Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sizing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I was wondering if you could help me with some sizing for skis, and what i should look at. I am 6" exactly (maybe slightly less but within an inch), 11 stone, and a slim build. I would like something easy, id say im intermediate- ski any piste, try the small - medium jumps, and maybe a little bit of off piste, but nothing backcountry haha. For information, i am going to Cervinia this year, fingers and toes crossed, if that helps. Also for boots i am foot size 9 - 10 (depends on company). please could you advise me on what to get, (cheapest possible ideally haha)

-alpine skier
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boots first. Go to a decent boot fitter and get properly fitted. Remainder of budget (if there's any left) on skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. Yup, boots first, bought from a Bootfitter that gets a recommendation on here.

2. If staying on Piste, with a Piste Ski: 165 - 170. If wanting something more versatile, go for a narrow (80-85mm) All Mountain Ski 170 - 175
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Length
In ski boots, stand the ski vertically in front of you
The tip of the ski should be somewhere between your chin and your nose

You won't go far wrong with that
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thank you all
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
6" you say, that could be tricky Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi - same build as me - I went boots first from a boot fitter (as recommended on here - which was absolutely brilliant advice, they are so comfy even after a first lift last lift day). Bought skis after 2 years, went for 173 All Mountain (Rossi Experience 8Cool. Most of my hire skis were 170-174 and the next size up was 180 and would probably still be using them if I had been brave enough. Have now moved up to 177 All Mountain (Volkl Mantra M5) that are a bit wider at the waist and the tips but actually weigh less - side by side they look a lot bigger. The next size up on the Mantra was 184 which I felt would be too much.

The 172 are super easy to ski and turn great for lots of short turns. In my experience of Cervinia, the runs are pretty wide and have never come across too many bumps, so probably suits a longer ski. I actually prefer on piste (and the Mantra gives lovely long carving turns on the groomers) but the more experienced group I ski with, want to spend all day finding ways to go off... Have been to Cervinia 3 times in late November and its always been a great kick off to the season with an excellent amount of snow. Got stuck once on the Zermatt side and had to walk back up to Theodulpass - not recommended Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
essex wrote:
6" you say, that could be tricky Very Happy

Well spotted....!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scrooger wrote:
Hi - same build as me - I went boots first from a boot fitter (as recommended on here - which was absolutely brilliant advice, they are so comfy even after a first lift last lift day). Bought skis after 2 years, went for 173 All Mountain (Rossi Experience 8Cool. Most of my hire skis were 170-174 and the next size up was 180 and would probably still be using them if I had been brave enough. Have now moved up to 177 All Mountain (Volkl Mantra M5) that are a bit wider at the waist and the tips but actually weigh less - side by side they look a lot bigger. The next size up on the Mantra was 184 which I felt would be too much.

The 172 are super easy to ski and turn great for lots of short turns. In my experience of Cervinia, the runs are pretty wide and have never come across too many bumps, so probably suits a longer ski. I actually prefer on piste (and the Mantra gives lovely long carving turns on the groomers) but the more experienced group I ski with, want to spend all day finding ways to go off... Have been to Cervinia 3 times in late November and its always been a great kick off to the season with an excellent amount of snow. Got stuck once on the Zermatt side and had to walk back up to Theodulpass - not recommended Smile

haha thank you so much, I certainly will try not to engage in unnecessary
walking hahah
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Full kit ready to go.

https://www.eagleeyesactionstation.co.uk/vintage-action-man---ski-patrol-1960s-woodgrain-card-7392-p.asp
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As others have said, the first priority is the boots, bought from and professionally fitted by someone who is a reputable fitter. Comfort and a precise fit is way more important than looks.

But might be an idea to rent the skis if you're only going leisure skiing one week a year, esp if you're flying, as ski carriage costs often equal rental costs.

That way, you can rent what's needed for the conditions and type of skiing you want to do. Many deals let you swap them midweek too, if you don't like them. Also you get to try new products as they come out.

But saying that, I did buy my own a few years back when they were cheaper pre-Brexit-pound-slump and ski carriage was also more reasonable. I'm similar height, if you meant just under 6 feet, not inches! I have some 171cm Atomic Nomad All-Mountain skis that let me rip through the crud on piste and play around the edges a bit.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:
Boots first. Go to a decent boot fitter and get properly fitted. Remainder of budget (if there's any left) on skis.

That’s from a man who sells skis for a living, says it all. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

That’s from a man who sells skis for a living, says it all. snowHead

And from a man that doesn't sell boots. I knew there was a flaw in my business plan!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@spyderjon, Madeye-Smiley
I think you should be an agent for robotic lawn mowers during off season if there is one.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You're probably looking at £400-500 upwards for a decent pair of skis now.

It'll take a hell of a long time to amortise that cost with ski carriage at £80-90 a go, plus annual servicing costs, when you can often rent nice skis for around £100 for your typical 6-day holiday week.

If you're driving and/or doing multiple weeks per season, the calculations could be more favourable to owning.
ski holidays
Including non-financial, intangible and emotional considerations in…
Quote:

…the calculations could be more favourable to owning.

The Precioussssss Madeye-Smiley
latest report
After you've got your boots:

https://www.powder7.com/downhill-ski-size-chart/sizing-guide
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy