Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck & Tirol 2021/22 Snow

Poster: A snowHead
The glaciers are open and the peaks around town are dusted in white once more!

Tbh I'm still hoping for a bit more time on the bike and in the kayak before getting the skis out of the cellar, but it's definitely getting towards that time to start building the stoke for winter again...

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@clarky999, yes a bit more bike time before the clocks go back would be good. That said when the sun shines at this time of year it can be the perfect moment for being in the mountains on foot.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any info on the snow quality on the glaciers currently?
I would like to go next weekend (23/10) but the forecast is not looking very promising, and I don't feel like traveling over 1000km (I live in Holland) if the snow is not good...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gustavo the Gaper, in various people’s Instagram Stories the skiing looks pretty ok, but I haven’t been up myself yet, sorry!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stubai: slopes very icy..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oceanfalls wrote:
Stubai: slopes very icy..

Thanks! Are you there yourself?
I called the Hintertux tourist office last week and they said the same about the conditions there. There's about 40km of pistes open though, and quite a bit of snow expected for next week, so November should start off pretty amazing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, 1st day ski was Monday 25th October & it was probably the worst ice I've ever skied.. Conditions have improved yesterday & today as the sun softened the snow but still lots of ice.. I've skied end of Oct/beginning of November for the last 6-7 years but in different resorts but must have been lucky with the choice of resorts..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Time to resurrect this thread Cool

We had a good dump of snow in mid December over several days. I went to Kühtai with a friend and my partner (who managed to face-plant in quite deep on-piste powder and break a rib on his transceiver rolling eyes ). Hopefully he'll be fixed soon, but he's off the snowboard for the time being. We spent a good 3 or 4 hours lapping the trees under the Dreizehnbahn, partly because there wasn't quite enough snow to cover the rocks elsewhere yet, but also because the avi risk was quite high and there was blasting going on all morning in the area looker's left of the dam.

It was a pretty good season opener for freeriding, probably 50cm or more in the trees. Sadly, I only have one daft video, which Instagrammers may have seen, but I'll try and make an effort to shoot more material.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unfortunately, we then had a bit of a dry spell, followed by a couple of days of torrential rain about a fortnight ago. This destroyed the snow at lower altitudes and caused a lot of wet slides. Fortunately, the warm temperatures didn't last too long, and the benefit is that it has now stabilised the snowpack, albeit with a horrible layer of rain crust Confused

Finally it started snowing properly again last week. I spent the afternoon on the pistes at Patscherkofel on Thursday, which was a holiday – that was fine, pistes are in good condition, but there wasn't really enough fresh to cover the rain crust very deeply off-piste. I think Saturday would have been fairly good, but it kept snowing so we went out on Sunday instead.

The plan was to start early and head to Kappl in Paznauntal, on the way to Ischgl. It catches the extra snow that also falls in the Arlberg, and has plenty of accessible terrain. There were hardly any cars there when we arrived at 9.30, but in our half-asleep state we just thought “great, more for us” and jumped on the gondola. At the top (mid-mountain), it became apparent that the chairlift we needed to get higher up wasn't running. In fact, only the T-bar was open and the lifty seemed very unsure as to whether any chairs would open at all. We took the T-bar anyway to have a look, but soon discovered the howling gale that had closed the chairlifts. It's a nice long red down to the bottom from there, but not really what we had in mind, so we hatched a plan B and got back in the car.

Plan B was a quick check it was open, that it accepted our season tickets, and a twenty minute drive up the valley to Galtür. Of course, we could have stopped at Ischgl, but we only get 3 days/season there and reckoned that that's where everyone else had gone. It certainly looked busier on the way through. Also, neither of us had been to Galtür before, so it was a bit of an adventure Toofy Grin

Galtür isn't actually in Galtür, but in Wirl, a tiny place about 1km further on. The gondola looked like it finished in a better location than the chair we were parked next to, so we trudged across the road and up the world's slowest magic carpet, grabbing a couple of piste maps on the way through. Some freeride areas are actually marked on the piste map, so we decided to do an on-piste lap of the resort to scout them out. Unfortunately, as it was still snowing, we were struggling to see the next marker, so we opted for an early lunch in the hope that the weather might clear up a bit.

There was hardly anybody there, and no competition off piste early afternoon snowHead The cloud lifted a little bit, and we were able to figure out what looked okay, including the currently unmarked ski route. The snow was really nice at the top, though we started to hit the rain crust about half way down the mountain. About 30cm had fallen over the weekend, so it was pretty good really. A couple more groups joined in after an hour or two, but it was still quiet enough that we found small powder stashes still untouched by the black piste on the way home!

It made this Frenchman very happy anyway. He was so, so pleased that we had finally managed to find “the pow”! Very Happy

We also found some nice tree runs:

It's a bit of a drive (about 1.5 hrs), but we'll definitely be going back to Galtür. We were pretty stoked that after a couple of false starts (someone else was supposed to have joined us, but they bailed last minute with suspected corona Confused ) we managed to still get a decent day out. We checked on Kappl when we got back to the car, and it seemed that the chairlifts did open, though we don't know whether it was ten minutes or three hours after we left. It wasn't as windy at Galtür anyway, so we didn't really mind.

Next weekend brings a freeride competition (FWT?) to Kappl, postponed by a week presumably because of the wind. We might go and check that out Cool

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 10-01-22 20:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lovely snow at Kappl today. Valley run in great nick; slopes deserted; some powder higher up but visibility mostly poor all day at altitude.

Today was our first time there - great skiing and a big vertical Very Happy

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mountainaddict, we did say as we left, that there would be good snow for whoever could ski in Kappl today.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ta for the Galtuer report Scarlet. We bought Tirol Snow Cards for our Nov 2021 glaciers ski week and are over here for 2 weeks (15 days' skiing) this time - which will mean we've already got our money's worth out of the season passes wink

After landing at INN at lunchtime yesterday, we skied for a couple of hours at Oberperfuss. Really enjoyed it there, despite the valley run being closed. We love these below the radar, non-mainstream ski areas Very Happy Incredible that you can ski only 15 mins away from a main airport - with the runway visible from the slopes, as shown below.

Aiming to visit Galtuer during our first week, as we are based in Kappl. Otherwise, as you will know with the Snow Card, we are completely spoiled for choice. Not sure where we will base ourselves for week two...Admittedly not a bad dilemma but it becomes a bit mind blowing. Laughing

Think I'll do a trip report for the whole hol at some point. Might do so after week 1 and week 2.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:
Time to resurrect this thread Cool

Yes indeed! Good work you and mountainaddict, looks like you've both been getting after it! I haven't spent much time at Galtür but I really like Kappl. In spring you can combine skiing there with kayaking on the Sanna from Plans to Landeck Very Happy

Sorry to hear about N though, Scarlet. Hope he's doing better now? You guys have rotten luck regarding injuries!!

Scarlet wrote:
We spent a good 3 or 4 hours lapping the trees under the Dreizehnbahn

It's Drei-Seen (3 lakes) Bahn in Kühtai though wink

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 11-01-22 16:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TBH through one thing and another it's been a pretty slow start to the season for me, but starting to feel the love for winter again now!

Towards the end of November there was a fair bit of fresh snow and I got out for my first turns of the year with some friends at Sattelberg near the Brenner Pass, which is one of the classic easy/safe/always goes tours with just under 900m vert.

Powder down to the bottom with just enough snow to not hit anything on the more open slopes (not enough between the trees), but 0 vis and therefore Jedi skiing above the treeline.

Milly and Domi from the carpark:

Into the forest:

Me shortly below the summit cross:

Random guy skiing down:

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lots of snow in the second week of December too, though I missed it as I decided to make the most of some enforced time off work (due to the lockdown) and airmiles with a spontaneous surf trip for a last dose of summer. Not mad about that though.

!

And then my Christmas trip to visit family in the Uk was extended somewhat by a positive test result (due to timelines pretty sure false positive, but it's not impossible that it really was corona again) so I only got back to Innsbruck the weekend just gone.

Of course the next day we went skiing! Just cruising the pistes at Seefeld, but actually really fun and nice conditions.

There'd been probably around 10cms of new snow, as we didn't go up until lunchtime of course the pistes had been skied to flat (and there's no base off-piste following the warm weather over Christmas), but grippy slopes with piles of loose snow on top in places.

Some runs still light snow falling...

Others the sun peaking out:

But most importantly barely anyone around.

The offpiste needs a fair bit of snow though...

ski holidays
Ta for the updates and pics clarky999.

It was back to Kappl today to try out the mellow powder fields we scoped out in yesterday's poor weather.

Pistes still in perfect condition too and, once again, the place was deserted.

Lovely day for it - so good time had by all Very Happy

snow report
Loving the updates, keep them coming Very Happy

we're due in Kuhtai end of March which seems a long way off at the moment...!
latest report
Quote:
Loving the updates, keep them coming
Your wish is my command
EarthWindandWater Laughing

We skied at See today, as it's only about 5km from our digs in Kappl. Our second visit there after one day there some time in the last 7 or 8 years, during a visit to Ischgl. We couldn't remember much about it, so it felt like somewhere totally new. An amazing ski area - there are next to no gentle runs but a lot of fast-cruising steeps. A massive 1400m vertical too. And (since our first visit), there's a new gondola 'over the back,' serving yet more lovely runs.

As per our previous three days' skiing, we virtually had the place to ourselves - to the extent that runs felt busy if we saw any other skiers Laughing No queues whatsoever, and straight onto every lift.

We even found some powder in the late afternoon, in the area served by the new gondola. As we skied a fair bit in the shade, we got bitterly cold though. Down jackets required in the afternoon and a lovely après ski Konditorei coffee (and cake of course wink ) in the village to warm up. It was -9C on the car thermometer when we left the car park.

Great snow top to bottom again and another brilliant day Very Happy

ski holidays
@mountainaddict, looks great!
snow report
Nordkette was looking more like April than January from home office today, so thought I'd head out for some slushy bump laps to test some new skis in my lunch break.

In the gondola up things started to look a lot more promising than expected

Then I discovered that the chairlift is closed (no idea why) so the only option was to head up to Hafelekar to poke around in the couloirs. Photo doesn't really show it, but around 35° degrees with nice chalky bumps in the top half, then some pretty manky sun-baked crud lower down with nicer pockets of corn-y 'hot pow' between the tracks at the bottom.

snow report
Felt kinda like April in January again today, but still nice to get a couple of laps at Seefeld today after work. Pistes generally seem to be holding up pretty well even at the bottom, but it's still very much low tide atm.

ski holidays
Great reports clarky999. Kappl apartment owner today was describing this winter as a no snow winter. Guess it's all relative - but we have found plenty of snow over the last six days Very Happy

We skied at Ischgl yesterday. Busy car parks, a bustling town and queuing for the gondola out of town came as a real shock after the deserted skiing of Kappl and See Confused We were dreading crowds on the slopes as a result - but were pleased to find most runs very quiet and we had no lift queues. Did manage to find the first non-perfect snow of the trip - a few trafficked runs with slick bits - and one steep section of a red run that was ridiculously polished...Cue me hurtling down it at stupid speed thinking death was imminent. Not big or clever... rolling eyes

We skied down to Samnaun in CH too, which was good fun.

Went to Galtuer for the first time today. Absolutely loved it - perfect groomers, some powder too and back to absolutely deserted pistes. A great ski area, with very shady slopes and excellent snow. Great stuff Very Happy

Ischgl and Samnaun:

Galtuer:

latest report
Is there anybody in Kitzbuhel that could give an update on the conditions ?
ski holidays
@barthez1980, not quite Kitzbühel but I can see it from here. Pistes here are in perfect condition at the moment but off piste is more or less non existent.
ski holidays
mountainaddict,

Great pics, MA! Very Happy Very Happy

Keep them coming! wink
snow report
After relocating from Kappl to Huben in the Oetztal (it's very near Laengenfeld) for week two of our trip, we visited Hochoetz today. It wasn't busy at all for a sunny Sunday - happy days Very Happy

A great little area, with some excellent cruising runs and a couple of good steeper runs as well. Fantastic views too. We did find the snow to be a bit slick in a fair few places - but maybe we're just getting a bit picky after the past seven days of excellent snow wink The weather has really warmed up and, in places, today felt like skiing in March. Still very nippy in the shade and on chairlifts though.

snow report
Time for an update after a further three days on Tirol snow Very Happy

Mon 17.1.22 - Skied at Soelden. Another relatively busy start (at Giggijochbahn) after visiting mainly deserted ski areas so far.

Snow conditions were mainly excellent (packed powder) except for heavily tracked runs, that had some slick bits. The run from Hochsoelden to the valley was very challenging in that regard. Note to self: Must get edges sharpened.

The weather at altitude (Gaislachkogel) was brutal - bitter cold and ferocious wind. At least we had some blown powder on the descent as a result.

Finished by skiing down at dusk after a warming hot chocolate just above Giggijoch.

Tue 18.1.22 - Skied at Obergurgl: Any ski day anywhere is always great - but Obergurgl was the worst snow of our trip so far. We did have some lovely packed powder, especially at altitude, but a lot of runs had been skied into slick oblivion. So much so that a couple of blue runs were getting on for lethal. Survival skiing in places.

All a bit disappointing given the altitude of the skiing. Still, the lift system is impressive and the scenery is fantastic.

More to follow.... wink
snow report
Oh dear - we're for Obergurgl on Saturday. Any sign of new snow?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cardweg, there is snow forecast over the next few days for the Bavarian & northern Austrian alps, might not get as far as Obergurgl though.
snow conditions
On Saturday I went for a ski tour with my friend my Menno. After much debating where we might still find good snow, we decided to poke about in the backside of the Kalkkögel and in Senderstal. Turned out to be a pretty good decision. From the top lift at Axamer Lizum we bootpacked a short way to the first descent (photo by Menno):

From the bottom we skinned further up the valley towards one of the couloirs in surprisingly good snow, considering it was about a week after the last snowfall:

Close to the top it got a bit too thin (due to wind) to bother taking skis further, so we left the skis at this point:

From the top. If you take the skis all the way, you can ski down into Schlick 2000 from here. The Schlick pistes are to the right of the little ridge; Axamer Lizum to the left of the big ridge out of shot:

Neither of us got a good (phone) photo of the descent, but this super-zoomed-in one from Menno hopefully shows the snow a bit at least:

Basically it was all that kind of 'old powder' that feels a bit spongey and 'supportive'. Dense but still nice to ski.

After the colour we skinned across the valley and over a little hump into Senderstal, skiing nice playful terrain round to Kemater Alm then the toboggan track out to Grinzens. Despite snow concerns there's enough snow to ski to within 2-300m of Grinzens (~90% of the way).
latest report
On Sunday my gf and I went to Ischgl, for the most part just pistencruisen. It felt a lot colder and actually pretty fresh at times! Snow on piste was really good everywhere apart from one 2-30m pitch. Basically all firm but very grippy, mostly with a mm or two windblown snow on top. One of the best piste days I've had in a while.

Everything off-piste reasonably accessible form the lifts was tracked, and looked like it had been good a day or two earlier, but by that point was mostly pretty crusty. Few concerns about depth offpiste for the most part - I'd say around 80% of the normal off-piste terrain is skiable despite the low tide season it's been so far. Even the tree areas are skiable.

Slopes were way quieter than they normally would be, but still very obvious by the standard of skiing that it's not only locals anymore... Not just bad skiing but people in their own world with 0 spatial awareness or thought for others. On the one icy pitch mentioned above, despite waiting for a space between groups, I got overtaken by one guy who proceeded to then career directly in front of me (tbh he was lucky it was me, 'cos most other people about would have smashed into him); was then immediately passed by two snowboarders on their backs, and then had to ski in front of and stop a lady who'd crashed and lost both her skis and was careering towards a group of people at the bottom.

The home run was predictably nuts too. Not difficult, and snow was perfectly ok, but too many people completely clueless about what's going on around them with no thought of moderating their skiing to suit...

But other than that, a great day skiing in perfect weather haha!
snow conditions
cardweg wrote:

Looks like a solid dump is about to come through Austria, but more for the northerly mountains first in line... Some should make it's way south deeper into the main alpine ridge and Obergurgl, but atm it doesn't look like much more than 10-20cms. If you head down the valley to HochÖtz they might more though.
latest report
Quote:
I'm sure you will still enjoy Obergurgl
cardweg. As I mentioned, still some excellent snow conditions to be found (as shown on my photos earlier) and it's a great ski area.

My comments were relative. We'd skied 10 days on our current trip before skiing at Obergurgl, with our arrival coinciding with new snow. We've been spoilt by conditions we've found at (relatively) off the radar and very quiet ski areas like Kappl, See and Oberperfuss.

One quirk to mention since our last visit (years ago) to Obergurgl. They've now got a motorcycle museum, which has free entry with your lift pass. We didn't go in but did go in the adjacent restaurant - if only to use the toilets Laughing . It's really nice and well worth a visit - especially so if you have any interest in motorbikes. Very unusual for a ski area but very nice, as I've said.
snow report
I think that poor museum burnt down? Maybe they've rebuilt it but I though they lost an eyewatering amount of vintage stuff

@mountainaddict, what way are you doing your trip, just moving on to a new resort every day or two? I love the idea of it but is it hassle? Presume you have your own skis
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:

The home run was predictably nuts too. Not difficult, and snow was perfectly ok, but too many people completely clueless about what's going on around them with no thought of moderating their skiing to suit...

Some things never change, cant blame over enthusiastic partying at Paznauner Thaya either!
latest report
Thanks @clarky999 & @mountainaddict. I’m sure we’ll find something to keep us entertained wink
I presume we can get to hochOtz on the bus with our super pass?
It’s been a very long time indoors & I hope the wide open spaces don’t frighten us!
Anyway, today is PCR day. Wish me luck…
latest report
Quote:
I think that poor museum burnt down? Maybe they've rebuilt it but I though they lost an eyewatering amount of vintage stuff
It burned down a year ago and, sadly, they lost everything - including vintage bikes on loan from people. It's been totally rebuilt - an amazing effort in 12 months - and has 400 bikes, plus some cars. The museum incorporates the lift station, or vice-versa, in a very modern building.

Quote:
What way are you doing your trip, just moving on to a new resort every day or two? I love the idea of it but is it hassle? Presume you have your own skis

Yes, brought our own kit. We have a hire car from Innsbruck Airport. We stayed in Kappl the first week. Driving times to the skiing from there were 2 mins to 25 mins, so no problem. We skied two days at Kappl, as we had powder there. Currently on day two at Soelden today.

Otherwise, we have skied a different ski area daily. Great for the smaller areas like See, Galtuer and Hochzeiger, that all have about 40km of piste. We've found the small areas to be very quiet, with pistes to ourselves. At the more mainstream areas of Obergurgl, Ischgl and Soelden, it hasn't been exactly busy but skiing alongside people on some runs has come as a shock Laughing

In week two (based near Laengenfeld) we've driven between 10 and 50 mins each way to the skiing. Again, no bother really. It's good to return to the same digs each night as it saves packing and moving on.

So a great road trip overall.
snow report
Quote:
Today is PCR day. Wish me luck…
Good luck!! cardweg Smile

Good news! Snowing lightly today and the 2 or 3 cm so far has really refreshed the pistes at Soelden. I'm sure it will be the same just up the road at Obergurgl.

It's absolutely wild at altitude though - ferocious wind and whiteout in the blowing snow at the top of Gaislachkogl. The pistes are nice with the windblown powder though.

Edit: (Close of play update) - The weather cleared enough in the afternoon for a few fresh tracks at the side of the piste, albeit a bit lumpy underneath. Also found some pockets of powder on piste at altitude. A nice end to a very cold and snowy day. We tried to get up to glacier at about 3pm, but the gondola link was closed due to the wind.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 20-01-22 16:46; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@mountainaddict, if you fancy a break from the weather I can highly recommend the Aquadome spa/wellness centre in Langenfeld!
snow report
Quote:
if you fancy a break from the weather I can highly recommend the Aquadome spa/wellness centre in Langenfeld!
Cheers clarky999 We've stayed near the Aquadome previously and really fancy it - but forgot to bring our swimwear rolling eyes

Also, while the outdoor pools look great for a post-ski soak, we're assuming we'd have to do so in masks. While we're over the moon to actually get on this trip, the masks on lifts lark is actually taking its toll after 12 days of it, sometimes 20-odd times a day. Our FP2 masks have ended up scratchy and itchy and got a bit damp too in today's snowy weather. Can't wait for when we can all ski maskless!

Mustn't grumble too much though - it's really fantastic to be here after what we've all endured and after missing last winter.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy