Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mobile phone gimbal

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Decided that action cams are not for me - I can never be bothered processing hours of video to compile a 5 minutes clip.

Instead I am considering getting a gimbal for my Pixel 4XL to film reasonably stabilised short clips here and there.

I am guessing all I need is
1) Good 3 axis stabilisation, for smooth panning and on the move shots
2) Secure phone clamp, losing my phone while filming is the last thing I need on the mountain
3) Secure grip with a tether
4) light and compact - of course

Does anyone use these? Are they any good?

There is one by DJI and of course several cheaper options on Amazon, e.g. Hohem
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have this one:-

http://youtube.com/v/qodDIfxZYzE

about 55 euros when I bought it.

You can follow skiers around with it and it will give really stable footage. Not too expensive if you break it. Strangely the quality of the video of the built in app is slightly poorer than the native phone app but unless you are doing tricky stuff like follow me or hyperlapse you don't need to use it.

Very easy to use. It works with action cams as well as phones. My 220 gram phone is about the limit of what it will take in terms of weight. Your Pixel 4XL should be fine.

The phone clamp seems safe but I always have an extra elastic just in case.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidof, thanks this one looks even better that what I've seen.

Do you use any tether with it then skiing?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oleski wrote:
@davidof, thanks this one looks even better that what I've seen.

Do you use any tether with it then skiing?

I think it is similar to the Hohem. Amazon don't seem to have the cinepeer at the moment but they are available. I guess it is China supply chain issues.

I don't use a tether but it seems like a good idea. I'm not too butter fingered to be honest, or maybe not skiing that fast.

The big advantage of stable footage is it compresses better (oh and doesn't give people sea sickness to watch).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@davidof, thanks for the info! Will definitely be getting one of these
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got the Zhiyun Smooth Q, which looks very similar to the one @davidof, has.

It's very good, particularly for the cost. Example as the first clip of this lot:
http://youtube.com/v/Y7qCP0v2aZQ
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anybody know of a gimbal that would take a bullet design camera (the tomtom camera)?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@joffy69, doesn't the tom-tom have the standard camera screw mount on the bottom?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowdave, looks good, certainly stops the constant horizon tilting I get from my GoPro Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
looks good for the money - is there a chestmount for that gimble?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowdave wrote:
I've got the Zhiyun Smooth Q, which looks very similar to the one @davidof, has.

It's very good, particularly for the cost. Example as the first clip of this lot:
http://youtube.com/v/Y7qCP0v2aZQ

Yes, that is nice stable footage, hard / impossible to achieve hand holding.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@joffy69, doesn't the tom-tom have the standard camera screw mount on the bottom?

No, it's got a proprietary clip, with an adapter for gopro mounts. Because of it's shape i've never come across a gopro gimbal that it would fit in.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy