Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2021-22

Poster: A snowHead
@flangesax, I do. One other thing I think we learned today.If you use the "My Ski Amade" route to pay for your Lift Passes, only buy the one for the person who owns the account. It would appear that if you do more than one person on the same account (even if they are also a My Ski Amade member), the second pass does not automatically load and you have to go to the Pass Office for them to do it manually.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lots of resorts opening up this weekend. Zauchensee on the 4th, and Obertauern on Friday 3rd, so I guess Flachau won't be far behind them we have so much snow!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Team Ski Amade. With the change to the rules for returning to the UK, where are the best test centres to get Rapid Antigen Tests in our area? The Flachau test centre has not yet said they will be open on the weekends, which is exactly when many of our guests will need them!! Specifically I have guests who will need to take them on 26th Dec 21?

The UK rules on the .gov pages state that it must be a "supervised test", which means going to a test site. I will check with the centre here in Flachau on Monday, but it looks like many will be closed on 26thDec 21. Any ideas?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, using the registration at the Land Salzburg website you can see which locations are available. Clearly it is less at weekends, but 25. Dec is available.

https://anmeldung.salzburg-testet.at/#/public

Also, at the Apotheker there are supervised tests, these will be open on 24. Dec in the morning.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do you need a supervised test? Can't you self test using uk private test? https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england

Probably moot point as I don't think I can be fooking arsed either way what with the risk of getting positive test and being quarantined. Not sure I can be arsed to get a booster this week either, the main benefit for me was to ensure I could travel to Austria next year. Very disappointing situation.

I see it's snowing again today, those that can enjoy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mankei, Thanks for that. Filzmoos and evening appointments only I see, but that might solve the problem. Hopefully there will be something more local to Flachau.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waynos wrote:
Do you need a supervised test? Can't you self test using uk private test? https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england

So, I checked up and it would appear that for now at least, you can pre-order these in the UK and "Self-Test", While this doesn't sound very reliable to me, it would save a trip to Filzmoos for the same test. Purchase link here:
https://www.covid19-testing.org/pre-arrival-in-the-uk-antigen-test-providers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lift Pass and COVID Pass. I was at Zauchensee today. The ticket barriers now ONLY work if your COVID Pass is linked to your ski pass. If you haven't done it in advance, the machine goes red and shows visually that you need to go and get your COVID Pass linked.

For most visitors, that means you show it when you purchase your ticket at the ticket office or you need to upload your "2G" proof online when you buy tickets. For those with My Ski Amade Cards, you may need to go to the Ticket Office if you haven't done the online thing. I did and my pass is now linked for the season.

NB. If you upload a UK NHS COVID Pass, it will only be valid for 30 Days. For seasonnaires, just go to the ticket office at a quiet time and they'll add it manually for as long as you're "2G".
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FLACHAU COVID TEST CENTRE UPDATE Very Happy

"From Wednesday, December 15, 2021, the team from the Covid-19 test center in Flachau will be available to you with the usual offer on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Sundays from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m."

Antigen rapid tests and PCR tests are possible free of charge for all persons insured in Austria (guests, locals and staff) with a valid e-card, Still a fee (€25?) for other visitors.

https://www.testzentrum-flachau.com/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Staff Shortages? I've read on other threads that some resorts and services are suffering staff shortages this year. Here in Ski Amade I have spoken to a few service providers and I'm hearing that there is a shortage of cleaning staff, drivers (commercial type), retail and Bar staff. It would appear that due to COVID restrictions or lack of vaccinations that a lot of our European friends are either not travelling or can't travel. It will be interesting to see if it begins to bite, but expect higher charges for some services. Plus, no seasonal Brits of course. St Johann (and higher authorities) not issuing any seasonal work visas unless you can prove you worked last (non!!) season.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 13-12-21 10:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, can a local council issue visas? Isn't the decsion on who gets a visa down to the government?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, @holidayloverxx, Visa D is issued by the embassy. The applicant has to have a firm job offer and proof of address in Austria, but seasonal work often includes accommodation.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
Staff Shortages? I've read on other threads that some resorts and services are suffering staff shortages this year. Here in Ski Amade I have spoken to a few service providers and I'm hearing that there is a shortage of cleaning staff, drivers (commercial type), retail and Bar staff. It would appear that due to COVID restrictions or lack of vaccinations that a lot of our European friends are either not travelling or can't travel. It will be interesting to see if it begins to bite, but expect higher charges for some services. Plus, no seasonal Brits of course. St Johann not issuing any seasonal work visas unless you can prove you worked last (non!!) season.

I know the D Visa comes from the Embassy but local businesses are on a blanket no to hiring Brits (Post Brexit). It is not worth the trouble. Without a firm job offer you cannot apply for the D Visa. The business has to show that no locals or other EU citizens are available to provide the service (quite what proof is not specified), then they can obtain the necessary approval for the D Visa. Or, the seasonnaire can prove they were employed during the 20/21 season. For example. Ski Company X is based in UK and has a business licence to operate in Austria. They can bring their British employees to work directly for the business but those same employees cannot supplement income by working for a Ski School, cleaning, driving or in a bar without a D Visa. This doesn't apply to Artikle 50 holders obviously.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, so it's not St Jo who are not issuing visas, but they have said they will not hire Brits. Interesting when they can't get anyone from the EU to do the work either
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@holidayloverxx, Yes. What I hear from business owners is that the paperwork is too time-consuming and the various authorities in Austria, local and national are working to rule. But you are correct, you'd think the labour shortage would be an incentive to be more pro-active but not yet it seems.
latest report
Not ski Amade but I know 2 Brit ski instructors who at least have appointments in London at Austrian Embassy for D visa to enable them to work this season. One of them was here last season and she was the only instructor I actually saw working (not much) in the whole season, the other wasn't here last year but has worked many seasons previously (v small ski school, not where I work). So it's not impossible but does take some commitment from the employer to make it happen.
snow report
Hi Folks,

So out today in Flachau/Wagrain on what felt like the first real day of the season. Car Parks seemed pretty full and there were groups of people at the usual choke points. Mask wearing on the lifts pretty much universal but no waiting for lifts and the coffee and lunch stops seemed remarkably empty. Not sure if this is because people are avoiding them, or there are just so few people who've made the trip. Did notice that a number of the Mountain Establishments have not opened. My first thought was that this is just down to lack of punters, but on talking to some of the proprietors the issue of staff shortages came up again. Have also bumped into a few British families today who until Thursday were going to France! All those I spoke to said no issues getting into Austria with kids (which is good news) but the Jury's out on what happens from midnight.
snow conditions
@RedandWhiteFlachau, who hasn't opened please? I imagine that as a lot of on mountain restaurants are owned by the hotels they will be consolidating staff
snow report
@holidayloverxx, Hi, the most notable closure was the Wagrainerhaus, which as you probably know is owned by the same family as the Almstadl. The latter is open, but no guests higher up, so no smoker on the terrace etc. It would appear that the larger organisations are consolidating operations. In town, the Salzbugerhof Hotel has not opened yet and walking around this evening I'd say we're at about 1/3 capacity. I think a lot of people have played safe for Christmas Week but I know from ski school bookings that it will get busier next week.
snow report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, We noticed some huts at Flachau only opening at lunchtime which made me late for a mid morning beer Shocked
snow conditions
@RedandWhiteFlachau, thanks
snow report
I am considering a short solo break to Flachau in the coming weeks and the tourism website arrivals section directs me to a website called neutouristik.at for shared transfers. Anyone used them or have any other suggestions? With a group of 2 or more I would just get a taxi but seems a bit pricey for 1 and never transferred by public transport. It would be a mid morning Sunday arrival and early Friday return. Car hire crazy, as noted in this or other threads
ski holidays
@toyah807, we use huber reisen based in Flachau. A shared transfer is usually a minibus so only a couple/few drop offs. I haven't looked recently but for donkeys years it has €50 pp return. Forget public transport...there isn't any.

Just looked at that website, I wonder if they use the local companies

Looking at their about us they own Huber now. Go with it, you won't do better
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, really helpful stuff, thanks. I saw/ was tempted by the 50pp return but no info about times so maybe I will click a bit deeper into the process.
snow report
@toyah807, the times will be pretty much to suit your arrival/departure as they use minibuses. A friend once was second drop but the first was on Wagrain as her days weren't standard arrival, which yours aren't. So you might find the length of time a bit longer than normal but you shouldn't be hanging around waiting to get away. You have to book on advance...you tell them your flight details and they work out the timings. Occasionally they use a coach, so lots of drop offs but I've only known that twice in 10 years

There isn't really any other option apart from car hire. There are other companies but they all charge pretty much the same and don't have the benefit of being based in Flachau.

Where are you staying?
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, nothing so organised I am afraid! A late change at work might mean I can now get the week of the 15th Jan off. I am juggling several plans for January but this one appeals most to my idea of a few days skiing/somewhere I have never been/ minimising numbers etc. I was planning to use the flachau.com tourist info page or a couple of Pensions I have previously contacted for my accommodation, I have done a search already for ideas, but always happy to hear suggestions. As an aside I hadn't actually checked the private transfer costs on the website you updated me about and in fairness, 100 euros one way isn't actually outrageous.
ski holidays
@toyah807, happy to advise on location when you've found somewhere you fancy. I have my own place near the achterjet
snow report
@holidayloverxx, appreciated, thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@toyah807, I never quite understand why folks don't use the excellent public transport, especially when you probably took the train to the airport in UK. For Saturday 15th. Come out the terminal, walk 50m, jump on the bus to Salzburg HBF (€2). 10 min ride to the HBF. Train to Altenmarkt (1hr 30 mins, 1 change https://tickets.oebb.at/de/ticket/timetable), runs hourly until 18.30 (€14). Then the Post Bus meets the trains and is free to Flachau (10 mins). Let me know where you're staying by PM and I'll tell which stop to get off at. Simples if you don't mind pulling your bag. If you want showing around or someone to ski with, let us know, we're here all season.
ski holidays
Update on the "My Ski Amade" Cards. So after 4 attempts with different accounts, we've now abandoned the use of the "My Ski Amade" Cards doubling up as lift passes. Challenges with software caused glitches on all 4, requiring multiple trips to the ticket office to have them reloaded. Once they were all loaded with the appropriate pass info, the same issues occured with linking "2G" data. They are also not as robust as the actual ski pass cards and bend easily, even if left in pockets, at which point.....you guessed it, you start all over again. Mine lasted longest, I got to 28th Dec before finally giving up. Despite the card reader showing everything correct the "2G" simply wouldn't work at the gate. I now have a good, solid, old fashioned season pass. Maybe next year?
ski holidays
@RedandWhiteFlachau, you are very good to set all that out - I didn't know that the Post Bus meets the train so that's useful to know....but I won't be doing it with 3 changes and the likelihood of hanging around for train (I've never seen a connection that worked very well) and walking from the bus stop for the sake of £50 euro return door to door and only an hour's journey. While the service clearly exists its far from "excellent"
latest report
@holidayloverxx, Depending on the train, you may not even have to change. The 12.17 goes direct Salzburg HBF to Radstadt. Same deal on the buses from Radstadt to Flachau too with an extra 5 min journey time and the train journey is more scenic than the A10. When are you coming out?
snow report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, things is the flights rarely line up very well with the direct train - in fact never every time I've looked.

Hoping for March...lets see
latest report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, @holidayloverxx, thanks for your help and information. I plumped for week of 29th Jan, staying at Landhaus Innrain. Opted for shared transfers, though I may turn the sofa upside down and see if enough to pay for private ones drops out. Fairly self sufficient and looking forward to the peace and quiet of a solo holiday, in the current world at least, but happy with company, especially if those people know all corners of the ski area.. Piste skier, happy to cover as much distance as i can and would hope to visit Schladming for a day too.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 9-01-22 7:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@toyah807, I think I know it as the Rainerhof...just down the street from me. Its in a great location for the achterjet and the ski bus. I think one of my friends stayed there and liked it. Seriously, the shared transfer will be fine but you'll need transport for schladming...unless redandwhiteflachau will take you Little Angel
latest report
@toyah807, @holidayloverxx, If you buy me or Mrs RandW lunch. Very Happy Sent you a PM with our whatsapp No.
snow conditions
@RedandWhiteFlachau, was lovely to meet you and MrsRedandwhiteflachau today! Wasn't it a gloriously empty piste day Eh oh! Eh oh! we are heading to zauch as said if you fancy it tomorrow just let us know!
@holidayloverxx, I noticed the Wagrainerhaus was actually open a couple of days ago, when are you out?
snow report
Kooky wrote:
@RedandWhiteFlachau, was lovely to meet you and MrsRedandwhiteflachau today! Wasn't it a gloriously empty piste day Eh oh! Eh oh! we are heading to zauch as said if you fancy it tomorrow just let us know!
@holidayloverxx, I noticed the Wagrainerhaus was actually open a couple of days ago, when are you out?

You both too. Still trying to see exactly how much fresh snow we'll get tonight, may just have to check the rock in the morning. Will message you if we head up. Very Happy
latest report
@Kooky, aiming for 5th March
ski holidays
We Powder Alert folks. Bring it on. https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/283352?fbclid=IwAR1Vxl2VDoTMrM0WUFhALF8iR5jao0738FPp29rKxhYhPhkWVnJLPh6CpfU
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy