Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

English ski school in Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are possibly looking at Tignes ski hols the week beg 10/11 December
We’ve got a 4.5yr old and want to put her in morning ski school.

She has been to ski school before when she was just 3 but it was ESF in les arcs and a bit daunting and all of the other kids were French and she was very lonely

Anyone have any recommendations?
I know ESF have English speaking instructors and Evo do but if the rest of the class are non English speaking I’m worried she won’t enjoy it

Thanks Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
New Generation - mixed nationalities but excellent English.

Ultimate All Brits, I think
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Forgive me for highjacking the thread but it is related! Our youngest will be 2 years and 11 months when we are in Tignes next March. Any recommendations on any suitable ski school for a child that age? I see Evolution 2 have kids club for 2.5 - 3 year olds. Just wondering if anyone has experience of that or of putting a child of that age into lessons / club? We will have non-skiing grandparents with us and they are more than happy to mind her while we get some time on the slopes. But if I thought she would enjoy age appropriate lessons / snow activity in the mornings I would put her in that. She's the youngest of 3 and is well able to go. But i'm concerned that a couple of weeks shy of 3 is young to be sending any child off.

In relation to the OP - we used New Generation in Courchevel for our then 4.5 year old and we found them excellent. We'll probably be putting our older girls with New Gen in Tignes in March.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@adriangrogan, We used Evo2 quite a lot, when the Kids were young - but it's so long ago, I can't remember just how young they were....though I suspect they were a little older than that.

I have yet to have a bad experience with EV02.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@adriangrogan, I don't know for definite, but almost certainly at not even 3 years old, there won't be that much skiing, mainly playing in the snow and they might push them down a small hill in a straight line, but certainly don't expect your child to come back able to snow plough everywhere.

Just imagine nursery like they might go to in the UK with some outdoor fun in the snow, and that's probably more like what you'll get.

I could be wrong though, and happy for any parents with experience to correct me!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Forgive me for highjacking the thread but it is related! Our youngest will be 2 years and 11 months when we are in Tignes next March. Any recommendations on any suitable ski school for a child that age? I see Evolution 2 have kids club for 2.5 - 3 year olds. Just wondering if anyone has experience of that or of putting a child of that age into lessons / club? We will have non-skiing grandparents with us and they are more than happy to mind her while we get some time on the slopes. But if I thought she would enjoy age appropriate lessons / snow activity in the mornings I would put her in that. She's the youngest of 3 and is well able to go. But i'm concerned that a couple of weeks shy of 3 is young to be sending any child off.

Our daughter wasn't quite 3 when we put her into ESF in Les Arcs. We hadn't been skiing for 4 years so were desperate to go and I really want her to have the opportunity to learn when little and not so fearful!
The reason we chose ESF is they have the kindergarten (piou piou) with all of the animal statues so I thought this would be a huge win and its all fenced off so nice and safe.
The first morning she was crying (I felt awful and the instructor reassured me as its not uncommon) but by the third day she seemed ok with it, no problems saying I don't want to go, but did get a bit upset when I left her. The instructor said she was ok during the lesson.
I think she did enjoy parts of it, being on ski's etc - BUT I think she was a bit too young to be in a massive group of kids and without anyone else speaking her language!
To be fair she was a trooper thinking about it now!!!!

The biggest issue was tiredness, they had to transport them to the next station to start lessons and they had to walk some of this.
I watched them on occasion mid lesson and they were going up in the travelator and then skiing down but it was very gentle so they were shuffling and a little bit skiing - was so cool to watch them!
The instructor said her skiing was ok for her age but just too tired and missed us.
On the last day where you go to watch, she wouldn't ski and just wanted to sit with us Smile

She's started school now so used to being with teachers and away more, but I am reluctant to put her in a non-English school as I don't want her to feel left out.
Hence my post! Smile

If she is used to going to nursery regularly then give it a shot but just think about language barrier.
The instructors may speak great English and normally would be great, but for little kids I imagine they would want to be able to speak/communicate to each other in a familiar way!

Also make sure they have a snack in their pocket, on reflection I should have given her a chocolate bar as opposed to something healthyish! Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swskier wrote:
@adriangrogan, I don't know for definite, but almost certainly at not even 3 years old, there won't be that much skiing, mainly playing in the snow and they might push them down a small hill in a straight line, but certainly don't expect your child to come back able to snow plough everywhere.

Just imagine nursery like they might go to in the UK with some outdoor fun in the snow, and that's probably more like what you'll get.

I could be wrong though, and happy for any parents with experience to correct me!

Thanks for that. Yes I shouldn't have even used the word "lessons" in my post. Having fun and safe play in the snow is all I'd be looking for.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Old Fartbag wrote:
@adriangrogan, We used Evo2 quite a lot, when the Kids were young - but it's so long ago, I can't remember just how young they were....though I suspect they were a little older than that.

I have yet to have a bad experience with EV02.

Thank you.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lauralime wrote:
Quote:

Our daughter wasn't quite 3 when we put her into ESF in Les Arcs. We hadn't been skiing for 4 years so were desperate to go and I really want her to have the opportunity to learn when little and not so fearful!
The reason we chose ESF is they have the kindergarten (piou piou) with all of the animal statues so I thought this would be a huge win and its all fenced off so nice and safe.
The first morning she was crying (I felt awful and the instructor reassured me as its not uncommon) but by the third day she seemed ok with it, no problems saying I don't want to go, but did get a bit upset when I left her. The instructor said she was ok during the lesson.
I think she did enjoy parts of it, being on ski's etc - BUT I think she was a bit too young to be in a massive group of kids and without anyone else speaking her language!
To be fair she was a trooper thinking about it now!!!!

The biggest issue was tiredness, they had to transport them to the next station to start lessons and they had to walk some of this.
I watched them on occasion mid lesson and they were going up in the travelator and then skiing down but it was very gentle so they were shuffling and a little bit skiing - was so cool to watch them!
The instructor said her skiing was ok for her age but just too tired and missed us.
On the last day where you go to watch, she wouldn't ski and just wanted to sit with us Smile

She's started school now so used to being with teachers and away more, but I am reluctant to put her in a non-English school as I don't want her to feel left out.
Hence my post! Smile

If she is used to going to nursery regularly then give it a shot but just think about language barrier.
The instructors may speak great English and normally would be great, but for little kids I imagine they would want to be able to speak/communicate to each other in a familiar way!

Also make sure they have a snack in their pocket, on reflection I should have given her a chocolate bar as opposed to something healthyish! Sad

Thanks for sharing your experience. Her being lonely or missing us is definitely what i'm afraid of. We won't go with ESF as we've had some mixed experiences. Not sure what the prevailing language among kids in Evo2 would be (in a non half term week)? We're going mid March so hoping that the weather will be a bit milder for the little ones than earlier in the season. Of course if she doesn't take to it we can always take her out.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
adriangrogan wrote:
Not sure what the prevailing language among kids in Evo2 would be (in a non half term week)?

IME The amount of Instructors in Evo2 that speak decent English, is quite high. If you ask at the time of booking and get an undertaking - I'd expect that to be honoured.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@adriangrogan, The original family who set this up have retired but Ski One, a small local French school, took on the role, in a very similar vein. Highly recommended and handy for the Bus stop if you are not in Val Claret.

https://www.skione-tignes.com/en/private-kids-club-les-marmottons/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chocksaway wrote:
@adriangrogan, The original family who set this up have retired but Ski One, a small local French school, took on the role, in a very similar vein. Highly recommended and handy for the Bus stop if you are not in Val Claret.

https://www.skione-tignes.com/en/private-kids-club-les-marmottons/

Thanks for the recommendation.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My fave English ski schools in tignes are TDC and BASS. I don't have kids, but I've definitely seen youngsters on group lessons with the tdc guys. They are fantastic at making snow sports fun! Worth giving them a look!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all - I'll check out all your recommendations. I think I've had a lesson with TDC before!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chocksaway wrote:
New Generation - mixed nationalities but excellent English.

Ultimate All Brits, I think

Hi - did you mean UltimateSnowSports?
ski holidays
@lauralime, we've used Evo2 many times and always had a good experience. We're going with Oxygene this time, never used them before, but they make a point of saying on their website that lessons will be taught in English. They kids groups are split by age 3-4, 5-12 etc. I believe that it's a maximum of 3 kids per instructor in the 3-4 age group.
snow report
@lauralime, Yip, they generally go by just Ultimate.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy