Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2021/22

Poster: A snowHead
@Mountaindoc, yes and there are attendants at the machine (at least at the Penken lift) that will help you if you cannot get it to work. The ticket desks also very helpful.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 2-03-22 7:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Fridge03, if you arrive late evening there is also a Shell petrol garage in Ramsau/Hippach on the main road that sells essentials. It’s open until 10pm I think.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Matrix wrote:
@Mountaindoc, yes and there are attendants at the machine (at least at the Penken lift) that will help you invade you cannot get it to work.

Got Ukraine on the brain?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Matrix, thanks for the tip!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ster, hahaha.

Corrected now…
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The public transport amazed me by its efficiency, even compared to the Arlberg area.
So easy to reach any destination, both ways.
At 16 the gondola next to Talstation Gerlospass stopped working, and right next to it was the public bus to Mayrhofen.
My initial plan was to mount it and ski down to the base station of Dorfbahn in Konigsleiten, have a bite in Hannes Alm and take the 17:00 train back to Mayrhofen.
They have a solution for everyone here. Impressive.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@drporat, great isn’t it.
I like that direct bus at 8.20am from Mayrhofen to the Zell Am Ziller lifts. No getting off the train then catching the ski bus it’s direct door to door
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@VolklAttivaS5, you have my full appreciation for being there that early.
I need my beauty sleep NehNeh so a later 10 minutes train ride with a red bus waiting to get me to Karspitzbahn is perfectly in balance with another hour of sleeping/having breakfast/faffing around.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I like that direct bus at 8.20am from Mayrhofen to the Zell Am Ziller lifts. No getting off the train then catching the ski bus it’s direct door to door

Seems to stop at "Postamt" @8:22. Is that on the road between the cross roads at Mo's and the station? Is the bus full by then...?

Looking at where to book a hotel for next year - stayed at Hotel Manni last time (loved the roof swimming pool, not so keen on ancient room furtniture); be a nice short walk to the Postamt
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@buchanan101, yes the Postamt is just down the road on the left hand side from Mo’s with the yellow bugle/horn sign as if you were going to walk to the train station from Mo’s.
No it’s not full as most people are still in bed/having breakfast at 8.22 and don’t get going until later and the ski schools start from presumably the Penkenbahn.

I wouldn’t mind a later bus than 8.20 myself as I like my sleep but it’s the only one that’s direct door to door plus it gets to Zell am Ziller early before the hoardes get there at peak times (like this week as it’s been Dutch Carnival week)
You could get the train as you know but then you have to get off the train and possibly wait (however short a time) for a ski bus to the lift at Zell am Ziller. All still very convenient but that early bus means no lift queue.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="buchanan101"]
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Looking at where to book a hotel for next year - stayed at Hotel Manni last time (loved the roof swimming pool, not so keen on ancient room furtniture); be a nice short walk to the Postamt

We are booked into the Elisabeth hotel this year (for the first time in more than 20 years of visits), so should be handy for that bus stop. It always seemed overpriced in the past but Crystal were offering great deals back last October/November.

Our kids really loved the pool on top of Mannis too, we stayed there once when Crystal upgraded us from the Brucke just couple of days before travel, that was a nice surprise.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all

Currently in Mayrhofen. Weather is lovely. Sun all day. Temperatures feel quite cold still up on the mountain, especially in the shade. But you do warm up quick on the sun terrace.

Pistes are still skiing lovely. Especially up high.

We are heading to Zell am Ziller tomorrow, followed by Kaltenbach the day after.
Can anyone recommend some nice places to eat/drink on the hill? Ideally with a nice terrace, serving some decent food. In both the Zell and Kaltenbach areas.
Cheers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's a famous hut above Kaltenbach, to the left side of the resort as you look up the mountain, but can't remember the name - think there's a welove2ski article on Kaltenbach that covers it
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@8611, Kristall-Hütte?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does anyone know what’s happening with the planned 3S Top of the Alps cable car/gondola in Hoch-Zillertal/Hochfuegen?
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, The last I heard was that they hadn't got one of the permissions they needed and so were changing the design. And then Covid came and everything was put on hold...
snow report
@SaraJ, ok I thought Covid might have something to do with the delay.

Do you think I’d get bored staying in Fuegen village for 2 weeks? As I said before on this thread I’m not too fussed on apres ski and nightclubs etc the main thing for me is it’s good value, it’s near the train station to go other places along the line and there are restaurants and a kebab house/pizza place takeaway for something to eat after skiing. And close to a decent supermarket.
Should fit the bill shouldn’t it? There are 2 MPreis and a Spar which is quite a lot for a small place.

When does Hoch Fuegen usually open in December? As early as 1st Dec or more often more like 10th Dec?
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5,
Quote:

Do you think I’d get bored staying in Fuegen village for 2 weeks?

Well of course that depends on your boredom threshold Laughing
If using the train to get to other places is important, then look for somewhere to stay that's at the lower end of the village. If you stay up near the Spieljoch Gondola Station, then it's quite a hike at the end of the day back up there! There is also the village bus, but depending on timings it's sometimes quicker to walk.
There are actually 2 Spars, as well as 2 M Preis. There is a great pizza place next to the bigger M Preis https://villaggio-fuegen.at/en/ (If you want to eat-in you have to book a table!)

Hochfügen open as soon as they have snow. They try and open fully from the first weekend in December and before that just at the weekend. This year the area was already open in October at the weekends.

You might want to also look at staying in Schlitters, which is often cheaper than Fügen. However, there's only one supermarket... Although, you'd be walking distance from McDonalds! Toofy Grin
I hope that helps!
ski holidays
@SaraJ, thanks. I would be staying close to the train station yes snowHead

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 17-03-22 19:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
is fugen linked via lifts/pistes to kaltenbach?
snow report
@Mother hucker, yes - see https://zillertal.intermaps.com/hochzillertal_spieljoch
snow report
@Mother hucker, Fügen is one of the villages in the main valley. It's about 8kms down the valley from Kaltenbach. The ski area that is accessed from Fügen is called Spieljoch.
The ski area that is accessed from Kaltenbach is called Hochzillertal. This area is linked with lifts to Hochfügen.
There is a road, about 12kms, from Fügen to Hochfügen.
From Spieljoch you can ski down to the Hochfügen road where there's a 10 mins. shuttle bus that takes you to the Hochfügen ski area. From Hochfügen you can ski over to Hochzillertal and down the valley run to Kaltenbach.
Does that make sense? Puzzled
snow conditions
@ousekjarr, Fügen is not directly linked to Kaltenbach with pistes and lifts...
ski holidays
@SaraJ, apologies, I misread the question as Hochfugen Embarassed
latest report
@ousekjarr, You're not the only one who makes that mistake Toofy Grin
snow report
@SaraJ, I think it would be ok then for me staying in Fuegen as it would be 100m from the train station and also I don’t mind walking to the Spieljochbahn if need be.

I was just wondering if I got there as early as 8th Dec would it be ok for skiing and it sounds like it would be.
snow conditions
SaraJ wrote:
@ousekjarr, Fügen is not directly linked to Kaltenbach with pistes and lifts...

but I can get up the mountain on a lift ski down catch a short bus trip then up to little Alaska?
snow conditions
Judging by the forecast it looks like shorts weather in the valley!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Matrix, yeah I’m glad I came back on 12th
snow report
I am always tempted with fatter skis (accepting you get odd looks) in the slush…. Very Happy or possibly swap to board.

I was there a few years ago during Snowbombing week when the link back/to Eggalm was closed. Looking at the cams that must be close given the high temps.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, I'd wait until nearer the time to book it, I think. Normally, it would be OK but if its a poor start to the season then travelling to Hintertux to ski every day might be a bit tedious.

@Mother hucker, Well, yes, you can get from Fügen to Hochfügen using lifts, pistes and a shuttle bus. It would be quicker and easier to ski over from Kaltenbach though.
snow report
@SaraJ, yeah I think you’re right, I think I will use these flights I’ve got spare and change the destination to Munich and then I can book accommodation towards Eggalm if need be closer to the time so it’s on the Hintertux side of Mayrhofen if need be.
snow conditions
With the forecast temps for next week Im starting to get a bit concerned for the week after when we are there.
latest report
@SaraJ, how often does the scuttle bus run?
latest report
Heading out next week to Mayrhofen for our 3rd time & for whatever reason (the fact we never go to our crystal meeting or speak to our reps) we hadn’t realised we can also go to kaltenbach & zell am ziller. It’s on the list for things to do this time, we planned to just get the train but any advice for heading to either towns would be welcome. Times to avoid, runs or parks to check out (flat runs to avoid on a board)
ski holidays
@allystrachan, In Mayrhofen two weeks ago. Took a taxi a couple of times to Zell. 22 euros approx 8 mins. Saves a lot of time in the morning. Catch the train back for free. Very Happy
snow report
@allystrachan, welcome to Snowheads!

The Zillertal pass covers the whole valley, plus the train and buses. However this late in the season and given the forecast for the next week, you maybe better going in the opposite direction as most of the Zell slopes are mainly south facing and are likely to be pretty soft.

Kaltenbach has a better aspect but may still suffer a bit. Same for at least half the slopes in Mayrhofen.

I fear that Hintertux will therefore be pretty busy, but at least you have that option.
snow report
@allystrachan, start early and enjoy Hugo or Aperol from mid afternoon.

The runs at Zell down to the Ziller valley will be ok first thing (mid station only). But heading over the top towards Gerlos will be best.

No problem on a board anyway in the soft spring snow….much nicer than skis!

There is one very flat area on piste 66 at mayrhofen so you need to carry some speed from the previous section. Or download in the Tux150.
snow conditions
@Mother hucker, The shuttle bus runs every 30 mins. It's also possible to get on the main ski bus that comes from Fügen if it's not already full.
ski holidays
The snow is still in good condition at the moment because it's been cold at night. The forecast is the same for the next week - cold at night, warm during the day, so I reckon it will be OK, especially if you start early.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy