Dep 07:06 Arr 09:08 £22.90 (this is insanely cheap and must be because no one is travelling for work at the moment, that would ordinarily be £70+)

London Paddington - St Pancras Intl c.20 minutes £2.40

St Pancras Intl - Paris Gare du Nord Dep 10:22 Arr 13:47 £103

Paris Gare du Nord - Gare du Lyon c.10 minutes €1.90/£1.50

Gare du Lyon - Moutiers Dep 15:48 Arr 20:31 £43.79

Moutiers - Meribel €12/£10 assuming the bus times work with my train. Takes c.50 mins

So that journey is just over £180, which actually is fairly similar to flying and transfer, but realistically i'm leaving the house at 06:30 arriving in Meribel at 21:30 (20:30 UK time) so around 14 hours in total, so maybe an additional 5 or 6 hours vs flying.

It's quite a good alternative in this instance, albeit the ticket to London is particularly cheap, but i'll definitely look closely next year!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@swskier, interesting comparison (and don't worry about hijacking the thread, the main reason for writing the report is to help people see what a train journey could really look like).
I'm lucky that I don't have to pay for the eurostar, that seems to jack the costs up a lot relative to the length of the journey.

Meanwhile, I've left Copenhagen, in the wrong carriage but hopefully the right train. At the station, the boards said carriages 72 and 82 go to Hamburg; 71 stops partway at Kolding. My dear reservation is in 71. The guards confirmed this and pointed me forwards. As the train departed, the announcement said that carriages 82, 72 and 71 go to Hamburg. I'm confused Puzzled
For now I'm in the wrong seat but maybe the right carriage and no one has tried to claim the seat I'm in yet! Just over 3 hours to go to Hamburg, it's 15:41 and getting dark. No snow here, just grey and rainy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mgrolf, that Eurostar journey is the most expensive on the day, with the cheapest being £57, but is too late in the day. The most common fare is £86.

The £103 far does drop to £89.50 as part of a return, which is a small drop, but as you say, expensive for what is just over 2 hours on the train. Especially as the leg from Paris to Moutiers is 2.5x longer yet half the price.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great thread
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To add to the fun, I now need to get a PCR test before crossing into Switzerland tomorrow morning. No way that's happening so I keep my fingers crossed that the authorities aren't focused on the train as a major route in. My chances must be better than the majority of PSBers flying in to Geneva. Fingers crossed for them all.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My more mini train trip is going pretty smoothly. Eurostar had said to check in 2 hours before the train, so I did, but it was all very smooth and quite empty compared with normal times.

I found changing to Gare de Lyon a bit stressful - I allowed less than an hour between trains, sat at the exact wrong end of the Eurostar for the exit and had a queue at the ticket machine - but in the event it only took 30 mins, so I get to lurk outside for 10 mins and rest my sore ears (masks are a bit rubbish for long trips!)

I can never make the train work for cost or time either, but I do find it nicer. And in theory I can do 6 hours of work on the way, which I struggle to do flying. (Will probably be more like 3 in practice, as I think I'll give up and read a book on the next one.)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mgrolf, they said in the press conference Q&A that it wouldn’t apply to people who’d already left/were leaving this afternoon and arriving tomorrow morning. So I think you’re good even in the very unlikely event they do check the train.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You couldn't make this up...we've just all got off the train in Odense, walked 200m along the platform in the rain, hung around for a few minutes then got on a new train. The reason? Previous one wasn't licenced to travel in Germany. WTF? Shocked
It doesn't take much to look at the route and spot that Hamburg is not actually a Danish outpost, but well over the border into Germany. At least, it was last time I looked.

Still, transfer completed relatively smoothly. I did nearly lose it when a couple of girls started to get on (in Odense) whilst a father was trying to get two toddlers down the stairs and off the train. There were still at least half of the train left to get off. Luckily, "don't get on yet" doesn't really need translation here and they got back off again rapidly.

I'm now sitting across from my assigned seat, we're less than 10 minutes late and surely that's the fun over for a while?!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hope you get settled on your night train with less stress than the changes so far - and get into Switzerland PCR crisis free! Enjoy Tignes!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@always29, believe it or not, I'm not really stressed about all this. The only really tricky but would be if I miss my night train in Hamburg, and if that happens I'll either go with an overnight trip involving changes, or just book into a hotel for the night and think again in the morning. Because I left gaps, I've got time for things to go wrong and in reality I've had a seat for the whole journey except across the Kattegat and standing up for half an hour is hardly a chore.

In my younger days I used to fail a fairly extreme, high performance dinghy. The class motto was, "It's no fun if it's easy". Kind of sums up my attitude to these things. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PaulO78, how's your journey going? Must be getting close by now?

I crossed over into Germany about 20 minutes ago. Tickets and passports supposed to be checked, but the conductor has walked past a couple of times and shown no interest at all. Tea time (pate and cucumber sandwiches) is giving me a short break from the mask wearing. I have no issues with requiring masks, but my right ear is getting a bit sore so the break is welcome. We are ~15 mins late at the moment so looking good for the next (last) connection.

I should not have said that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mgrolf, Badly. 75 minutes late leaving Paris, so it will be touch and go getting the last train from Chambery to Bourg. There's a later bus, but I'm not sure how late my hotel reception stays open. Worst case I stay the night in Chambery and head over in the morning, not the end of the world.

Glad to be in the right country though - the Geneva transfer business all sounds quite stressful.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mgrolf, liking the attitude!

@PaulO78, good luck with your trip too!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Made it! Barring breakdown or other such issues, I will at least get to Basel tomorrow.

By some miracle, I stood in exactly the right place on the platform, and the door to wagon 304 stopped right in front of me. I have bed 91. It's a typical sleeper, with a long narrow corridor down one side that's just wide enough for me and my bags. First compartment... Beds 1-6. D'oh! 91 is in the last compartment. Up ahead, a family of four come my way, but dive into a middle compartment. The next bloke stood politely to one side too let me past. By stepping into my compartment! After a brief laugh, he moved out and i moved in.
It's a 4 bed compartment and i should have 3 companions. Instead, I'm Billy no-mates and since they were supposed to get on at Hamburg, it looks as though I've got the compartment to myself. Result Very Happy
Found my spot

Fairly standard compartment.

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Last update for the day. I have the creaking of the connection between carriages, and occasional clumps of other passengers walking past, to lull me to sleep. The door on my compartment doesn't close properly, so I can hear rather more than I'd like. But I sleep through most things, and the miles are passing every minute. Breakfast will be a bit early for my liking, but it'll be in Switzerland. Very Happy
snow report
Do you have to wear your mask even as a lone occupant in your compartment?
latest report
Hope you had a good night . . .
snow conditions
@abc, no, once in the compartment, masks aren't required.

@Jonpim, as good as can be expected, thanks. The beds are best described as firm, and the pillow is the smallest I've ever come across. A scrunched up flannel would provide more support. But addition of a lightweight down jacket sorted that.

We've just passed Baden-Baden which I think means we're about an hour late.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 4-12-21 7:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Breakfast has arrived.

ski holidays
And breakfast was not bad. Fresh bread, butter and jam all good. The coffee was, well, train coffee. It'll do. The sky is just beginning to lighten up, and we're down to the last 50km or so. One more tram, then the public transport part of this journey is done, for the time being.
ski holidays
Excellent live TR @mgrolf, good luck with the rest of your journey.
latest report
That looks pretty civilized, particularly sole occupancy of the cabin.

I ended up getting into Bourg at 01:00 on a bus! Now heading up the mountain. There is a lot of snow down here...
snow report
Should have been at the platform CPH-H, but have seen this to late, just to see you off onto you adventure.

Most happy my tip from home to Åre is much easier. Almost direct from home to piste.

Hope you have found you lift. snowHead

My last ski train trip was Shiga kogen - Tokyo, first part bus dow to Yudanaka.

I wish Europe would have a Japanese train system.

Niseko - Tokyo turned out a adventure as daughter overslept and we missed the first leg already, as she should have driven us to Kutchan station! Puzzled
latest report
@Hyst, would have been great to see you!

Now travelling in relative luxury - a car full of ski gear! All good aside from the rain.

Gothenburg to Åre is definitely easier than this trip. I assume Copenhagen is similar?
snow report
Yes, just commute to Malmø get into the train in the afternon, with a large packet of Sushi and a number of danish beer. Pertect way to wake up next morning in Åre.
And breakfast on piste.

Good you found your (luxurious) lift.

Have a nice bash. snowHead
snow conditions
Time for another update as we skirt round Geneva in the rain. Normally by now the Jazz Cafe would be hosting the early rounds of SHs but today I expect it's rather quieter at the airport.

We've made good time so far, despite the at times torrential rain. +6.5 degrees here so definitely rain, but as we get up into the mountains it should turn to snow. If it carries on like this, it could be a bit of an epic getting up to Tignes.

As I write, we've cruised through customs without a stop, as usual, so we're now in France.
snow report
Quote:

we're now in France.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Fantastic. Have a super week. Are you going back the same way?
snow report
Do you take the shortcut after Annecy 1508? to Albertville?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mgrolf, did anyone check if you had the supposedly necessary PCR tests etc etc etc as you entered Switzerland?
snow conditions
Yes, reversing it exactly.
Which reminds me... I've booked my return PCR test in Tignes for Friday. Simple enough form, except for the birthday. On my android phone, the pop up calendar is the only way to enter the date, and it will only go back one month at a time. Let's just say that getting back into the twentieth century wasn't even half way there... It took a while!
ski holidays
mgrolf wrote:
Yes, reversing it exactly.

Sorry what do you mean by that? Did any border police get on the train to check?
ski holidays
@hd - Replying to Hyst ??
latest report
@Hyst, no, on the main road.

@hd, sorry, my reply was to @pam w's post about my return journey.

The only thing checked, on any train, was my ticket. No passport, no id, no test result of any sort. Customs at Basel was deserted. I suspect the focus is on the airports.
snow report
albob wrote:
@hd - Replying to Hyst ??

Er possibly!!! Embarassed
Only just joined this thread.
Anyone who has recently crossed a Swiss border on a train may answer snowHead
ski holidays
mgrolf wrote:
@Hyst, no, on the main road.

@hd, sorry, my reply was to @pam w's post about my return journey.

The only thing checked, on any train, was my ticket. No passport, no id, no test result of any sort. Customs at Basel was deserted. I suspect the focus is on the airports.

Fab thanks - as I suspected.
This may well tip the balance towards me training instead of flying to CH this winter, kind of bringing us back on topic Embarassed
latest report
Outstanding thread. Well done on making all your connections, too.
ski holidays
Ok, time to get the return journey up and running. It's a reverse of the way out, so leg one is the car to Basel with @Gämsbock and @SnowPenguin. I won't waste words on the requirements for testing, documentation etc as it seems like I don't need anything. I am still waiting for the result from yesterday's PCR test in Tignes (theoretically needed for entry into Switzerland, as I'm stopping for a few hours in Basel) so that looks like another 44 euros down the drain. But I've been smuggled across the border in the back of a locally registered car, so that is not too big fan issue.
The drive down to Albertville was slow slow slow, initially because the road was snowy but then more because of a drive-slow demonstration that created a huge tailback (Google maps reckoned at least 5 miles). I think the demonstration was about COVID restrictions, but I don't know for sure. We did wonder for a while whether the hold up was people driving with chains on, given the number of cars we passed that still had chains on despite the road being clear of snow for miles. But eventually we spotted the front of the queue and it was definitely some kind of deliberate delay.

Apart from that, it's been plain sailing so far.
latest report
Just passed the Nespresso factory in n Avenches. Ah, wake up and smell the coffee!
snow report
Great thread - good luck!
ski holidays
Yes, good luck for the return journey, @mgrolf.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy