Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Patrol E1 SL – 22L vs 30L with photos

Poster: A snowHead
I decided to order a new airbag, and have had my eye on the Scott E1, which has a rechargeable battery rather than a canister. I'm only 163cm tall, so ordered the 22L which is SL (short length), but subsequently found out that the 30L is also available in SL as well as the longer version for full-sized adults. Having already placed the order for the 22L, but still being unsure which was best for me, I ordered a 30L SL as well, with the intention of sending one back.

I weighed and did a pack test with both models, and took some photos as that may help someone else decide.

Orange – 22L (only available in SL), 2.5kg empty, 799.95€
Blue – 30L SL, 2.7kg empty, 767.20€

The blue one has a goggle pocket on the outside front, which makes it a little bit taller, but the back area is the same size.

As you can see, the battery unit takes up quite a lot of space. Also note the different designs of the shovel and probe storage area in the front flap. The larger bag has a much deeper pocket which keeps everything in place a lot better when opening the main zip.

This is what is going in:

In that picture, you can see:
    Skins
    Lightweight down jacket
    Gloves
    Mid layer fleece
    Protein bars
    Shovel
    Probe
    Ski lock
    Camera and spare battery
    First aid kit
    Penknife and tools
    Glove liners
    Goggles
    Sunglasses
    Buff
    Emergency blanket
    Water bottle
    Hat

I don't always pack everything there, and some items I would probably be wearing, but assuming I've forgotten something, it's representative. I don't own any crampons, so you won't see those.

First up, the 22L. As you can see, the jumper doesn't fit and would have to be attached to the outside Confused

It's pretty rammed in there.

The 30L packs much more comfortably.

There's still a fair bit of space in both pockets:

It weighs in at 6.9kg when packed with this stuff, including a full water bottle, and fits me like this:

I think the 30L wins for me, as I can't justify spending 800€ on a bag that won't fit all my stuff in. Even if I'm wearing the mid layer, I'd still like some space for a buttie!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If anyone wants any measurements or info about the orange 22L, be quick as it will shortly be heading back to the retailer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Scarlet, I was going to ask in the other thread when you were asking all your questions about sizing why didn't you just compare the two you now had, job done now Laughing

And if you start to do regular touring then you will find crampons are essential at some point.

And your post has just reminded me to buy a couple of things for our packs, clip-on water bottle carriers, and belt stash camera/phone cases, just that Amazon France is a bit of a pain to order along with postal charges whereas UK Amazon Prime I get them tomorrow.

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarlet wrote:
.......I think the 30L (SL) wins for me.....

Told ya wink

Buying the 22L E1 is follie for all but the severely vertically challenged.

+1 for for clip-on water bottles but get one that's collapsable when empty to take up less space. My favourite is this one as it's bomber and has the bite value so it just hangs upside down: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/camelbak-quick-stow-flask-500ml
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I could really do with a full @spyderjon demo of this, but failing that I have some questions:

Assuming I’ll be mains charging with the USB, should I also still add the 2x AA batteries?

Does the helmet carrier attach to the daisy chains?

What is the bottom centre Velcro tab for? Ice axe stabilisation?

To carry skis diagonally, pull the tab on the wire next to aforementioned Velcro tab, slide skis in and clip with the strap at the top?

To carry skis on the sides, just use the upper and lower side clips?

Why does the bottom of the shovel pocket have Velcro seals?

Poles just go through the loops that are also for ice axes? Any way to secure the bottoms?

What is the large loop for inside the top left?

I assume I need to charge it before it will inflate, so expect more questions when I’ve figure that out Laughing

Anything I’ve missed? Why is none of this in the manual?

Ta very much.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Assuming I’ll be mains charging with the USB, should I also still add the 2x AA batteries?
If you want an in-the-field recharge then you need to add the batteries. Power will only be drawn from the batteries once the bag has been deployed.

Does the helmet carrier attach to the daisy chains?
Yep

What is the bottom centre Velcro tab for? Ice axe stabilisation?
Yep

To carry skis diagonally, pull the tab on the wire next to aforementioned Velcro tab, slide skis in and clip with the strap at the top?
Yep. But IMO it's always worth taking the extra couple of mins to use the side/A frame carry as the skis are waaaay more stable etc.

To carry skis on the sides, just use the upper and lower side clips?
Yep. Put ya poles though there as well. With tech bindings (apart from the Shift) you can clip/close the toe wings around the pole shaft.

Why does the bottom of the shovel pocket have Velcro seals?
If you have a shovel handle or probe that's longer than the pocket you can slide them through the velrco opening so that they protrude in the bottom of the main cargo area.

Poles just go through the loops that are also for ice axes? Any way to secure the bottoms?
Never tried that, see above.

Dunno. If you find a use let me know Laughing

I assume I need to charge it before it will inflate
Yep.

Anything I’ve missed?
Have you found the crotch strap tucked away in its pouch on the underside of the pack?

Why is none of this in the manual?
Cos men (being idiots) never read manuals.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@spyderjon, cheers, that explains most of it Cool

Quote:

Intriguing. It’s definitely a deliberate attachment.

Quote:
Anything I’ve missed?
Have you found the crotch strap tucked away in its pouch on the underside of the pack?

Yep, saw that.

That makes sense for the poles, thanks. I only asked because on my hiking bag there are two little loops at the bottom to catch the tips and stop them sliding through, but your method would work too. I guess in most cases I’ll probably have them in my hands anyway.

One more, I know I don’t have one, but how do you attach a snowboard?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What's a snowboard?

Also the mesh bag/cover that come with the pack makes a good laundry bag when travelling.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarlet wrote:
Quote:

Intriguing. It’s definitely a deliberate attachment.

I haven't seen the Patrol backpack yet, but I'm sure I have a pack somewhere with a loop like that, which I always assumed was to attach a carabiner to, so that you could hook things that you didn't want falling to the bottom (like cameras) to.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve seen that on some climbing packs too - I’d guess it’s for clipping gear to.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Those loops I think, and I've seen guides using them to carry rope etc externally to the pack.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam wrote:
Those loops I think, and I've seen guides using them to carry rope etc externally to the pack.

This is the single big loop on the inside of the pack.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@spyderjon, @Scarlet, our agent has accepted his mission, and we should have a definitive answer within two weeks, or maybe sooner Very Happy

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My bet is somewhere to attach a water bladder to stop it slipping down to the bottom of the pack.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was just talking to my Scott rep about this. As that loop is very similar to the loop that's on the waistband of the 40L packs our guess is that it could be for the same purpose, ie carabiners storage. He's asked Scott's HQ to comment.

Scarlet, for snowboard carry you extend the side carry ski straps to come around/over the pack. You'll see that the clasp arrangement on each side aren't symetrical meaning that when the straps meet in the middle you get a male/female connector.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
for snowboard carry you extend the side carry ski straps to come around/over the pack. You'll see that the clasp arrangement on each side aren't symetrical meaning that when the straps meet in the middle you get a male/female connector.

Ah ok, gotcha. I'm guessing snowshoes must attach in the same way.
latest report
Scarlet wrote:

One more, I know I don’t have one, but how do you attach a snowboard?

Ah himself has succeeded in turning you to the darkside? You'll be hanging out down the Burton store talking about your Lobster 360 Flipflops Bearnaise style.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, More in case he needed to borrow it tbh. He's got a beep and everything now Cool
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
.....Ah ok, gotcha. I'm guessing snowshoes must attach in the same way.

And to carry your stilettos just hook the heels through the equipment loops Toofy Grin
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
And to carry your stilettos just hook the heels through the equipment loops Toofy Grin

You've already tried them out then? NehNeh
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

You've already tried them out then? NehNeh

Laughing
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

spyderjon wrote:
Was just talking to my Scott rep about this. As that loop is very similar to the loop that's on the waistband of the 40L packs our guess is that it could be for the same purpose, ie carabiners storage. He's asked Scott's HQ to comment.

Yep, just confirmed by Scott HQ as a "gear loop for carabiners" - or for anything else you want to clip-on/hold in place.
snow report
@spyderjon, that guy holding it this morning is Woodsie, who runs Scott UK, we had a bit of a giggle over it all Laughing
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@spyderjon, that guy holding it this morning is Woodsie, who runs Scott UK, we had a bit of a giggle over it all Laughing

I presumed it would be as I know he lives your way. Top bloke.
ski holidays
I’’ve had the E1 30L for a few seasons which has been great for day touring but does take some Tetris skills to ensure it’s packed efficiently when taking the kitchen sink. I have added a shoulder strap water carrier as recommended by @Weathercam. Couple if add-ons this summer will include elastic cord lacing through the daisy chain loops to provide external storage of jacket without having to open the bag. Will also be adding a pouch on the hip belt for quick access to phone, haribos etc. I find the storage stuff pouch for the crotch belt impractical and in now just what the strap around yeh hip belt when not using. @spyderjon was so right to recommend the 30L.

I do however find it a little bulky for lift off-piste days as it is essentially empty apart from avalanche kit, a spare mid layer, goggle lens, sunglasses and hat. I wish the side straps could compress some more. As such I am thinking of getting a 22L as I spend much more time wearing the bag for lift days than touring days. Does anyone know if the 22L has a thinner / compact profile or is is simply a shorter 30L bag?
snow conditions
@Ozboy, E1 Patrol pack sizes are:

30 NL - H60 x W28 x D19cm
30 SL - H57 x W28 x D19cm
22 - H54 x W26 x D19cm

If you already have the 30 then it's pointless getting the 22.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy