Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2021/22

Poster: A snowHead
Toofy Grin
Thanks for the recommendation @Oceanic,
Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
be my 1st trip to the Zillertal area this Friday for a week. Staying in Mayrhofen with a car. Am I best just staying in Mayrhofen with it only being 6 days of sliding or having a drive out and about to the different resorts?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hintertux, Kaltenbach and the Zillertal Arena are all very worth a visit and offer something different. Big car parks at most but busses and trains are also free if you wanted a couple of beers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mother hucker, the buses and trains are all well run and regular I don’t think you’d need to use your car.
Either way yes all are worth visiting over a week
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1st day skiing yesterday at Mayrhofen. Pistes were in mint condition, firm and grippy. found some nice bits between trees in the off piste not fully tracked out. I was expecting a bit more from the Harakiri though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mother hucker, if you like off piste then you will find more options in Zell am Ziller and Hoch Fugen/Hoch Zillertal than Mayrhofen.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

@Mother hucker, if you like off piste then you will find more options in Zell am Ziller and Hoch Fugen/Hoch Zillertal than Mayrhofen.

Laughing It's erm... "interesting" here at the moment... Hard lumps and old tracks interspersed with wind-blown soft stuff. Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SaraJ, it wasn’t much cop when I was there in December either to be honest. Hard, crusty and knobbly.

Think it’s going to snow next week though isn’t it so motherhucker might get some freshies in.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@VolklAttivaS5, The forecast is for a metre of snow over the next few days but with lots of wind, so we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.
Last week was great... Half a metre of fluffy powder Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@SaraJ, sounds great.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

been in Hoch today. Viz wasn't great but the terrain is far superior to Mayrhofen for off piste. Theres plenty to go at there. Buzzing for tomorrow after a night of snowing.
How greats the train along the valley, dip in and out the resorts with ease
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mother hucker, it’s definitely better yes as the trees in Mayrhofen are so close together and of course you’ve got that steep sided valley too whereas in the Hoch Fugen/Hoch Zillertal you can ski right down to the bottom in both places.
There’s a good snow park in Kaltenbach too which is far bigger than the one in Mayrhofen plus it has its own tow.

The train is great yes, if you go to Zell am Ziller you can find some quite nice easy off piste there under some of the lifts where the trees are wide apart.
Further over in Gerlos is worth a visit too there’s plenty to keep you occupied over a week for sure I still haven’t covered all of it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mother hucker, Do you ski or snowboard?
Where did you go off piste today? There weren't many people off pist - I only saw me with my beginner freeride lesson Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SaraJ, I have no big roure to talk of so to say, I just dipped in and out where I'd figured it was safe to do so and wouldn't result in a boot pack/ski shuffle out if I got it wrong, Viz was also bad higher up. The area on the left of sonnenjet looks cool as does the area to the right of the nuehuttenbarn.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I will be in Mayrhofen in a few weeks time and would like to venture into the off piste if conditions permit. Is the train or bus better to vist other resorts along the valley and are the lifts close to the stations/bus stops? Many thanks in anticipation of snowheads vast knowledge.
snow report
@peter w,
Both trains and buses run at regular intervals, if you don’t mind where you go you can just turn up at the station and get on whatever bus or train that is waiting! I often do that. The trains run every 30 mins.
Use the VVT app for planning specifics. You often find that if you miss a train, a bus somewhere is along shortly afterwards (if you’re not fussy where)

For Gerlos (to save going to Zell am Ziller then skiing over which takes a while) you can take the bus from the train station in Mayrhofen direct to the Isskogelbahn.

https://skibus.zillertalarena.com/images/Skibus_Fahrplan_Christophorus_2021_22.pdf

If you want to go to Zell am Ziller you can either get the train and get off at Zell am Ziller then get the ski bus from the train station to the lift (too far to walk really, in ski boots). The buses are normally closely linked to the train times (in the morning anyway-be careful with buses etc over lunch time as they are less frequent)

Or you can get the bus no 10 direct from Mayrhofen to the Rosenalmbahn, that’s what I do.

https://skibus.zillertalarena.com/images/Skibus_Fahrplan_Zell_2021_22.pdf

There’s the timetables no 10 is down the bottom

With Kaltenbach (Hoch Zillertal) you get off at Kaltenbach and you can walk to the lift from there. Just follow the crowds it’s self explanatory. If there is no one about then basically you walk down the road where the massive Braunegger supermarket is on your left and the base station is down there. Takes about 5 mins even in ski boots.

You can get from Hoch Zillertal to Hoch Fugen easily by skiing and back and again catch the train from Kaltenbach back to Mayrhofen.
You can ski down to the bottom in Kaltenbach there’s a nice bar called S’Chic next to the shops that does lovely Gluhwein.
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, Very many thanks for the detailed info. You can always depend on snowheads. Very Happy
latest report
@peter w, no problem happy to help. I love the place so anything else you want to know just ask.
ski holidays
only the gondola running today at Zell am Zillar. is that the norm after heavy snow? I heard no bombing to help get lifts open or is that not the done thing here?
latest report
Sooo much snow!! Toofy Grin

@Mother hucker, I expect nothing was running higher than the gondola in Zell because of the wind.

The forecast for tomorrow is for more snow and more wind. With an avalanche danger level 4 and 100km/h winds forecast, I wouldn't be surprised if some lifts will be closed tomorrow too.

Quote:

You can ski down to the bottom in Kaltenbach there’s a nice bar called S’Chic next to the shops that does lovely Gluhwein.

There's also PostAlm, if you prefer the dancing in ski boots kind of place! Although, at the moment there's no dancing it's still fun listening to the typical apres ski music.
snow conditions
@SaraJ, where do you suggest tomoz as best shout for most open? as fun as it was lapping the gondi it got tracked out quick. There was some nice snow in the meadows on the way down
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Mother hucker, the buses and trains are all well run and regular I don’t think you’d need to use your car.
Either way yes all are worth visiting over a week

If they have a car I’d suggest using it… the trains run well but it takes a walk/train/bus to get to
Zell am Zillertal lifts. Why do that if you can drive?
latest report
Your experienced advice is kindly requested:
For an advanced on piste skier with a 20 years old non skiing daughter, which place in Zillertal will be better for a week from February 26?
Zell am Ziller or Mayrhofen?
She'll be happy in a quality hotel with a good gym and pool which are open before 16:00 and some shops/snow walks and hikes.
I know I can go by bus or train from place to place in order to ski, I am worried she'll get bored till we meet early afternoons.
TIA
ski holidays
drporat wrote:
Your experienced advice is kindly requested:
For an advanced on piste skier with a 20 years old non skiing daughter, which place in Zillertal will be better for a week from February 26?
Zell am Ziller or Mayrhofen?
She'll be happy in a quality hotel with a good gym and pool which are open before 16:00 and some shops/snow walks and hikes.
I know I can go by bus or train from place to place in order to ski, I am worried she'll get bored till we meet early afternoons.
TIA

My other half spent the week walking in Mayrhofen and thoroughly enjoyed it. Went on an organised snow shoe one day. Stayed in Hotel Manni which has a roof top pool - lovely after skiing. Quite close to station but also near bars etc (Mo’s almost next door).
snow report
@drporat, definitely Mayrhofen. There’s a hotel called Neue Post which meets your requirements including the pool being open all day 7am to 10pm.
Also it’s very close to the train station for you to use the train/ski bus and an easy walk to the shops/bars/cafes from there.
snow report
Many thanks for the quick responses, guys.
Will do.
latest report
@buchanan101,
Quote:

If they have a car I’d suggest using it… the trains run well but it takes a walk/train/bus to get to

Because the main road up and down the valley can be busy. Because the trains are free with the ski pass. Because the trains run on time. And, if you like an apres ski drink at the end of the day you don't have to worry about who's driving.

@Mother hucker, That's difficult to say at the moment. If the Lärchwald chair is running in Mayrhofen, that might be good...
Anything interesting in Hochzillertal or Zillertal Arena will be exposed to the wind, so the lifts are unlikely to be open. The Hochfügen road is closed at the moment, so you won't be able to get there (the link from Hochzillertal will also be closed due to the wind).
If Gerlosstein/Haizenberg is open, it might be interesting... There are only a handful of pistes and a handful of old, cold chairs but a lot of it is below the treeline and it's usually quiet.
snow conditions
SaraJ wrote:
@buchanan101,
Quote:

Because the main road up and down the valley can be busy. Because the trains are free with the ski pass. Because the trains run on time. And, if you like an apres ski drink at the end of the day you don't have to worry about who's driving

All of those reasons yes, plus….
Why spend money on fuel driving around to each place for the duration of the trip when the buses and trains are included in the cost of the lift pass anyway and are really convenient Puzzled
Shared transport is better for the environment, the buses and trains are going to go whether you get on them or not, so it’s better to use the transport provided.
There’s a direct bus from Mayrhofen train station to the Rosenalmbahn in Zell am Ziller so no need to get the train then the ski bus, you can go straight there.
Using a car means at least defrosting it/clearing it of snow every morning (unless there’s covered parking at the accommodation) plus there’s finding a parking space at the lift station (which may be a short walk either way to the gondola at busy times unless you get there very early), then there’s the defrosting of the car/clearing of snow when you finish skiing too. The ski buses drop you right outside the gondola station. If someone prangs your hire car (or your own) in a car park that is something else to deal with.

For me, anyway, a short walk here and there to a bus stop somewhere is loads less hassle than messing about with a car every morning and afternoon.
Plus it means I can have a beer whenever I like without thinking I can’t because I’m driving.
I get a shared transfer to resort or use the train so I never hire a car anyway, but even when I lived in a resort for 3 months I barely used my car, it was too convenient to hop on the bus.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@VolklAttivaS5, @SaraJ, Ok, good points I admit!!
ski holidays
@drporat, Somewhere around Mo's is a good spot as it's about equal distance from the train station and the main Penken lift - both short walks, though you may want to go somewhere like the Strass which is right next to the Penkenbahn
snow conditions
Already getting excited by big snow dumps in Mayrhofen despite the fact that we're not going there until mid-March Smile. Anything which builds the base is good.

Our hotel is right by the Bahnhof. How soon could we be on ski lifts at Zell am Ziller if we took the train from Mayrhofen? Thinking some trips to there and Hochfugen would be good.
ski holidays
So basically Neue Post is rather far away from Mo's...
Is it still a good location or rather go with Manni, they both seem to offer roof pools?
snow report
@J2R, there’s an early direct bus from the train station see timetable here

https://skibus.zillertalarena.com/images/Skibus_Fahrplan_Zell_2021_22.pdf

Bus no 10 it is.

I think the bus may be slightly faster door to door.
If you get the train and get off at Zell then there’s a short wait for a ski bus to take you to the Rosenalmbahn.
As I said before I like the direct bus myself it goes at 8.20 mind, gets to the lift at 8.35.
ski holidays
@drporat, rather far away? Puzzled It’s 4 minutes walk, 290 yards?
It doesn’t take very long to walk from end to end in Mayrhofen.
If you look at the website of the Neue Post it’s got a reasonably sized gym and the indoor pool, not just a roof pool.
Mayrhofen (the town itself) is pretty small so it doesn’t take very long to walk anywhere.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 2-02-22 10:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
That's good to know, thanks. I have a soft spot for taking trains when skiing, from time spent in Wengen and Murren, but if the bus is quicker then that works fine.
snow report
drporat wrote:
So basically Neue Post is rather far away from Mo's...
Is it still a good location or rather go with Manni, they both seem to offer roof pools?

I liked the location of Manni as about 50/50 distance from station and Penkenbahn - and used the two about 50/50, 5 mins walk to both (though I put boots over my shoulder and wear trainers). Buses around the town are pretty good, though main street is one way.

Depends what you think you'll be doing most - and what prices you can get, and what you like the look of! Not sure about the opening times for the Manni pool as only ever used it after skiing. Neue Post rates slightly higher on Booking.com (9.0 v 8.6 for Manni)
snow conditions
J2R wrote:
That's good to know, thanks. I have a soft spot for taking trains when skiing, from time spent in Wengen and Murren, but if the bus is quicker then that works fine.

The train is good - though for some reason though the SCGB rep took us on the train then bus to get to Zell am Ziller than the direct bus; the bus does seem to properly connect timing-wise at the Zell station. Still gets you to the skiing quicker than the skiing in Wengen or Murren if staying in Lauterbrunnen
snow report
@buchanan101, it’s probably because unless you get that 8.20 bus there’s not another one that stops right at the lift shortly afterwards. According to the timetable for bus no 10 anyway.
Like you said the ski bus is well timed (unless it’s over lunchtime) with the trains so either of them would be similar times in total I expect.
I like that 8.20 direct bus as it gets there early and there’s no change from train to bus obviously.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, May I take you up on your kind offer and ask for recommendations for mountain restaurants and apre spots. Bearing in mind we are two OAP's although quite fit OAP's and happy skiing off piste but not sure about table dancing! Many thanks once again.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@buchanan101, it’s probably because unless you get that 8.20 bus there’s not another one that stops right at the lift shortly afterwards. According to the timetable for bus no 10 anyway.
Like you said the ski bus is well timed (unless it’s over lunchtime) with the trains so either of them would be similar times in total I expect.
I like that 8.20 direct bus as it gets there early and there’s no change from train to bus obviously.

I'd be on that 8:20 bus. I'm on the first lifts when I can!

Back in the 80s in Mayrhofen you HAD to be on the first lift otherwise you'd be queuing for ages at the Penken - stayed in an annex of the Strass right across the road from the Penkenbahn.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy