Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chill factore for a rusty skier

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I've booked my first ski trip in 15 years for this winter but I have no idea whether I'll remember how to ski or not. I figured I'd head to Chill Factore in Manchester to get some practice in before the holiday. Do you think I need to take one of their lessons first or can I just dive back in?

I used to be pretty decent (red runs and some easy blacks) and would hate to waste a decent chunk of money on a lesson there just to be bored on the beginner slope. But even worse I don't want to break my neck or someone else's on the main slope if I'm not ready to be there. At Chill Factore can you use the beginners area if you're not on a lesson?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
I had a 30 year gap before returning. It all came back to me easily within 15 mins & after that I really just skied with the instructor I'd booked for the rest of the hour. Techniques have changed & you may need some help with that but I'm sure you will find starting again very straightforward; if you are feeling challenged then just snowplough for a bit & work up to it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hate to waste a decent chunk of money on a lesson
Versus
hate to waste a decent chunk of snowTime on learning what could have been covered in an hour's lesson

I had a break from skiing for a few years and jumped back on without any lessons, fine - or so I thought, until I had lessons Wink
I think you'll find your feet easily enough if you used to ski as you say you did but I'd say, having an hour 1 to 1 would be the perfect kick-start.
The critical bit really, is how good the instructor is - that's what determines whether the hour was "Meh, probably helped" or "Total no brainer!"

Welcome to snowHeads @tanyastories, snowHead
Where have you picked for your big come-back?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you! I'm going to Les Gets with The Ski Gathering (although I've just seen a thread on here rubbishing Les Gets Shocked ).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tanyastories, if it’s the thread I think it, said person “rubbishing” Les Gets lives nearby and is trying to put people off going there Laughing

I’ve gone for the last 8 seasons. I love it. This will be the first time we haven’t been in ages

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 11-10-21 20:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh and to answer the first question…. I would go to chill factor and blow the cobwebs off under your own steam. You’ll probably be nervy at the top of your first run, but you’ll be good after one or two runs.

I say this as someone who had about a 15 year break too. My first run back I was nervously eyeing up a tiny green run. After 2 runs I was fine.

Might be worth getting a more advanced lesson at chill factor just to right any wrongs before you head off to Les Gets.

If you want any hints n tips about Les Gets itself, give me a shout as I know it pretty well by now.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Timmycb5, thanks that's a good reason for talking down Les Gets I suppose Very Happy and thanks for your offer of information - I'll do a bit more homework preparing and may give you a shout.

Thanks for the advice. I've messaged Chill Factore to ask about a lesson. Definitely sounds like the way to go. I was a self taught skier before so I'm sure I'll have a million bad habits to correct even if I do remember how to ski so shouldn't be wasted, really.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a decent break from skiing and had been at the level you describe. I was also worried about the same thing, but once at the resort on a beginners slope for a few more runs there the basics all came back pretty quickly including how to ride a lift (you cant practice chairs in indoor slopes unless, I think, you head to Dubai). It wasnt as if I couldn't ski at all.

If its a big deal getting to the indoor slope and you are going to spend loads on its pass and lesson (those indoor slopes don't seem cheap compared to costs at a real slope), I would save it for the trip and get some lessons there with full immersion in the great outdoors if you wanted them.

But if you are going with other more recent skiers who you want to keep up with from minute one, then a quick refresher at the indoor slope might pay.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can get off the main slope at the Chill Factory about 1/3 of the way up and enjoy a very gentle run down. A few of those and you'll be fine at the top.

An hour or so spent on YouTube prior would be helpful too.

I had a private lesson at the Chill Factory last year and was pretty underwhelmed. From memory it was £85 or so (could have been more) If you want to practice afterwards you need to buy an additional lift pass as well.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks yes they're wanting £119 for an hour private lesson on the beginner slope. Highway robbery and much more expensive per hour than in resort. I like the idea of getting off the lift 1/3 of the way up for my first few runs. Surely I will still remember how to snowplough snowHead !!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep snowdome pricing is set up to discourage privates. To be honest if it's just getting a feel for it again and check what you can do it's probably not a big deal - it is like riding a bike in some respects. But you'd probably benefit from decent lessons on holiday to boost your return.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a 32 year break and definitely did need lessons. In my case, the general balance came back quickly but odd things like tripping up on my own poles showed that all was not as it should be.

I'd definitely go for a lesson or two in the fridge but only if you can get an instructor that teaches e.g. carving, moguls etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Definitely get lessons, but at £119 an hour I'd wait until resort. You certainly could try the snowdome out under your own steam.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am not a fan of the indoor slopes - too short , too crowded , rubbish snow , expensive and hire skis and boots often in terrible (and dangerous) condition .

I would instead spend the money on a private lesson in resort for your first morning - you will find after an hour or two it all comes flooding back (and likely easier as skis have changed quite a lot for the better in 15 years).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sheffskibod wrote:
I am not a fan of the indoor slopes - too short , too crowded , rubbish snow , expensive and hire skis and boots often in terrible (and dangerous) condition ..

+1
But it’s a good idea to find your ski legs and work on the basics (posture, balance, pressure) before heading back to the mountains. As I discover every year, it’s quite a shock to the system on the first day.
latest report
sheffskibod wrote:
I am not a fan of the indoor slopes - too short , too crowded , rubbish snow , expensive and hire skis and boots often in terrible (and dangerous) condition .

I would instead spend the money on a private lesson in resort for your first morning - you will find after an hour or two it all comes flooding back (and likely easier as skis have changed quite a lot for the better in 15 years).

Definitely this. £119 is ridiculous, I cant think why it would be so much.
ski holidays
Hi @tanyastories, I actually replied to your other thread in the other place! Glad you found something you are happy to book. I am a big fan of refreshing the skills in the snowdome. For my part I’d recommend a group lesson to find your feet (much cheaper). Don’t think you will need the snowdome nursery slope if you have skies at that intermediate level. Hemel run ladies’ group lessons at different levels- some are specifically getting comfortable with coming down the main slope - perhaps CF do something similar?
snow report
Just spent a very enjoyable 2 hours in the fridge at MK. First time I’ve slid since Feb 2020 in Les Gets and I was surprised how rusty I was! Only took 2 runs before I was comfortable again, and by the end I was hammering it down.

I think for people who only go skiing once or twice a year, it’s £30 we’ll spent just to blow the cobwebs off.

That said, anything longer than a single 2 hour session is probably overkill. The runs are SO short, it think it was taking me about 15 seconds (or there abouts) from top to bottom!
snow conditions
@Timmycb5, If there’s a next time, a good game to play with your ski chums is who can make the most turns in a run. Breaks up the monotony.
snow report
@AL9000, I’ll do that next time. Was on my own this time though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy