Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Norway

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have anything positive to say about downhill skiing/boarding in Norway? Work will take me there over the winter months and I’ll have some weekends to get out and about. Someone told me Norway was $hit for slopes but I’d like a 2nd opinion or 10!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been there once to Trysil, and had planned to get to Gaustablikk (Heroes of Telemark and all that) but covid put paid to that. There's not miles of runs or great difficulty on piste but we enjoyed it. Liked the country, the people and there's a nice feel on the slopes, none of this aggressive skiing/skier you can get in certain European countries and not too busy. You'll need to not mind drags though, so boarding might be less enjoyable than in other countries. Most of the resorts in the South seem to be a bit of a distance from Olso but the driving is straightforward and seems to be really the only way to get to them.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 9-10-21 23:28; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skidm, had that someone actually been skiing in Norway? The mountains are not as big as the Alps, and pistes not as long. You have to be happy on drag lifts, there are plenty of t bars to enjoy. It can be cold, and dark. But equally the slopes are often quiet, other skiers tend to be polite, there are huts to warm up in (often with a grill for hot dogs etc), floodlit skiing, tons of off-piste potential and some of the most spectacular scenery anywhere. And of course there's cross country tracks everywhere. So if you keep an open mind, you'll find great skiing. If, on the other hand, you want long runs and large vertical, you may be disappointed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers for the replies. @ster, will check out Trysil. Drags are fine, even for a boarder like me. Don’t mind small & short, just as long as it ain’t flat!. @mgrolf, I think they had spent a day or 2 there, so I do take their negative opinion with a pinch of salt. Totally get your point about being open minded - some of the most memorable times I’ve had on a board were off the beaten track at some relatively unknown resort.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skidm, where will you be based? Having a car will help, but you can get to many of the resorts by public transport. If you are in Oslo, don't forget there are slopes within the city - Winter Park - so evening skiing is possible as well.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mgrolf, trips to Oslo, Stavanger, Bergen and Trondheim most likely. Car hire is a possibility.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ok - Norwegian here. Trysil is 2.5 hours from Oslo and is quite large (not Alp large), but a lot of fun and varied runs. Hemsedal is 3.5 hours and has more of an "alp feeling". I would say for pisted runs, Trysil is better than Hemsedal. But, there is a huge variety of hills here.

As mrgolf mentioned, Winter Park (or Tryvann as everyone here calls it), is great. Most serious skiiers in the Olso area have a season pass, as its great value.

Send me a pm if you want more tips
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skidm, Some rather nice skiing in Norway just depends where you are based. Voss and Geilo have enough for a "weekend" break, I also like Hafjell/Lillehammer. Whilst none of the resorts are "big" there is enough to enjoy in these three.

https://www.skiresort.info/best-ski-resorts/norway/ ....... has some other more detailed info.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I rode a couple of glaciers there in the summer a while back (Stryn, and somewhere bottom left-ish).
Both were decent looking hills. And the beer was excellent.

Sure, don't fly there from UK just for the snow, but if you happen to be there, then I'd ride
what's on your doorstep. And compared with Hemel Hempstead (on my doorstep), it's the opposite of "$hit".
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Both Stranda and Narvik are excellent with extraordinary views
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you can’t go blasting down, use the slopes to improve another skill set like freestyle.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been to Hafjell twice and Covid out paid to a third trip. 2 hrs on train Oslo to Lillehammer then half hour by bus. Or hire car straight up the E6 from Oslo. Loved Hafjell and will definitely be back. No it's not the alps but well groomed slopes, enough to keep us entertained for a week. I loved the atmosphere and whole set up. Now I am really missing Norway. Such a civilised country
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skidm wrote:
Cheers for the replies. @ster, will check out Trysil. Drags are fine, even for a boarder like me. Don’t mind small & short, just as long as it ain’t flat!. @mgrolf, I think they had spent a day or 2 there, so I do take their negative opinion with a pinch of salt. Totally get your point about being open minded - some of the most memorable times I’ve had on a board were off the beaten track at some relatively unknown resort.

Not to put you off but there are a couple of drags about a mile long. But we did find that with a bit of planning you could get around most of the resort without using the drags, they could be tiring on the legs after a long day even on skis!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are in Trondheim, then Are in Sweden is not far away (2.5 hour train journey)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow wrote:
Both Stranda and Narvik are excellent with extraordinary views

This

Oppdal is worth a look if there is fresh snow though can be a pain to get around. Worth looking at if staying in Trondheim. Never been busy when we have skied there.

If staying in Bergen then Voss is not far at all and easy to get to by train. Great train trip and well worth it. Voss snow conditions can be excellent with the right weather conditions.

https://www.vossresort.no/en/getting-here/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy