Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2021/22

Poster: A snowHead
@SaraJ, aha OK. we'll be staying in Fügen next Feb but we can drive to Kaltenbach and park up everyday which won't be such an issue. Probably best so we aint got to get kids on buses and dragging kit around
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mother hucker, Will your kids be in ski school? If so, check which area you book them in. It's not unusual that people think they've booked lessons in Hochzillertal, when in fact they've booked Spieljoch, for example!
Driving from Fügen to Kaltenbach is 10 mins. so not too arduous.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SaraJ, we'll book them in at Kaltenbach.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the update everyone. Quite like the slush on the board so it’s all good. Will consider it for the time of day though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where are you all getting your latest forecasts?

Heading over to Mayrhofen on the 26th too.

Have a sub for snow-forecasts and it's changed from snowfall next weekend, to none all week and significant warmth at lower levels, and now back to snowfall during the week (e.g 30th/31st). All over the place, but I guess that's the nature of forecasts a week out.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@random_banter, I tend to use Bergfex and Meteociel. But I know next to nothing about forecasting so only trust the next few days forecast.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wepowder and powderguide
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use Meteoblue and Bergfex plus when I’m there my special snow detecting nose.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have just booked flights to Munich for 6th-12th April.

Can someone on the ground comment on how the snow is holding up (or not...) in the Zillertal? I'm assuming that there must still be some reasonable skiing at altitude Puzzled

We're Tirol Snowcard holders and will have a hire car, so are not necessarily tied to the Zillertal - but will be based in Fügen as I got a great deal on accommodation.

It's an impulsive extra trip that we hadn't planned - so it's just a bonus to be going skiing again. On that basis, we will be easily pleased by any skiing at all but can always drive up to Hintertux if need be. And who knows, it may even snow by then wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm in Kaltenbach on the 4th April so keeping my fingers crossed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mountainaddict, It's still freezing at night so the snow is staying in reasonable condition in Hochfügen. The trick is to start early and to find a sun terrace by mid-afternoon.
We drove past Zell a couple of days ago... The valley run looked like it was closed (and if it wasn't officially, it should have been!), but that's only to be expected for a ski area on the sunny side of the valley.

There's no snow in the weather forecast yet, but it often snows here in the first week in April. If I were you I wouldn't be worrying about conditions yet. And, anyway, if you're happy to drive to Hintertux then I reckon you'll have a great week Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm in Finkenberg 2-8 April, hoping that's far enough away to avoid the noise from Snowbombing, but still be able to get some good skiing in either on Penken or at Hintertux.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers SaraJ. Being North Pennines and Scotland skiing diehards, we're easily pleased by snow conditions Laughing We'll just make the best of what we get. It will be lovely to be back in the Zillertal.

I have not so happy memories of that valley run at Zell. In January 2019, following a rise in the freezing level, we went to Hintertux after days of epic powder in the Wildschönau ski areas. We finished the holiday with a day at Zell and skied the valley run as the final run of the trip.

Despite marvellous snow overall, that run was lethal at the bottom - very slick due to the volume of traffic. I fell 150m from the end of the run (the car was in sight!) and, incredibly, managed to whack my thumb (which was flat on the snow as I slid) with a ski edge. Ouch!! Shocked

The journey/flight home from Innsbruck the same night was rather painful. I was in plaster for weeks with quite a bad break... rolling eyes

I'm glad the run will be closed for our trip wink

I did ski again (with plaster on) on an Alps trip that was already booked a few weeks later - but that's another story...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone have a tip for a good lunch spot at Gerlos? On the mountain.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Latschenalm
ski holidays
@Matrix, We like Seppis.

snow conditions
Thanks both.

We ended up at Fussalm which was average but a nice setting.

Snow was very good on north facing slopes but mushy on the south slopes. Pretty quiet so bumps were ok mid afternoon if you dont mind surfing. Pistes were best off the top of the Ubergangsjoch.

Very warm but colder weather forecast next week.

Yesterday we skied down the black on the Ahorn. Snow was really very good even mid afternoon. Yes slushy in the valley but the piste is holding up very well. Palm trees are out at the Stoaners bar for beers. Cool
latest report
Love it when its warm enough for the palm trees to come out, seems like a week or two earlier this year. Very Happy
snow report
I don't think I know this Palm Tree bar - where is it? Will be in Mayrhofen in less than 48 hours. Very excited.
snow conditions
Bottom of the home run from the Ahorn, just before the gondola station.

ski holidays
Ahhhhhh yes! Great, must check it out. Thanks
snow report
And another pic. They do great food and beers.

snow report
Looks like 3 days of hot sun and 3 days of cloud/snow/rain next week so par for the course. Would be nice to get a bit of pow towards the end of the week.

Packing and waxing today. Very Happy

I've not kept track but this will be ~ week 30 for us up the Zillertal.
snow report
Snow at Hintertux is pretty much perfect given lack of new snowfall. They had cannons on this am when we arrived.
snow report
@JimboS, keep us posted on your trip dude. Next year we'll be staying I'm Finkenberg 1st week of April. I know I shouldn't be but I'm slightly nervous that late in the season. We normally go Tignes that week and have never had a drama
ski holidays
Forecast is for 1 meter of snow starting on the 31st March!
snow conditions
If anyone is around Hochfügen tomorrow... There's a Freeride Testival event on this weekend https://freeride-testival.com/ Of course, the snow isn't ideal for testing freeride skis but there are plenty of people trying Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:
Next year we'll be staying I'm Finkenberg 1st week of April. I know I shouldn't be but I'm slightly nervous that late in the season
There will be absolutely nothing to worry about at altitude in the Zillertal. In the worst case scenario you will be 30 mins from Hintertux - which will be great until at least June Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

snow report
You can see the difference in snow colour of the off piste from the Sahara sand. Snow areas more impacted than others.
snow report
Following the sun was the order of the day. North facing snow pretty perfect all day. South was a slush fest. Very enjoyable. Now time for cold drinks Eh oh!
snow report
[quote="mountainaddict"]
Quote:
There will be absolutely nothing to worry about at altitude in the Zillertal. In the worst case scenario you will be 30 mins from Hintertux - which will be great until at least June Very Happy

I know I know I know. It feels like I turning my back on our Tignes Easter trips when its always delivered. we've never wished for better conditions at Easter in the EK.
We'll be doing Zillertal valley 1st Easter week then Sölden the following week next Easter
snow conditions
Thought it would be nice to go up the Ahorn this morning to get the legs back after the three year break. Mistake! Incredibly icy. Shame as it's a super spot to practice exercises when the snow is good.

But learned my lesson, don't try a north facing slope too early when the freshly groomed tracks have frozen overnight. #SpringSkiNoob

Off to the penken now to find something that's been softened up a little Very Happy

Beautiful day though!
latest report
@random_banter, good practice for getting your weight early on to the outside ski…if you have good edges

Enjoy. A couple of days of Sun then you should have fresh stuff. I’m flying out Saturday Eh oh!
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
@random_banter, good practice for getting your weight early on to the outside ski…if you have good edges

Enjoy. A couple of days of Sun then you should have fresh stuff. I’m flying out Saturday Eh oh!

My edges are pristine... it was their first ever run Laughing

Bought these ones two days before the ski resorts shut down in 2020 and have been waiting to christen them ever since Very Happy

Thanks- reps very excited about new snowfall later this week so should be great for you.
snow conditions
It’s so quiet on the pistes today. Practically had the whole of Horberg to ourselves…Pistes with no people Smile

Must say I think the on mountain prices have gone up a lot. No sure if it’s the cost of F&B or tax. But feels about 15% increase over 2 years. Anyone else noticed?
latest report
Delighted we moved over to the Penken earlier. Wow! What a day! Bluebird. Great conditions for finding the legs again. By two it was getting a little too soft.

Very warm in the afternoon but glorious to sit out in with a beer and watch people coming down.

Yes we found the slopes very quiet too, even the bars and restaurants at Penken very quiet at lunchtime.

A chopper landed right in the middle of the narrower bit of Red 26 to lift somebody. Hope they are ok.

Found beer prices ok but water and food a little steeper for sure.
snow report
You guys said it all, awesome day, almost missed the last lift up to the Penken from the Grill Hof alm at 4.30. The pistie guys were putting the net across the gates when we arrived.

We were delayed as the owner of the Grill Hof alm brought out a bottle of bubbly to our table to thank us for 20 years of patronage.

Just awesome, great vibe in the high street too when we got down and headed to the happy end for a bit more apri. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
As mentioned previously, we'll be in Fügen from 6th April.

I'm assuming (and hoping) that Bergfex website is incorrect when it shows Höchfügen area as closing from 4th April Puzzled
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, according to www.skiresort.info that might be when Spieljoch / Fugen (not Hochfugen) closes?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy