Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France, pre-Christmas week...busy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning all
I am looking at running a school ski trip 17-24 December 2022 and thanks to Eric Bonnel's excellent work, I see that this week is holiday for all of France. Based on previous years (not last obviously....), does anyone know how busy that week is likely to be? Looking at Alpe D'huez probably.
Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well this is seen more as the Christmas Week, so it's busy but less than the week after.... Owners are usually going to resort for this week to gather with their family. It's a more family oriented week than the next one. But you may have some good surprises (a.k.a. less crowdy than in february) but it's one of the top weeks even if it's not the highest one.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The first ski trip we ran (1989) was to Alpe D'Huez arriving on Boxing Day. We skied on about 10km of artificial snow all week with green grass at the sides of the artificial. We have been back twice, and I think we must be the kiss of death to their snow. Never been there with decent cover at any time.
We did 2 school trips to the Milky Way after that with much better cover and 1 to Saas Fee but then started going with Interski to the Aosta valley and that was always better snow. In total 20 years of school trips but now retired. All our trips were the week after Christmas or the first week of January to minimise time off school. We found the first week of January to be very quiet and low price.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowhound, We tend to go that week will be busyish but not NY/Feb HT busy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mogulski, Yeah, we usually go week before this one (11th December ish) but terms dates have been pushed back and we are back early after New Year. Half term too busy and expensive, Easter tricky because of public exams so that week is the least inconvenient option. Not allowed term time.
Usually go to Les Menuires or Tignes, but both already booked. Had a couple of good trips to ADH, but one shocker 5-6 years back...but beggars can't be choosers!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowhound, been twice to ADH (stayed in Oz-en-Oisan) at Christmas (2011) and (2013) - had no issues with snow cover (though weather/conditions fluctuated a lot).

Trip report links at top of the latest one.

These days snow making cannons ensure no real issues on that score.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowhound, I'm usually in Les Arcs 1800 for that week and its not usually that bad. Everything is open and the snow has been ok. Its not as busy as the week after that tends to see most places full
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy