Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions on high ski-touring boots

Poster: A snowHead
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name, Yeah. Looking at the prices in other stores they don't really seem more expensive than the other options.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BobinCH wrote:
May be something to do with the fact that it’s 300g lighter according to the Lange specs?

I've seen videos claiming that the Lange Pro Tour weighs only 1300g / boot. (don't believe em though)

The reason I bought the scales in the earlier pic that I posted was to weigh kit esp. ski boots and skis, not to bake cakes.
I don't trust any marketing specifications, salesman or bootfitters (until he/she has delivered) because their job in most cases is ultimately to sell what they stock so most will big up what's on their shelves.
On my quest to find something that fits my feet I turn up with my old boots (to compare the fit), a tape measure, scales and bits of wood (to do a shell check).
If a sales person asks "can I help you" I'll say "yes, pls show me where the ski touring boots are then leave me alone".
You get a lot of strange looks esp. when you start ripping the liners out and weighing stuff but it's fun.

People will probably go for the lange because of the narrow fit. What other touring boots are 98mm width (or narrower) but offer the same level of downhill performance while being lighter, the Atomic Hawxmaybe or Rossignol ALLTRACK ELITE 130 LT?
Probably a good boot for someone who wants a one boot solution but only spends a small fraction of their time touring (infrequent short day tours).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
May be something to do with the fact that it’s 300g lighter according to the Lange specs?

I've seen videos claiming that the Lange Pro Tour weighs only 1300g / boot. (don't believe em though)

It says 1520g for a 26.5 vs circa 1800g for the normal XT. You’d have to measure them to know if it’s accurate and no doubt part of it is a thinner liner but to answer the question from @CH20 that’s obviously why people are interested in them. He seems to be suggesting it’s essentially the same boot so maybe it’s just Lange marketing - who knows?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH,
Hopefully I can find both Lange boots in the same size and weigh them or at least confirm if the touring version is around 1530g.

In the touring boot test I posted earlier the Lange was the best descender but worst ascender.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DB, Lange site says 1,520g vs 1,790g for xt3 130 https://www.lange-boots.com/en-nz/product/xt3-tour-pro

Mrs U convinced the XT3s downhill exactly like her race boots (not so surprising as same last apparently).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The difference between a good and bad touring liner look to be max. 200g. (400g vs 200g)
It‘s possible the tour version has a 100g lighter shell and a 200g lighter liner.

The standard shell looks to be around 1400g with a 350g liner. Weights in this link.
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-backcountry-ski-boots

The range of motion on the standard boot is quoted as 34 deg whereas the tour is quoted as 53 deg so maybe the shells are really different on the tour model.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 16-10-21 20:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’ve never skied Langes as have relatively wide feet and Nordica always fitted miles better. Now I’ve got Zero-G’s and they’re good. But lots of people i know (and love Toofy Grin ) swear by Lange boots after many happy years with them so Lange offering a 1500g touring boot is snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure if it's true but the website says the pro is Grilamid and the normal is PU
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

The reason I bought the scales in the earlier pic that I posted was to weigh kit esp. ski boots and skis, not to bake cakes.
I don't trust any marketing specifications, salesman or bootfitters (until he/she has delivered) because their job in most cases is ultimately to sell what they stock so most will big up what's on their shelves.
On my quest to find something that fits my feet I turn up with my old boots (to compare the fit), a tape measure, scales and bits of wood (to do a shell check).
If a sales person asks "can I help you" I'll say "yes, pls show me where the ski touring boots are then leave me alone".
You get a lot of strange looks esp. when you start ripping the liners out and weighing stuff but it's fun.

People will probably go for the lange because of the narrow fit. What other touring boots are 98mm width (or narrower) but offer the same level of downhill performance while being lighter, the Atomic Hawxmaybe or Rossignol ALLTRACK ELITE 130 LT?
Probably a good boot for someone who wants a one boot solution but only spends a small fraction of their time touring (infrequent short day tours).

My daughter is in XT 3 110W LV at 97mm last. As you say, if you want a boot for 80/20 lift/touring in a performance fit for a narrow foot there aren't that many good options and the Langes are definitely one.

I've just replaced my Dalbello Lupo 120AX with Dalbello Lupo 130C (essentially the LV version with a little more stiffening in the cuff) which feels even snugger than I was expecting and might be an option for narrower feet who get on with 3 piece boots
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dulcamara wrote:
Not sure if it's true but the website says the pro is Grilamid and the normal is PU

Yup this is true, but would probably account for around 50gms difference, the rest will be the liner and the removable soles.
My main issue is that the liner will be the main contribution, and as people are looking for a narrow fit from this model, I think the most part will go for a more substantial liner. The replaceable soles are a benefit in my opinion, making the boots more versatile across a variety of bindings/skis. It being Grilamid makes working on the boots a dream, PU is also easy though, anything but Pebax to be fair.
It deserves it's place on our wall, it's pretty, it's light, it's powerful, it's LV, but maybe at the price with a change of liner most people would be more happy/none the wiser in the XT3 LV 120.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Zero G, budget aside is a ridiculous boot, it's almost 50% of our sales, it does everything so damn well. Tecnica will have to change it soon, which scares the hell out of me, they'll be along shortly with their lighter weight Touring /Ski Mo model, but it will not and cannot come close to the Zero G, hands down the best boot we've ever worked with.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah. They just got it right.

I heard the technica liners pack out pretty quick though? My Mach1s are already significantly less painful than at first Razz
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tried on the Zero-G Pro today. It was a better fit than expected. They only had them in a size just too big for me so going back new week to try the smaller boot.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Could I have advice please? I have old Lange XT3 which I use for everything. I'm getting new boots this year for touring weeks / longer tours. I've tried the lighter Lange boots and the lower flex Technica tours, both fit like slippers. The pro tours are coming into town this / next week.
I don't jump much, weigh 83 kg + gear and will be looking to drive kastle tx 103. My feeling is go for the Technica if fit is the same as lighter and a bigger difference from the XT3s. Is there anything else I should think of? Thanks for help.
snow conditions
@motdoc, I'm slightly surprised both Langes and Technicas work for you, aiui the lasts are quite different shapes (Mrs U has skied Langes since skiing was invented and does not like Technicas at all, I am the opposite).

Plus fit like "slippers" smells like "too big" to me ... My Technicas fit like snug gloves ...
snow conditions
I am blessed of the foot gods and don't get cold feet either!
latest report
I ended up getting a pair of Atomic Hawk Ultra XTDs. Hope I made the right decision for what I want.
snow report
Nice, enjoy em! Let us know how it goes.
snow report
dulcamara wrote:

This needs to be double checked - I had a read the below comment on Blister Gear last week, and the XT3 tour line don't make mention of Grilamid anymore.

Quote:
When we first posted this First Look, Lange said the XT3 140 was going to use a dual-core lower shell with a mix of PU and Grilamid, hence the comments above. But then this summer, Lange told us that they had decided to just do a PU lower shell for the 140 because they wouldn’t be able to recycle a mixed-plastic shell of PU / Grilamid and the improved skiing performance of full-PU offset any weight savings of Grilamid, so we updated the specs here.

So, for the production versions available this season, Neither the XT3 140 nor the XT3 130 use Grilamid — both of them feature Lange’s “dual-core” Polyurethane lower shell and a Polypropylene upper cuff.
ski holidays
XT3 Tour Pro Shell is 150gms lighter, Mixed Grilamid, Liner is 80gms lighter. ROM identical.
snow report
@BobinCH, which after market liner did you go with?
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:

Look at page 1 (Sidas but not sure which model)

More info in this thread. I bought the same boots and am considering the same liners.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4759882&highlight=sidas#4759882

Looks like it‘s this model
https://www.ellis-brigham.com/sidas-central-removable-tongue-slim-710058
latest report
Mother hucker wrote:

I have this liner
https://www.sidas.ch/fr/chaussures-chaussons/307-thermo-crt.html

And this booster strap
https://www.sidas.ch/fr/accessoires-chaussures/187-powerstrap-men-3661267080456.html

Also have some foam stuck on the front of the tongue, a Velcro wedge at the back and a lifter under the heel - basically copied the mods from the guy who runs the ski shop I got them from who is an expert tourer and good skier.

The liners are very comfortable for touring and all the mods add up to a nice, comfy fit. My mate has the stiff Intuition liners in his and handling those they are much stiffer, but apparently less comfortable. I usually like my boots as stiff as possible but have to say I’m very happy with them the way they are for skiing, driving a pair of DPS Pagoda Tour 112’s with ATK FR14 bindings. And when you’re spending hours skinning on them that comfort is great.
latest report
I have had the Technica Zero G since they came out four(?) years ago. I replaced the original liners with Intuition Tour Pro’s at the beginning of last season. The liner seems to work well with this boot. Very comfortable going uphill and great hold for descents.
They are simply the best boots I have ever owned, for both touring and alpine skiing.
snow report
I'm with @zzz, remarkably good boots. I am on original liner but probs needs replacing ...
latest report
These are the liners he has - red colour. They are very stiff! Seem to be stiffer than my old Intuition Tour Pro liners
https://intuitionliners.com/shop/pro-tongue/
snow report
I’ve also got some wrap liners but haven’t tried them yet. Supposed to be better for skiing but not as comfortable for touring
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, ive just ended up going to surefoot in VDI(was recommended to see Mark in there by a few differnt people). Their assent liner is much like the intuition liner looks similar to yours. I've fitted the wc booster strap as well.
my stock liner was toast after about 10 days
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy