Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck & Tirol 2021/22 Snow

Poster: A snowHead
@mountainaddict, I believe no requirement to wear a mask when actually in the water, only while walking between pools... The saunas are open (naked or wrapped in a towel, so no swimwear needed) too, but the website isn't clear on if one has to wear a mask in the sauna or not. I can't imagine how that could possibly be expected, but I've just emailed them to check as I was actually considering going soon too haha!

EDIT: masks are not required in the saunas. Phew wink

I know what you mean about the masks while skiing too. For a few hours I don't mind, but up and down over the chin all day does get a bit annoying. Taking them off at the top after the last lift up is an even better feeling than taking ski boots off after a long day Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 20-01-22 18:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’m hoping these will do the trick so my mask is outside my helmet.

10pcs Webbing Ending Clip Adjust Keeper Buckle for Molle Webbing Buckle Strap Belt Tactical Backpack Bag Camp Hike Outdoor (25mm (1 inch)) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071JRKH7R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_HNQCD4GKQX02BS82Q2E7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

Hopefully that should make it easier to get off as we dismount lifts (of do we have to actually ski in masks too?)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cardweg wrote:

Hopefully that should make it easier to get off as we dismount lifts (of do we have to actually ski in masks too?)

No, generally only in the queue, or if sharing a lift with people not in your group.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
No, generally only in the queue, or if sharing a lift with people not in your group.
We've never really queued at all in the last 12 days - we've ridden loads of lifts (chairs and gondolas) on our own. Assuming it will be the same for your low season trip cardweg.

The bonus of being on our own on the lifts means we've been able to take our masks off as soon as the lift is out of the station (putting it back on for entry to gondola top stations of course wink)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When skiing you can do what you want. Interestingly, in Kitzbuhel the recorded announcements changed today from something like 'On the lift, wear a FFP2 mask or required alternative mask or tube scarf', to 'On a lift or queuing, wear an FFp2 mask'. This may be in preparation for people turning up for the Hahnenkamm race on the weekend.

Re the snow, we've probably had about 10cms today, with more due on Saturday. Quite windy today, and the lifts on the ridgeline from the SteinbergKogel through to the top of the Hieslegg shut down due to wind after ~11:00, but everything else stayed open
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Taking them off at the top after the last lift up is an even better feeling than taking ski boots off after a long day
Definitely! Laughing Can only dream of the day when masks are a distant skiing memory.

Still, a bit of an improvement from last winter (for UK skiers) eh? wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Oh dear - we're for Obergurgl on Saturday. Any sign of new snow?
I'm sure you will still enjoy Obergurgl
cardweg.

My comments were relative.

Relatively speaking, crap snow is crap snow surely? Puzzled
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="clarky999"]@mountainaddict,

EDIT: masks are not required in the saunas. Phew wink
/quote]

Only over your nuts! wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
viv wrote:
When skiing you can do what you want. Interestingly, in Kitzbuhel the recorded announcements changed today from something like 'On the lift, wear a FFP2 mask or required alternative mask or tube scarf', to 'On a lift or queuing, wear an FFp2 mask'. This may be in preparation for people turning up for the Hahnenkamm race on the weekend.

Re the snow, we've probably had about 10cms today, with more due on Saturday. Quite windy today, and the lifts on the ridgeline from the SteinbergKogel through to the top of the Hieslegg shut down due to wind after ~11:00, but everything else stayed open

I was in Kitz today and wonder what the regulars think of my views?

61 euro for a day ticket with access to the base area limited by the race and only one way down. Made it over to Hollersbach midstation and turned back. Dire sign posting, wrong in many places, until a sign stating G8 was closed. No problem, as I needed F9, but that was closed as well. Cue long walk uphill and off piste down to the road. Lifties not interested.

I've skiied in many places and doubt I will find anywhere as poorly marked as Kitzbuhel! If I want a Bognor jacket, I'll come back......
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
61 euro for a day ticket with access to the base area limited by the race and only one way down
€61!! Shocked Outrageous! Where's it going to end??

When I was a lad, I paid about 50 quid for my first six day ski pass. Zillertal. December 1988. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Val Desire, can't comment on the signing unfortunately as I haven't skied Kitz since 2013 (I think!), but lift pass prices have definitely shot up this season.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fair bit of new snow overnight but very localised. Places like Patscherkofel relatively little, and the snowholes/stau areas like Nordkette and Seefeld more. My gf was running close to the Nordkette base station in Hungerburg this morning and reckons there was enough new snow to ski all the way down, assuming one isn't too previous about ones bases (there was no snow there at the bottom station at all before).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There was a lot of fresh snow (20cm+) in Skiwelt (Brixen and Ellmau at least) today, with more forecast tomorrow
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
There was a lot of fresh snow (20cm+) in Skiwelt (Brixen and Ellmau at least) today, with more forecast tomorrow
No fresh at all at Soelden today. Another sunny day. Bitterly cold in the wind. -17C at 3000m and unbearable wind chill if removing gloves for photos.

Still great fun though, with the full range of conditions on a grand tour of all 4 corners of the lift map. From great packed powder conditions on the glacier and at altitude, to wind-blasted/scoured/slick in places.

The valley run to Giggijoch was particularly interesting in the scoured stakes - especially with the numerous nutters who are happy to play human slalom and ski it with reckless disregard for all others at World Cup racer speed. Mrs MA and I both had a couple of terrifying close shaves as a result. Glad to make it to the bottom in one piece rolling eyes

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does anyone use the IVB Scout app for finding out Innsbruck public transport times?

The app used to work brilliantly but now it doesn’t seem to work (for me at least).

Has anyone else had the same problem or found a fix?
ski holidays
Does anyone use the IVB Scout app for finding out Innsbruck public transport times?

The app used to work brilliantly but now it doesn’t seem to work (for me at least).

Has anyone else had the same problem or found a fix?
latest report
@Oceanic, Not heard of that one, but try VVT or ÖBB Scotty (though I use the first one and IME it is a bit more accurate as it showed some ski busses running when Scotty hadn't been updated to list them).
snow report
@Scarlet,

Thank you. The VVT SmartRide App seems to be more or less identical to the app that I previously used.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 22-01-22 19:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Oceanic, Confusingly, you can't use it to buy tickets though – for that you need the VVT Tickets app rolling eyes
snow report
@Scarlet,

I usually buy a “Ganz Tirol” weekly ticket (when I’m there on holiday) so not so worried about buying tickets.
latest report
Woke to very light snow in Huben this morning. After a leisurely morning of checking out of our digs; driving up to see the Tirol's highest waterfall from a snowy vantage point; wandering round the (small) 16th century bit of Oetz; and drinking coffee, we drove to the Venet ski area, near Landeck, for an afternoon's skiing.

The car park was virtually empty, the mountain was shrouded in fog...and we had 10-15cm of unlimited, light powder at the sides of the runs. Amazing for a 1.00pm start - certainly a first for us Very Happy

ski holidays
Currently on the way home from MAN Airport after a brilliant two-week Tirol road trip.

Finished the holiday with a first-lift hour's skiing at Seefeld's Gschwandtkopf area on the way to Innsbruck Airport this morning. Small but perfectly formed for a quick blast and for parking at the chairlift for a quick getaway.

Conditions were absolutely amazing on piste - the groomers were like skiing a beautiful carpet and we had powder at the side of the runs. And there was hardly anyone else there.

The perfect end to our trip Very Happy

Conditions now looking much improved in Tirol, with fresh snow all the way down to Innsbruck.

ski holidays
Es staubt!

Not Tirol, but as it looked like the east was gonna get more snow over the weekend my gf and I headed over to her home resort in Oberösterreich. I'd say 20-30cms fresh on Saturday morning, then another 20-30cms for Sunday morning.

Was damn nice to spray some powder around again:

Even after a few laps through the woods I was only crossing my own tracks:

Until Chrisi came to play too:

Laurenz shreds harder than any other snowboarder I know:

Just after that photo: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZE81LmlcPz

Laughing Laughing Step down is a lot bigger/steeper than it looks too; at least 5-6m high.

Michael:

By the end of Sunday things were getting pretty tracked out, but still lots of little pillows and side hits to play with:

In the end parts of Tirol (especially towards the eastern edge and Salzburg, Zillertal etc) did get some solid snowfall too though. Also Nordkette and Seefeld - Nordstaus always over deliver there.
snow conditions
Snuck out to Nordkette yesterday for some lunch break laps. Definitely felt warmer and more springlike again!

Even after the weekend's snowfall it's still pretty low tide, though the upper mountain and couloirs are filled in enough to ski without worries:

Pistes were soft spring snow starting to get a bit slushy; offpiste was a mixed bag with some nice still-soft moguls mixed in with crusty sections:

I did ski down to the bottom (or within 50 metres of the bottom), but I wouldn't recommend it until more snow falls. Snow is very thin anywhere that gets sun below mid-mountain.

HOWEVER it's starting to look pretty good for more snow at the start of next week, again particularly the Nordstau zones and areas towards the east.
snow report
Great stuff clarky999 Very Happy
ski holidays
First day back on skis in almost two years (mid February 2020 in the Arlberg), a day trip to Skiwelt. In other circumstances I probably wouldnt have bothered given the forecast but the lure of actually going skiing again was too much!

It took ages to actually get to the top station as the gondola kept stopping due to the high winds, I guess 45 minutes. At the top the conditions reminded me of long ago trips to Scotland! Standing up was a bit of a challenge although visibility was good, even some sunshine. Not ideal conditions for remembering how to put one ski in front of the other Toofy Grin . Surprisingly the muscle memory resurfaced after a few vague skiddy efforts.

It turned out that it was only Scheffau that had got their lifts open, Ellmau was shut down, Brixen too. I discovered that the lifts on the small south facing bowls were running and in fact sheltered from the storm force winds. The pistes were in good nick and the sunny interludes were getting longer as the morning went on. There was hardly anyone else there (not surprising as they shut the gondola, no other way up) so easy to do laps of the pistes with the three running chair lifts. By early afternoon the conditions has improved less (though still strong) wind and almost continuous sunshine. More lifts opened (though Ellmau stayed closed), I didnt bother going over to Brixen, too late by that point. The pistes were surprisingly good, even when wind blown there was plenty of grip, no ice. There were some bare patches but equally there were drifts of powdery wind blown snow. Given the forecast for plenty of snow (& storms) over the next few days there should be some very good skiing when it all calms down.
latest report
Brixen/Hopfgarten was reasonably open today. We went up to HochBrixen, then spent most of the day on the 21,24 and 25 lifts in Hopfgarten, which were in good nick with softening snow. We went up Filzbodenbahn (lift 7), around 12:00, and the connections onwards were shut, but it looked like they opened later in the day
snow report
Sounds decent munich_irish and viv. And always better than not skiing of course wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weird weather lately!

Saturday was so overcast and windy, and cold after being warm, that we wrote off the chance of finding good snow anywhere and decided to get some other stuff done. Then the clouds shifted sun broke though around 3pm so thought I'd head out for the first MTB ride of the year...

This is only from Hungerburg at around 860m as higher up - even here on Nordkette, the sunny side of the valley - there's too much snow. And the shady side is/was still white to the bottom:

The bits that get the most sun were REALLY fun to ride though Laughing

Sunday was much nicer, so back to Seefeld. +8°C in the car park at lunchtime so pistes were softening nicely, but as you see still snow to the village. Started to feel almost like 'normal' amounts of skiers on the slopes again, and quite a few Dutch accents around.

Aaaand finally today the dump started in Innsbruck too! Probably only 3-5cm int he city so far, but should be a lot more overnight and over the next few days Very Happy
snow conditions
I made a rare sortie over the border to the Nordkette yesterday & did Skiroute 6 a couple of times from the Berg to Mittel station with a mate in excellent snow. The other Skiroute (5 ?) direct under the Gondola looked lethal with exposed rocks at the steepest point..
latest report
I made a rare sortie over the border to the Nordkette yesterday & did Skiroute 6 a couple of times from the Berg to Mittel station with a mate in excellent snow. The other Skiroute (5 ?) direct under the Gondola looked lethal with exposed rocks at the steepest point..
snow report
..then spent the afternoon on the (world cup?) black at Patscherkofel which was quite a contrast to the deserted terrain of the Nordkette...
ski holidays
@Bergsteiger278, nice! You mean Karrinne and Seilbahnrinne? The entrance to Seilbahnrinne can definitely quite quite sporty!

Bergsteiger278 wrote:
..then spent the afternoon on the (world cup?) black at Patscherkofel which was quite a contrast to the deserted terrain of the Nordkette...

Not sure if that run on Patsch was ever a WC slope, but that's where Franz Klammer won his famous Olympic gold!
snow report
No idea as I've only been to the Nordkette a few times before...but Seilbahnrinne would make sense for no5 as it is the gully under the lift if so , yesterday "sporty" = "direkt zum Krankenhaus" ...I assume the Karrinne is Skiroute 6 which we skiied...great snow and very wide...
snow conditions
Fyi I was back on the Skiroutes in Gaschurn today ...great snow, poo-poo light...
latest report
Actually I wrote auf Englisch "scheisses Licht" ..the bowdlerism "poo poo" implies it was somehow lighthearted ...and it wasn't..
snow report
Bergsteiger278 wrote:
No idea as I've only been to the Nordkette a few times before...but Seilbahnrinne would make sense for no5 as it is the gully under the lift if so , yesterday "sporty" = "direkt zum Krankenhaus" ...I assume the Karrinne is Skiroute 6 which we skiied...great snow and very wide...

Yep sounds like it then - Karrine is the one you then have to walk along the ridge a bit to drop in.

Neither will be rocky any more after today though! Very Happy

Bet the Garfrescha lift area ('Garfreschies) over in Montafon would have been good today...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 1-02-22 16:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Woke up to around 15cms of new snow in the city today, and heavy avalanche blasting from Nordkette - actually they kept all lifts closed all day due to avi danger.

I snuck out for a couple of lunchbreak laps at Axamer Lizum, as expected not as much snow as Nordkette but still a good 35cms of fresh. Powder on piste up top, but no visibility at all... Much nicer in the trees though Very Happy

Still looking like more snow tomorrow, then getting warmer from Thursday...
snow report
Marvellous clarky999 Very Happy
ski holidays
Clarky999 - it was indeed the Karrine as we had to enter via a short ridge ...no doubt Garfrescha would have been good today but they'd closed most of the ski-routes/Gelände between the Valiserabahn & Versettlabahn due to Avalanche risk...so I ended up on the Hoch Joch side instead...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy