Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season long insurance

Poster: A snowHead
*I have searched the site - results were incomplete/inconclusive*

This is one for folks/their offspring who have done seasons in the Alps.

Eldest Timberpup is off to Austria next week to do an Anwarter course (11 days) , then returning to the UK to hopefully sort out a visa which will enable him to work out there for longer than 79 days ( #thanksBrexit ).

Can the collective chip in with any advice about how we go about ensuring he is covered from an insurance point of view ? The specific things I'm thinking about are ;

1) Mountain rescue / medical cover - I think he will join the Austrian Alpine Club, which seems to offer season long rescue from the mountain ( on or off piste ) and even repatriation should something serious happen. Am I correct in thinking his EHIC card will provide some cover for more general medical expenses until it expires ? or do I need to beef that up a bit because of the length of time he's out there ?

2) Personal belongings - I've received ridiculous quotes because of the length of the trip, and because he's going 'for work' insurers don't seem to be able to grasp this ?

3) Surely when he is at work - he'll be completely covered by his employer ?

What was your experience ? Any thoughts ? Am I worrying too much ?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm interested in the results of this. Currently I'm looking at BMC insurance https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/ which including professional cover is £500 for me (54) for 79 days. I think offspring would be about £50 cheaper for similar cover. I need to call them to double check I actually need the professional part of the cover (there is a small chance that I may end up doing some instruction as I have an instruction course booked for the start of December which I'm not sure would be covered by standard holiday insurance)
So as I'm risk averse and would prefer to be over insured rather than under insured hence me looking at the professional extension rather than just going for a season holiday insurance (which I have seen for around £200)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Surely he needs a visa to work at all, not just for more than 79 days?

EHIC will cover general medical and can be renewed (GHIC) when it expires. Worth having rescue cover, can sometimes be bought with skipass, depends if he is buying a pass or being provided by employer.

I wouldn't bother with any cover for personally belongings as the premiums will be huge as you say.

Yes employer should provide cover (or option to buy cover) when working.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @snowrider, yes, probably needed something I guess, but for sure, it's harder now than it used to be - let's not turn the thread that way though please Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mrs t_m works for ski school. We always used MPI when we lived in the U.K.

https://mpibrokers.com/company-insurance/overseas-resort-staff-insurance
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Timberwolf, I think you will find the the AAC rescue insurance only covers "leisure activities" not something that might happen whilst in paid (however little) employment https://oeav.mitgliederversicherungsservice.at/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/oav_versicherungsbroschuere_EN_2020_fin_screen.pdf. If he is applying for a visa I would be 99% certain that Austria will insist on proper Austrian medical insurance as a condition of issuing the visa, a GHIC is not acceptable (certainly the case here in Germany). You might well be better off looking for insurance from an Austrian company, there must be many that offer all this to ski instructors.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting isn't it @munich_irish, because he wouldn't need the AAC rescue insurance when he is 'at work', only when he isn't..... does that mean leisure or not ?

The trouble is I think, that almost everything 'time expires'

Thanks @telford_mike, I'll take a look at MPI.

Cheers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Timberwolf, MPI not currently trading
"MPI is in the process of changing insurers and as a result this site will be down for updating and maintenance."
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So, with respect to @pieman666 @snowrider, @telford_mike, and @munich_irish, not loads of info out there ?

As I said, I wonder if I'm over-thinking this

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 12-10-21 9:36; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
whoops, and you @boredsurfin, wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Timberwolf, assuming your son is employed by a ski school, then he would receive an ecard for health insurance for the duration of the employment. Any other insurance would be his own responsibility, but I would assume that the type of normal tourism insurance that holidaymakers from the UK buy, would not be applicable.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Timberwolf, a good place to start might be the company that runs the AAC insurance scheme https://www.knox.co.at/ they seem to offer sports related insurance though I suspect any Austrian insurance broker could help. Rather than joining the UK section of the AAC he might be better off joining the parent club in Austria https://www.alpenverein.at/portal/index.php , that would avoid the issue of the time limit on being "abroad", after all this is not really a holiday trip but living in a particular place for a period of time. As I am sure you know there is unlikely to be an issue communicating with any Austrian business in English.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quick Google came up with these:-
https://www.bigcattravelinsurance.com/travel-insurance/ski-season-insurance/

https://www.skicover.com/long-stay-ski-insurance.aspx

https://www.seasonworkers.com/skijobs/ski-season-insurance.aspx

https://www.ergotravelinsurance.co.uk/ski-season-insurance
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What do you want to cover? If it is just getting to hospital when free skiing (not while working) then you can buy insurance via a local mountain rescue group. While working the ski school insurance would give you the cover you need to get off the mountain and into the health care system. The E Card would then cover medical costs. There would be no insurance for repatriation or accommodation costs.
This route however would probably require residency in Austria which will be required to work anyway. If you have Austrian residency then a UK company likely wouldn't offer you the cover you need.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I emailed MPI asking if they planned to start selling policies again prior to the start of the ski season and got this reply yesterday.

“We’re currently in the process of moving insurers, so for the meantime we still can’t issue new policies. We do hope to be up and running in the next few weeks so can log your details and let you know. But unfortunately, we don’t have a date for this yet, so we can’t guarantee it’ll be in time for your trip.

If you would like to get something in place urgently then I can seek an alternative insurer that might be able to provide you with a suitable policy”

@Kenzie, I looked at Skicover and got a quote of £504 for both of us from 25 November until mid April. Which I thought was ok.
latest report
I looked on the MPI site last year for insurance and they were moving insurers then...
snow conditions
Thank you @Kenzie, some interesting options there
snow conditions
Just copied this off the OSV website. If timberwolf junior can join this is what he could sign up for.

"Talent & Safe" for the coming season.

Your annual bonus amounts to
330 €
Calculation of premiums
Alpin

Affiliation:

birth date

your advantages
Protection around the clock & worldwide
Protection around the clock & worldwide
ÖSV "Talent & Safe" offers insurance cover for accidents in the leisure area, at work, at home and in traffic.

Exception: The ÖSV Accident Life Pension applies after an accident when practicing an ÖSV sport

Co-insured national & international competition risk
Competitive risk
There are no restrictions in insurance coverage when participating in national and international competitions of the respective ÖSV sport.

No health check
No health check
Due to the longstanding cooperation between ÖSV and UNIQA, no health check is necessary.

Insurer waives the right to terminate
Protection against dismissal
In the case of "Talent & Secure", the insurer has no right of termination during the current season.

TOP service
TOP service
Expansion of the ÖSV Helpline (member insurance) to include accidents in the leisure area and when practicing an ÖSV sport, including national and international competition risk.

Other advantages:
Other advantages
Bonus advantage
Assistance in handling claims under phone number:
Online damage report
Your insured benefits
Rescue costs € 15,000
Rescue costs € 15,000
Rescue costs are the proven costs of looking for the insured person as well as the transport costs to the next drivable road or to the nearest hospital.

Accident costs € 3,000:
Accident costs € 3,000
Only outpatient treatment costs after an accident are insured
General deductible € 100.00
Inpatient and day clinic treatments after an accident are NOT insured!
Permanent disability
Permanent disability
Basic insurance sum € 75,000 for permanent disability
Progression 600% performance, maximum performance € 450,000
Death by accident € 15,000:
Accidental death € 15,000
In the event of death as a result of an accident, we will pay the agreed sum insured.

International service including collection
International service including pick-up
Insurance cover exists for the first 8 weeks of every trip abroad.
The insurance covers the costs of inpatient or outpatient treatment abroad € 75,000
Medically necessary repatriation by TAA with no limit on the amount
ÖSV accident life pension € 1,000:
ÖSV accident life pension € 1,000
If, after an accident, when practicing an ÖSV sport, a permanent disability of more than 50% remains, the insurer pays a lifelong monthly pension in the amount of. € 1,000.
including competition risk

I think this means that it would cover him for all these benefits outside of ski school hours (when he'd be insured by the ski school).
Membership last year was 25 euros, from memory.
Then on top the 330 euros. Presumably different prices depending on age (the website doesn't allow entry of age without tabbing through)
ski holidays
I might edit the above down to remove some details. It's only for illustration.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy