Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Birthday bashers beware?

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.valtellinamobile.it/dal-2022-in-vigore-lalcol-test-sulle-piste-da-sci/?fbclid=IwAR3snCg12mNDgpsErFnfwbI9okVcjUgB9jFTIZwc6kBQU1iGzMoalo0Lsvs

Quote:
The Legislative Decree n. 40 of 28 February 2021 introduces, starting from 1 January 2022, the alcohol test on Italian ski slopes. Article 31 of the Legislative Decree briefly equates the provision to alcohol testing for drivers of motor vehicles.
Alcohol and toxicological checks on the ski slopes can be carried out by the Police, Carabinieri, Financial Police and, finally, the local Police in carrying out the surveillance and rescue service in the ski resorts.
Clash between skiers: guilt is always presumed
The rule, published in the Official Gazette on April 3, 2020, deals with safety measures in winter sports and as we said it regulates alcohol and toxicological tests for those accessing the ski slopes. Particularly:
It is forbidden to ski while intoxicated as a result of the use of alcoholic beverages and toxicological substances;
the ascertaining bodies, in compliance with personal confidentiality and without prejudice to physical integrity, may subject skiers to non-invasive quality checks or tests, even through portable devices;
when the qualitative assessments have given a positive result or when there is otherwise reason to believe that the skier is in a state of psychophysical alteration deriving from the influence of alcohol or drugs, the ascertaining bodies, also accompanying him to the nearest office or command , have the right to carry out the assessment with the tools and procedures provided for by law.
Compulsory insurance for skiing in Italy
The administrative and criminal penalties are the same as for cars, since the DO is linked to the Highway Code, therefore in the case of an ascertained state of intoxication or a psychophysical toxicological alteration, the sanction envisaged starts from the fine and can lead to arrest, depending on the severity.
The penalties are also doubled if the skier, in addition to testing positive for the alcohol test, causes an accident.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess somewhere there will be some advice on "how much is too much" or rather "yes a pint with your lunch is fine"
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seems fair to me Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If the rules are the same as for cars, does than mean anybody skiing home in the dark, without lights can be arrested? rolling eyes Very Happy

Never seen any Carabinieri on the way down from the birthday party.

As it happens, the Plan Boe changed hands just before the last BB (2020), and it now closes at 5.30, so everybody can ski down before it gets dark. Was a bit of a surreal experience, getting home in daylight. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, given the level of DUI SUI hardly an issue
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brianatab wrote:
Never seen any Carabinieri on the way down from the birthday party.

Piste patrol in Italy is done by the Guardia di Finanza, they do have powers of arrest.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow. I’m not a fan of drinking whilst skiing anyway, but this will be a change for a lot of people I know!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wonder what triggered that law. My only experience pf Italian skiing (other than a quiet day in Cervinia) has been in the Dolomites - and I didn't associate the area with drunken skiing. Saw nothing remotely equating to downhill of the Crazy Kanguruh.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Timmycb5, If you use a cup with a lid and a straw, you won't spill so much. Toofy Grin

Technically, does that mean anybody carrying skis home after a few too many apres, can be charged?

In reality, I can only see this being an issue if there is a collision, or someone skis recklessly (likely to cause injury) in busy areas whilst under the influence.

Just wondering though, what are the repercussions with insurance in such circumstances? Maybe some of the less reputable Companies might use it as an excuse for not paying medical costs?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@brianatab, good tip Laughing

I think a lot of insurance companies already won’t pay out if you’re under the influence whilst skiing and have an accident.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brianatab wrote:

Just wondering though, what are the repercussions with insurance in such circumstances? Maybe some of the less reputable Companies might use it as an excuse for not paying medical costs?

No perhaps about it - almost all travel insurance policies have an exclusion for "under the influence of alcohol or drugs", which if you read in the implication that the Italians now require you to have 3rd party liability insurance (think that's somewhere out there but not my battle) then indeed beers and bombardinos after skiing not during might be wise.

In practice I guess on hill boozing establishments will come to informal arrangements with the fuzz over enforcement cos it's hardly going to be good for their business otherwise.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Just thinking of the run down from La Follie Douce in VT after 5pm rolling eyes

Personally, it's usually such a horrible slushy run on the EOSB, that I avoid it after lunch anyway.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well France isn't Italy but yes those refreshed from an afternoon at one of many Folie Douches or Mooserwirts or KKs etc might as it turns out not be insured if the loss adjuster is a stickler. Arrest unlikely though unlike apparently the possibility in Italy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
in fairness, I'm not sure it's a big change? Certainly insurers have always excluded events while intoxicated. Pretty sure the police have had powers to test ...?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
Certainly insurers have always excluded events while intoxicated

I've sometimes wondered about this - is it in fact possible to get insurance that doesn't have this exclusion?
ski holidays
brianatab wrote:
Personally, it's usually such a horrible slushy run on the EOSB, that I avoid it after lunch anyway.

Madness, sitting on the side of the hill while watching the drunk and reckless ski down, then smashing through the slush yourself, is one of the best parts of going to VT Laughing snowHead
snow report
Reality check. This law is because some people (mostly not italians) get blind drunk and wreck stuff and/or hurt other people whilst on ski trips. This law gives the police and easy way to prosecute them.
They have no iterest in harassing you for having 2 litres of wine at lunch and making your way slowly and incompetently around the hill looking for coffee to try and staibilize your ski down off the hill.

Having seen a large russian pinball down a slope, nocking people all over the place. All they could do is deport the guy!

As for insurance, I guess it will be like in france 2-3€ per day, available with your lift pass.
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
brianatab wrote:

Madness, sitting on the side of the hill while watching the drunk and reckless ski down, then smashing through the slush yourself, is one of the best parts of going to VT Laughing snowHead

Exactly - best way to finish the day - last lift in the village at the shed (can't remember what it's called but it's an 8 seater magic carpet), quick exposure to the Doink doink doink when will the bass drop, then a bit of glorious spray n pray among the flailers. Beats the disappointing run down to the Cairn and the walk of shame from the gondi.
snow report
No way the Rozzers are catching me after 8 pints.....

Trick is to take it steady and wait until most people have cleared off. Last run of the day is the best.
ski holidays
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Last run of the day is the best.

You'll absolutely love the last run of the day down into Alleghe. Just a tad over 3,300 ft vertical, just over 5km. Did it every day last year.

You'll always catch @Admin having a quick Bombardino at the top, waiting for the run to clear, before heading down. Very Happy

btw, it's not a run to take "steady" unless you want to miss the lift back to the hotel. wink
ski holidays
brianatab wrote:
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Last run of the day is the best.

You'll absolutely love the last run of the day down into Alleghe. Just a tad over 3,300 ft vertical, just over 5km. Did it every day last year.

You'll always catch @Admin having a quick Bombardino at the top, waiting for the run to clear, before heading down. Very Happy
Well you can try to catch me after a bombardino on a clear run Wink Best run of the day, usually.
Quote:

btw, it's not a run to take "steady" unless you want to miss the lift back to the hotel. wink
Unless, of course, a full van-load of us have a bombardino at the top and the first one down gives the chap a ring to come and get us.
I mean... he'll quite rightly sulk if it's just for the one passenger, but once he's got a full load, he's quite understanding.
ski holidays
@admin, Yes, but as you're usually the first down, then the van has got plenty of time to get there for the rest of us. wink wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy