Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I'm planning a ski trip for myself and two friends from 22-26 January 2020. Each of us have 2 ski trips experience and are all comfortable on blues and ok on most reds

Thankfully European schools are not broken up by this week so we have a fair amount of choice

We are thinking about Zell am See due to:

A) Affordability
B) Ease of access
C) Variety of blues / reds
D) Apres

My concern is that it's too low to be snow sure (only 700m altitude) and that it will still be busy busy busy - what are your thoughts?

Thanks

J
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go for it. At that time of year temperatures will be very low, so altitude is not an issue. Lack of precipitation would be more of a problem, but unless there is a prolonged dry spell you’ll be fine. In any event you can catch the free bus to nearby Kaprun and ski the Kitzsteinhorn glacier, where the season commenced today.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi J, I'm not an expert, but Zell is a pretty resort with runs for all abilities. Facilities are new and good. I have heard that they have extended the gondola system to link with other resorts which are all on the same ski pass. Check it out! January should usually be ok for snow, but failing that you can always take a short bus ride to the Kaprun Glacier where the snow is always good (same lift pass). I had my first ever ski trip there 3 years ago and loved it. The hotel we used was the Hotel Daxer, which was nice and close to the main gondola. Nice apres places in the main town a few minutes bus ride from the hotel where I had such fun dancing on the table after receiving my beginner certificate. I would go back there in a heartbeat. Hope you guys have fun there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personal opinion is that for just three people going fairly low season you can always afford to wait and see what the snow is like , rarely a problem finding somewhere where you know the snow is good rather than hoping the snow will be good. Nothing against ZaS in itself which I have never visited and lateish Jan should be at least reasonable most places unless we get a freak bad winter which unfortunately happen occasionally.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are pluses and minuses of waiting, particularly in relation to flight availability and prices, and the same with accommodation. Last winter witnessed a wave of late bookings for accommodation in the Salzburg province due to the abundance of fresh snow, particularly in January.

As mentioned earlier, Zell is linked to Saalbach/Hinterglemm, which increases your choice of slopes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
most of the skiing is above midstation, so the apparent lack of altitude in the village itself isn't such an issue.
It is now semi-linked to the Saalbach system - now on the same lift pass. Although at least one way a bus journey is still required I think. You also might need to downlift the bottom section of the Zell Am See Express lift, as there is no piste, just an intinery into the valley. But don't let that put you off, theres good terrain for early intermediates without going to the neighbouring resorts. The Sonnkögel side has some super wide reds that are generally quieter, and there are easier blues and reds on the Scmitten side. The valley runs tend to be steeper and harder than the top of the mountain.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JTizzle, go for it - Zell is at its best in January when it is quieter and has the best snow conditions. It is very scenic, the lake may freeze over and permit a stroll across it, and the runs will suit you well.

Apres is slightly different from most resorts as it tends to be more in the town rather than at the lifts, so some of the main bars are a bus from the lifts, or a walk from the City Express lift
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JTizzle, Go there (then Saalbach the next year wink )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i think u have to get a bus for lessons
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JTizzle, Go there (then Saalbach the next year wink )
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A very observant snowhead pointed out that I didn't reply to this so for the benefit of anyone reading this thread in future who is thinking about going to Zell am See then I say GO!

Zell am See was a fantastic holiday so many thanks to everyone's feedback. Snow was a little thin towards the bottom but we made up for that by heading to Kaprun. Town itself is very scenic, has excellent train connections and very reasonably priced
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy