Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a ski!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm an ageing wannabe rockstar who first went skiing in the early 80s, just about learned to step turn after lessons on planks, then didn't ski again until 2014...
Since then I've had a couple of lessons, done about 12-13 weeks skiing (almost all on-piste) and bought myself a pair of Rossignol Pursuit 14s...
I had more lessons this year in Les Contamines, where carving suddenly seemed to snap into place and I felt the need to try a different ski than my old Rossis...
So I rented a pair of Elan GSXs, which appeared to make my carving technique better with greater angles of lean. Going back to the Rossis wasn't that bad - still had similar lean but not quite as much snap out of turns.
So the point is, do I continue with my old Pursuits and spend the saved money on hookers and coke, do I look for a pair of Elan GSXs or can anyone persuade me that there's a better carving ski that would be worth me buying?
I'm likely to stick to pistes, but may occasionally try a bit of gentle powder!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some info would help pin down something:

- What Height and Weight are you?
- Do you have a turn type preference - or want something more versatile?
- I take it you are an Advanced Skier, happy doing long or short turns
- How aggressive are you?
- Do you prefer something very Damp and stable, or something a bit more playful?
- When you say, "Trying a bit of powder", do you mean off the side of the Piste after a snowfall; or hiring a guide?
- How many weeks per year?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rossignol Experience range - pick your width - have fun - job done!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm 173cm. About 71kgs, like to go quite quickly and am quite happy doing either long carves or quick short slideyfellas! I'd be happy with an all mountain ski so long as it's seriously carvery, though any off piste is likely to be just off the side and not between trees in steep powder... So I'd probably be happiest with a mainly piste ski...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/salomon-24-hours-max-z11-gw-alpine-skis/137579268/p

Hard to beat for the money (£250 with bindings). I have some, I think they're great.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Leonard Smalls wrote:
I'm 173cm. About 71kgs, like to go quite quickly and am quite happy doing either long carves or quick short slideyfellas! I'd be happy with an all mountain ski so long as it's seriously carvery, though any off piste is likely to be just off the side and not between trees in steep powder... So I'd probably be happiest with a mainly piste ski...

There are two ways to go:

- Get a narrow, dedicated Piste ski and hire for a day or two if conditions merit it. That way, getting into Off Piste will be easier.

- Get a wide Piste ski/narrow AM ski, which carves well, with the extra width making life a little easier in the deeper stuff....which is where I think you are heading.

Wide Piste Skis/Narrow AM Skis:

Rossignol Hero Elite Plus Ti (78mm) - This is probably the most Piste performance orientated choice. It has a race pedigree - technically more challenging, but with a reasonable degree of forgiveness and accessibility

Rossignol Experience 82Ti (more forgiving, as no Carbon Alloy matrix); or 86Ti (less forgiving, with Carbon Alloy matrix) - These are AM skis, which are very Piste focussed; more so than previous versions. Has tip and tail rocker. I think these are probably a bit lighter for skis that have metal in them

Head V-Shape V10 (85mm) - It's really a wide Piste ski. Tighter turn radius and probably more forgiving than the Titan

Head e-Titan (84mm) - Wide high performance Piste ski, with a strong carving shape and reasonable accessibility

Dynastar Speed 4x4 763 (82mm) - Slightly wider and lighter versions of their Piste Ski, with increased Rocker, focussing on being more versatile, while being damp and forgiving

Volkl Deacon 80 (slightly more forgiving as use Fiberglass frame); or Deacon 84 (slightly less forgiving as has Titanal frame) - AM skis with Piste focus and replaced the RTM model. The 80 with the Fibreglass frame probably feels more energetic. Has Tip and Tail rocker. I think these are solid burly skis, especially the 84
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers all!
It seems that there's such a wide variety of skis available that it's almost impossible to decide! Especially as models change year on year, or colour schemes change so you never really know if you're buying this year's ski or not, and whether it actually makes an enormous difference as most skis seem to be pretty good...
So is it worth spending a bit more, like a Volkl Deacon or Head e_Magnum/Titan, or just go for new old stock like the Salomon 24 mentioned above, as that seems like an enormous bargain?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Leonard Smalls wrote:
Cheers all!
It seems that there's such a wide variety of skis available that it's almost impossible to decide! Especially as models change year on year, or colour schemes change so you never really know if you're buying this year's ski or not, and whether it actually makes an enormous difference as most skis seem to be pretty good...
So is it worth spending a bit more, like a Volkl Deacon or Head e_Magnum/Titan, or just go for new old stock like the Salomon 24 mentioned above, as that seems like an enormous bargain?

If your intention is to demo - then having a list to work from can be very helpful.

If your intention is to buy blind, then you have to be very clear about what you are looking for and what you are going to ski.

If you are a one week a year skier, combined with not being that heavy - you probably want something that is reasonably forgiving. There is a lot to be said for a versatile ski, that is comfortable with whatever conditions you get in that week - be it Ice, Bumps, Crud or Fresh snow.

Having been Old School, getting a ski that is comfortable skidding as well as carving can be a good idea.

With the advance in materials eg. Graphene, you can get skis that are lighter, have a lower swing weight and don't lose a lot of performance - this makes them more playful and easier to carry.

FWIW. My personal thinking would be:

Either - Go for the good value Salomons (or something similar from Glissop etc), which are a dedicated Piste ski - with the intention of either hiring for Off Piste, or getting an equally discounted wider ski eg. Scott Slight 93. Then if there is no snow in the forecast, take the Piste ski. If there is, something like the Scott will cover On and Off Piste. FWIW. This is the route that I went - getting both my sets of skis with 65% off.

Or - Go for something like the Rossi Experience 86, which will be great On Piste and will get you by if venturing off to the side. Nb. The Basalt version of the Experience 86 is cheaper, lighter and more forgiving than the Ti version. Being a lighter construction should leave it easier to handle in Bumps and Off Piste. https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-set-bindings/rossignol/alpine-ski-set-experience-86-basalt-konect-bindings28069023
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suspect I may be buying blind!
However, after trawling through some of the dizzying array of available skis I've had a "want that one" moment...
Being a bit of an old punk I fancied something a bit different, and while old men can't jump, I decided to look at the Line selection.
And the LINE BLADE almost literally jumped right out at me. Aggressive and different? Check. Go almost anywhere but with carvey piste focus? Check. Expert? We'll gloss over that Very Happy
Very tempted indeed, though I may wait and see if they get a bit cheaper when stock arrives again.
Anyone tried 'em?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Leonard Smalls, I have never skied a Line Ski, thus can't comment from personal experience - so rely on that Blister review (which are usually thorough).

FWIW. My view is - Whether the Line Ski is right for you, depends on what you want to do. With being 95 under foot, it is at the wider end of AM skis. It will be slower edge to edge, but given its unusual shape, it could well make a decent On Piste Carver. It looks fun and is on the softer side - which could be a problem on ice and very firm pistes.

I think it looks an interesting choice....but for me (and it isn't about me), I would be focussing on the Experience 86 - probably the Basalt version for its performance, forgiveness, flexibility and cost saving.....but for mostly On Piste, I like a narrower waist.

What is the widest ski you have been on?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never tried wider than 90, though that was a far more conventional all mountain thingy and a 181 so a touch big for me to use on piste and nowhere near as carvey as The Punk Rock ski!
I'll make an attempt to try the Rossi, though it looks like a slightly wider version of my trusty Pursuits.
However, I'm a sucker for something different. After all, I've played in both punk and jazz free improv bands!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Leonard Smalls wrote:
Never tried wider than 90, though that was a far more conventional all mountain thingy and a 181 so a touch big for me to use on piste and nowhere near as carvey as The Punk Rock ski!
I'll make an attempt to try the Rossi, though it looks like a slightly wider version of my trusty Pursuits.
However, I'm a sucker for something different. After all, I've played in both punk and jazz free improv bands!

A bit like you - I learned Old school (including Step Turns), where IIRC the skis had waists in the low 60s. In the early 2000s, I had what was considered a wide Freeride ski which was a massive 70 under foot. Toofy Grin

My AM skis are now 92 - which are good On Piste, but I definitely notice the extra width and have to allow for it....and they wouldn't be my choice for mostly hard pack.

The Rossis have packed a lot of technology into those skis, giving them more of a Piste focus. The Ti version is for the more aggressive skier, being stiffer and more stable - but less easy going. The E86 are certainly worth a try if you can dem them.

Going for something different is great if you can avoid buying blind, and the Line Blades are certainly different...otherwise taking the safer route is less risky (I'm naturally cautious). What works great in the dry Powder snow of Crested Butte, "may" not be ideal for the often harder Pistes of Europe.

In the end, I am not trying to talk you into what I would prefer and out of what want....only throwing out cautionary thoughts, especially if buying blind. Everything changes if you try them and love them.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Leonard Smalls wrote:
I suspect I may be buying blind!
However, after trawling through some of the dizzying array of available skis I've had a "want that one" moment...
Being a bit of an old punk I fancied something a bit different, and while old men can't jump, I decided to look at the Line selection.
And the LINE BLADE almost literally jumped right out at me. Aggressive and different? Check. Go almost anywhere but with carvey piste focus? Check. Expert? We'll gloss over that Very Happy
Very tempted indeed, though I may wait and see if they get a bit cheaper when stock arrives again.
Anyone tried 'em?

Not tried them, but do they look fun ? Oooh yes. Look like they've the scope to do what you want as well, I love skis in that 90~100mm waist range for real go anywhere on anything feeling. Sure, everything has some downside to someone, but seems so much in there that you're looking for.
Most of the best ski I've bought have gone against traditional conventional attributes, and all the better for it. Let your punk outlook influence you and sign up for a pair, it's no good wondering Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Line Blades are the most interesting piste ski in a long while. Ski like snowblades with some drift on demand.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The overwhelming feedback on the Line Blades is they are Fun, with a capital F....and like to be on a high edge angle to give of their best.

One interesting comment I came across, was that the people who didn't get on with them, skied with a narrow stance. Apparently those very wide tips need a wider stance to be appreciated.
snow conditions
Despite having 1st been skiing in the 80s I still have a relatively wide modern stance... Wonder if anyone has them for testing? Though I suspect I may buy blind as soon as a 169cm comes up for £200! Very Happy
latest report
Sometimes when looking at reviews, I like to look at the poor ones. These skis are so different, that IMV a test is vital. In the case of the Blades, I found this when nosing about today:

Weird and different

‘Weird and different’ is what Line themselves call the Blade. And I think they are right. 95 mm underfoot, the huge wide shovel and the strangely curled-up tail, the ridiculously short radius – it actually is weird and different. Even though this could be the answer to all those skiers looking for that powder ski that carves like a slalom ski, but it simply lacks the stability, edge grip, tenaciousness, bityness and performance in every department.

The ski is so soft, that is it more flappy than buttery. I know people who absolutely love it, though. It is playful. But if you want to ski a clean carve, it just flaps about and the width doesn’t help in either the edge hold or edge to edge quickness department. In softer snow, the super-soft flex makes the ski fold up underneath you.

In conclusion

Interesting concept, but in my view the worst of two worlds. It is too wide and flappy to carve well; at the same time the small radius makes it grabby and unpredictable in soft snow too. For me, this is not the answer to all those people, but proof of why slalom turns and powder skis don’t combine well.
snow report
It's difficult! Most reviews I've seen have said "SuperSmashingGrand", but that one seems to be the only really negative one...
Haven't found anywhere to test them, but have found somewhere with them for sale, with Marker Griffon for £510 plus £20 delivery. Though they are a bit vague about customs/VAT etc; it says:

CUSTOM FEES
For orders over £135, customers may have to pay the following customs fees :
Clearance fees : £12 for parcels whose value is less than £873 (without shipping fees), or £25 for parcels with a higher value.
Duty fees : the amount is defined according to the origin of the purchased items.
Import VAT : if an Import VAT is asked, we invite you to contact our Customer Service for the refund of the VAT collected on our website.

Have asked for clarification on what the duty fees bit is, and how likely VAT is to be charged by parcel force. Surely they know if they have an account HMRC to pay VAT, like Glisshop or Snowinn do?
ski holidays
@Leonard Smalls, It is really difficult.

That review raises some of my own concerns/suspicions - but I'm not in a position to talk from experience.

Some of the reviews I've seen hint at the negatives ie. Can flap a bit at speed and not the best on icy pistes.

I've no doubt they are Fun....but is that fun for a day, or for a decade of skiing?
latest report
@Old Fartbag, If you want to do slalom turns (and only slalom turns) buy a SL ski - ideally FIS spec so you're getting the real deal. If you want to back bottom about for shits and giggles buy something fun.
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@Old Fartbag, If you want to do slalom turns (and only slalom turns) buy a SL ski - ideally FIS spec so you're getting the real deal. If you want to back bottom about for shits and giggles buy something fun.

Not a problem with that.

My only issue (and it's not my issue), is shelling out considerable money for something so unique and different, without knowing whether you will like it.
snow report
I'd say you know yourself - whether you can adapt to different styles of ski and what puts a giggle on you. The Blades are in the giggle category, if you are po faced in search of the perfect carve maybe they aren't for you - if you want to do stuff a bit more creatively you can trust the reviews.
snow conditions
@Leonard Smalls, for an aging wannabe rockstar there is one option only:

https://www.snowcountry.eu/media/catalog/product/cache/31b8a3b5dbd0c4cbc4ada78b51a1a9c9/a/r/armada-jj-metallica-edition-2016-snc.jpg
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I'd say you know yourself - whether you can adapt to different styles of ski and what puts a giggle on you. The Blades are in the giggle category, if you are po faced in search of the perfect carve maybe they aren't for you - if you want to do stuff a bit more creatively you can trust the reviews.

IMV. There is a difference between being able to adapt; and enjoying what you have adapted to. With postage, along with all the various fees, you could be heading towards £600, which is a lot to shell out on a punt.

Anyway, the OP has had various views and hope he enjoys whatever he decides to do.....and more importantly, comes back to give his opinion.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 14-02-22 18:59; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
@Leonard Smalls, buy the Blades. They look a ton of fun. The Blister guys know how to test skis. I have a subscription because I buy too many skis. Lines are on my to buy list…. From the review….

The Line Blade looks weird, but holy crap, it’s really fun.

Most marketing copy is dumb, but Line’s note about the Blade leaving “a sh*t-eating grin on your face” actually seems accurate. I think it’d be impossible to not smile while skiing this thing, unless you hate fun.

Ok, on to the real parts of this review.

In short, the Blade is one of the easiest skis I’ve used in terms of getting it on edge. That giant shovel immediately pulled me into a turn as soon as I put any pressure on the front of the ski — even on flat cat tracks. Now, I haven’t skied any FIS slalom skis, so I’m sure those could be better in that regard, but for a 95mm-wide ski, turn initiation on the Blade feels unrivaled to me. Slow or fast, low-angle or steep — carving on the Blade is so intuitive and so easy.
snow report
Some additional insight
http://youtube.com/v/ZEC096k81YI certainly they run against the grain, but with good reason to diversify.

Many things I ride, drive, ski etc don't fit other's idea of their view of convention, which is just what makes them interesting. Some people actual approach me in public to tell me why I've made the wrong choice too, which is funny Very Happy

Is "perfection" good ? It can be quite restrictive in reality, with many version of things judged "imperfect" so very attractive for that reason.
snow conditions
I like quirky too... I have a Abarth, an old Land Rover and a tuned 70s Moto Guzzi!
Still very tempted by the CrazySkis, but hurry is now over as my March ski trip has had to be cancelled Crying or Very sad
Which means I probably won't need them till next year. Gives me plenty time to find some cheaper ones...
ski holidays
Leonard Smalls wrote:
I like quirky too... I have a Abarth, an old Land Rover and a tuned 70s Moto Guzzi!
Still very tempted by the CrazySkis, but hurry is now over as my March ski trip has had to be cancelled Crying or Very sad
Which means I probably won't need them till next year. Gives me plenty time to find some cheaper ones...

Fiat Abarth - Blimey! - Get your Blade order in forthwith. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stockli AX Laser. It'll break the bank but you'll have a whole load of fun along the way!
snow conditions
esaw1 wrote:
Stockli AX Laser. It'll break the bank but you'll have a whole load of fun along the way!

Fun is what I'm after, and always fancied a pair of Stöcklis! However, I'm having trouble coming to terms with parting with £600 for the Lines, never mind a grand! However, I found a pair of ex rental 170cm Spirit Globes for £161.99 on ebay...
latest report
Leonard Smalls wrote:

Fun is what I'm after, and always fancied a pair of Stöcklis! However, I'm having trouble coming to terms with parting with £600 for the Lines, never mind a grand! However, I found a pair of ex rental 170cm Spirit Globes for £161.99 on ebay...

That IMV is much more "take a punt" money....and can probably be sold on again if not suitable, without taking too much of a hit. Although ex-rental will be well used and have had a lot of servicing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy