Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting back into dryslope pole bashing - ski advice

Poster: A snowHead
I used to bash the gates in the mid 80s to mid 90s on a pair of 203 slalom skis with some camping mat gaffer taped to my arms, before quitting plastic and chasing snow in the mountains.

Since the mountains seem so far away right now, I fancy getting back into gate practice to liven up sessions on the dry slopes and I want my own skis at some point so I can sharpen and wax them and get used to them.

I'm 183cm, 79kg former keen dry slope racer and instructor so have some (very dusty) gate skills.
155cm looks to be a common length, sounds short to me but things have changed!
Volkl, Fischer, Head all seem to pop up - I don't want something too noodly, nor too aggressive, to hinder the comeback!
Any advice on what to look for and where to hunt down a deal?

I've got some poles with handguards with retro points galore, will get some rubber bungs for the tips.
The mind will be more willing that body so I expect I will probably clatter some gates hard. Looks like a lid with a chin guard is a good idea?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Diggery, Yes you'll want 155s (Ladies SLs) -- Probably the best way back is to get some secondhand ones from your local club, ebay, skibay etc, with just enough edge left. You'll find it a bit (well a lot) more turny than it was when we were all on straight skis.. You will want a helmet with a chin guard -- leg guards too. Motorcyle gloves with knuckle protection are a lot cheaper the ski racing gloves, and you don't need the warmth in the summer anyway. Super sharp edges, super hard wax are all just as you will remember them. The bad news is that Male Masters is one of the more competative age groups.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Diggery, These are popular with the mature male skiers. https://my-race.com/8-ski . Yes a chin guard and shin guard are useful.

Where are you based?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, no doubt I'll find it a lot more turny! I had a pair of Volkl P50 piste skis about 15 years ago but everything I've had since then has been aimed at all mountain - 100mm wide, rocker etc.

I've had a good look on here and eBay, not spotted anything yet but wasn't sure what to look for.

I had a few OK races 'back in the day' but under no doubt I'll not bother any masters these days - not touched plastic in about 18 years but have been indoors as well as a good amount of time on the real stuff.

Thanks for the link johnE - I trained at Gloucester many years ago! Those Atomic Race SLs look fairly reasonable, that would be in budget.

I'll be looking at the Northern slopes - Rossendale, Pendle, Swadlincote, maybe Castleford. I might try some of the fun race series or gate practice.

I've got shin guards on the acquire list too!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Diggery, For a list of club contacts have a look at https://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/clubs-facilities/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Diggery, I'm not sure anyone races at Swadlincote anymore, the surface was changed from Dendix to whatever the other John Nike owned slopes use.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rjs, Swadlincote was changed back to dendix (or a similar make) a couple of years ago. Midland Ski Club have race training there on Monday and Wednesday evenings. The race acadamys have quite a few traing camps there as well. It is a very good facility
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sharks ski club run gates on club days at Swadlingcote, I'm hoping to join them to dust off the cobwebs.

Thanks johnE - Monday would be good too, might look into joining the Midlands crew.

I'm off there for a free ski soon, will see if the technique is still there!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had the slope to ourselves at Swadlincote last night and I had fun trying to work out what I was doing. The chap working at the slope said I looked like a racer and suggested I come to a gate session, so I must have remembered something from 18 years ago!

I could feel the limits of the hire skis, in terms of glide and grip.

At risk of being 'gazumped' I've found some decent candidate skis on line.

Nordica Dobermann SLR in 155cm

From what I understand the SLR is a step down from an FIS ski and pitched at "expert piste performance". Reviews say "ideal 'beer league' ski" for masters racers. Sounds promising. I'm a Nordica fan and have had their boots for decades - from the NR 981's, Dobermanns's and through to the Pro Machines.

Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Diggery, Sounds ideal to start with, no need for a super stiff ski...... yet................ Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Diggery, I forgot to mention that you will need a ski work bench, files and edge guide (and a glove) to enable you to sharpen your and the little one's skis prior to every trip.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The only super stiff thing at the moment are my inner thigh muscles after Friday! Very Happy

Cheers, got all the service kit already as I look after the family gear for snow and I used to prep my kit for racing. We're converting the garage just now and a dedicated ski work area is in the plans!

Great tip on the motorbike gloves

Decisions decisions....

Dobermann SLR, could be a bargain but are in EU so playing Brexit roulette on VAT.

Head WC Rebel iSL RD. Labelled as a junior ski but evidently ok for adults.

Or the Atomics from my-race which sound like a full FIS ski and might give me a kicking to start with.

Several strong options...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Diggery, These https://my-race.com/ski-slalom/2-atomic-race-sl-ski.html would be fine...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I looked at those and they don't seem to be in stock, these ones are, not sure what the difference is

https://my-race.com/ski-slalom/1-atomic-race-d2-sl-ski.html

Considering them and a couple of other cheaper options
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Diggery, That's a stiffer one! IMV a bit too stiff --- I've had several peeps try them and move to something a bit newer and softer....
snow report
Thanks

Decision made....

Those sound too stiff
The Heads sold while I was dithering

I've gone for the Dobermann SLR. I've skied the 'full fat' FIS version some years ago and found them a blast but demanding so looking forward to these.

£239 posted. Good condition. Let's see if I get import fees on top.

Got a lid on the way to see if it fits then time to bash some gates again!
snow report
@Diggery, I realise that it is too late now, but the difference between the 2 skis is that the https://my-race.com/ski-slalom/1-atomic-race-d2-sl-ski.html has a extra stiffeneing piece along the top. I ski on them and a friend has the https://my-race.com/ski-slalom/2-atomic-race-sl-ski.html skis. Poor skier that I am I cannot really tell the difference on a dry slope.

Hope to see you at Swadlincote at some point. Or even in a race.
snow report
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like I have a plan B with the Atomic's in case of need. In the meantime I can spend the difference on some pads.

I'm looking forward to the kit turning up, then will be heading to Swadlincote for sure, will let you know!
ski holidays
The Nordica Dobermann skis finally arrived, look fantastic and no other charges!
I'll slap some Polar X on them and get ready for some Dendix action.
Picked up a POC Skull X lid and chin guard to protect me as I slide and crash toward the gates.
Will wear my MTB knee pads until I see if I can still get close enough to need proper shin pads.

Bad news is I crashed my bike and dislocated my toe this evening. I did push back up and have another go and get a Strava PB, but it was agony.
Just been to A&E where I ended up putting it back myself (with instructions from the Doc), but probably shouldn't ski for a bit, at least not Saturday as planned. Confused
snow conditions
@Diggery,

Quote:

but probably shouldn't ski for a bit, at least not Saturday as planned.

Hope you repair quickly. Let us know how you get one when you do get back on....
snow report
Toe healed up pretty quick, discharged from fracture clinic so took some paracetamol and wedged my feet into my boots this morning.

Skis were great. Not much to compare them to but night and day better than hire skis, not least due to a proper edge and wax.

They looked tiny on my feet, nearly 30cm shorter than me. Very turny, lots of fun. Wasn't really aware of them, in a good way. They just gripped and did what I wanted.

POC helmet super comfy.

Knuckles took a rapping even with the Leki guards.

Felt really good blasting through the poles after 25 years off, still as average as I was, like I never took a break!

MTB pads work ok but will probably get some black Leki shin guards as I took a gate to the pad gap! They'll match the skis and boots too!
snow conditions
Jumping on this thread a bit.

I went race training for the first time last night with Western Counties at Gloucester ski centre, and really enjoyed it and am going to be going along weekly from now.

Want to get a set of shin guards and pole guards.

Have seen these shin guards, designed for ice hockey but do people think they'd be suitable for skiing with?

https://www.muziker.co.uk/bauer-nsx-shin-guard-16

They're 16"/40cm, think thats about right?
snow conditions
Jump in, the more the merrier!

I'm bitten by the bug and back into gates as much as I can - have done a couple of training sessions now and raced at Rossendale and Pendle. Looking forward to trying Gloucester some time, not skied there since about 1991!

Shin pads - my wife got my Leki's for my birthday, very kind of her! They are not cheap but fit very well with boots. The lower section is contoured to sit nicely on a boot cuff and it's obvious when you wear them why a large number of people wear them.

I used to use motocross pads of some type and they did the trick. Those hockey pads look OK too. As long as they sit nicely over the boot, stay put and cover your knees they will do the job and are much cheaper.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 19-10-21 22:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Diggery, thanks!

I'll give them a punt as at that price, they're about half the price i've seen anywhere else for ski specific guards!
latest report
@swskier,
Quote:

I'll give them a punt as at that price, they're about half the price i've seen anywhere else for ski specific guards!

Not sure they will fit around your boot... Puzzled
latest report
@ski, fortunately the postage was loads, so I haven't bought them. Just in the process of getting in to the racers skibay group and will try and check some out on there 2nd hand
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy