Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees 21/22

Poster: A snowHead
I am driving to Soldeu on the 6th Jan for a week ..then on to France...are there checks on the border any bans for non vacinated ..( I am but my ski buddy isnt ) really looking forward to my trip round Europe...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I pasted some info in Resort Reviews in an Andorra thread I started, see if it helps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pieman666 wrote:

Looking good to me, just taken from the webcam
https://www.grandvalira.com/en/live-webcams-grandvalira

looking good! hopefully stays that way for when I'm there on the 12th December.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DaveD wrote:
I am driving to Soldeu on the 6th Jan for a week ..then on to France...are there checks on the border any bans for non vacinated ..( I am but my ski buddy isnt ) really looking forward to my trip round Europe...
just drove through from Tarascon to Spain with a camper that looks like a beat up contractor's van. They stopped me at the French border but when I said "camper" they changed their mind and let me through. Waved through at the Spanish border, where I saw a car that was stopped because they had their station wagon filled to the roof with tax free cigarettes. They don't care about corona measures, they care about money.

Same same but different a month ago at the Austrian border btw, the police stopped us, I prepared to show my vax certificate but they just wanted to verify we weren't shipping refugees...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's snowing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

This short video of a few French guys ski touring in the Pyrenees last season came up in my YouTube feed.
Hopefully, a lot less human powered up hill for me this season.

http://youtube.com/v/ew4jQMdSRlc

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 25-11-21 18:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Webcam suggests 4-5in in the upper parts of Grandvalira Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
…and more… and webcam suggests Pas is open Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski Touring today in Ax-3-Domaines I can confirm it's snowing, lots. Over to Baqueira next week for some lift assisted skiing, at last. I'll report back then on snow conditions and travel document requirements for movement between France and Spain.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Baqueira today (november 28th)

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Onnem, that’s a lot more snow than we’ve had here in Andorra!

It’s been snowing, and there’s enough to ski on when the season opens on Friday.

@DaveD, I’ve put some info on the resort review thread about COVID measures. In summary, there are no restrictions at the border you’re free to come and go. I’ve driven through both borders in recent months in vans and cars and not been stopped once.

There are some restrictions and requirements for being indoors in public - masks are required. You’ll also need a COVID pass to get into bars and restaurants, and possibly lifts.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's just a cross-post, I wasn't there unfortunately.

Really good weatherforecasts on the spanish Nevasport website
Paste the URL into the left window in google translate, select source language "spanish" and target language "english" and - voila!
Google translate = https://translate.google.com/?hl=en
Weather forecast = https://www.nevasport.com/phorum/read.php?48,4310660,4331990#msg-4331990

And here's the direct link to the detailed forecast for the period till december 3rd, looking really really good
https://www.nevasport.com/lameteoporjoseba/art/61603/Prevision-del-29-de-Noviembre-al-3-de-Diciembre-y-posible-tendencia/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Baqueira today

And a direct link to the page with the latest photos
https://www.nevasport.com/phorum/read.php?48,4310661,4332134#msg-4332134
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I live quite low (1250m) and it’s been hammering it down for the last couple of hours. snowHead

I think this is my new favourite website. Webcams at a good number of the major road junctions in Andorra. Probably quite boring when it’s not snowing, but when it is… https://www.mobilitat.ad/totes-les-cameres
ski holidays
I’m working, so won’t get out until Saturday, but everything is opening up. Pas and GraubRoig opens today with the rest of the Grandvalira following on Friday. Arcalis opens tomorrow and Vallnord on Friday. Looks like they’re all open up a touch early.
snow report
@hammerite, with any luck Saturday will be my first days skiing in Soldeu...
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
I think this is my new favourite website. Webcams at a good number of the major road junctions in Andorra. Probably quite boring when it’s not snowing, but when it is… https://www.mobilitat.ad/totes-les-cameres

Very useful, bookmarked.
I was surprised that Arinsal doesn't have a resort-level webcam - always nice to see if there's snow right down to the village - but I suppose it's less of an issue for them because the skiing is higher up the mountain.

Aside from the ever-growing panic about whether or not we'll make it out on the 19th, I'm second guessing myself that we should have done Soldeu/El Tarter..... mind you, it's the kids' first time skiing so they probably won't be fussed about amount of terrain, and I'll probably be like Bambi on ice so maybe Arinsal/Pal is just right.

Just gotta figure out how we get Xmas pressie in the suitcases.....
latest report
My son is gutted, he decided against the Swansea Uni ski trip to Andorra the week after next as his mate who had done a season out there said he didn't think there'd be enough snow that early in the season.
latest report
dunc999 wrote:
My son is gutted, he decided against the Swansea Uni ski trip to Andorra the week after next as his mate who had done a season out there said he didn't think there'd be enough snow that early in the season.

Does seem a good amount so far, and more to come over tthe weekend - 50cm at least by the looks of the forecast.
latest report
@dunc999, do you know which resort they are going to?
snow conditions
Pas De La Casa - 10th-18th Dec 400 of them Shocked
ski holidays
Thanks, I'll give it a wide berth Laughing
snow report
Laughing Laughing
snow report
@Specialman, I drove up to Arinsal yesterday afternoon to have a nose around. I drove up to the chairlift. There’s plenty of snow to be able to ski back down. I took a photo and will try and get it on here later when I’m not at work.

Re: Christmas presents… take small ones with you. Any big ones leave at home. We used to tell Jnr that Santa’s delivered twice because he knows we have a luggage limit for getting back home. One year he just had a couple of very small presents to open on the day. When we got back something like 28th Dec Jnr walked into the kitchen to something covered in dustbin sacks… a new bike. There’s no way I was taking that out!

@pieman666, I’m likely to be skiing from Soldeu on Saturday too.
snow conditions
pieman666 wrote:
Thanks, I'll give it a wide berth Laughing

Don't blame you!! He is desperately trying to find out if there are any cancellations.
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
@Specialman, I drove up to Arinsal yesterday afternoon to have a nose around. I drove up to the chairlift. There’s plenty of snow to be able to ski back down. I took a photo and will try and get it on here later when I’m not at work.

Re: Christmas presents… take small ones with you. Any big ones leave at home. We used to tell Jnr that Santa’s delivered twice because he knows we have a luggage limit for getting back home. One year he just had a couple of very small presents to open on the day. When we got back something like 28th Dec Jnr walked into the kitchen to something covered in dustbin sacks… a new bike. There’s no way I was taking that out!

@pieman666, I’m likely to be skiing from Soldeu on Saturday too.

Good news that the run back down (Josep Serra??) is pisted, means a lot of vertical in one hit.

And great minds think alike....We've elected to have our Christmas Day on the 18th to open main pressies - told our youngest that Santa is being extra special by coming early just for her - then have a nice lunch and head up to Manchester for the overnight at the airport after we've sorted a test for the 12yo. Lots of useful small presents going out with us in luggage, stuff to keep the kids occupied on evenings. Mind you, Xmas day is our last day in resorts so we may change things around a little, we'll play it by ear. Anyway, we're staying at the Princessa Parc, so there's bowling, games and a kids club apparently, so shouldn't be left wanting for entertainment.
latest report
OMG! Baqueira looks immense right now!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The best snow I have ever experienced in the Pyrenees at the start of the season. Blue skis and fresh tracks all day yesterday. More sun today before another snow storm rolls in. Baqueira at its best. New lift in Beret is going to make moving around there a lot easier. A high speed 6 man straight up from the restaurant area to the top point of the old slower double chair, that went from further up the ski area. Those 2 lifts have been removed. Right got to rush need to be on the first lift again Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@mortonia, fantastic, just three more sleeps for me...
latest report
Three sleeps for me too!

Collected season pass last night. Got some free socks!? Very Happy
snow conditions
Free socks! can't be bad. Ski socks I presume?
ski holidays
@pieman666, They’re ski sock length, but I’d say more compression type socks. I’ve not bought ski socks for years though, so maybe thick ones aren’t the order of the day any more!

I also got what seems like a stack of parking tickets. I need to look through how to use them!
ski holidays
El Tarter always used to be free parking. Soldeu is paid for but inside and so good in bad weather so worth seeing if they work there.
Ski socks are thin now, so sounds like that's what they are!
snow report
What is the drive like from Toulouse to Soldeu/El Tarter? Shared transfer times dont seem to work for our flight times.
It seems like there is plenty of parking choices.
snow report
@Redmaximo, it’s ok. Motorway/dual carriageway for a good proportion up until Tarascon. It’s then a slower road from Tarascon to Ax Les Thermes. After that you hit the climb proper to get up to Pas. It’s not ridiculously steep, but it is wind-y. In good conditions it’s fine, in not so good conditions I’d imagine it would be unpleasant. Once you get into Andorra you go through the tunnel and then head down the hill to El Tarter.

If travelling at peak tourist time, you might get stuck at the border.

One thing to take into account is the probable need for a Covid test to enter France. No test required for Spain, and I’d say the journey in is much easier from Barcelona airport.
ski holidays
@Redmaximo, also in general as the Spanish side enters Andorra at a lower height the roads are cleared more quickly after snow fall than the French side.
latest report
pieman666 wrote:
@Redmaximo, also in general as the Spanish side enters Andorra at a lower height the roads are cleared more quickly after snow fall than the French side.

Yes, not only is it much lower, but the snow line is usually much higher towards Spain than it is once you get into the valleys beyond Andorra La Vella. I get snow where I live at 1,250m, yet above ALV the snow line can be 1,400m (just 6km away from mine). It gets higher the closer to Spain you get. The Spanish border does tend to be a bit busier than the French one though.
snow report
Thanks everyone. We are getting the hire car in france. Just checked out the road on google maps, looks quite fun.
I guess its hard to tell, as no one can predict the weather, But do you normally need to use snow chains ?
latest report
I have driven from Spain through ALV to El Tarter 4 or 5 times in a 4x4 with summer tyres and never needed chains. It’s a main road, they are fast at clearing it. The problem can be if your accommodation is up a side road, which can be very steep and will wait for time to be cleared if after heavy snow. So you’ll have 10km no problem and 300m of problem! Maybe you can pick up cheap snow socks from a garage on the way if webcams suggest it’s dumping as you arrive.

Are you aware of mobile phone bill shock? Be careful!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy